Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UTV Ireland Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Can we please just have UTV back and forget about this pointless UTV Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

By the way does anyone know how to contact UPC to register annoyance? Their 'contact us' section on their website is ridiculously unhelpful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The screen froze after they went live to the studio on the first live at 10 and your man muzzled his words and does not look comfortable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I didn't realise that Claire Brock had jumped ship from TV3.

No complaints there. She is rather attractive amid the shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Poor Chris. He should stick to the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Mr Frog

The screen froze after they went live to the studio on the first live at 10 and your man muzzled his words and does not look comfortable at all.

There's a very nervous boy-child doing the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,137 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

bazermc wrote: »
    Poor Chris. He should stick to the radio.

First tv job and his first night!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,869 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd like priority entry into her beef market.

Sorry Chris, t'aint working buddy. Cross between a nerdy child and a hungover funeral director.

Its the radio for you son, keep the Gob Yates in check.

Stepford wife doing the weather there.

Alison talking over the outro music as well in an Anchorman style bid to get the last word.

I'll bet Chris will read anything you put on that autocue. And by anything I mean N-E-thing..

We might get a "Go **** yourself Ireland" out of him yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah crap, wanted to see Chris Donoghue's first effort. I've really grown to like him on Newstalk, hope it goes well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

New season of Broadchurch starting at 9 PM. Except in UTV Ireland. We get a rerun of Doc Martin.
    I'm beginning to think this a scam...designed to fail from the outset. Either that or its being run by people who have no knowledge of television whatsoever. It's a pity Pat Kenny is ending his career this way. This time next year he'll be back doing the lotto on RTE.

On Sunday night we had a 2010 episode (The Russian House) of Foyle's War meanwhile UTV was showing a 2015 episode (High Castle).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Adrian4 wrote: »
    I would give it 6 months.

The whole station is a shambles.

Do they think their news will compete with Six one or Vin B?

If Red Rock rocks then it will be curtains for UTV Ireland.

Even if RR is successful, its hardly enough to sustain it cause most of the shows on TV3 are rubbish.
    Why they should have done was launched UTV Ireland as a sub station of UTV in the same way that 3E is a sub of TV3.

Isnt that was it is now, with some shows such as the farming show and ITV ones from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why are people disappointed?

What were they expecting to get from UTVi?

The majority of their promo material was about 2 soaps. That for me said it all. ITV/UTV - most of their programming is trash and appeals to the lowest common demoniator, so no shock at all for me.

Hardly fair,there are some good dramas on ITV.Its all a matter of opinion, what appeals to some might not appeal to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

jimmyw wrote: »
    Hardly fair,there are some good dramas on ITV.Its all a matter of opinion, what appeals to some might not appeal to others.

Na, ITV is just brutal.

It coming off the Sky EPG all those years ago is the best thing that ever happened in my TV world

• Registered Users Posts: 81,667 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Isnt that was it is now, with some shows such as the farming show and ITV ones from them?

Yes but should have kept UTV available here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I thought the news programme Ireland Live at 10 wasn't bad at all. I thought a lot of their news reports in the programme were very detailed. The theme music to Ireland Live is very similar to UTV Live in Belfast.

Also, The Graham Norton Show will start on UTV Ireland this Sunday at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Does anyone remember Alison Comyn hosting a competitive cookery show on RTE sometime in the last 20yrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Of course there has been some good programming, but generally ITV is too obsessed with Z-list celebs and such like, and their programming reflected this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

AdBlocker works a treat on their player :D

Or maybe there are no ads...?

In all seriousness, traditional Ulster Television gave people in the Republic information and some understanding about politics and current affairs in the six counties, which was useful in informing opinion and fostering appreciation of the issues at play and what the various communities were dealing with. That remains an important aspect in cementing the peace process and normalisation, and its a loss to the Republic, particularly when UTV 'Ireland' serves no useful purpose or unique angle in markets that are well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well you always got bbc ni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I thought the 10pm News programme was ok - a bit long maybe, with an embarrassingly short sports section, but the overall impression it left was positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Expunge

Alison Comyn is a competent broadcaster and a fine looking woman, but having her young nephew beside her on the UTVI news is doing her no favours.

That and a couple of Jobridge style reporters around the place and the whole thing to me is not much better than TV3 when they had news.

The lazy bastards in RTE can go back to sleep. No problems for them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I thought the news programme Ireland Live at 10 wasn't bad at all. I thought a lot of their news reports in the programme were very detailed. The theme music to Ireland Live is very similar to UTV Live in Belfast.

Also, The Graham Norton Show will start on UTV Ireland this Sunday at 10pm.

Graham Norton is on every Friday night on BBC1 if you have it, bet its not going to be the present series.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

By the way does anyone know how to contact UPC to register annoyance? Their 'contact us' section on their website is ridiculously unhelpful.

Talk to... section top of the this page- though you will have to get in the queue, they are getting hockeyed out of it right now. Am enjoying reading the comments though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In all seriousness, traditional Ulster Television gave people in the Republic information and some understanding about politics and current affairs in the six counties, which was useful in informing opinion and fostering appreciation of the issues at play and what the various communities were dealing with. That remains an important aspect in cementing the peace process and normalisation, and its a loss to the Republic, particularly when UTV 'Ireland' serves no useful purpose or unique angle in markets that are well covered.

I enjoyed the ads for the various NI shopping centres/ shops, Buttercrane, Foyleside, Joseph Rae The Jewellers.....happy times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

NIMAN wrote: »
    Of course there has been some good programming, but generally ITV is too obsessed with Z-list celebs and such like, and their programming reflected this.

The top ten programmed on UTV (B.I!) in November 2014 in the republic (Most up to date info in ranked in order of popularity - i don't have numbers)

Downton Abbey
    I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here!
    Coronation Street
    The X Factor Results
    The X Factor
    Lewis
    Uefa Champions League
    Emmerdale
    Grantchester
    The Chase: Celebrity Specials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Graham Norton is on every Friday night on BBC1 if you have it, bet its not going to be the present series.

Why not? They have the current rights.

Advertisement