Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

brian_t wrote: »
    Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday - 26th, 27th and 26th @ 9pm

Yorkshire Ripper doc starts tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Yorkshire Ripper doc starts tonight

Excellent first episode, really well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

For anyone not following Follow the Money I see that Cardinal season three is advertised as Coming Soon.

Follow the Money will finish on Saturday 4th May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema starts on Tuesday at 9pm.

First up romcoms, followed by heist movies, coming-of-age stories, science fiction and horror.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/mark-kermode/58790/mark-kermodes-secrets-of-cinema-news

Mark is back with Disaster Movies tonight at 9 PM. It appears to be a one off, did they lose this behind the sofa?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mark is back with Disaster Movies tonight at 9 PM. It appears to be a one off, did they lose this behind the sofa?

Maybe there was a disaster around the time of original air date. BBC are sensitive to that kind of thing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The first 5 were Rom-com, Heist, Coming of age, Science fiction and Horror.

Tonight's one is followed by The Finest Hours , not an epic Disaster Movie.
    Drama based on a true story. A small US coastguard team tackle gigantic waves and gale-force winds as they attempt to save 30 sailors stranded on a rapidly sinking oil tanker. [2016]

Also on BBC4 Saturday 27th 11pm
    On BBC 2 at 20:30 there's 2001: A Space Odyssey followed by Paths Of Glory at 22:50.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

For anyone not following Follow the Money I see that Cardinal season three is advertised as Coming Soon.

Follow the Money will finish on Saturday 4th May.

Start date on BBC4 is 11th May for Cardinal

https://twitter.com/scanoircouk/status/1123621609410125824

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Any update on Spiral? I'm in pieces contemplating various fates for Gilou and his giant panda!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Any update on Spiral? I'm in pieces contemplating various fates for Gilou and his giant panda!

Think there was trailer for it on BBC 4 lately so hopefully within next few months!

It has appeared in a general promo for Saturday drama on BBC4.

Cardinal will take up three Saturdays so June 1st would be the next free date.

• Advertisement

So back to Beeb 4 then? That's good. It bodes well for the future of the channel if they've stopped shifting the foreign drama to 2.

A whole month to go. Putain! At least GoT and LoD can ameliorate the wait somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭cozar

Same here had forgotten about the panda! Can’t wait.

When Cardinal season 3 ends on Saturday week - the first two seasons will be repeated over the following three nights.

Coming later this summer:

BBC Four acquires new Scandinavian drama series, State Of Happiness
    It’s the summer of 1969 in the small coastal town of Stavanger, Northern Europe. Stavanger lives off fish, and the North Sea is emptying out. No more cod, no more herring. Something has to happen. The town is in crisis.

International oil companies have been test drilling for years, but nothing has been found and they are in the process of leaving. Phillips Petroleum, however, are contracted to drill a final hole.

The night before Christmas 1969, the gas flare at the Ocean Viking is lit. Phillips has found the largest sub-sea oil basin in history. And everything is about to change.

Norway’s oil was never owned privately, the state kept it, and in 1969, Norwegians were wealthy. State Of Happiness explores how it happened, how much individuals are willing to give up for the greater good, and how much society is willing to give up for each and everyone else.

The eight episodes cover the years 1969-1972 and follows stories of four young people growing up in a country that, in a matter of a few years, will change from being a small fishing nation and European outpost, to becoming a leading oil nation. The series shows how these four people, their families and relationships, are affected by this dramatic growth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/state-of-happiness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Still no word on Spiral ?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Still no word on Spiral ?
    No.

It seems like Inspector Montalbano series 13 starts on Saturday 1st June at 9pm.

There are 2 episodes in this series.

Fans of European and World TV Dramas

·

8h

Exciting news item 1. Season 8 of #Spiral (#Engrenages) has started filming. Info via various French media outlets (including

@allocine

. We're just sharing the basic info. though since we're still waiting for season 7 in the UK. Filming is set to last for 5 months.

I wonder what the reason is for delaying broadcast of s7 on the Beeb?

Great news about an eigth series, though. Unless they do a GoT with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The episode of Montalbano on now is a brand new one from February 2019, L'altro capo del filo, season 13 Episode 1. Strange that the website says they're showing an old one that's already been on, and also that they missed out two episodes from 2018, Carousel and Love. The episode order and division into series never matched the original Italian order anyway, but confusing nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Bit like Italian car or tractor wiring diagrams.
    Nothing ever fully matches the legend...

Alun wrote: »
    The episode of Montalbano on now is a brand new one from February 2019, L'altro capo del filo, season 13 Episode 1. Strange that the website says they're showing an old one that's already been on, and also that they missed out two episodes from 2018, Carousel and Love. The episode order and division into series never matched the original Italian order anyway, but confusing nonetheless.

If you are refering to the BBCs own website I think they got the programme description right but I didn't watch it.

I got my details from DigiGuide who I presume get their listings from the BBC.
    DigiGuide referred to the episode as new and gave it the right name but did refer to series 6 episode 1.
    I assumed it was series 13 and referred to it as such in my post above #888.

According to DigiGuide A Diary from ‘43 is on next week.

At the moment DigiGuide suggests that there will be an Inspector Montalbano repeat on the following Saturday (June 15th).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Raft is on at 9 PM and there is no quick repeat, should be worth watching - about one of those mad social experiments from that era as a group set off out to sea to survive the elements and each other.

Also fans of Italian crime fiction genre set your VCR for Saturday night/Sunday morning at 0.55 hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We here are fans of BBC4 and we've been watching most of what has been posted here. Didn't realise there was a BBC4 thread so I've subbed so I don't miss anything. We watched Montalbano the other night and although I always have a lot of questions during these episodes (why didn't he?, how did he?, etc., etc) I do enjoy them, including the daft policeman in the police station who is straight out of Laurel & Hardy!! I've recorded the Raft too.

At the moment DigiGuide suggests that there will be an Inspector Montalbano repeat on the following Saturday (June 15th).
    They are repeating A Delicate Matter - first shown in August 2017.

I wonder why they are repeating dramas when they a few new ones ready. The latest series of Spiral and their new Norwegian drama State Of Happiness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cbq6b/broadcasts/upcoming

The BBC website is a mess. They've at least now changed the title of last week's episode to the correct one, albeit still under the incorrect Series 6. However, under the All Episodes tab they now have en empty placeholder for Series 13 which is the correct one for the two new episodes.

Was it me, or was the Italian/American character Giovanni/Johnny on last night's Montalbano overdubbed? The lipsync was way out. I wonder if when they recorded it they used an authentic American Italian and then decided afterwards that the Italian audience wouldn't be able to understand him or something?

EDIT: Looks like I was right, it was Dominic Chianese who apparently was on the Sopranos.

I had recorded and just watched the last episode of Montalbano Series 6 I think. Did anyone notice the priest/Bishop who mentioned his granddaughter?? Montalbano didn't react to this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I had recorded and just watched the last episode of Montalbano Series 6 I think. Did anyone notice the priest/Bishop who mentioned his granddaughter?? Montalbano didn't react to this at all.

Fecking device didn't record for me. Guess it was down to a new series or time change. #rage

• Advertisement

Series 4 of Montalbano is being shown on BBC4 on Saturday 22nd June I think.

Advertisement