Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Stealth is tactical and fun and all, but I must be a closet psychopath... I love going guns blazing in most situations :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

A lot of the set pieces are not set up that well, stealth wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    For anyone interested in trading this, Smyths are offering a whopping 12.50 euro cash or 25 credit and Gamestop offering 36 euro credit.

Just put it on adverts I got 50 for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

maybe just me but I hated the shooting bits , it took me out of it when i'd just beat a puzzle to open this ancient door and there's a bunch of goons on the other side :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

How does the Multiplayer compare to the open beta multiplayer? I found the FPS drops to be dire, or is it more fine tuned now? I loved the multi from the previous games and its the only reason i would consider buying this at full price. Otherwise i would get it on sale down the road as a single player experience only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

How does the Multiplayer compare to the open beta multiplayer? I found the FPS drops to be dire, or is it more fine tuned now? I loved the multi from the previous games and its the only reason i would consider buying this at full price. Otherwise i would get it on sale down the road as a single player experience only

just wondering why is a 14+hour single player expericance not worth the price at launch??

is this not enough any more for gamers?

im not aiming this at you but just asking in general about todays trend

what is it people love about hugeass open world games with naff all to do but collect crap and do crap repetive side content to pad out a game
    i dont mind if its a well done open world but most are just boring to me at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So some guy posted this:

It got a lot of bad feedback

And so this became reality

biggebruv wrote: »
    just wondering why is a 14+hour single player expericance not worth the price at launch??

is this not enough any more for gamers?

im not aiming this at you but just asking in general about todays trend

what is it people love about hugeass open world games with naff all to do but collect crap and do crap repetive side content to pad out a game
    i dont mind if its a well done open world but most are just boring to me at least

Well a game doesn't need to have collectables or open world in order to have more playtime. It's not campaign vs multiplayer, either. An action game like, Vanquish, MGR, DMC3/4 have a lot more than 14 hour not just because there's stuff to collect (there's a few minor things, not Ubisoft-tier) but because there's higher difficulties and improving your skill is what takes time and becomes rewarding. Playing the campaign again at the highest difficulty with certain conditions for a higher score, no damage, no deaths, no item usage, variation, finished quickly etc. Think of old school RTS games that are still played now. Or the original Doom which is still competing with 2016 Doom because it has that much replayability and also hugely because its GNU licensed so there's more mods, maps and community projects for it than I've had hot dinners.

I guess some people just see a cinematic 14 hour campaign as not worth launch price sometimes. There's plenty that do, though, hence why these kinds of games are continously funded. But their hype will cool down less then a year after their release. Meanwhile something like Terraria with a retail price of €9.99 has a lot more hours of playtime and general in-game content than many AAA cinematic games and doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. Not to say that makes it a better game, it's just some gamers have different values when it comes to these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That Penguinz guy's voice make me want to rip my ears off. I don't even know if his video made good points, I had to stop listening after 40 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Robert Ninja pretty much answered the question for me. I love the Uncharted series, but when I get 100+ hours per Dark souls game, 98 hours on Fallout 4 and a massive 411 hours on Terraria it's hard to justify 14 hours at launch price. Especially if I know it will go on sale on PSN or be cheap on an online store in about 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I paid €55 for it and it was worth it. I too don't get the whole I'll wait until it's cheaper. 14 hours of great entertainment isn't worth that price anymore it seems.

I bought dark souls 3 at launch and have put about 50 hours in but two different experiences. I probably enjoyed Uncharted more however short lived the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

petes wrote: »
    I paid €55 for it and it was worth it. I too don't get the whole I'll wait until it's cheaper. 14 hours of great entertainment isn't worth that price anymore it seems.

I bought dark souls 3 at launch and have put about 50 hours in but two different experiences. I probably enjoyed Uncharted more however short lived the story is.

55 maybe, 75 no, no game should cost that unless you're getting something with the game, collectible or soundtrack or something

50 should be the cap in my opinion, only reason i splashed 60 is because i knew id sell it for 50 easy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wow.

While I too would welcome a more diverse critical response to any game (not least Uncharted 4, which has plenty of flaws alongside the plenty of things it does well), this is legitimately one of the shallowest, ignorant responses I've seen to any game, ever (admittedly I try to avoid 99.9% of game videos on YouTube). Yes, the zealots will stupidly try shout down anybody who dares to have an alternate opinion, but frankly something that empty and inarticulate deserves to be shouted down for being, well, empty and inarticulate.

In fact, most players - not those evil, corrupt journalists! - explicitly highlight the 'boring' ('boring' and 'pretentious' being IMO the two words people who have nothing of note to say often fall back on) sequences mentioned in the video as some of the best in the game, despite 'some guy's' disbelief that could be the case. They are the ones that actively develop characters, that establish conflicts, that give substance to everything that follows after. The attic sequence is a great example of a game taking the established mechanics of a game and putting them in a new context to lend them a completely new meaning. I legitimately think it's refreshing for a series so known for its explosive setpieces to take a break, explore characters and offer some beautiful locations to explore without the tedium of shooting folk or hanging off precarious ledges.

So yeah that's the kind of video that IMO highlights why we need proper critics over 'some guy' on YouTube. And I say that as somebody who reckons there's barely three or four sites online that host proper criticism of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I don't know whats wrong with me at the moment, I'm just not enjoying it at all. I'm just finding the whole thing to be a drag. For context, I have played through all 4 previous uncharted games and thought they were pretty good (except golden abyss but you know) so I dunno. I'll come back to it in a couple of months.

I don't know whats wrong with me at the moment, I'm just not enjoying it at all. I'm just finding the whole thing to be a drag. For context, I have played through all 4 previous uncharted games and thought they were pretty good (except golden abyss but you know) so I dunno. I'll come back to it in a couple of months.

what chapter have you made it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

nix wrote: »
    55 maybe, 75 no, no game should cost that unless you're getting something with the game, collectible or soundtrack or something

50 should be the cap in my opinion, only reason i splashed 60 is because i knew id sell it for 50 easy

My days of paying Gamestop €75 for a game are well and truly over :)

If I went to the cinema two nights on the trot I'd be nearly hitting the amount I paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I finished it last night.

While I love the presentation of it and how it looks, I felt, I dunno.... somewhat bored towards the end of it.

Early on I was taking my sweet time with it because I loved exploring all the little nuances in the game but up to the last three chapters or so I was just ready for it to end.

Storywise I think it's great and I love the characters. The big problem with this game is the serious lack of editing when it comes to cutscenes. Some are brilliant at racking up tension (
    the auction chapter in particular
    ) but a lot of them tend to overstay their welcome.

I've played all of the games in the Uncharted series and this one really hit home as to how repetitive the gameplay is. Jump here, go back there, climb that, run from this, hide in the bushes, slide down this, swing on to this...

I'm not slating the game for the sake of it. I actually enjoyed it for the most part but I certainly don't think it's worthy of 10/10 scores from various outlets.

I'd give it a solid 7. It looks great, story is good, humour is on point as usual but the gameplay is so repetitive and the cover system.... Well the less said about that the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Chapter 12.

Chapter 12.

yeah your not gonna enjoy the rest if you have found it a drag upto chapter 12 move on id say

doom is great :) balls to the wall action

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Finally finished this really enjoyed the story.

But as others have said it drags a bit near the end otherwise it's all good in my book

Best In the series in my opinion.

Now to get properly stuck into doom

Someone got a bit creative with MP dance taunts...

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o7b1ne9AKI1rpq66v_480.mp4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Get 21 kills in Ranked Multiplayer, my team still loses... Happened twice now already in one night, not liking how the teams are working out because every time my team mates leave or they just die loadsa times... Also headshots should be counted as a KO it's ridiculous that you pull off a perfect headshot and they get recovered straight away because you can't get to them in time to KO them...

Loving the multiplayer but some things need to change...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Has anyone tried the different renders?

Uncharted cel-shaded looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So yeah that's the kind of video that IMO highlights why we need proper critics over 'some guy' on YouTube. And I say that as somebody who reckons there's barely three or four sites online that host proper criticism of games.

After all this and you want more game journos. :rolleyes:

The video is purposefully crude for the sake of expression and humour. Anybody can see that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gave the multiplayer a whirl over the weekend. It's... Fine I suppose. Does nothing remarkably, nothing badly either. I do like the charged melee attack idea though. Can't see it distracting for too long, definitely a far less engaging affair than The Last of Us online.
    After all this and you want more game journos. :rolleyes:

I'd like more good ones, yes. If they have to consume more children's souls to satisfy the beings of pure evil that dwell within them, that's a burden I'll have to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This game is grand. Might have been one too many Uncharted's for me. Typically repetitive, but kudos on the graphics. 7/10 job for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Finished it the other day.
    Definitely a better game than Drake's Deception, but not as enjoyable as Among Thieves.

I know it's bordering on parody with all the collapsing buildings, and ridiculous falls and escalations in the set-pieces, but I can't help but smile at them.

Felt Ralph & Nadine could have been a bit better - long way to go beat Flynn & Chloe.

Definitely one of the most visually stunning games out there. Looks better than the movies it takes inspiration from!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Finished it the other day.
    Definitely a better game than Drake's Deception, but not as enjoyable as Among Thieves.

I know it's bordering on parody with all the collapsing buildings, and ridiculous falls and escalations in the set-pieces, but I can't help but smile at them.

Felt Ralph & Nadine could have been a bit better - long way to go beat Flynn & Chloe.

Definitely one of the most visually stunning games out there. Looks better than the movies it takes inspiration from!

I agree that Nadine was a weak villain, she served no purpose to the plot other than to give context to where Rafe got his mercs from.

However, I think Rafe is the best villain the series has had to date. Rather than just tack on some megalomaniacal cookie cutter villain like the past games have, Rafe actually had real context and purpose within the uncharted universe. The fact that he had motivations which tied into the characters and lore of the universe made me give so much more of a **** about him.

Agree on Rafe, thought he was an excellent villain. Brilliant voice acting for him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Agreed Rafe was great and Nadine was just annoying
    I couldnt wait to kill her for the whole game and all she does in the end is walk away with a load of gold, never to be seen again, WTF NAUGHTYDOG!!!
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

If I write about the game here then it means I'm closing the book on something I've loved since Uncharted: Drake's Fortune all those years ago :(

I finally finished it earlier. What an immense game. Probably just behind U2 but by far the best story. I thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to finish but it's the characters and the story and the sheer beauty that just propel it too greatness.

It truly was a masterstroke including some of Naughty Dog tropes of the past in such a delightfully meta manner :D

Maybe I'm a sentimental fool but I adored the
    epilogue with Cassie

And I spent the entire time in
    Avery's tunnel waiting for pyrate ghosts to turn up
    :pac: The fact there was nothing that way was one of the biggest surprises in the game.

I'd always love another game but I can be at peace if there's not.

Thanks Naughty Dog and thanks Nathan Drake :)

Advertisement