Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013-2014 Off-season - Pre-season

Options
  • 05-11-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

Well it's getting to that time of year.

Qualifying Offers being offered....

Will the Yankees keep Cano? As well as Granderson and Kuroda.

Bronson Arroyo not being offered one and expecting top dollar from elsewhere?!?

Red Sox make offer to Ellsbury, Napoli, and Drew (surprised).

Will Miami sign some stars for Stanton? Surely the wage bill allows/

WHAT WILL THE CUBS DO!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

It seems the Jays are letting Josh Johnson walk - no qualifying offer. He'd be a decent pick-up for a National league team.

I wonder where Rajai Davis will end up? Incredible speed, but wants an everyday job and he's never proven he can hit both lefties and righties consistently.

The Jays need a 2nd baseman, a catcher and at least one SP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Where would I start with the Mets shopping list?

- shortstop
    - 2 x outfielders
    - which mediocre 1st base to keep and which one to trade (with the one who is traded of course turning into Albert Pujols)
    - Veteran starting pitcher
    - possibly a 2nd baseman too.
    - relievers always needed too.

Where would I start with the Mets shopping list?

You'd have been better off listing what the Mets don't need! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

- Veteran starting pitcher.

Would you take Bartolo Colon out of interest?

8-10 wrote: »
    Would you take Bartolo Colon out of interest?

I don't know to be honest? What will he earn next year? The Mets plan the past couple of years has been to invite loads of 'past it' veterans to Spring Training on minor league deals then whichever one is left standing at the end of March gets a job.

So if Colon is looking for a big salary, he won't get it from the Mets.

• Advertisement

I don't know to be honest? What will he earn next year? The Mets plan the past couple of years has been to invite loads of 'past it' veterans to Spring Training on minor league deals then whichever one is left standing at the end of March gets a job.

So if Colon is looking for a big salary, he won't get it from the Mets.

He just sprung to mind when you said veteran starter as I know he'll be available. I think it's an interesting one as he's hard to project numbers for in 2014 because of his age, this year has probably priced him out anyway as you've said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Will the Yankees keep Cano? As well as Granderson and Kuroda.

Who will out bid the Yankees? Is anyone silly enough to give 10 year deals after the disasters with A-Rod and Pujols?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Who will out bid the Yankees? Is anyone silly enough to give 10 year deals after the disasters with A-Rod and Pujols?

I don't know who will outbid the Yankees.
    But there are plenty of teams with money, Angels, Dodgers, possibly Miami.

I don't know who will outbid the Yankees.
    But there are plenty of teams with money, Angels, Dodgers, possibly Miami.

Well their owner has a spare $32 million which I'm sure their fans hope (optimistically) he invests in the team

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/06/marlins-owner-jeffrey-loria-sold-a-painting-for-32-million/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Well it's getting to that time of year.

Bronson Arroyo not being offered one and expecting top dollar from elsewhere?!?

Arroyo will get a contract somewhere......possibly even in Cincinnati.....but no team would ever give him $14m for 1 year.

The Reds are being very cautious with their money.....and overpaying Arroyo by $6-$10m would be a big hit. If they offload Phillips' contract, they will probably make an attempt to resign choo, even with the $15-$20 million per year price-tag.

• Advertisement

Marlon Byrd to the Phillies apparently, $16m, 2 years. A good pickup if he plays like he did this year but will he?

The first relatively decent OF signing of the off-season.......will be interesting in the winter meetings to see how much the biogenisis scandal will affect Nelson Cruz's asking price.

The first relatively decent OF signing of the off-season.......will be interesting in the winter meetings to see how much the biogenisis scandal will affect Nelson Cruz's asking price.

I think GMs and teams in general put the blinkers on when it comes to PEDs. What you've done in the past seems to be forgotten. It's what you can do for us in the future that's all they seem to think of. Look at the aforementioned Marlon Byrd. He got a deal, although a cheap one, off the Mets despite his previous ban for PEDs.

I think GMs and teams in general put the blinkers on when it comes to PEDs. What you've done in the past seems to be forgotten. It's what you can do for us in the future that's all they seem to think of. Look at the aforementioned Marlon Byrd. He got a deal, although a cheap one, off the Mets despite his previous ban for PEDs.

True.....I was thinking more that it could be used as leverage in contract talks.....there are plenty of OF on the market and a team could get Cruz at a bargain price if he's still unsigned in the new year.

He got a deal, although a cheap one, off the Mets despite his previous ban for PEDs.

That's the thing. The deal will be a much cheaper one, at least in terms of years, than if a PED ban never had happened. Melky Cabrera would surely have got better than 2 years/$16 million.

Reds sign Skip Schumaker......solid start to the off-season for them. Their clubhouse was a major issue last season with a lack of veteran leadership. Schumaker will fill that void.

On top of that, he fills the utility bench player need as well as offering insurance in CF or at 2B if the Reds trade Phillips, fail to re-sign Choo or Hamilton isn't ready to play everyday.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10008050/detroit-tigers-agree-trade-prince-fielder-texas-rangers-ian-kinsler

Fielder to Texas for Kinsler and $30 Million.
    Seems to me that the Tigers got the better of that deal considering that Fielder has already shown a big drop off in power.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10008050/detroit-tigers-agree-trade-prince-fielder-texas-rangers-ian-kinsler

Seems to me that the Tigers got the better of that deal considering that Fielder has already shown a big drop off in power.

I'm not so sure about that. Fielder is an upgrade on Moreland who was poor after injury this year. Profar now has an everyday spot.

The key for Detroit though is that the trade should allow them to keep Scherzer for longer.

I actually think it's one of those trades where everybody seems to win. Except Moreland.

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. Fielder is an upgrade on Moreland who was poor after injury this year. Profar now has an everyday spot.

The key for Detroit though is that the trade should allow them to keep Scherzer for longer.

I actually think it's one of those trades where everybody seems to win. Except Moreland.

Allows them to keep Scherzer and frees up cash to try and lock up Cabrera too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Massive trade!! I think this a good trade for both sides that fulfils needs and allows new talent to emerge and play every day.

Looking at the $$$ side of this trade the Rangers will effectively pay $20M a year for 7 years for Fielder. Would they get a left handed power bat for that price, Cano is gonna want more money and years. Fielder's numbers should improve, playing in a hitters park that friendly to lefties and where the summers hot. Easy to see why he approved the trade but his his mind in the game...

On the flip-side, the Tigers are effectively paying $23M a season for 4 years of Kinsler. His numbers may take a hit playing in a pitchers park, with colder weather and on a team that haven't run so much in recent years but he is a gamer as long as he stays off the DL. As mentioned the Tigers get payroll flexibility down the line for Miggy and/or Scherzer.

It could be a few seasons before we ultimately see who gets the best of this deal...

The additional value for the Rangers is now they have gotten rid of Kinsler from 2B, they get to play hot prospect Jurrickson Profar everyday!

This will be great for him! The previous infield of Kinsler, Andrus and Beltre wasn't going to be broken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Yankees sign Catcher Brian McCann to a 5yr $85 million deal.
    Good pick up for them, decent power but more importantly balance behind the plate.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10026267/brian-mccann-agrees-five-year-85-million-deal-new-york-yankees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Yankees sign Catcher Brian McCann to a 5yr $85 million deal.
    Good pick up for them, decent power but more importantly balance behind the plate.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10026267/brian-mccann-agrees-five-year-85-million-deal-new-york-yankees
    Yep, big upgrade on the guys they had behind the plate last season. His numbers should improve with that inviting right field porch...

God help anyone who shows the slightest bit of happiness after scoring a HR against the Yankees next season. Officer Brian McCann will be on their case.

God help anyone who shows the slightest bit of happiness after scoring a HR against the Yankees next season. Officer Brian McCann will be on their case.

I look forward to he and Bautista 'having words'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Jhonny Peralta signs with the Cardinals, 4yr deal for around $52

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10030133/jhonny-peralta-st-louis-cardinals-agree-4-year-52-million-deal

To be honest i didn't see him ending up St Louis and i'm not sure this is a good move for him.

Jhonny Peralta signs with the Cardinals, 4yr deal for around $52

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10030133/jhonny-peralta-st-louis-cardinals-agree-4-year-52-million-deal

To be honest i didn't see him ending up St Louis and i'm not sure this is a good move for him.

I'm happy about this deal because it means we don't have to endure a whole off season of the Cards sniffing about Tulo!

Ellsbury to the Yankees!
    Fister to Washington!
    Nathan to Detroit!

AND the coup of the year I'd say, Dexter Fowler to Astros with Lyles and Barnes going the other way!

Meanwhile, the Mariners are muscling in on Cano and the Yankees are surely running out of cash what with Ellsbury and McCann tied down and the immediate need to bolster the rotation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Ellsbury to the Yankees!
    Fister to Washington!
    Nathan to Detroit!

AND the coup of the year I'd say, Dexter Fowler to Astros with Lyles and Barnes going the other way!

Meanwhile, the Mariners are muscling in on Cano and the Yankees are surely running out of cash what with Ellsbury and McCann tied down and the immediate need to bolster the rotation!

That I did not see coming! So much for the Yankees trying to come in under the cap this year! Unless they know something we don't (Cough...ARod suspension..Cough!)

Advertisement