Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,424 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Firestarter - oh yeah! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Live Aid was 30 years ago today :eek:

For the day that's in it here are two very good BBC Live Aid Docs from a few years ago. The first is about the build up to the event, the second is about the day itself.

I'm surprised they haven't been repeated recently

Adam Ant: Hello, Wembley!

*crowd roars*

Adam Ant: I know I have a classic back catalogue, but instead...here's my brand new single!

*tumbleweed*

There's a new Bob Marley documentary on Film Four at 1.10am tonight. Doesn't look like it is repeated, surprisingly.
    Marley (2012) Premiere. Documentary about the life of Bob Marley, examining the reggae singer's rise to international fame and the way in which his music has continued to have an impact around the world since his death, particularly during times of political struggle. Featuring contributions from family members, bandmate Neville `Bunny Wailer' Livingston and fellow reggae artists Jimmy Cliff and Lee `Scratch' Perry

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marley/

Hello, it's the final part of that Rock n Roll America doc on Friday and repeatorama everywere else. You could have a Bowie night on Saturday, that Five Years Doc is class.

Thursday

7.30pm & 1am - Top of the Pops 1980
    Peter Powell presents an edition originally broadcast on August 28, 1980. Featuring the Barracudas, Gary Numan, the Selecter, Mike Berry, the Skids, Elton John and Judas Priest, plus David Bowie at number one for a second week with Ashes to Ashes

11pm - Tales from the Tour Bus: Rock 'n' Roll on the Road
    Rick Wakeman offers a first-hand account of rockers on the road from the late 1950s onwards, recalling the golden age of touring - a secret history of transport cafes, transit vans, B&Bs, sleepless roadies and loved ones left at home. The musician and tour bus aficionado also reflects on the audiences, both good and bad, and the gigs themselves, from the early variety package to the pubs, clubs and stadiums. With contributions by Suzi Quatro and members of Dr Feelgood, the Shadows, the Pretty Things, Fairport Convention, Happy Mondays, Aswad, Girlschool and the Damned

Friday

8pm & 1am - You've Got a Friend : The Carole King Story
    The award-winning US singer gives an account of her life, looking back on her upbringing in Brooklyn, and the subsequent success she enjoyed as part of husband-and-wife songwriting team Goffin and King in the 1960s, including the creation of global hits Take Good Care of My Baby, The Locomotion and Will You Love Me Tomorrow. By 1970, Carole was divorced and had moved to Los Angeles, where she created her classic solo album Tapestry. Now in her seventies, she reveals herself to be as much an environmental activist as a musician, lobbying Congress in defence of the wildlife and eco-systems in her beloved Idaho

9pm & Midnight - Rock n Roll America (part 3)
    Be My Baby: Examining the era between Buddy Holly's death in early 1959 and the Beatles landing at JFK in spring 1964, when rock 'n' roll seemingly calmed down, went uptown and got spun into teen pop. The genre fuelled the Motown sound in Detroit and sound-tracked guitar instrumental groups on the west coast, such as the Ventures and Beach Boys, as it helped birth increasingly polished pop sounds across the States. Contributors include Jerry Lee Lewis, Ben E King and Chubby Checker. Last in the series

10pm & 2am - How The Brits Rocked America: Go West
    Part 1: How the West Was Won. British bands' attempts to find success in the USA, beginning in the 1960s, the decade in which acts including the Beatles, the Hollies, Herman's Hermits and the Animals found fame on both sides of the Atlantic. The documentary examines how British musicians and American audiences became fascinated by each other's cultures, and features contributions by Paul McCartney, Graham Nash, Peter Noone, Eric Burdon, Donovan and Micky Dolenz (but not Go West)

11pm & 3am Big in America: British Hits
    Compilation of US chart hits by British bands, featuring the Cure, Supertramp, Coldplay, the Dave Clark Five, Black Sabbath, A Flock of Seagulls and Bush

11.30pm - 1.30am (BBC2) T in the Park Highlights
    Clara Amfo and Angela Scanlon introduce the best moments from the three-day music festival, which this year took up residence at a new home, Strathallan Castle in Perthshire. Kasabian, the Prodigy, David Guetta, Sam Smith and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds were among the acts performing

Saturday

10.40pm - David Bowie: Five Years in the Making of an Icon
    Documentary exploring five key years in the singer's career, which saw him redefine himself as an artist by adopting a different persona - each one marking a shift in musical direction. Featuring interviews with his collaborators, the programme focuses on 1971's ultimate glam-rock icon Ziggy Stardust, Bowie's reinvention as the impeccably dressed soul stylist the Thin White Duke in 1975, his regeneration in Berlin with the critically acclaimed 1977 album Heroes, 1980's Scary Monsters triumph and Let's Dance's global success in 1983

12.10am - The Genius of David Bowie
    A compilation showcasing some of the musician's performances from the BBC archives, including Space Oddity, Life on Mars?, Fashion and The Jean Genie. Plus, Lulu and Mott the Hoople perform Bowie songs, and there are further clips featuring the star's musical collaborators Iggy Pop and Lou Reed

1.10am - Top of The Pops 1980
    Peter Powell presents an edition originally broadcast on August 28, 1980. Featuring the Barracudas, Gary Numan, the Selecter, Mike Berry, the Skids, Elton John, Sue Wilkinson, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Village People and Judas Priest. Plus, David Bowie at number one for a second week with Ashes to Ashes

2.55am The Carole King Story
    as above

Sunday

7pm & 11.45 - Neil Sedaka: The King of Song
    Documentary portrait of the US musician's life and career, during which he had two distinct periods of success. He broke onto the scene in the late 1950s, selling more than 25 million records in the space of five years, but his career as a performer took a downturn when the Beatles and the British Invasion hit the States. However he found popularity in the UK in the early 1970s, before returning to his homeland and achieving fresh stardom with famous numbers such as Solitaire and Laughter in the Rain. The singer reveals how he created his other catchy classics Calendar Girl, (Is This the Way To) Amarillo, Breaking Up Is Hard to Do, Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen and Stupid Cupid

10.30pm - Imagine: Better Midler
    Alan Yentob meets Bette Midler in New York, almost five decades after she began her rise from nightclub act to Hollywood star. At the age of 20, the woman who would become known as `the Divine Miss M' went from working in a pineapple-canning factory in Honolulu, Hawaii, to a role in the 1967 Broadway hit Fiddler on the Roof, and has never looked back. She recalls those early days, as well as the nightclubs and bathhouses of the 1970s, and how she finally made it to the top of the film industry, the combination of a raucous wit and soulful voice making her an outrageous but captivating all-round entertainer

2.15 - Rock n Roll America
    as above

Elsewhere, there is more Bowie on Sky Arts on Friday at 10.10pm with another chance to see his full 2003 concert from The Point. That station also has a big MTV REM documentary on Saturday at Midnight

And Wayne's World is on tonight/early tomorrow at 2.05am on Film Four. We are not worthy!

• Advertisement

9.30pm start time now for 'Rock 'n' Roll America :)

And boo-urns to golf :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Feckin' golf delays rock n' Roll America for half an hour. I know Alice Cooper and Iggy Pop play the useless ****e but this is taking the proverbial.

Edit: great minds curse alike, mega.

Blow that damn hooter and play a music documentary.

This is worse than Sedaka.

Skid X wrote: »
    This is worse than Sedaka.

Or Wet Wet Wet.

:pac: :pac: :pac:

Some terrible golf being played there, obviously the immense pressure of appearing on BBC Four on a Friday Night is taking it's toll.

• Advertisement

The only golf I want to see involves Rodney Dangerfield, and Bill Murray trying to catch a gopher to the music of Kenny Loggins :D

Didn't know William H.Macy played golf :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

They could at least get into the spirit of BBC4 by doing the commentary in Swedish:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Here's a link to rock n' rolls golfers and their handicaps which I'm told has something to with golf and nothing to with industrial drug usage.

http://www.shortlist.com/home/rock-n-rolls-greatest-golf-handicaps

Is this the hole where you have to dodge the windmill sails to get a free game?

Tom Watson's a legend, all the same.

It would have been brilliant if he had won the Open when he was 60. Just one putt away.

Skid X wrote: »
    Some terrible golf being played there, obviously the immense pressure of appearing on BBC Four on a Friday Night is taking it's toll.

They want to know what happened to Buddy Holly

Mmf.

Something in my eye. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Buddy Holly was only 22?? That's impossible.

• Advertisement

Where's Tracy Turnblad? :)

And yes, Pat Boone did release a heavy metal album :eek:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_a_Metal_Mood:_No_More_Mr._Nice_Guy

Bobby Rydell sucks.

Yeah, I said it.

Where's Tracy Turnblad? :)

That's 'You can't stop the beat' stuck in my head for the rest of the night!

F*ckin hell! Never made that link between Chubby Checker and Fats Domino!

Good god above, that is laaaaaame!

The Big O rules.

There, I said it.

What a voice :)

Roy! About bloody time.

Marvellous :)

The Big O rules.

There, I said it.

What a voice :)

Ain't no one gonna argue with that 'round here.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Aon't no one gonna argue with that 'round here.

My vocal inspiration.

And by all accounts, a nice guy and a true gentleman :)

• Advertisement

Lads, I secretly love this doo-wop business.

Yep.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement