Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

*grabs tissues*

Spilt some wine :D

Looks tasty, still trying to look for a left-handed Gretsch with a vibrato arm.

Vibrato arms - rock 'n' roll :)

Did someone say left handed Gretsch with Vibrato arm?

All you need now is a million (well, 949) pounds.

Same shop, Denmark St.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,207 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Did someone say left handed Gretsch with Vibrato arm?

All you need now is a million (well, 949) pounds.

Same shop, Denmark St.

Nice one, me ole China - this one looks awesome. Not that fond of the colour, but I like the design (if only it had a vibrato arm) :)

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/us/wp-content/uploads/store/products/images/202901278530585.jpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Cerys Matthews has a series on Radio 4 about the Songbooks of different countries, Ireland was on it this week. I haven't heard it, but it has an eclectic songlist (in the link)

Edit: It was alright, nothing you haven't heard before. Always nice to hear Cerys pronounce 'Whelans' though :)

Everyone has heard of the Great American Songbook. In this series Cerys Matthews explores the songbooks of other countries.

Today: Dublin, where Cerys discusses the musical heart of the nation, seeks recommendations from a panel of experts and pieces together her own Great Irish Songbook.

Featuring musician and broadcaster Fiachna Ó Braonáin, singer and song researcher Jerry O'Reilly, and cultural historian Gerry Smyth. Recorded live at Whelans in Dublin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0639mst

Wow, looks very interesting.

(Although if I'm honest the French one looks like much more fun.)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Eh up, It's a quiet weekend but there are a few repeats that you might find interesting. That Ginger Baker Doc gets another outing in the middle of the night, details below ...

Friday

9pm & 2.55am Sound of Song (Part 1)
    Composer and musician Neil Brand investigates how songs were recorded for the first time, the listening revolution that followed and the crooner style of singing brought about by the arrival of the microphone. He also looks at the songwriting prowess of Irving Berlin, as well as the interpretative powers of singers Bessie Smith, Louis Armstrong and Bing Crosby

10pm Sound of Song (Part 2)
    Reeling and Rocking Musician Neil Brand explores the elements that come together to make classic songs by recreating some of the most famous recording sessions in history. Among the samples analysed are Elvis Presley's slapback echo effect in Memphis, the Beatles' tape loops at Abbey Road, Phil Spector's `wall of sound' technique, and the Beach Boys' pop symphonies. The presenter also looks at how an American soldier's discovery of magnetic tape in the ruins of Second World War Germany drove the emergence of the music studio and the rise of the producer as a new creative force for shaping the sound of song

11pm Sound of Song (Part 3)
    Mix It Up and Start Again As his exploration of great songs reaches the modern era, Neil Brand charts how the arrival of digital technology and the computer transformed music. He talks synthesisers with Yes keyboardist Rick Wakeman, discusses sampling with Public Enemy's chief producer Hank Shocklee, uncovers the surprising lo-fi origins of Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA, and finds out how Cher changed her voice on the smash hit Believe. Last in the series

Midnight Synth Britannia
    An examination of the musical backdrop of the 1980s when synthpop was all the rage, having been popularised by bands including Depeche Mode, Ultravox and Soft Cell. The documentary also studies how this genre influenced the future of electronic music and groups such as Pet Shop Boys and New Order. Featuring interviews with Bernard Sumner, Gary Numan and Neil Tennant

1.30am TOTP2 80s Special
    Mark Radcliffe presents a selection of memorable Top of the Pops performances from the 1980s. Featuring appearances by Adam and the Ants, Bucks Fizz, Soft Cell, Dexys Midnight Runners, Madness, Culture Club, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Duran Duran, Wham!, Pet Shop Boys, the Communards, Whitney Houston, Bros, Tiffany, Yazz & the Plastic Population, Kylie and Jason, Black Box and Lisa Stansfield

2.30am Sounds of The Eighties
    Showcasing a selection of musical performances from the BBC archives, including Eurythmics, Spandau Ballet, Phil Collins, Fine Young Cannibals, Tears for Fears, Suzanne Vega and Simply Red

9.35pm (RTE1) The Imelda May Show
    The singer-songwriter introduces more chat and performances by musicians, this time featuring Bob Geldof's new-wave alternative rock outfit the Boomtown Rats, Co Offaly-born star Mundy, indie folk singer Soak, and solo blues guitarist Big Boy Bloater

2.15am (BBC2) Imagine: Beware of Mr Baker
    In this award-winning documentary, Cream drummer Ginger Baker reflects on his 60-year career, which began in the jazz clubs of Soho and led to sell-out stadium concerts, via the back streets of Lagos, Nigeria. Director Jay Bulger catches up with the musician at his South African ranch to talk drums, drugs and everything in-between

Saturday

11pm Secret Voices of Hollywood
    Documentary revealing the secret world of the `ghost singers', who provided the vocals for some of Hollywood's biggest stars. The programme includes footage of the classic movies in which the songs appeared

12.30am Sings Musicals
    Memorable versions of songs taken from or inspired by musicals. The programme features Ella Fitzgerald singing Mack the Knife, from the Threepenny Opera, Captain Sensible's 1982 chart-topper Happy Talk, a cover of a song from South Pacific, and performances by Jeff Beck and Jay-Z

9.35pm (ITV, but not UTV Ireland - Boo urns) - The Nation's Favourite Queen Song
    The stories behind the legendary rock band's 20 greatest hits, as decided by the public. This countdown, narrated by Matt Lucas, features in-depth interviews with Queen's Brian May and Roger Taylor, celebrity fans including Katy Perry, Tony Hadley, Tom Fletcher, Noddy Holder and Tony Iommi, and some of those who were closest to singer Freddie Mercury. From Bohemian Rhapsody to We Are the Champions, Don't Stop Me Now to We Will Rock You, there are almost too many classics to choose from, but which one will take the top spot? (I'll eat my cat if it isn't Bohemian Rhapsody)

10.35pm (RTE1) The Imelda May Show
    as above

Sunday

11pm Sound of Song parts 1,2 and 3
    as above

2am Secret Voices of Hollywood
    as above

Michael Jackson's This is It is on 5* at 5.45pm, or If you like low budget cheesey music biopics then Meat Loaf: To Hell and Back on True Entertainment (Saturday 11pm) might be up your alley.

The man himself is on Sky Arts on Saturday at 9pm, live with the Melbourne Sympony Orchestra. That is followed by five hours of the Download festival featuring the likes of Slipknot, Muse, Kiss, Judas Priest and Faith No More.

Sure at least there's no sign of Sed*ka for once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭trashcan

Skid X wrote: »
    Ha.

Ah well, sometimes my musical preferences are vaguely respectable
    but every now and then they fall apart!

There's nothing I can say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Another poor weekend anyway if you want some good tunes can I recommend

BBC4 7.30pm Gustav Holst 'The Planets.' Part of the Proms.

Some incredible tunes you will remember from somewhere in the back of the brain. Many borrowed/copied by various artists through the years. Looking forward to it.

Well, this looks totally interesting.

*cracks open beer*

Happy Friday, dudes!

Well, this looks totally interesting.

*cracks open beer*

Happy Friday, dudes!

You too, my friend :)

*cheap claret*

Slightly off-topic, but...these 'Game Of War' banner ads on boards - is that Conor McGregor (or a buffed-up Ricky Gervais)?

Ha, it's defo McGregor. My initial thought was his lawyers will have something to say about that. But then I thought, he probably see himself like that anyway.

Meanwhile, this show is managing the remarkable feat of being super interesting, yet making me verrry sleepy.

Must get a Louis Armstrong record. Not cd, like. Record.

• Advertisement

Cheek to Cheek!

Choooone!

I'm f*ckin serious here!

If you-know-who turns up on this, I think I'll just give up altogether.

If you-know-who turns up on this, I think I'll just give up altogether.

Did N*** S***** ever work with Spector? :D

Did N*** S***** ever work with Spector? :D

Sure, jaysus, from what I've learned from bbc4, I reckon I'm the only person in the whole world who hasn't worked with Phil Spector.

Mmm mmm.

Tasty blues.

God, I wish I was around in the 50's.

Just for a few days, so I could smugly laugh at how backward it all was and tell them how awesome smartphones and that are.

God, I wish I was around in the 50's.

Just for a few days, so I could smugly laugh at how backward it all was and tell them how awesome smartphones and that are.

Would be awesome to visit Sun Studios.

Ah, 'Stand By Me' - stone cold classic :)

Totally agree with both of these.

I'd do just about anything to record a couple of those old r'n'r tunes in there.

Soooo...is the wall of sound just a shedload of people playing, instead of just a few?

The big Righteous Brother looks like he'd be a good bastard in a movie.

Just saying.

Meanwhile, that tune is totally for chicks. Next!

• Advertisement

Brian Wilson - we're not worthy.

Legend.

I've never trusted the Beach Boys. It stems from years ago, when I was at the height of my own personal Beatlemania. I read some list of the best albums ever. Pet Sounds was number one.
    FOR SHAME!!

It was in a magazine. I think it was called "The Worst Magazine Ever"*.

*Obviously this was before there was an Exposé magazine, which still makes me laugh.

Brian Wilson - we're not worthy.

Legend.

Would you say Pet Sounds is the best album ever?

*maintains stern expression*

Now we're talking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I hate to boast but...

Sun Studios was definitely worth the visit!

Would you say Pet Sounds is the best album ever?

*maintains stern expression*

'Ziggy Stardust' or 'Sgt Pepper'

Despite the production, Pet Sounds has a few ropey songs.

I hate to boast but...

Wha? Jammy git!

Wow! Can you actually go into the studio?

'Ziggy Stardust' or 'Sgt Pepper'

Despite the production, Pet Sounds has a few ropey songs.

Yeah, I agree. Appetite For Destruction, for sure.

I hate to boast but...

Did you cut a 45? :D

• Advertisement

Urgh...Rick Wakeman is becoming just as ubiquitous as S*****

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement