Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UTV Ireland Thread

Options

Comments

I can't see them lasting long unless they start getting the rights to the ITV current output and unfortunately they wouldn't be missed if they folded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

They seem to show a awful lot of Jeremy Kyle reruns.
    Are they able to show the stuff that itv show especially the Saturday night tv shows?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I can't see them lasting long unless they start getting the rights to the ITV current output and unfortunately they wouldn't be missed if they folded.

well they do hold two ace cards, i.e. corrie & emmerdale

which is the only reason the station exists

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They seem to show a awful lot of Jeremy Kyle reruns.
    Are they able to show the stuff that itv show especially the Saturday night tv shows?

They can't show any of the Simon Cowell shows as TV3 hold the rights to those

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should buy up 80's tv shows like Knight Rider, Magnum PI, Airwolf etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

lertsnim wrote: »
    They can't show any of the Simon Cowell shows as TV3 hold the rights to those

Which would go some way to explaining why they're showing 101 Ways To Leave A Gameshow instead... :o:o:o;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Seems Good Morning Britain will be airing on UTV Ireland from 2nd February. No announcement yet but its appearing in the advance schedules.

icdg wrote: »
    Seems Good Morning Britain will be airing on UTV Ireland from 2nd February. No announcement yet but its appearing in the advance schedules.

ITV news was scheduled to appear last night at 10.20 but it didn't show in the end. Hope it's not the same with GMB!

So... did anyone put themselves through 101 Ways To Leave A Gameshow last night? :o:o:D:D;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

See they have S03 Mr Selfridges tonight, at least 1 show is up to date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

See they have S03 Mr Selfridges tonight, at least 1 show is up to date

Yup, that's a ratings flagshow for UTV. Seems they've learned from the Foyle's War fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

you've got to be kidding me

you've got to be kidding me

Is it that bad? :o;)

As much as I'm sick and tired of Ireland I do have to live here. So Good Morning Britain is a bit daft when I'm planted in Dublin. I'll stick with Cagney and co. and hope to hell RTE resurrects Morning Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Odd branding decision - they are showing British live programmes throughout the day (and now Good Morning Britain) and then they expect viewers to tune into their made for Irish tv news programmes in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Odd branding decision - they are showing British live programmes throughout the day (and now Good Morning Britain) and then they expect viewers to tune into their made for Irish tv news programmes in the evening.

wonder what they'll do for news. GMB goes regional for a few minutes every hour or so, they even have one of the presenters announcing it (eg. over to belfast or their name maybe they say)

There was a demand for GMB on their social media sites, so I suppose they are giving the people what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

well it will probably bring them a bigger audience than the rubbish they are showing at that time now. all we need now is to convince them not to bother showing repeats when they have rights to new episodes of Foyles war etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There really was no need for this channel as it is now. If they really wanted an Irish version all they had to do is UTV NI with Irish News and ads (like how Sky have Irish ads on their main channels).

They were already accepting advertising from the South, and have been since the early 1980s. Setting up this channel was more about taking TV3 out of the equation than anything else. But to set up a channel targetted at the South only - not a rebroadcast - they had to acquire all the Irish rights to their programmes, which they have failed to do (and were never going to be able to in some instances eg sport).

By way of contrast, Sky and most satellite broadcasters buy Irish rights to programmes as a matter of course. The only one of the traditional 5 UK terrestrial channels that does this is Channel 4 (who, seeing the value of their Irish audience, quietly changed their terms and conditions of business to do this nearly a decade ago, and now have added the Republic of Ireland as an advertising region).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Figures out today show that only about 28000 people watch UTV Irl news on a daily basis, that's very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Figures out today show that only about 28000 people watch UTV Irl news on a daily basis, that's very poor.

28K, jaysus, that is bad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

28K, jaysus, that is bad

Yeah I was surprised myself, the top brass in UTV were playing it down but they must be disappointed by those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's what happens when you start half an hour after 6 one and an hour after TV3.

lertsnim wrote: »
    That's what happens when you start half an hour after 6 one and an hour after TV3.

I wouldn't count the TV3 news (which airs far too early) as the problem - the fact is that there's a history of bulletins attempting to compete against Six One (the original TV3 News@6 and Sky News Ireland) and failing spectacularly. 5:00pm is too early and 7:00pm is out due to the network schedule, so the only other thing would be to move it to 5:30pm which might be an option but would run right up against TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Where the **** is Sesame Street :@ it just say Teleshopping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Chris___ wrote: »
    Where the **** is Sesame Street :@ it just say Teleshopping

On Digiguide it has it down for 7th and 8th of Feb. Although, that could change like they've done with this weekends showings.

...and no Midsomer Murders. It's only been going for 17 seasons....sure the Irish won't notice.
    Die, pisspoor channel, die.
    Only a 5 GB torrent up online so piracy is a bit of a drag with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm surprised its that many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

28K, jaysus, that is bad
    If you set up a news programme just for Cork you'd probably get more than that, total flop.

There is something really off about that news though, its hard to describe, you just don't feel engaged watching it.

Advertisement