Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Seeing as I've been on a media blackout for 2 weeks if anyone has any good articles or things to read about Uncharted 4 I'd be delighted if you could throw up a link? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

starting the second playthrough here goes still finding myself admiring at the locations

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

I was on about finally picking up MGS5 after finishing uncharted 4 but now I'm half tempted to pick up the trilogy and play through all four again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Just finished it now. Was a fantastic addition to the franchise.

Although did anyone think raif was a poor villan ?

Campaign seriously starting to drag. @ Chapter 17 there has been some needless filler between chapters 12 - 17 IMO
    Still some good moments in there but the climbing filler gets excessive after a while.
    I'm starting to get the feeling they could have really condensed down the game somewhat to make it a better experience as most of chapters 1-12 are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I loved it once it got to chapter 13 on, the game just starts to look amazing from then imo. More exploring and less shooting and wiping out half an army, always good for a change.

replaying again upto scotland theres been a fair few shootouts id say there is enough shooting sections in the game its just the actual island setting in the later half tones it down a gear making people think its more exploration than shooting but id say it has enough of both

Have to say I love the echo sound effects of the gunfire they used in the Scotland level around the cliffs and caves, it's the little touches like that that really add to the game.

And later on when your weapons get covered in dirt and mud but if you get in the water they are clean again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It gets ridiculous between chapters 12-14 if I remember correctly. Pure filler. Then some around 17-18 are same dragged out repetitive scenarios.

"Shoreline beat us to it"
    "We must have beaten them to it"
    "Here I'll give you a boost"
    "There must be a other way around"
    "Hey, help me with this door".

Quick time events in a game like this in 2016 annoyed me. Bar a few nice little touches like the winch, it didn't really advanced the series at all.

As someone said not as good as 2, but probably better than 3.

Having only replayed 2 the week before last this is better by a mile. 2 has not aged too well even the remastered version. Yes the story and voice acting still hold up well but the shooting and cover mechanics are very flawed with the AI warping between animations alot making head shots frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As much as I loved the game, it suffers badly from the same narrative flaw most games of this type suffer from. You're the world's greatest explorer who has spent hours climbing treacherous terrain, solving complex and dangerous puzzles to open doors, path's crumbling or closing behind you due to dangerous traps or years of erosion etc. You finally get to somewhere that has been untouched by man in about 500 years...

... except for the 20 hired goons who came in the other side, which seems to have required the equivalent of breaking through a bit of ground-level wall with a lumphammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

Penn wrote: »
    As much as I loved the game, it suffers badly from the same narrative flaw most games of this type suffer from. You're the world's greatest explorer who has spent hours climbing treacherous terrain, solving complex and dangerous puzzles to open doors, path's crumbling or closing behind you due to dangerous traps or years of erosion etc. You finally get to somewhere that has been untouched by man in about 500 years...

... except for the 20 hired goons who came in the other side, which seems to have required the equivalent of breaking through a bit of ground-level wall with a lumphammer.

While I take your point, there has to be some suspension of disbelief in a game like this. Otherwise you'd rarely face any enemies in the game because no one would be able to find the places you are in. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jones wrote: »
    Otherwise you'd rarely face any enemies in the game because no one would be able to find the places you are in. :p

You may have just described my dream Uncharted game with that sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Can anyone tell me the difference between the deluxe and normal edition.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the deluxe and normal edition.

on PSN??

the deluxe edition will give you the Upcoming Story DLC that should be released in about 6-7 months time im basing that on the time it took for Last of us left behind DLC to arrive and you also get 2 multiplayer packs that arrive soon

I did not know Henry Avery was based of real life history I thought naughty dog just made it up very cool

I wonder if the DLC will be about him that would be very cool his last days on libertalia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

biggebruv wrote: »
    on PSN??

the deluxe edition will give you the Upcoming Story DLC that should be released in about 6-7 months time im basing that on the time it took for Last of us left behind DLC to arrive and you also get 2 multiplayer packs that arrive soon

Yeah on PSN. Upcoming DLC cool cool

biggebruv wrote: »
    I did not know Henry Avery was based of real life history I thought naughty dog just made it up very cool

I wonder if the DLC will be about him that would be very cool his last days on libertalia

The DLC will more than likely be playing as Sam or Elana. The fact you play as Sam in flashback is a good clue, it's the first time in the Uncharted series where you actually play as someone other than Nathan.

There is a bit of reality on all the Uncharted games just like the Assassin's Creed games, they just put a twist on all of it.

Francis Drake is also a real person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The DLC will more than likely be playing as Sam or Elana. The fact you play as Sam in flashback is a good clue, it's the first time in the Uncharted series where you actually play as someone other than Nathan.

There is a bit of reality on all the Uncharted games just like the Assassin's Creed games, they just put a twist on all of it.

Francis Drake is also a real person.

And from Uncharted 2, Shambhala is a mythical place in Buddhist and Hindu traditions. Iram of the Pillars from Uncharted 3 is a lost ancient city mentioned in the Qur'an.

Naughty Dog have certainly done their homework in regards the historical aspect, even if they add their own creative twist.

As much as I've enjoyed all the games, I have to admit, there's something about the pirates from UC4 that just draws me in more than the other games. I've always enjoyed reading about that era. By some happy coincidence, when I was much younger, I'd previously read the Charles Johnson book on which the game and characters are based.

I'd highly recommend reading A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates by the way, absolutely fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Evade

Glico Man wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend reading A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates by the way, absolutely fascinating stuff.
    Isn't that the book Sam makes fun of in one of the optional conversations
    in the conservatory of the old woman's house
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Evade wrote: »
    Isn't that the book Sam makes fun of in one of the optional conversations
    in the conservatory of the old woman's house
    ?

Yeah he says that the authors name is fake, and that its generally made up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I finished it in the last hour.
    I had played the trilogy again before playing the 4th.
    UC4 as one would expect has the best graphics. I find all Uncharted games to be among the most pleasing games visually to play.
    I loved it, far more character depth in this game than previous, we learn so much more.
    It is my favourite game franchise ever.

Finished it at the weekend.
    IMO game is good and had some really standout chapters but not what the media are hyping it to be. It's been overrated.
    Found the last few hours seriously dragged on and on. Have said before but If the game had of been condensed it would have been a much more enjoyable experience.
    When a game makes you feel like "**** I just want this to end" then you know it's bloated and I couldn't get that feeling out of my head.

Glico Man wrote: »
    And from Uncharted 2, Shambhala is a mythical place in Buddhist and Hindu traditions. Iram of the Pillars from Uncharted 3 is a lost ancient city mentioned in the Qur'an.

Naughty Dog have certainly done their homework in regards the historical aspect, even if they add their own creative twist.

As much as I've enjoyed all the games, I have to admit, there's something about the pirates from UC4 that just draws me in more than the other games. I've always enjoyed reading about that era. By some happy coincidence, when I was much younger, I'd previously read the Charles Johnson book on which the game and characters are based.

yes I also loved the pirate treasure hunt in 4 now that iv finished replaying it

Id say the treasure story is much better than U2s
    finding libertalia and exploring it was fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I never played the MP in Uncharted before but this one isn't bad. It doesn't stand up to TLOU MP for me but it's frenetic and has some potential if the user base stays strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I never played the MP in Uncharted before but this one isn't bad. It doesn't stand up to TLOU MP for me but it's frenetic and has some potential if the user base stays strong.

Totally agree I loved TLOU MP UC4 is decent and has some nice touches but I preferred the slower type pace to TLOU.

Still UC4 is definitely worth checking out for anyone who hasnt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I tried multiplayer and thought it was 'fine' - passable but nothing special.

Then along came a genuine multiplayer masterpiece called Overwatch and guaranteed I'll probably never play UC4 multiplayer again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I tried multiplayer and thought it was 'fine' - passable but nothing special.

Then along came a genuine multiplayer masterpiece called Overwatch and guaranteed I'll probably never play UC4 multiplayer again :pac:

I'm hearing great things about Overwatch but I really don't like the art style of it. I'll have to reconsider it I think.

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I'm hearing great things about Overwatch but I really don't like the art style of it. I'll have to reconsider it I think.

Do, it's a triumph of game design and manages to cleverly subvert or overcome many of the traditional limitations of multiplayer games. And the art design is glorious in action: beautifully communicates what it needs to while managing to bring together a good two dozen character designs into a coherent whole.

If Uncharted 4 shows modern technology and blockbuster storytelling at its best, Overwatch shows modern game design at its best :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

If Uncharted 4 shows modern technology and blockbuster storytelling at its best, Overwatch shows modern game design at its best :)

If there's one thing to be said about Blizzard, they know how to make a game, make it FUN, and make it last. They are also ruthless when it comes to something not being fun or feeling right, case in point their MMO "Titan", which most, if not all, their Overwatch devs worked on.

Advertisement