Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013-2014 Off-season - Pre-season

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

In the winter of 2003 two cities went after the same man. On one side, New York. On the other, Boston. In the middle, the hired gun: Alex Rodriguez.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10410371

Welllllll worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

MilanPan!c wrote: »

It was interesting alright.

Really looking forward to the season ahead. Nationals have done really well in the offseason and in my completely biased opinion have the best starting rotation and a really potent offence.

The future is bright for my Nats I feel!!!

Like what the Mets are trying to do, Texas have made nice moves and the Yankees have really went gung ho to give Jeter a ring to retire with. It all points to an awesome season.

It was interesting alright.

Really looking forward to the season ahead. Nationals have done really well in the offseason and in my completely biased opinion have the best starting rotation and a really potent offence.

The future is bright for my Nats I feel!!!

Like what the Mets are trying to do, Texas have made nice moves and the Yankees have really went gung ho to give Jeter a ring to retire with. It all points to an awesome season.

It'll be nice to have a competitive Yankees again.

The AL East is gonna be a two horse race again, which means another Yankees/Sox playoff.

Cool beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

MilanPan!c: It'll be nice to have a competitive Yankees again.

Fans of the other 29 teams: No it won't...!!!

Last year's totals versus Baseball Prospectus' projections for 2014:

2013 Final Record

Boston: 97-65
    New York: 85-77
    Toronto: 74-88

2014 Projected Standings from Baseball Prospectus

Boston: 89-73
    New York: 82-80
    Toronto: 80-82

• Advertisement

It'll be nice to have a competitive Yankees again.

The AL East is gonna be a two horse race again, which means another Yankees/Sox playoff.

Cool beans.

I dont think the AL East is just going to be a two horse race .. all four of the five will fancy their chances of improving, Boston will surely look to maintain interesting addition with Grady Sizemore, hope it works out for him.

Could be a very interesting division!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I dont think the AL East is just going to be a two horse race .. all four of the five will fancy their chances of improving, Boston will surely look to maintain interesting addition with Grady Sizemore, hope it works out for him.

I don't think he'll end up being an everyday. Will split a lot of time with Bradley Jr. Low-risk addition though and he'll definitely help.

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't think he'll end up being an everyday. Will split a lot of time with Bradley Jr. Low-risk addition though and he'll definitely help.

If he's healthy I think he will be an everyday but cover all three outfiled spots. Big if though, Bradley will get time no doubt.

Like you said low risk, big reward scenario.

it'll all gonna depend... I think they'll play him in spots at first then gradually use him more and see what happens... saying that, JBJ is their go to guy...

Could be a very interesting division!

I'll stick by my prediction ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'll stick by my prediction ;)

Rays will be there or thereabouts I reckon

I'd never count out the Rays and Toronto (if they can stay healthy) will be better as well. Baltimore have been alright the past couple of seasons too but I don't know too much about their status this season but if they continue to gradually improve, you might not be able to count them out either.

So I don't think there's any way this will be only a 2 horse race. And who's to say Boston won't have the 'post winner' blues and drop off a bit?

Rays will be there or thereabouts I reckon

Yeah. Could be. They seem to always find a way to blow it though.

Would be great if this year was different.

I'd never count out the Rays and Toronto (if they can stay healthy) will be better as well. Baltimore have been alright the past couple of seasons too but I don't know too much about their status this season but if they continue to gradually improve, you might not be able to count them out either.

So I don't think there's any way this will be only a 2 horse race. And who's to say Boston won't have the 'post winner' blues and drop off a bit?

I would be hugely surprised if Baltimore or Toronto were meaningfully better this year.

Boston won't be as good as last year, the Yankees will be a bit better, but will hugely miss Rivera and even AFraud, and of course they're pinning their pitching hopes on a guy who's not pitched once in the MLB.

So.

But Tampa will be better than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Reds get about 3 hours into spring training before announcing that Mat Latos slipped on a pitching mound and needed surgery on his knee this morning.

Reds get about 3 hours into spring training before announcing that Mat Latos slipped on a pitching mound and needed surgery on his knee this morning.

ah jazes... so unlucky...

Just googled this... looks like he's expected back in...

10 days!

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24443215/reds-mat-latos-has-knee-surgery-expected-to-return-in-10-days

Here's the background info for you.....the Reds medical staff are terrible at dealing with injuries......they say 10 days.....but it's the same injury and surgery that Joey Votta had in 2012 and they said 1 to 2 weeks then and he rejoined the team almost 3 months later.

There is a history of players "suffering setbacks" in their rehab work, it happens often enough to serve as evidence that the medical staff have players resume activities too fast.

Here's the background info for you.....the Reds medical staff are terrible at dealing with injuries......they say 10 days.....but it's the same injury and surgery that Joey Votta had in 2012 and they said 1 to 2 weeks then and he rejoined the team almost 3 months later.

Ha, must be an MLB thing. The Mets always have players that are 'day to day' yet you don't seen them play again for weeks.

There is a history of players "suffering setbacks" in their rehab work, it happens often enough to serve as evidence that the medical staff have players resume activities too fast.

Kinda why I highlighted it... it seems so nuts...

• Advertisement

Kinda why I highlighted it... it seems so nuts...

If he does start the season on the DL.....the Reds' 5th starter would be Chein-Ming Wang, who they signed to a minor league deal in December, or Robert Stephenson.

Stephenson is their top pitching prospect, he was 7-7 in 22 starts with an ERA of 2.99 in the minors last year.......he still isn't quite ready to join a major league rotation full-time, but if it's a case of covering 2 or 3 turns in the rotation, they may give him a chance to see where he is.

If he does start the season on the DL.....the Reds' 5th starter would be Chein-Ming Wang, who they signed to a minor league deal in December, or Robert Stephenson.

Stephenson is their top pitching prospect, he was 7-7 in 22 starts with an ERA of 2.99 in the minors last year.......he still isn't quite ready to join a major league rotation full-time, but if it's a case of covering 2 or 3 turns in the rotation, they may give him a chance to see where he is.

Shame they always seem to choke in the postseason, as they have such good pitching...

Has he been up yet? If not and he is considered a top prospect, they'll probably get someone else to make a couple of starts and keep him in the minors until May/June so they can delay him becoming a free agent for another year.

Has he been up yet? If not and he is considered a top prospect, they'll probably get someone else to make a couple of starts and keep him in the minors until May/June so they can delay him becoming a free agent for another year.

Hasn't been up yet, but they are not concerned with the FA clock.....they've exhausted their minor league system and he's the only real potential starting pitcher, and all rumors point to Bailey leaving after this season if not sooner.....Stephenson is considered the long term replacement, if they manage to retain Bailey, they'll look to trade either Cueto (patience wearing thin on his contant injuries) or Leake

Hasn't been up yet, but they are not concerned with the FA clock.....they've exhausted their minor league system and he's the only real potential starting pitcher, and all rumors point to Bailey leaving after this season if not sooner.....Stephenson is considered the long term replacement, if they manage to retain Bailey, they'll look to trade either Cueto (patience wearing thin on his contant injuries) or Leake

That's strange that they are willing to give up a whole year of his rights just for 2-3 starts at the beginning of a season. Sometimes the way the schedule bounces you don't need a 5th starter until a couple of turns through the rotation but when they do need a number 5, it would make much more sense to give those couple of starts to Wang (or any of the ageing veteran pitchers that will flood onto the market once they don't make rosters around the league at the end of march) and get another full year out of the prospect. I know nothing about the Reds and how they do business but if this was most other clubs, i'd be very surprised if he was on the opening day roster. Unless he was a Harper/Trout level player.

That's strange that they are willing to give up a whole year of his rights just for 2-3 starts at the beginning of a season. Sometimes the way the schedule bounces you don't need a 5th starter until a couple of turns through the rotation but when they do need a number 5, it would make much more sense to give those couple of starts to Wang (or any of the ageing veteran pitchers that will flood onto the market once they don't make rosters around the league at the end of march) and get another full year out of the prospect. I know nothing about the Reds and how they do business but if this was most other clubs, i'd be very surprised if he was on the opening day roster. Unless he was a Harper/Trout level player.

Wang is decent as well, injuries have always been a problem but his second year with the nationals he was quite good before again getting injured.

Season is almost upon us!! :D Spring training!!! Woo hoo

Wang is decent as well, injuries have always been a problem but his second year with the nationals he was quite good before again getting injured.

Season is almost upon us!! :D Spring training!!! Woo hoo

Getting excited. Have been listening to Boston sports radio since last summer (and didn't even do that the 10 years I lived in Boaton), so am well stoked for opening day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I'm in the SF area around opening day and I've just booked tickets to see the A's vs. Indians on opening night. Pity the Giants aren't in town around that time - would love to see a game in AT+T Park.

Yeah, I'm getting excited about the new season too. The funny thing is that at this time of the year fans of most teams believe that if things bounce right they can be in with a chance of making the playoffs

I know I fall for the hype every year that the Mets are gonna be better than last year and get all excited only for reality to kick in by the end of April when I see how it's the same old story. But from about mid February until the end of March I stupidly think that this year will be different.

I'd imagine fans of most clubs are overly optimistic this time of year?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm getting excited about the new season too. The funny thing is that at this time of the year fans of most teams believe that if things bounce right they can be in with a chance of making the playoffs

I know I fall for the hype every year that the Mets are gonna be better than last year and get all excited only for reality to kick in by the end of April when I see how it's the same old story. But from about mid February until the end of March I stupidly think that this year will be different.

I'd imagine fans of most clubs are overly optimistic this time of year?

Back during the drought in Boston we always seemed to believe two things:

-We'd be great that year
    -We'd somehow blow it

It was pretty accurate most years ;)

The Mets though... God knows when that'll eventually turn around... The Cubs? I'd almost believe that'll never happen, except I saw it happen with the Sox. So. Live in hope I guess.

Advertisement