Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Finished the game just there. Up there with Witcher 3 for me in terms of story.

Both of them had the issue where I couldn't stop because I was so engaged in the story.

I almost read the ending at work today because I just couldn't get it out of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Jester252 wrote: »
    Finished the game just there. Up there with Witcher 3 for me in terms of story.

Both of them had the issue where I couldn't stop because I was so engaged in the story.

I almost read the ending at work today because I just couldn't get it out of my mind.

how many hours did it take you to complete?

francozola wrote: »
    If you check stock number 5052558 you will be able to reserve the item now.
    Retailing at 62.99

Out of interest how did you find the stock number? Slightly off-topic but I'm looking for Doom on Argos website and can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Out of interest how did you find the stock number? Slightly off-topic but I'm looking for Doom on Argos website and can't find it.

They are slow at putting new games up, uncharted wasnt showing right away either, might be showing tomorrow or the days following.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Finished the game there last night myself, fantastic experience from start to finish, though I will say by the end of my 17 hour playthrough certain mechanics had definitely outstayed their welcome. I'm not one to complain about game length usually, but I genuinely think the whole experience would have benefited from being an hour or two shorter, as certain sections towards the end of the game did begin to feel like a drag for me personally.

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    how many hours did it take you to complete?

Not to sure 10 to 15 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CrazyMark

nix wrote: »
    Would i be right in saying Argos is the cheapest store to pick this up in? €62.99 currently

My Supervalu (knocklyon) still has loads left at €59

goon_magee wrote: »
    Finished the game there last night myself, fantastic experience from start to finish, though I will say by the end of my 17 hour playthrough certain mechanics had definitely outstayed their welcome. I'm not one to complain about game length usually, but I genuinely think the whole experience would have benefited from being an hour or two shorter, as certain sections towards the end of the game did begin to feel like a drag for me personally.

End Game Spoiler
    I was worried to about the drag but the epilogue with Cassie is a a nice pay-off for the whole series. It draw a line under the story of Nate while still leaving an opening. I'm glad they didn't kill off anyone, that is just some cheep end of series storytelling. Also I'm 90% certain that there is a gameplay trailer that ends with Nate and Sully trapped at a cliff that is not in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I couldn't even beat Elena's high score :eek:
    Using the d-pad threw me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jester252 wrote: »
    Not to sure 10 to 15 hours

And it's possible to do a 6hr speed run too.
    Good going, only got 2 or so hours on Tuesday night and have not had a chance to sit down with the game since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Just finished the story now myself; really enjoyed it even if it did go on a bit towards the end; prob my favourite game series; not sure I'd play through it again tho so debating whether to cash in with cex; anyone playing the MP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Just finished the story now myself; really enjoyed it even if it did go on a bit towards the end; prob my favourite game series; not sure I'd play through it again tho so debating whether to cash in with cex; anyone playing the MP?

Yeah its fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

ERG89 wrote: »
    I couldn't even beat Elena's high score :eek:
    Using the d-pad threw me :o

I was useless at it as well. Even though I had the game when I was younger! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Done and dusted.

Nicely closed out the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

CHAPTER 11!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Finished this today. Wonderfully rounded off the series. It took me about 12.5 hours to complete, I wasn't rushing through by any means, and I don't think there was a moment of annoyance or frustration involved really. Other than my own stupidity that got me killed numerous times.

Sublime game that, for me, takes #1 spot in the series ranking closely followed by UC2.

I could easily write a 12+ page essay on what I liked and loved about this, from the story, writing, graphics, characters, music, atmosphere, themes, human aspect etc. it all adds up to one of the best games I've played. I can't even remember another PS4 game where I actively took time to take pictures of. I'd imagine that added on about 2/3 hours of game time itself.

After taking some time to think upon finishing it and then writing this, I feel UC4 has become my favourite PS4 game. Perhaps it might be due to the recentness of it, but theres not another game in memory that has made me feel somewhat 'empty' upon realising the story, and game is over.

Completed in just over 13 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm on chapter 16, about 12 hours or so. It's a joy to play. Brought a smile to my face on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

its all over I feel so empty really amazing game

up there with uncharted 2

will probly take another playthrough to see if its better but as of now uncharted 2 is still the best of the franchise imo

I think the game could have used at least 1 major setpiece style part though in the closeing hours it felt too samey going around the island

Tut tut Nate. Lara has been showing you tricks again I see. ;)
    Nearly finished now. I'm on chapter 22.....
    I have really enjoyed it but can understand why people said it drags on a bit towards the end.
    It deals you a hand over halfway through & after a while you don't see many new tricks. Especially the downhill sliding, last second grapple hooks, crumbling bridges, boosts & on rails chases got used a little too much. I loved the puzzles & moments of interaction ala Last of Us. I expected to see more influences from TLoU. Btw How fùcking green was New Devon btw, Loved it & **** those exploding mummies.
    I'd hold it behind 2 but well ahead of 3 & especially 1.

• Advertisement

Still debating myself whether or not it's better than 2

I think we are all going to be complaing now that there wasn't enough! Not a bad complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Theres single player DLC coming at some point down the line, so I'm happy about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I've just finished the sections in Scotland. It's undoubtedly a great game but I must admit I'm quickly becoming tired of the formula. I know it's a 'only a game' but it's various conventions are pulling me right out of the action. The different coloured ledges and various incongruously placed items just scream 'videogame' and feel at odds with some of the better, more mature moments.

We've all heard (and are possibly tired of) the phrase ludonarrative dissonance, but I must say it's becoming a very real issue for me. I simply cannot reconcile Drake's worried phonecalls to his wife with the person that's been snapping necks and executing headshots for the previous 45 minutes. I'm not able to buy into it. I enjoy both aspects of the game but I cannot mentally unify them into a single narrative. It's as if I'm playing two different games.

My favourite moment so far was the time spent in Drake's loft. I nearly cried, along with Drake, when I saw that photo of Tenzin! And then jumping around with the toy pistol and feeling all nostalgic about Drake's running and gunning. But if you've played the previous three games you'll have shot down hundreds of enemies, many of them in cold blood. It just doesn't feel right. This wouldn't be a problem if these games were just action spectacles. However, Naughty Dog have created so much more than that over the past decade. There are moments of extraordinary subtlety and tenderness throughout the Uncharted series, not to mention The Last of Us, so when friction like this arises it creates huge problems for any sense of immersion.

I'm gonna enjoy the rest of this game, but I really hope this is the end of Nathan Drake and that Naughty Dog go on to build upon The Last of Us, and particularly Left Behind, by trying, as successfully as possible, to bring together the various elements that they are so good at doing individually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You are seriously just at the point when some of the concerns you mentioned start getting addressed (or at the very least acknowledged). I'm completely the same with Uncharted's dissonance, and it really dragged down the third game for me. I welcomed The Last of Us as an attempt to reflect a world where, at least, the bloodshed was more thematically and contextually justified (that stupid mounted gun section aside). And yes, this game follows the same basic structure, so there's lots of precarious ledges and lots of mercenaries to kill (although there are much longer gaps without combat sections, thankfully). But from Chapter 11 onwards the game does introduce some intriguing new 'openess' in terms of exploration, and the story shifts gear to start acknowledging some of the contradictions that have been inherent in the series since its inception. There's one scene a little later on,
    where Elena picks Nathan's gun, and her expression
    is IMO Naughty Dog acknowledging in a really articulate and effective way that disconnect that has always existed between the game's story and combat.

Now, it's still Uncharted, with all the crumbling ledges and action that implies. But this, to me, seems like a more mature game too, almost as if they're trying to make the most self-aware game they can while staying true to the series formula. As much as I'd love to see a Naughty Dog/Uncharted game without any combat whatsoever (Left Behind being the closest we've gotten yet) and a new IP that breaks free from the house gameplay, this is an earnest, committed attempt at making an Uncharted game that reflects on some of the contradictions and hypocrisies of being an Uncharted game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

You are seriously just at the point when some of the concerns you mentioned start getting addressed (or at the very least acknowledged). I'm completely the same with Uncharted's dissonance, and it really dragged down the third game for me. And yes, this game follows the same basic structure, so there's lots of precarious ledges and lots of mercenaries to kill (although there are much longer gaps without combat sections, thankfully). But from Chapter 11 onwards the game does introduce some intriguing new 'openess' in terms of exploration, and the story shifts gear to start acknowledging some of the contradictions that have been inherent in the series since its inception.

Now, it's still Uncharted, with all the crumbling ledges and action that implies. But this, to me, seems like a more mature game too, almost as if they're trying to make the most self-aware game they can while staying true to the series formula. As much as I'd love to see a Naughty Dog/Uncharted game without any combat whatsoever (Left Behind being the closest we've gotten yet), this is an earnest, committed attempt at making an Uncharted game that reflects on some of the contradictions and hypocrisies of being an Uncharted game.

That's brilliant to hear! It sounds very intriguing.

Yeah, it's still an Uncharted game and if it didn't have endless death I'd probably complain about that! But I guess at 4 games in I'm kinda looking for something more, especially when the game is actually already delivering it in other areas.

A while ago this wouldn't have bothered me. I'm only a casual gamer and the idea of a disconnect between story and gameplay just wouldn't have been part of my thinking. But I've been playing stuff like The Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy and Braid recently and I've noticed the perfect bend of (admittedly very light) story and gameplay. They're just flawlessly put together, what I would call pure videogame experiences. They've made me look back and reassess other approaches to game and narrative development.

Of course there's no point in comparing those titles to a series like Uncharted, but at the same time it's making me wonder what a Naughty Dog game would feel like if everything was pulling in the same direction. In fact, maybe Uncharted 4 shows us what it would be like with the
    Crash Bandicoot
    sequence. :P

I'm currently playing Dark Souls 3, my first From Software game. Again, there's no point in comparing it to Uncharted 4, but what I expect from a game will never be the same again. The fantastical setting allows certain systems and conventions, like continuously healing and dying, to feel natural in a way that will always feel 'gamey' in a real world setting. But more than that, the whole thing just sings with the type of internal logic that I'd expect from Mario or Super Meat Boy.

Finished it didn't come near crying at any point there was more emotion in one giraffe in TLOU than 95% of this tbh....The story wasn't all that different from past games in the series I felt despite the increase in length and frequency of quiet moments it was a summer adventure.
    Nate's brother was just not that sympathetic & so much of the story is standing by him over and over.
    The combat is a bit necessary too as you rarely instigate a fight & the mercenaries are trying to halt your progress or y'know kill you.
    Same argument was brought up too with Tomb Raider too. I really an not sure what people expect Nate or Lara to do differently from other characters. Dig a few graves or send a book of condolences maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

ERG89 wrote: »
    Finished it didn't come near crying at any point there was more emotion in one giraffe in TLOU than 95% of this tbh....The story wasn't all that different from past games in the series I felt despite the increase in length and frequency of quiet moments it was a summer adventure.
    Nate's brother was just not that sympathetic & so much of the story is standing by him over and over.
    The combat is a bit necessary too as you rarely instigate a fight & the mercenaries are trying to halt your progress or y'know kill you.
    Same argument was brought up too with Tomb Raider too. I really an not sure what people expect Nate or Lara to do differently from other characters. Dig a few graves or send a book of condolences maybe.

i dont understand why tomb raider got a tougher time with that issue when uncharted is the same especially this one since they went more dramatic drama with the characters in this one

there both silly big action adventure games and there both brillient games too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Finished it today. Didn't pick it up until a couple of days after release so did well to avoid spoilers.

I think it might just shade U2 as the best in the series, simply down to the setting. It's a masterpiece in design. I spent the whole game thinking to myself "f*cking hell, it looks so good" and the story is strong enough too although as others have mentioned, I didn't care too much for Sam.

Kind of sickened it's over now. I wouldn't play through it again for at least 6 months. Thoroughly enjoyed it though.

• Advertisement

Finished it today. Didn't pick it up until a couple of days after release so did well to avoid spoilers.

I think it might just shade U2 as the best in the series, simply down to the setting. It's a masterpiece in design. I spent the whole game thinking to myself "f*cking hell, it looks so good" and the story is strong enough too although as others have mentioned, I didn't care too much for Sam.

Kind of sickened it's over now. I wouldn't play through it again for at least 6 months. Thoroughly enjoyed it though.

Also finished it today. Won't play it for a while but like you enjoyed it.. a lot. €55 for 16 hours of top notch entertainment, I can't fault that!

Advertisement