Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013-2014 Off-season - Pre-season

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So it's official..

Tanaka is been posted
    Let the negotiations begin
    (come to the yankees please)

I read somewhere that he fancied a west coast team. But money talks and if the Yankees stump up enough cash he could easily end up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I read somewhere that he fancied a west coast team. But money talks and if the Yankees stump up enough cash he could easily end up there.

Dodgers then jack?? In fairness he's gonna have plenty of choice considering the posting fee is only 20 mill

Dodgers then jack?? In fairness he's gonna have plenty of choice considering the posting fee is only 20 mill

I don't know. It's all well and good saying you want to play in a certain area until some other team offers you twice as much money. Then location preference will probably go out the window.

The circus looks like it could be opening up for business again soon. A-Rod's suspension reduced to 162 games. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

His statement sounds like he's going to continue fighting anyway. Has he always included the abolishing of guaranteed contracts into this? I wasn't aware of it anyway.

“The number of games sadly comes as no surprise, as the deck has been stacked against me from day one. This is one man’s decision, that was not put before a fair and impartial jury, does not involve me having failed a single drug test, is at odds with the facts and is inconsistent with the terms of the Joint Drug Agreement and the Basic Agreement, and relies on testimony and documents that would never have been allowed in any court in the United States because they are false and wholly unreliable. This injustice is MLB’s first step toward abolishing guaranteed contracts in the 2016 bargaining round, instituting lifetime bans for single violations of drug policy, and further insulating its corrupt investigative program from any variety defense by accused players, or any variety of objective review.

I have been clear that I did not use performance enhancing substances as alleged in the notice of discipline, or violate the Basic Agreement or the Joint Drug Agreement in any manner, and in order to prove it I will take this fight to federal court. I am confident that when a Federal Judge reviews the entirety of the record, the hearsay testimony of a criminal whose own records demonstrate that he dealt drugs to minors, and the lack of credible evidence put forth by MLB, that the judge will find that the panel blatantly disregarded the law and facts, and will overturn the suspension. No player should have to go through what I have been dealing with, and I am exhausting all options to ensure not only that I get justice, but that players’ contracts and rights are protected through the next round of bargaining, and that the MLB investigation and arbitration process cannot be used against others in the future the way it is currently being used to unjustly punish me.

I will continue to work hard to get back on the field and help the Yankees achieve the ultimate goal of winning another championship. I want to sincerely thank my family, all of my friends, and of course the fans and many of my fellow MLB players for the incredible support I received throughout this entire ordeal."

$27.5m extra in the kitty for the Yankees to go get Tanaka now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I still think he'll end up at Seattle.

Hopefully so but im less confident than i was when he was initially posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

mod9maple wrote: »
    I still think he'll end up at Seattle.

How much money do the Mariners have to spend this offseason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

The circus looks like it could be opening up for business again soon. A-Rod's suspension reduced to 162 games. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

His statement sounds like he's going to continue fighting anyway. Has he always included the abolishing of guaranteed contracts into this? I wasn't aware of it anyway.
    I guess he has 25 million reasons to fight it. MLBs evidence against him is on the way...
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/first-details-in-rodriguez-case/

Big rumours tonight that it's come down to the Los Angeles teams and the yankees for Tanaka.

He has until the 24th to decide and sign a contract

• Advertisement

Instant replay confirmed for 2014.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10305223/mlb-owners-ok-expanded-replay-2014

This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I don't have a problem with replays per se, but I hope they don't slow up games to the point where they become overly long. I mean that's a long list included in that link. Too long in my opinion. Managers have a possible two requests and a crew chief can view as many as he likes. That's the possibility for some very long games! A few years ago there were complaints that in fact games were too long. I think it's time to start getting pitchers and especially batters (leaving the box to adjust your gloves before every pitch?) to speed things up.

Tbh I think umpires behind the plate not getting calls right is a far more serious problem than the odd call at a base but heaven forbid they lose their jobs to technology. Maybe this is the beginning of the end for them. You have to wonder why you need them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Clayton Kershaw inks a massive new deal cus of stuff like this. I could watch all day:

Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio were jokingly breaking down that deal yesterday working out how much he's going to be paid per start, per inning and per out and how much he'll be paid when he actually pitches compared to what he'll be paid when he's not.

I know the Dodgers have the money but it'll all boil down to whether he can stay healthy which isn't a given for any pitcher.

Does this rule them out if Tanaka now do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I don't have a problem with replays per se, but I hope they don't slow up games to the point where they become overly long. I mean that's a long list included in that link. Too long in my opinion. Managers have a possible two requests and a crew chief can view as many as he likes. That's the possibility for some very long games! A few years ago there were complaints that in fact games were too long. I think it's time to start getting pitchers and especially batters (leaving the box to adjust your gloves before every pitch?) to speed things up.

Tbh I think umpires behind the plate not getting calls right is a far more serious problem than the odd call at a base but heaven forbid they lose their jobs to technology. Maybe this is the beginning of the end for them. You have to wonder why you need them at all.

I don't get this "it will make the game too long" argument. (I know you're only saying that you hope it doesn't make it too long). Baseball is a game in which people SING during the middle of the 7th!
    Adding 1 or 2 minutes to a game to get the call right is not a problem.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    I don't get this "it will make the game too long" argument. (I know you're only saying that you hope it doesn't make it too long). Baseball is a game in which people SING during the middle of the 7th!
    Adding 1 or 2 minutes to a game to get the call right is not a problem.

I agree. If they really wanted to make he game shorter they could add a strike to the count whenever a hitter steps out of the box to adjust his gloves that he had just adjusted before the previous pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I don't have a problem with replays per se, but I hope they don't slow up games to the point where they become overly long. I mean that's a long list included in that link. Too long in my opinion. Managers have a possible two requests and a crew chief can view as many as he likes. That's the possibility for some very long games!

I can't remember the exact figure, but when this was discussed last year they worked out the average time it took from the umpires walking off the field, until they came out with a decision......it was something like 1minute 40 seconds.....again, can't remember the exact figure, but it was under 2 mintes..

Baseball is a relatively slow moving game with constant breaks and delays.......ballparks already have things in place to entertain the crowds during delays...... occassionally having a game go an extra 10 minutes or so (in the rare occassion that managers would use all their challenges) isn't going to destroy baseball.

With these new replays it won't be the umpires on the field assessing them. It'll all be done from a central location in NY so that should speed up the decisions as well. I don't understand anyone who thinks this is a bad thing.

With these new replays it won't be the umpires on the field assessing them. It'll all be done from a central location in NY so that should speed up the decisions as well. I don't understand anyone who thinks this is a bad thing.

Correct.....It's going to be run very much the same way as the TMO in rugby (except the "TMO" isn't on site)

Umpire calls the review official, he looks at the available replays and the decision is made.

You see the replays on TV all the time for these close calls, and 99% of the time, after watching the replay once or twice, the TV announcers are able to see what the call should be.

Nobody has addressed the possibility that it may even speed up the game, with plays now reviewable, it should reduce the number of arguments between managers and umps, and they always take much longer than the reviews did.

Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio were jokingly breaking down that deal yesterday working out how much he's going to be paid per start, per inning and per out and how much he'll be paid when he actually pitches compared to what he'll be paid when he's not.

I know the Dodgers have the money but it'll all boil down to whether he can stay healthy which isn't a given for any pitcher.

I'm not sure if they are out, but certainly Yankees and now Cubs are leaders. Be amazing if the cubs got him! What a boost for the club and the first ready-made piece to be added to the new look. Imagine if all their prospects came through! The farm is basically how they are selling the club to Tanaka. But I guess if he wants instant action, Yankees will win.

• Advertisement

Joey Votto will earn $17840 per inning through his age 40 season (if he played every inning).

Or $0.65 per second/$39 per minute/$2340 per hour for the next 9 years

Looks like CC Sabathia decided to stop eating during the off season.

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/01/20/cc-sabathia-skinny/

Reds are apparently close to signing Grady Sizemore......low risk, high reward move.....hasn't played since 2011 and less than 200 games 2009-2011 due to injuries.

But prior to that he was one of the best OFs in the game, and because of the injury history, the Reds are likely to get him for almost nothing.

Looks like CC Sabathia decided to stop eating during the off season.

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/01/20/cc-sabathia-skinny/

NO WAY!
    Hope he gets his mojo back this year.
    Great pitcher!

TANAKA NEWS

Tanaka to #Yankees, seven years, $155M, opt-out after fourth year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

TANAKA NEWS

Tanaka to #Yankees, seven years, $155M, opt-out after fourth year.
    Wow, thats a bit of an overpay but with so many teams bidding I guess they had to make sure they got him. Rotation doesn't look so bad now with CC - Tanaka - Kiroda - Nova plus one...

Imagine if Pineda recovered well. He'd be a great, if a bit erratic #5.

Reds are apparently close to signing Grady Sizemore......low risk, high reward move.....hasn't played since 2011 and less than 200 games 2009-2011 due to injuries.

But prior to that he was one of the best OFs in the game, and because of the injury history, the Reds are likely to get him for almost nothing.

Gone to Boston now apparently. I know it's a low cost deal so it's low risk but do you think he still had anything left?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Gone to Boston now apparently. I know it's a low cost deal so it's low risk but do you think he still had anything left?
    Sizemore has base of $750K

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1933309-grady-sizemore-reportedly-agrees-to-major-league-deal-with-boston-red-sox

That's SO cheap that even if he only played well for 50 games it'd be worth it...

On the OTHER hand if he bounces back... he's a three time all star...

It's typical Sox - low risk, high reward....

Compare that to the Yankess spending half a billion in the off season...

Put it like this, if both teams make the play-offs and one had to spend half a billion more to do it...

Advertisement