Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UTV Ireland Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Their first News Programme begins at 6.30pm tonight

Ireland Live with Alison Comyn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thought the weather screen looked a bit basic compared to RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Skid X wrote: »

Showing a big of leg she was too.You don't get that on RTE.:D

I didn't realise that Claire Brock had jumped ship from TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I didn't realise that Claire Brock had jumped ship from TV3.

A whole scad of tv3 staff have jumped ship lately. I think 6 was mentioned in the move to UTV. Must be a miserable place to work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Mr Frog

I wonder should a petition be started to get back the old UTV and strangle this crock at birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nothing special but reasonably competent. Interestingly the weather had no credit as to where they are getting the charts or information so I assume it's the UK Met Office which they are not meant to do because this is not their jurisdiction. It's like it's lifted from UTV in the north. If it was Met Eireann i'd assume there would be a credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Mr Frog wrote: »
    I wonder should a petition be started to get back the old UTV and strangle this crock at birth?

A petition will do nothing. UTV Ireland is here to stay. UTV will not be allowing their Northern Ireland service on UPC. it makes no sense to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I don't see Chris Odonoghue though. I thought he was joining the news team.

bazermc wrote: »
    I don't see Chris Odonoghue though. I thought he was joining the news team.

He does the 10.30pm 10pm bulletin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Mr Frog

lertsnim wrote: »
    A petition will do nothing. UTV Ireland is here to stay. UTV will not be allowing their Northern Ireland service on UPC. it makes no sense to do so.

It will if it's proving to be a failure

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Did anyone else feel nervous watching Mary Regan's report on the news tonight? I was afraid she was going to be knocked down by a white van at one stage.

mary%20regan%202.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

He does the 10.30pm bulletin.

What ? And back up again before 7 for newstalk. That's mad ted.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Did anyone else feel nervous watching Mary Regan's report on the news tonight? I was afraid she was going to be knocked down by a white van at one stage.

I did! It was very uncomfortable viewing. Either she was standing in a dangerous position or the driver was being far too aggressive. You don't need that on your first live report.

Mr Frog wrote: »
    It will if it's proving to be a failure

They will be giving it a lot more than a week before deciding if it's a failure.

Watching the news programme on sky hd and the voices seemed out of sync to me and there wasn't any subtitles!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

I would give it 6 months.

The whole station is a shambles.

Do they think their news will compete with Six one or Vin B?

If Red Rock rocks then it will be curtains for UTV Ireland.

bazermc wrote: »
    What ? And back up again before 7 for newstalk. That's mad ted.

Yeah, I can't see him doing both for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,137 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Adrian4 wrote: »

Won't Corrie and Emmerdale keep it afloat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

New season of Broadchurch starting at 9 PM. Except in UTV Ireland. We get a rerun of Doc Martin.
    I'm beginning to think this a scam...designed to fail from the outset. Either that or its being run by people who have no knowledge of television whatsoever. It's a pity Pat Kenny is ending his career this way. This time next year he'll be back doing the lotto on RTE.

• Advertisement

Adrian4 wrote: »

In fairness they were saying the same about TV3 when it started, UTV Ireland is just a few days old, there will be mistakes made but I'd say give it a chance anyway.

They are getting dogs abuse from the FB crowd, that lot don't hold back in their criticism.

New season of Broadchurch starting at 9 PM. Except in UTV Ireland. We get a rerun of Doc Martin.
    I'm beginning to think this a scam...designed to fail from the outset. Either that or its being run by people who have no knowledge of television whatsoever. It's a pity Pat Kenny is ending his career this way. This time next year he'll be back doing the lotto on RTE.

That's hardly the fault of UTV Ireland as they do not hold the rights for Broadchurch.

TV3 own the rights and you have to wait one hour on TV3 for Broadchurch as they show it at 10pm. A whole hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

lertsnim wrote: »
    That's hardly the fault of UTV Ireland as they do not hold the rights for Broadchurch.

TV3 own the rights and you have to wait one hour on TV3 for Broadchurch as they show it at 10pm. A whole hour.

It is their fault. If their business model consists of 2 soaps and Pat Kenny, they should have scrapped the idea. TV3 didn't get the rights from Santa, they bought them. If they can't compete, they don't belong in the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Sky customers can still get the ulster UTV by tuning in on the "add channels" section and it will be stored on the "other channels" section manually. By the way, nothing wrong with Doc Martin.

TV3 had the rights before UTV Ireland ever existed. How can UTV Ireland get them if TV3 already have them? UTV Ireland bought the ITV Studios programming. As more programming rights become available I'm sure they will buy them. That's usually how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

UTV content so far. Very disappointing. Looks like a repeats station.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,667 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why they should have done was launched UTV Ireland as a sub station of UTV in the same way that 3E is a sub of TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why are people disappointed?

What were they expecting to get from UTVi?

The majority of their promo material was about 2 soaps. That for me said it all. ITV/UTV - most of their programming is trash and appeals to the lowest common demoniator, so no shock at all for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Can't believe UTV Ireland aren't showing Broadchurch - one of the highest rating programmes in recent years. Now have to wait an extra hour ( on a Monday night when would like to get to bed reasonably early) to watch it.
    What exactly have we gained by this 'new' station. Pat Kenny?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It's kind of unbelievable that a country of 5million has 6 national channels!
    Two are useless (RTEs), one is trash (TV3), one defies description (3e) and the newest is between trash and defies belief quite possibly below defies belief
    TG4 should be declared the national channel and the others relegated to the 900s on Sky

Advertisement