Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This game is unbelievable. It's being awhile since I've had so much fun playing a single player. Holding off starting Last Guardian until this is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Started playing a bit of MP yesterday and really enjoyed it even though i was rubbish. Is there a Boards group for this?
    Was playing BF1 MP but just can't get into it. This is far more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

August 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Pre-orders will get the four upcoming Jak and Daxter PS2 classics for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I hope that counts with physical pre orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Pre-orders will get the four upcoming Jak and Daxter PS2 classics for free.

Actually, just the first one.

The best one IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Late to the party. Played this while I take a break from Nier.

This game unfortunately did absolutely nothing for me. Bland, boring and way too linear. Also way too much focus on story. The actual gunplay and stealth was fun but there was so little of it with minutes to hours of boring in between. I only really enjoyed the last few gun fights in the game which ended way too soon. Also the
    exploding mummies
    section was hot garbage game design.

With games out at the moment like breath of the wild and Persona 5 that are all about the gameplay systems has me spoiled I fear and a linear game that mostly plays itself just isn't doing it for me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Late to the party. Played this while I take a break from Nier.

This game unfortunately did absolutely nothing for me. Bland, boring and way too linear. Also way too much focus on story. The actual gunplay and stealth was fun but there was so little of it with minutes to hours of boring in between. I only really enjoyed the last few gun fights in the game which ended way too soon. Also the
    exploding mummies
    section was hot garbage game design.

With games out at the moment like breath of the wild and Persona 5 that are all about the gameplay systems has me spoiled I fear and a linear game that mostly plays itself just isn't doing it for me.

I actually enjoyed the game-play as you say, especially the truck sections mixed in and the gun-play in general felt tighter than previous iterations.

I'm with you in relation to the story, I got so sick and tired of the whole walk into random archaic building, spend ages talking about some mumbo jumbo artifact, then move along to next segment.

I started to zone out the more I progressed and by the end just started skipping the cutscenes until I got to the last couple of levels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I kind of see where they were going with it. The naughty dog games are criticised for the colossal amount of carnage in them which seems at odd to the narrative so they cut back on it. However it's to the detriment of the overall game and there's still an insane amount of carnage anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just completed this myself - It was beautiful to look at, probably the nicest game I've seen on a console - but it couldn't alleviate the boredom I felt during big chunks of the game with geniunely exciting or captivating segments few and far between. It got a bit more interesting near the end but it felt too little, too late. Some of the cutscenes felt MGS4 length at times. Part of me wonders would they possibly do something more interesting with the formula in the Lost Legacy but at the moment I think I've had my fill of the series so I'm not too pushed about it.. T'is a pity it was a bit of damp squid - a gorgeous looking damp squid but a damp squid none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Completed it yesterday and enjoyed it so much I think I might pick up the remastered collection and replay the first three games in anticipation of Lost Legacy. Can anyone confirm that they improved the flaky controls in the first two games? I remember being driven crazy by them at the time. I recall the third game having a major dead zone problem as well which they reluctantly issued a fix for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

How do you get Jax and daxer when you pre order?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

deadybai wrote: »
    How do you get Jax and daxer when you pre order?

Probably a DLC code that comes with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm finding this game so difficult to get through. I have played the first 3 games but think this is very bland and long winded.

Doesn't help that I'm playing it on hard and came across a terrible difficulty spike on chapter 18 where the game just throws loads of well equipped enemies at you with little in the way of respite.

Think I'm going to put it back on the backlog for the second time and revisit in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'm finding this game so difficult to get through. I have played the first 3 games but think this is very bland and long winded.

Doesn't help that I'm playing it on hard and came across a terrible difficulty spike on chapter 18 where the game just throws loads of well equipped enemies at you with little in the way of respite.

Think I'm going to put it back on the backlog for the second time and revisit in a few months.

Surprised by this.

In my opinion it's one of the best PS4 games period.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Surprised by this.

In my opinion it's one of the best PS4 games period.

I'd agree with him. Found the game a chore at times and pretty boring and I was a massive fan of the original trilogy on the PS3. Beautiful game to look at though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

To be fair when it's good it is very good and I love that it is so cinematic.

But I do think they could have made it better by stripping out a few hours here and there. For instance the chapter
    where young Nathan and Sam break into the mansion to retrieve their mother's diary
    could be removed and turned into a quick flashback maybe. Some chapters just feel a little bloated and could have been shortened.

By no means am I saying it's a bad game, it's a very good one, but I think in this case less could have been more.

I played through the entire Nathan Drake collection last year and loved them.

I found Uncharted 4 really badly paced and boring myself. There's just way too many cutscenes and walking around looking at scenery and platforming with zero risk of death. There's lots of complaints about the combat in Uncharted games but I think Uncharted 4 had pretty great combat and it's a pity there is so little of it. What is there is fun but it's broken up by large chunks of boring.

Found it very tough to get through and my 6-8 hours of the game felt like 20.

To be fair when it's good it is very good and I love that it is so cinematic.

But I do think they could have made it better by stripping out a few hours here and there. For instance the chapter
    where young Nathan and Sam break into the mansion to retrieve their mother's diary
    could be removed and turned into a quick flashback maybe. Some chapters just feel a little bloated and could have been shortened.

By no means am I saying it's a bad game, it's a very good one, but I think in this case less could have been more.

I played through the entire Nathan Drake collection last year and loved them.

Some of the sections that involved hopping around cliffs were excruciatingly dull. They could have all been trimmed back. There was not an ounce of fun in them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's just way too many cutscenes and walking around looking at scenery and platforming with zero risk of death.

Sounds like much of the series tbh.
    I have played through the original three and was seldom at risk of demise in the midst of the pretty backdrops.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sounds like much of the series tbh.
    I have played through the original three and was seldom at risk of demise in the midst of the pretty backdrops.

True but it's the pacing that is way off here. In the othe runcharted games, they keep things interesting, bursts of combat, short wind down and then back into combat or a platforming challenge. Here it's just blah, blah, blah or climbing around for ages with nothing to break it up.

I can actually see what Naughty Dog were doing, trying to address the dissonance of Nathan being a sociopath grating against the characterisation and story they were telling so reduced the amount of combat. That might work for a narrative focused medium but they are making a videogame here and it just does not work. And Nathan still kills an insane amount of people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really liked the balance of combat, story, exploration and cinematic set-pieces in this game. It was the first one in which they got it right IMO. I thought the combat was the weakest part of the previous games, which I played mostly on easy because I disliked the endless shooting battles with enemies that would spawn out of thin air while my back was turned. That and the horrible controls in the first two games meant this was always a series that I was more interested in watching and experiencing than playing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I definitely think this is the closest they got to an Uncharted game that overcomes the series' self-imposed limits. It's not perfect by any stretch - still too much bloody killing and climbing - but I terms of presentation and storytelling - and that includes how the player is involved in the unfolding drama - it's the finest hour by a considerable margin. Could have benefited from a length more comparable to Uncharted 2, though - there's a good bit of wasted space in there (not the more open sections though, which were pretty great).

That said, by another considerable margin Left Behind is still Naughty Dog's masterpiece. I think the studio would excel in the sort of shorter form storytelling you see in the likes of Tacoma or Edith Finch. Probably never going to happen - the burden of the AAA - but definitely the area in which the studio is most assured and talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Hated this game, it was sooo boring and repetitive. Uncharted 2 is by a country mile the best of the series, it was like playing Raiders of the Lost Ark. So disappointed with Uncharted 4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Restarted this tonight , good so far anyway, Lol a tch4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I found Uncharted 4 really badly paced and boring myself. There's just way too many cutscenes and walking around looking at scenery and platforming with zero risk of death. There's lots of complaints about the combat in Uncharted games but I think Uncharted 4 had pretty great combat and it's a pity there is so little of it. What is there is fun but it's broken up by large chunks of boring.

Found it very tough to get through and my 6-8 hours of the game felt like 20.

mainly because uncharted 3 had way too much combat I defiantly think 4 paced combat alot better but they should have removed a few chapters near the end for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I had franchise fatigue by the time I was playing 4 and found it a chore at times too. God damn it though Lost Legacy is getting pretty good reviews, 86 on metacritic. Don't mind paying Naughty Dog tbh

I'm very interested on Lost Legacy. Having the game more open and far, far better pacing between combat and down time with that Uncharted 4 combat sounds a lot better than the snorefest U4 was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Really looking forward to The Lost Legacy too. If Left Behind was anything to go by, it should be great.

Advertisement