Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah yeah the shooting is much improved but and it's not bad at all but I'm finding the characters, story, environments and exploration to be so good that the 'shoot waves of enemies' takes me out of the enjoymemt. Stealthing makes up for it though.

• Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ah yeah the shooting is much improved but and it's not bad at all but I'm finding the characters, story, environments and exploration to be so good that the 'shoot waves of enemies' takes me out of the enjoymemt. Stealthing makes up for it though.

I only really tend to engage where I have to. If stealth doesn't work out and all. I'm not saying going in guns blazing all the time. But when you decide too or have too it feels great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Combat is still by some distance my least favourite aspect of the game, even though they have continued to refine it to make it more satisfying. The physicality of it and the integration of the environment are particularly well handled compared to other games of its ilk. Still, always feel a bit disappointed when I approach an area littered with conveniently placed cover and crates - creates a regrettable (coughludonarrativrcough) dissonance with the rest of the design.

However, having had my patience tested with the lack of progression in Uncharted 3 in terms of other design choices, I do feel this is a substantial step forward. The level I'm on at the moment actually manages to conjure up the most potent sense of exploration I've experienced in the series, opening up without abandoning the tight, focused design the series is known for. Also think Druckmann and Straley have made genuine efforts to advance the 'in-game' storytelling processes too, especially in that particularly super second hour (the diving section, the attic sequence). There was a bit of that in Uncharted 3 through the likes of the desert sequence, but it feels evolved here on the back of The Last of Us and its IMO underappreciated expansion.

Not to mention this is one series that fundamentally benefits from better technology. The possibilities the PS4 opens up for Naughty Dog's technical, narrative and gameplay ambitions justify this sequel alone in quite a worthwhile manner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Are ye playing with aim lock assist on or off lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Off, it's only for sissys and big girls blouses. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Started with it on and couple of minutes in turned it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Anyone that has aim lock on should probably head over to church for an auld confession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Anyone that has aim lock on should probably head over to church for an auld confession.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

To be honest I only have it turned off as I like to know that a head shot was my head shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Started at about 9.30 last night after doing the 5gb download and played through until about 3.30 am. :o

Getting up for work this morning wasnt fun but I've a week off next week to put in some hardcore hours. I checked my treasure before logging off and realised I've missed a ton of it already.

• GavRedKing wrote: »
    Started at about 9.30 last night after doing the 5gb download and played through until about 3.30 am. :o

Getting up for work this morning wasnt fun but I've a week off next week to put in some hardcore hours. I checked my treasure before logging off and realised I've missed a ton of it already.

Same as, I'm finding them much harder to find that the older games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Are the chapters much longer in this game or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

On the treasures they are definitely harder to find in 4 compared to the previous 3. I'm only on chapter 5 and I've missed loads alright. I would of prided myself of having found 80/90% of treasures on first play through in the previous games. The larger environments are helping disguise the treaures

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

I cant wait to play this game on ps4 , I'm broke after buying an xbox one but hopefully in a few weeks I'll get it whoo , I played the nathan drake collection and couldn't stop playing it so i'll definately be addicted to this game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Are the chapters much longer in this game or is it just me?

there probly the same its just the level design is more opened up for more exploration giving each chapter added length

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

From yer experience with this entry thus far, is getting all the treasure on your 1st play through going to totally ruin the experience pacing-wise?

Is it best to just enjoy the 1st playthough for what it is and maybe go for the treasures on a harder difficulty play through?

• Cormac... wrote: »
    From yer experience with this entry thus far, is getting all the treasure on your 1st play through going to totally ruin the experience pacing-wise?

Is it best to just enjoy the 1st playthough for what it is and maybe go for the treasures on a harder difficulty play through?

I always play new games on Hard anyway. I prefer a challange. I tend to look for the treasure when the pace slows down or if you enter a climbing section. Nothing that gets in the way of the overall pacing. The action set pieces when first experienced are excellent but also high octane. So I ain't stopping to have a look in every corner when you are expected to run and gun.
    But when you compare to the older games it's still much harder to come across the treasure regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Does anybody else just not bother with the treasure? I do walk by it even if it's in my path :pac:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I always play new games on Hard anyway. I prefer a challenge.

I'm thinking of playing on Normal so herself doesn't get too bored watching me wipe on the same section several times

And then do a super serious hard play through when she's had her fill of the spectacle

She thought Uncharted 3 was a movie for like 5 minutes when she walked in the last time and was like "Oh is this a game?" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The game would IMO be stronger without all the collectible treasure, busywork that adds nothing of substance to the game. And encountering an artefact in a field or on a random ledge isn't really something that assists one's immersion in the world.

That said, find myself more inclined to examine the various nooks more in this game than previous ones. The side areas are usually quite visually appealing and sometimes have nice little narrative aside. Obviously particularly true of the mid game levels where curious ruins dot the landscape and are worth travelling off the beaten track for a gander. Even if the 'reward' is a meaningless trinket - thankfully the experience of going off-road is often worth it on its own terms.

All that said, the flintlock pistols are awesome :pac:

The game would IMO be stronger without all the collectible treasure, busywork that adds nothing of substance to the game. And encountering an artefact in a field or on a random ledge isn't really something that assists one's immersion in the world

This is kind of what I was getting at. I don't mind doing X all the Y on my 2nd playthough but I find trophy hunting in games like this can totally ruin the initial experience sometimes.

The collectables in Valiant Hearts were a good example of how optional pickups should work cause they were interesting to read

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Same as, I'm finding them much harder to find that the older games.

Ya, I had a look at some of the trophies and I'd say it would take a second or third very detailed play through to get 100% of the treasure.

Every time I think I've searched everywhere I end up missing about 5 or 6 items inbetween finding other items. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'm thinking of playing on Normal so herself doesn't get too bored watching me wipe on the same section several times

And then do a super serious hard play through when she's had her fill of the spectacle

She thought Uncharted 3 was a movie for like 5 minutes when she walked in the last time and was like "Oh is this a game?" :pac:

The first hour of the game really does feel like a movie. Mostly watching cut scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tok9 wrote: »
    So... for people who've reached Chapter 6.
    That Easter Egg!!! I really don't care that much for Crash but my god when I saw the whole presentation I couldn't help but smile like an idiot.

Absolutely loving the game so far and don't really want to say anything. I hope everyone goes in knowing as little as possible.

Loved that - definitely the highlight of my game so far!

See ye in church lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Up to chapter 10, bit disappointed so far. Don't think the series has evolved at all.

It's enjoyable but I had very high expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Pretty sure i saw this in LIDL yesterday, just one copy sitting on each of the checkouts. Didnt think they'd be selling it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chapter 11 is superb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Would i be right in saying Argos is the cheapest store to pick this up in? €62.99 currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

nix wrote:
    Would i be right in saying Argos is the cheapest store to pick this up in? €62.99 currently

Also if you are a Ptsb Customer and use your debit card and sign up to gorewards (see open24) you will get 10 euro cashback after spending 50 in argos

permanent tsb ie/whatweoffer/current-accounts/gorewards/

Advertisement