Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UTV Ireland Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Graham Norton is on every Friday night on BBC1 if you have it, bet its not going to be the present series.

It is the present series. TV3 are showing the older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

evilivor wrote: »
    Why not? They have the current rights.

They have the current rights to Foyle's War as well, but they aren't showing the newest series.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This channel is the biggest piece of rubbish I've ever seen. And I've got Lifetime.

I didn't think much of the old UTV but at least the news was intersting at times. This is just tripe. What's the plan for the weekend? Darby O'Gill and the Little People?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They have Mary Regan inside in the studio this evening, no cars to beep at her there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In all seriousness, traditional Ulster Television gave people in the Republic information and some understanding about politics and current affairs in the six counties, which was useful in informing opinion and fostering appreciation of the issues at play and what the various communities were dealing with. That remains an important aspect in cementing the peace process and normalisation, and its a loss to the Republic, particularly when UTV 'Ireland' serves no useful purpose or unique angle in markets that are well covered.

Not to mention the fact that we've lost ITV News which Irish people have been watching for over 40 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In all seriousness, traditional Ulster Television gave people in the Republic information and some understanding about politics and current affairs in the six counties, which was useful in informing opinion and fostering appreciation of the issues at play and what the various communities were dealing with..

The traditional Ulster Television died when Brum Henderson was ousted, it was given its wake when it became UTV in 1993. It has been targeting the South commercially ever since and though it suffered massively when TV3 gained the rights to ITVs programmes (before which it was the second most popular channel here) it is getting its revenge now. Its a pity to lose it from cable but BBC Northern Ireland is still available and UTV (NI) is available on satellite for those who can erect a dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Am I being an idiot or is there no controls on the player? No way to skip forward and back, no volume, no mute button, no maximize/minimize? It just plays and you can pause or unpause by clicking on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Thargor wrote: »
    Am I being an idiot or is there no controls on the player? No way to skip forward and back, no volume, no mute button, no maximize/minimize? It just plays and you can pause or unpause by clicking on it?

Yeah thats true, I dont like that.I tried to see if there was a way of complaining, but couldnt find one.It does keep playing mostly, not like others that either keep pausing or wont play at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Alison reminds me of a young Linda Martin, I keep expecting her to burst into song :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Mr Frog

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Alison reminds me of a young Linda Martin, I keep expecting her to burst into song :D

Ha! Spot on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'll say this for them. Your one that does the weather is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Thargor wrote: »
    jimmyw wrote: »
    Yeah thats true, I dont like that.I tried to see if there was a way of complaining, but couldnt find one.It does keep playing mostly, not like others that either keep pausing or wont play at all

Seems to only happen when Adblock is enabled for me. Controls are there with it turned off. Interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

duridian wrote: »
    Seems to only happen when Adblock is enabled for me. Controls are there with it turned off. Interesting!

Yeah your right,I've just found that now but it also keeps buffering too which it didn't otherwise.Of course it could just me that its happening to.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I can't deal with the female continuity presenter. I think it's because the emphasis is on the wrong word in her sentences.
    She also couldn't say Bletchley there in the last links.

I think the news is well done though with regards to information. They seem to be finding their groove there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bit weird how the sports newsreader is asked questions by the main newsreaders rather than just have them read out the sports news.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Bit weird how the sports newsreader is asked questions by the main newsreaders rather than just have them read out the sports news.

I actually liked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I enjoyed the ads for the various NI shopping centres/ shops, Buttercrane, Foyleside, Joseph Rae The Jewellers.....happy times

Get on down ta Ballymena shopping centre, hoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Does anyone remember Alison Comyn hosting a competitive cookery show on RTE sometime in the last 20yrs?

I remember her presenting shows with her brother on Navan Community Television many moons ago. Woof!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I remember her presenting shows with her brother on Navan Community Television many moons ago. Woof!

Googled it. It was called Pot Luck. Back in 99. Bit like Ready Steady Cook. She's around 44 now. Woof indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

I would like UTV to add some programmes that were never heard of before and introduce new genres to the Irish market. Also produce a morning show that would be a throw back to the old days of the ten with having dustin the turkey on their with good shows.

I would also like to see some dark anime like attack on titan and deathnote in late evenings although this is unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Am I the only one who thinks the armrests on the white chair the nice lady sits on in the evening look like two ejector buttons on a James Bond film??..

I keep expecting the nice lady to eject her seat and hit space....

It might be the best option in due course imo....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Am I the only one who thinks the armrests on the white chair the nice lady sits on in the evening look like two ejector buttons on a James Bond film??..

I keep expecting the nice lady to eject her seat and hit space....

It might be the best option in due course imo....for TV 3

Fixed that for ya:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Fixed that for ya:D

They might be magic mushrooms for all I know!!....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

If UTV won't sell their original station to UPC, UPC should carry one of the other ITV regions instead (like ITV London or STV).

This new station is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I was delighted to hear we were getting a new saorview channel, but jesus, ITV/UTV is at least 90% bollocks at the best of times. It's just the most dumbed down irrelevant nonsense. Makes TV3 look solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Undeniable looks very good. Is this a new programme or has anyone seen it before?

Skid X wrote: »
    If UTV won't sell their original station to UPC, UPC should carry one of the other ITV regions instead (like ITV London or STV).

This new station is a joke.

UPC cannot pluck channels to put on. The broadcaster has to agree with it for starters. Then rights holders will probably kick up a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

lertsnim wrote: »
    UPC cannot pluck channels to put on. The broadcaster has to agree with it for starters. Then rights holders will probably kick up a storm.

No reason why they can't negotiate a price with ITV or STV. Even if UPC have to black out certain content it would still be an improvement on the current situation.

They'd be blocking out pretty much all of it as between TV3 and UTV Ireland the vast majority of the programming rights are covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Alison Comyn is flawless as a news presenter, some of the regional reporters seem to need a bit of practice though.

Having the oul notebook on display and having to look down to read from it seems a bit amateurish.

Advertisement