Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 teatoast

Looking at getting one of these :

Is this a 2nd Gen model and can it take a Micro SIM? Is is due to be replaced or updated?

Is the 5inch version worth the extra? I see the screen is not as good…

Thanks!

It's the 4G version of the first gen Moto G. The second gen one has the bigger screen and a better camera, but there's no 4G option yet. Both take micro sim. The new Moto G has only just been released so a 4G version would probably be at least 6 months away.

Boards won't let me post links yet but head over to gsmarena or another phone comparison site and compare the Moto G 2014 with the Moto G 4G or LTE and you'll get a breakdown of the specs.

Depends what you want really. I wanted the better camera and bigger screen (the lower ppi wasn't significant enough to influence me). If 4G is a must or if you'd prefer a smaller screen then the 4G might be better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

I've decided I'm finally ready to ditch my old and broken phone and buy a 2nd-gen Moto G. I see it on expansys for €200. Can it be got cheaper anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

TheAmateur wrote: »
    I've decided I'm finally ready to ditch my old and broken phone and buy a 2nd-gen Moto G. I see it on expansys for €200. Can it be got cheaper anywhere else?

Paid 175 on amazon for my one not sure how much they are now tho

Nolars wrote: »
    Paid 175 on amazon for my one not sure how much they are now tho
    Darn, just ordered on Amazon there, €206. Ah well, I'm just happy to be finally getting rid of my current phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

TheAmateur wrote: »
    Darn, just ordered on Amazon there, €206. Ah well, I'm just happy to be finally getting rid of my current phone.

Checked it says 185, did you pay for postage? I got my one delivered in 2 days with the free postage option, not sure if I was lucky or what.

Nolars wrote: »
    Checked it says 185, did you pay for postage? I got my one delivered in 2 days with the free postage option, not sure if I was lucky or what.

Ah, yep I picked the wrong postage option :o.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Anyone know if the 4G meteor models are still unlocked? Was hoping to pick one up today.

I know that the original moto G was unlocked and would lock to the network of the first sim insterted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Got a 4G Moto G from Meteor online 2 weeks ago and it was unlocked and locked to the first SIM card that was put in it which was Tesco Mobile and is working away fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the new moto g 2014 is available from argos for €189.95,

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2583367/Trail/searchtext%3EMOTO+G.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

manu2009 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but the new moto g 2014 is available from argos for €189.95,

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2583367/Trail/searchtext%3EMOTO+G.htm

I'm assuming/hoping this is the dual SIM and SD slot version? Argos don't really give much info of the specs.
    I've until Monday to collect so if anyone can confirm or deny I would appreciate it.
    Thanks manu2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

I'm assuming/hoping this is the dual SIM and SD slot version? Argos don't really give much info of the specs.
    I've until Monday to collect so if anyone can confirm or deny I would appreciate it.
    Thanks manu2009.
    Go in and get a look at it before buying it and see if it's Model XT1068 on the Box or just buy from Amazon, same price give or take a few euro.

XT1063 is single sim.

Nice one cheers. I'm from the Bricks+Morter age so Argos is the nearest thing to 'modern' I can handle.
    Do you know if they will show me the box if I go to customer Service before I pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Nice one cheers. I'm from the Bricks+Morter age so Argos is the nearest thing to 'modern' I can handle.
    Do you know if they will show me the box if I go to customer Service before I pay?

Ask at the paypoint then it will be conveyer belted down to you to hold the precious!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Go in and get a look at it before buying it and see if it's Model XT1068 on the Box or just buy from Amazon, same price give or take a few euro.

XT1063 is single sim.

I really don't think the single SIM version is for the European market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Presume it is dual sim phone. I bought this phone through Amazon. So far so good. About the same price as on Amazon by the time you do currency conversion and in my case parcel motel to receive it quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Thanks manu2009.

Yes its the dual sim version with an sd slot, picked it up yesterday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Yes. I've argued this point several times earlier in this thread. Some posters refuse to acknowledge this though!

... Arguments like Irish networks would never be alright with selling dual network phones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭tritriagain

which is a better buy the 4g 4.5" screen or the newer 5" 3g one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

I just purchased from Argos, early bday pressie for my wife. Have to admit, it's a lovely piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

which is a better buy the 4g 4.5" screen or the newer 5" 3g one

Not much in it.. Are you on a 4G network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭tritriagain

no. the only reason i wolud go for the 4.5" is that it might be less draining than then 5" on battery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Just bought that argos one thanks to this thread, v nice phone :)

Now, how to I get my sim to fit?

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Nate

Most phone shops will cut yours for free with a tool but better if you go to your networks shop and get moved to a mini sim as cut ones can fail.

Get an adapter while your in there that you can put the mini sim in to so you can put it back into non mini sim phones if ya need to at some stage.

If on 48, you can order mini sim on site and move all to it when it arrives.

Nate

Same here. Forgot about the feckin SIM. Have to wait till tomorrow now to play with it. I had my old SIM and SD ready and everything.

FML as they say on Bookface.

Got my SIM transferred today, took about 2mins and was on the network in about 5mins after that.

Already have mine Rooted and managed to completely corrupt the installed ROM twice :) Just waiting for a Cyanogen mod now, Stock android is missing all the really nice touches that I had on my last phone with Cyanogen.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

I see otter box do covers for the 1st generation moto g, does anyone have any idea will they do covers for the 5inch? If they do how long till they are on sale? Would like a defender.
    Bought mine on Amazon, have it since Friday and I'm delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Got my SIM transferred today, took about 2mins and was on the network in about 5mins after that.

Already have mine Rooted and managed to completely corrupt the installed ROM twice :) Just waiting for a Cyanogen mod now, Stock android is missing all the really nice touches that I had on my last phone with Cyanogen.

Nate

Do you think its worthwhile rooting Nate? Have mine a few weeks now but still afraid to go near rooting in case I brick it!

There are a few apps I use that require root (SAMBA file sharing etc), if you don't see a need for it, I wouldn't bother.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

Would like to know from anyone that has the new moto g (5 inch screen)how they're finding the battery?

Advertisement