Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UTV Ireland Thread

Options

Comments

Undeniable looks very good. Is this a new programme or has anyone seen it before?

Its a good drama but it is from last year (2014), first shown on ITV/UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I cant watch the news on this channel at all, it manages to make me feel like I might be missing something important in Ireland at the same time I might be missing something internationally, its just got a pointless feel to it. Bet you any money the budget for all those regional reporters will be cut fairly rapidly aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭George White

The Paris correspondent is making a lot of mistakes. She said "Mathieu Le Pen", it is Marine Le Pen. And she stutters.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The Paris correspondent is making a lot of mistakes. She said "Mathieu Le Pen", it is Marine Le Pen. And she stutters.

She reminded me of school debates back in the day.
    The emphasis and phrasing in sentences seems off with a lot of their younger reporters, is this something they are taught?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Wasn't Sexy Sharon ni Bheolain supposed to start on UTVIreland? or did i miss that memo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Wasn't Sexy Sharon ni Bheolain supposed to start on UTVIreland? or did i miss that memo?

It would be pretty big news if she left RTE for this channel, I think.

Just as it was big news that Pat Kenny signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I put this in the Broadcasting forum, but I'll place it here too (after my 15minutes of hard research :D )

Outside of the soaps - here is the line up between 7-10:

Monday
    8pm Rare Breed (New - Homemade)
    9pm Doc Martin - Series 5 - Originally broadcast September 2011

Tuesday
    7.30pm - The Cruise Ship - Series 1 - Shown last July 2014
    8pm - Midsommer Murders - Series 14 - Originally broadcast March 2011

Wednesday
    8pm Surprise Surprise - Series 1 - Originally broadcast in October 2012.
    9pm The Bletchley Circle - Series 1 - Originally broadcast in September 2012

Thursday
    8:30pm Birds of A Feather - Series 10 - Originally broadcast in January 2014
    9pm Benidorm (New/Shown on UTV 6 days earlier)

Friday
    8pm James Nesbitt Ireland - Series 1 - Originally broadcast in March 2013
    9pm Undeniable - Series 1 - Originally Broadcast in March 2014

Saturday
    6pm The Cube - Series 2 - From 2010
    7pm Stars in Your Eyes (New)
    8pm Neil Diamond: One Night Only - Shown 2 months ago on UTV
    9.15pm The Great Train Robbery - Shown in December 2013
    11.15pm Spandeu Ballet: True Gold - Shown 2 months ago on UTV

Sunday
    7.00 Martin Clunes & A Lion Called Mugie - Shown March 2014
    8.00 Foyle's War - Series 7 - Shown in 2010
    10:00 The Graham Norton Show (New/Shown on BBC1 two days earlier)

Pretty much says it all. Four new shows in Primetime TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ Given that this new channel affects UPC customers in a negative fashion - both The Bletchley Circle (2 seasons) and The Great Train Robbery are both available in the On Demand section. Have been for 2 months now.

It seems to have found its ground competing with 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anyone have a link to the petition to restore UTV NI to UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

My dad going mental because UTV Ireland aren't showing the new episodes of Foyles War apparently :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

My dad going mental because UTV Ireland aren't showing the new episodes of Foyles War apparently :rolleyes:

Also going with iseegirls post above, there was an article about it in the Sunday Times. The head of UTV Ireland said they are showing programs like 'Foyle's War' from the very beginning as some people may not have had the access to UTV N.I. in the past and they didn't want them to miss out (words to that effect).

I've never heard such b.s.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Also going with iseegirls post above, there was an article about it in the Sunday Times. The head of UTV Ireland said they are showing programs like 'Foyle's War' from the very beginning as some people may not have had the access to UTV N.I. in the past and they didn't want them to miss out (words to that effect).

I've never heard such b.s.

They're showing Foyle's War from season 6 onwards. So not the very beginning and not the UTV season 9 that I'm downloading on Sunday nights. It keeps nobody happy. Before these idiots are allowed talk to a newspaper maybe they should try reading the TV listings in said paper first.

Indeed, nobody is happy. Its a shambles.

What i want to know about is sport? ITV dont do much but they do have champions league? Is that off the menu on UTVI?

Also i was relying on the itv rugby world cup coverage to save me from the awfulness that will be TV3 and Matt Cooper, how is that going to be affected??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Larbre34 wrote: »

What i want to know about is sport? ITV dont do much but they do have champions league? Is that off the menu on UTVI?

Also i was relying on the itv rugby world cup coverage to save me from the awfulness that will be TV3 and Matt Cooper, how is that going to be affected??

You could get Sky? I think that's the only remedy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

TV3 have the rights so UTV Ireland will not be showing it. A satellite dish will get you ITV HD with no subscription.

Just to add, you don't have to get Sky to receive ITV on satellite.

Plenty of people have no place to put a satellite dish. UPC broadband is currently the best price and the most reliable where I am. Therefore piracy is the only option until this waste of space channel goes the way of the dodo.
    It is a pity some seemingly sensible people left stable enough careers to work for this farrago of repeats, reality shows and amateur news.
    Rights to TV shows, budgets for movies, professional newscasters and independent production (if any) should have been worked out privately before any announcement was made. Starting out on New Years Eve with an "ah, shure twill be grand" philosophy is straight out of Fr. Ted...except they don't even have the rights to that.
    The idea that 400,000 UPC customers will leave their contracts to watch Jeremy Kyle is delusional.

I agree with Floating voter. Im one of those who cant erect a dish or aerial, its UPC or bust.

If it doesnt die of vitriol, we'll just have to kill it with viewing figures, or lack of.

Somebody in UTV took a gamble on this and is going to get the sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

A few additions to the schedule over the next few days:

Outnumbered Series 1 (From 2007) to be shown at 8:15pm Sunday nights
    101 Ways To Leave A Gameshow (From 2010) showing Saturday night 8:05pm

More repeats for the Irish viewers. Outnumbered shown numerous times on GOLD and BBC, plus it was shown on RTE1 recently.

But the strangest one yet is on Saturday and Sunday mornings starting from 31st January. It's on before Peter Andre's 60 Minute Makeover and it's called Sesame Street! :pac::pac:

You could get Sky? I think that's the only remedy at the moment.
    Stick a satellite dish on the side of the house and get a combi saorview/freesat box like the Ariva or whatever the best one is these days and thats the end of bills plus ITV and UTV and UTV Ireland in the same list if you want and all for free, way better than rip-off Sky.

iseegirls wrote: »

More repeats for the Irish viewers. Outnumbered shown numerous times on GOLD and BBC, plus it was shown on RTE1 recently.

But the strangest one yet is on Saturday and Sunday mornings starting from 31st January. It's on before Peter Andre's 60 Minute Makeover and it's called Sesame Street! :pac::pac:
    Its like someone over in London didnt realize that most of the population has already seen this sh1t when it was broadcast, they seem to think if it wasnt on RTE/TV3/TG4 before then they're good to go. 3E is better than UTV Ireland atm for Cowboy Builders and Bondi Rescue, repeats aswell but good for vegging out with a cup of tea while browsing the net at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Jaysus they must have shown Bondi rescue 10 times over at this stage. Enjoyed the craic from Kerbox, Whippet et al first time round, thanks 3e- enough please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Yay Sesame Street :)

Outnumbered series 1 is currently showing on GOLD on Thursday nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

A bit of quality television at last! I wonder if it is the real American version of Sesame Street? That hasn't had a regular slot in the UK or Ireland since 2001.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Afraid so. However, this is ITV's last season of covering the Champions League, and they nearly always pick the same games as TV3 (and even if they don't, there's usually only two games a night from the Round of 16 onwards, so the other game will be on Setanta Ireland if you have that).

Won't be on UTV Ireland either, nor the cable version of ITV4 which already blocks all sports programmes (and did so long before UTV Ireland was even dreamt up). If you have satellite, ITV and ITV4 (with no blockages) remain available via Other Channels.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Its like someone over in London didnt realize that most of the population has already seen this sh1t when it was broadcast

Er, UTV is based in Belfast...

Well yeah but its only a small part of the ITV network.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Thargor wrote: »
    Well yeah but its only a small part of the ITV network.

It's an independent company. ITV have nothing to do with them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Its an often made mistake in this country. UTV are not owned by ITV plc. They are publicly quoted in their own right and listed on the Dublin and London Stock Exchanges. Their relationship is now purely contractural.

In the old days, when there were fifteen independently owned ITV companies, there were a whole set of arrangements and committees for running the ITV network upon which representatives from UTV would have sat. These arrangements were massively reformed in 1993 and a proper central body with full time staff created. However, once ITV plc came into existence in 2004, these arrangements became vestigal since ITV plc had enough votes to dictate network policy. To the extent that they were still operating at all, they were dismantled last year. Now UTV pays ITV for its programmes. As an independent company it has full discretion when to air them (aside from ITN, which usually must be aired live, even then there are very occasional exceptions); it is a matter of convienence that they are almost all (other than the late night programmes, which are time shifted half an hour) aired at the same time as ITV.

Both UTV and UTV Ireland have a purely contractural relationship with ITV. The differences are that UTV gets the entire network schedule, UTV Ireland only gets programmes made by ITV Studios. Also while UTV NI, as a Channel 3 licence holder, is entitled to this arrangement as of right (and apparently at a discounted price), UTV Ireland is not, its arrangement is on a fully commercial basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Oh dear, oh dear... :o:o:o

Why did I say that? Well, here's what Iain Weaver had to say about the show when it first aired... ;)

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Weaver%27s_Week_2010-07-25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

it seems that UTVirl has no idea how to schedule a station. They are just penny pinching and buying the cheapest rubbish for filler material.

Advertisement