Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013-2014 Off-season - Pre-season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Gone to Boston now apparently. I know it's a low cost deal so it's low risk but do you think he still had anything left?

Yep....Reds pulled out on Tuesday for an un-named reason.

I do have good hope for him returning though.......the fact that he hasn't played since 2011 is because unlike plenty of other players, he followed doctors advice and took the time to fully recover before attempting a comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10339774/matt-garza-pitch-milwaukee-brewers

Interesting move for Garza
    He'll pitch well there.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Yet another Red Sox star looking to sign an extension, for a discount, to stay with the team.

Compare that to what's happening a few hours south of Boston and you wonder just how clever the half a billion dollar spend will look in 9 months.

Go Sox.

Jon Lester: "I want to be here until they have to rip this jersey off my back"

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcgqX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I thought this article was pretty cool

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66735520/30-mlb-stadiums-in-30-days?partnerId=ed-7862154-645808323

Only $11k..!!

Anyone any plans for trips over to the States to see any games this season? I won't be making one anyway although I am in Orlando one of the times the Mets play in Miami but I don't think I'll be able to convince the family to give up a day in Disney or wherever to go see a baseball match and I don't think they'd be happy with me heading of on my own for the day.

Ollie, are you getting a pack for the Reds again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I thought this article was pretty cool

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66735520/30-mlb-stadiums-in-30-days?partnerId=ed-7862154-645808323

Only $11k..!!

Anyone any plans for trips over to the States to see any games this season? I won't be making one anyway although I am in Orlando one of the times the Mets play in Miami but I don't think I'll be able to convince the family to give up a day in Disney or wherever to go see a baseball match and I don't think they'd be happy with me heading of on my own for the day.

Ollie, are you getting a pack for the Reds again?

Got 8 in last season, going to definitely try and get a few more in this year. Might even move over towards the end of 2014.

• Advertisement

Some great stuff here:

"BOSTON -- Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino chuckled when asked what he thought of the Yankees spending nearly $500 million on new players this winter.

"It's like 'Back To The Future,' is my sense," he said. "I've seen this movie before.

'Anything that can be done that increases the intensity of the rivalry, as this certainly does, I think is positive -- as long as it doesn't go so far as to give them the advantage."

Lucchino said he and fellow Sox owners John W. Henry and Tom Werner are just as committed to winning as the Yankees, but not when it means "crazy expenditures that might be commonplace in New York."'

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcgLF

Some great stuff here:

"BOSTON -- Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino chuckled when asked what he thought of the Yankees spending nearly $500 million on new players this winter.

"It's like 'Back To The Future,' is my sense," he said. "I've seen this movie before.

'Anything that can be done that increases the intensity of the rivalry, as this certainly does, I think is positive -- as long as it doesn't go so far as to give them the advantage."

Lucchino said he and fellow Sox owners John W. Henry and Tom Werner are just as committed to winning as the Yankees, but not when it means "crazy expenditures that might be commonplace in New York."'

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Some great stuff here:

Aaaagggghhh.....I hate the Bleacher Report. Worst sports site out there.

The Mets trying to keep up with the Yankees by also signing a Japanese pitcher. Unfortunately while the Yankees can afford to spend $150m on Tanaka, the Mets can only get Dice-K on a minor league deal and he'll earn $1.5m if he makes the team.

Aaaagggghhh.....I hate the Bleacher Report. Worst sports site out there.

I can only assume you didn't click the link??

• Advertisement

I can only assume you didn't click the link??

No, not until just there. At least it wasn't one of their own stories.

No, not until just there. At least it wasn't one of their own stories.

I just use the mobile app, which is excellent aggregator. Sharing the links always results in a BR link...

The good of their mobile app is inversely proportional to the bad of their website... they're different beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Wonder where will Kendrys Morales end up. Seems like he should have taken the Mariners qualifying offer.

Looks like the A-Rod circus is reaching the end of its run as he withdraws his suits against MLB and the MLBPA. I thought we'd get some more juice out of that one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Looks like the A-Rod circus is reaching the end of its run as he withdraws his suits against MLB and the MLBPA. I thought we'd get some more juice out of that one yet.
    Wow, I thought he would fight it to the bitter end considering he ignored the ban last season. Wonder will he show up at spring training, the ban doesn't stop him from doing that...

His lawyers are obviously disappointed with not getting their day in court (or $10m in fees) so one's decided to have his own lawsuit

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/rod-lawyer-sues-daily-news-kerik-defamation?utm_campaign=AP_Main&utm_source=SocialFlow&utm_medium=Twitter

Coeus wrote: »
    Wow, I thought he would fight it to the bitter end considering he ignored the ban last season. Wonder will he show up at spring training, the ban doesn't stop him from doing that...

"Rodriguez also no longer plans to report, as threatened, to Yankees spring training."

m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=10420920

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I'm sure his will to fight and sue everything he could was overpowered by the realization that a civil lawsuit would mean that all the evidence the MLB have against him would be made public.

A nice low key entrance for Tanaka into New York I see.....

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/68800/tanaka-195k-plane-ride-a-toy-dog

Watanabe's delivery in slow motion. Hoping to see this guy in some Spring Training games. His signing went really under the radar!

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Watanabe's delivery in slow motion. Hoping to see this guy in some Spring Training games. His signing went really under the radar!

I'd never heard of him to be honest but I do love a submarine pitcher. i remember Chad Bradford having one season with the Mets and while he wasn't always effective, it is a beautiful pitch to watch, especially when they nearly reach the ground just before releasing the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

i remember Chad Bradford having one season with the Mets and while he wasn't always effective,

I always really enjoy the chapter about him in Moneyball.

I'd never heard of him to be honest but I do love a submarine pitcher. i remember Chad Bradford having one season with the Mets and while he wasn't always effective, it is a beautiful pitch to watch, especially when they nearly reach the ground just before releasing the ball.

Darren O'Day at the Rangers a few years ago is the most recent submarine pitcher I remember watching regularly, he was very effective a couple of seasons ago.

Typical Yankees nonsense. What's next? Dating Madonna?

Typical Yankees nonsense. What's next? Dating Madonna?

What made me laugh was last season the press went to town on Matt Harvey because he went to a Rangers game "before he had proven he could pitch in New York". What are they going to make of this?

So No 2 Derek Jeter is set to retire at the end of the 2014 season.
    What a leader on the field, he will be missed around the yankee organisation.

So No 2 Derek Jeter is set to retire at the end of the 2014 season.
    What a leader on the field, he will be missed around the yankee organisation.

He'll be missed around baseball. He's a great athlete and competitor.

And we all know I hate the ****ing Yankees.

He'll be missed around baseball. He's a great athlete and competitor.

And we all know I hate the ****ing Yankees.

I'll forgive you this once milan

I'll forgive you this once milan

Ha! Thanks Krusty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Jeter, Mariano and Pettitte will be all gone within a year. Sad times for a Yankee fan.

Advertisement