Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Some Americans actually think Wales is a part of England :mad: :(

Spoke to a girl in London recently who asked me - seriously - if Dublin was in Northern Ireland.

She was (is) 27.

Stupid hippies.

Summer of pillocks, more like

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Poor Peter...not cool enough to be a hippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

If theres one thing bbc4 do really good its music documentarys.

Missed a few mins there.

Is this one of the many, many shows that doesn't have Zeppelin in it?

• Advertisement

Grand so. If I ever go to Vegas, there's one place I can mark off the "things to do" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Eltons glasses just scream gay now a days

Why so serious Gary Numan & friends?

Wonder what it'd be like to be in the crowd for that. Would you be allowed smile, I wonder?

neris wrote: »
    Eltons glasses just scream gay now a days

Really? Nah. ðŸ˜

This show needs more guitars.

And, like every other show & song ever, less sax.

• Advertisement

Jesus, Sting, do you have to be watching me EVERY time I do anything?

Like, can I go to the jacks on my own?

You big creepy mentalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

First it's allegations that Elton John might not be a ladies man then it's Sting caught lurking around toilets. Disgraceful. I blame Little Richard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Tonight at 11pm on True Movies 1 - 'That'll be the Day' ...
    A school dropout leaves home and drifts through a succession of dead-end jobs until he finds an outlet for his frustration in rock 'n' roll. Drama, starring David Essex, Ringo Starr, Keith Moon, Billy Fury, Robert Lindsay and Rosemary Leach

Never heard of it, but it looks intriguing. One spoilsport critic called it "a hugely overrated dip into the rock 'n' roll nostalgia bucket" but I prefer the opinion of someone else who says it is "one of the great rock films".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Some Americans actually think Wales is a part of England :mad: :(

What to say to these Americans:

"Mae gan Loegr dim ond un iaith. Mae gan Gymru dwy iaith."

:o:o:D:D;);)

Skid X wrote: »
    Tonight at 11pm on True Movies 1 - 'That'll be the Day' ...

Great film, but the sequel 'Stardust' is better - especially the bonkers TV special at the end.

Don't forget tonight at 10.40pm - Bowie Time :)

If I may divert from the TV for a moment (but still Beeb-related), there is a 'Live Aid' special tonight with Sara Cox on BBC Radio 2 at 10pm.

Not even Sedaka can infiltrate a Bowie documentary :)

Not even Sedaka can infiltrate a Bowie documentary :)

Just for you to put a little Bing in things.

No love for 'Lodger'?

Great album :)

Sedaka!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

One hit wonders at the BBC finishes off with the JCB Song.........brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Loving this.
    UK acts big in America.
    Pour some sugar on me by Def Leppard now. Woohoo.
    Of cpurse I am very, vvery drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

Sedaka!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

Yeah, what is it with BBC 4 and that Sedaka programme ? It seems to have been on loads, surely there's lots more interesting music documantaries around ? The Bowie one last weekend was quite good - and I wouldn't be a major fan, . though having said that there's no denying he had some quality tunes in the 70's. What a weirdo he came across as during his Thin White Duke, coked out of his brains, period.

...ah, Thin White Duke, Nazi salutes and cocaine whirlwind because that was better for you than the heroin in Berlin mess (I'd do junk if I could knock Low, Heroes and Lodger out in a couple of years).

its not the side effects of the cocaine
    I'm thinking that it must be love

...its too late
    to be late again

Now I'm waiting on my station.

Hello, BBC Music are still paying off the Glastonbury bills, so there isn't much new this weekend. Lauren Laverne has a big debate about rock, and there is pretty much every programme in their archive with Rock n Roll in the title.

Dave Grohl pops up a lot, how does he ever get time to make music? He must never down an opportunity to chip into a Music Doc. More power to him ...

Thursday

7.30pm & 12.55am: Top of The Pops 1980
    Simon Bates is joined by Olivia Newton-John to present an edition originally broadcast on September 18, 1980. Featuring music by Randy Crawford, XTC, Stevie Wonder, the Nick Straker Band, Billy Joel, Madness and Kelly Marie

Friday

10pm & 1am: Whatever Happened to Rock n Roll?
    Lauren Laverne leads a discussion from London's 100 Club asking whether rock 'n' roll is in crisis and what it represents in contemporary society. Can the genre still be considered as dangerous and subversive as it once was or has it become more about lifestyle and decoration? Participants include Savages' lead singer Jehnny Beth, Dr John Cooper Clarke and former Animal Eric Burdon. There are also contributions from Noel Gallagher and Dave Grohl and the members of Sleaford Mods and Alabama Shakes

11pm & 2am: It's Only Rock n Roll - Rock n Roll at the BBC
    A compilation of classic rock 'n' roll artists and songs in celebration of the musical genre, featuring such performers as Jerry Lee Lewis, Dion, Dick Dale and Neil Sedaka. Plus, songs that highlight rock 'n' roll by name, such as Tom Petty's Anything That's Rock 'n' Roll, Joan Jett's I love Rock 'n' Roll and Oasis' Rock 'n' Roll Star

Midnight & 3am: Forever Young: How Rock n Roll grew up
    Documentary exploring the ways rock 'n' roll stars have coped with growing old after being symbols of rebellion from the genre's roots in the 1950s. The programme uncovers how artists have enjoyed comebacks in the 21st century, and examines what happened to the mantra `live fast, die young'. Featuring contributions by Iggy Pop, Lemmy, Rick Wakeman, Suggs and Alison Moyet. Narrated by Cherie Lunghi

9.35pm (RTE1) The Imelda May Show
    New series. The singer-songwriter celebrates Ireland's love of music with chat and performances by guests Kodaline, Hothouse Flowers, Fight Like Apes and the Lost Brothers, recorded in front of a live studio audience

Saturday

10.45pm The Heart of Country: How Nashville Became Music City USA
    A historical biography of the hub of country music, revealing the relationship between commerce and art that has defined Nashville since 1925, and exploring the conflicts and demons that have confronted artists and the industry. The documentary charts the creative pressures of `the Nashville sound', the impact of Elvis then Bob Dylan, and the rise and fall of the Urban Cowboys. Featuring the testimonies of musicians, producers and broadcasters, including Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Brad Paisley and Steve Earle, as well as archived footage of performances by Nashville's greatest - from Johnny Cash to Loretta Lynn, and George Jones to Garth Brooks

12.15am Johnny Cash: The Man, His World, His Music
    Robert Elfstrom's 1969 musical documentary charting the career of Johnny Cash, and capturing `the Man in Black' at the peak of his career. The country singer is seen performing with his new bride June Carter Cash, as well as in a rare duet with Bob Dylan. The film-maker also presents a behind-the-scenes look at the influential American musician as he interacts with friends, family, and aspiring young musicians

1.15am Top of The Pops 1980
    as above

10.55pm (RTE1) The Imelda May Show
    as above

9pm (ITV & UTV Ireland) The Nation's Favourite 80s Number One
    A look at the 1980s - a defining decade in both pop and fashion. Featuring interviews with Spandau Ballet, Bonnie Tyler and Madness, plus a look at the stories behind chart classics such as Don't You Want Me, Tainted Love, Billie Jean and Come On Eileen. Zoe Ball narrates

Sunday

8.15pm Another f**king Neil Sedaka programme
    Jesus wept

9pm A Blackpool Big Band Boogie: Jools Holland and His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra
    The pianist and presenter of Later leads his orchestra in a concert at Blackpool's Empress Ballroom celebrating the golden age of big band music from the 1930s-50s, with interpretations of standards by the likes of Count Basie, Louis Armstrong and Woody Herman. Highlights include singer-songwriter Rumer's take on Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive, and Marc Almond performing a rendition of Edith Piaf's Hymne a l'amour

1am Great American Rock Anthems: Turn It Up to 11
    Huey Morgan presents the story of some of the greatest US rock anthems that emerged during the 1970s, 80s and 90s. A distinct sound evolved from blues and early metal, featuring loud drums, distinct guitar riffs and catchy lyrics, which produced a storm of feel-good tunes. The film focuses on tracks including Alice Cooper's School's Out, Don't Stop Believin' by Journey, Eye of the Tiger by Survivor, Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer and Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. With contributions by Dave Grohl, Toto, Foreigner and more

1.55am Whatever happened to Rock n Roll?
    as above

Elsewhere, Sky Arts has highlights of the Latitude Festival on Saturday and Sunday (Alt-J, Portishead, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, James Blake and the Manic Street Preachers among others). They also have a Pulp Double Bill on Sunday (Pulp Live at 11 and Discovering Pulp at Midnight)

Movie of the week is Scrooged on Saturday at 6.55pm on Film Four. Christmas films are not just for Christmas!

Ha ha ha. Sunday 8.15 made me laugh out loud there!

Mad bastard is on one of the Friday shows too. Seriously, what gives?

Sedaka is to BBC4 what Family Guy is to BBC3.

Anyway, is that Lauren Laverne show new? Looks good to me.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ha ha ha. Sunday 8.15 made me laugh out loud there!

Mad bastard is on one of the Friday shows too. Seriously, what gives?

Sedaka is to BBC4 what Family Guy is to BBC3.

Anyway, is that Lauren Laverne show new? Looks good to me.

Ha, Mad Bastard Sedaka has a ring to it.

Yeah, it looks like Lauren just having a roundtable discussion with a few fimed inserts. Something different anyway. Might be good if the contributors are on form

p02xbyjs.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b063h4lm

Skid X wrote: »
    Friday

10pm & 1am: Whatever Happened to Rock n Roll?

Coincidence that this documentary airs the same day that Ed Sheeran plays a sell-out stadium gig. :pac:

Lads, what's happened to the world?

Ed Sheeran "wowing" crowds in Croke Park made the actual nine o'clock news.

Is this the slowest news day ever, or is it actually high time we had an apocalypse round here and went back to the start?

• Advertisement

I do get the point of this, but isn't rock n roll the best thing ever today, same as ever?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement