Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013-2014 Off-season - Pre-season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Does Beltran have 3 good years left in him would you say?

I'm not sure jack, his numbers over the last 2 seasons have been very good. I just find it odd that the yankees were reported to be only offering a 2 year deal and that kansas were offering the 3 years he was looking for so that made them the front runners. This could be looked on as a panic move

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

I'm not sure jack, his numbers over the last 2 seasons have been very good. I just find it odd that the yankees were reported to be only offering a 2 year deal and that kansas were offering the 3 years he was looking for so that made them the front runners. This could be looked on as a panic move

Def a whiff of panic in the air...

At the same time the Napoli deal leaves the sox in a very good position... feeling good about 2014... and just like Pedroia, Napoli left money on the table to stay with Boston... says a lot about the clubhouse and the orginisation...

And how's this for team camaraderie?:
    According to multiple major league sources, the Red Sox players did their part in helping bring back Mike Napoli.

As Friday unfolded, word trickled throughout numerous players on the Red Sox roster that Texas had interest that was going to be too good for Napoli to refuse. (Note: according to one source, the Rangers never actually ever made a formal offer.) The Sox had been sticking at two years at what was believed to be at $15 million per season.

With a decision looming, a significant number of the Red Sox players reached out to both Sox general manager Ben Cherington and manager John Farrell, urging the team to enhance its offer to the first baseman.

The message seemingly was valued, both by the Red Sox and Napoli.

The Sox upped their offer to $16 million per year, while the player (according to multiple sources) saw the interest from his teammates as another reason to remain in Boston.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/12/06/sources-red-sox-players-urged-front-office-to-up-mike-napoli-offer/

Now i'm wondering if the yankees have to trade either Soriano or Gardner??

And im happy with the deal to bring back Kuroda.
    We just need more arms and quickly.

Some context for the Cano trade:

Dysfunction at the top: Eric Wedge, others point to trouble in Mariners’ front office

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2022420240_mariners08xml.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Does Beltran have 3 good years left in him would you say?

He can DH now occasionally which should help, and I saw the stat that he's played at least 142 games each of the past 3 seasons, which is more than Ellsbury, Braun, Kemp, Crawford, Choo

I think it's a shrewd signing and I reckon they should keep Soriano and rotate both of them in RF and DH (Wells is a goner I'd think). That's an excellent outfield.

I think it's a good deal, they're looking at Plan A get to the playoffs and Plan B have the right players on the roster if they do get there. Beltran ticks both boxes in terms of being useful next season and the following.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Roy Halliday's calling it quits apparently. A great pitcher in his day, I loved watching him pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Roy Halliday's calling it quits apparently. A great pitcher in his day, I loved watching him pitch.

Arguably the best pitcher in baseball in the 2000-2010 decade. Sheer class. Press conference today about retiring as a Blue Jay too on a one day contract.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Arguably the best pitcher in baseball in the 2000-2010 decade. Sheer class. Press conference today about retiring as a Blue Jay too on a one day contract.

It's good that he's going to retire as a Blue Jay. A nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He was terrific. I remember wearing my Jays' Halladay shirt around Philadelphia the night the news broke that he was signing for the Phils.

Working in both Toronto and Philadelphia in the past 10 years meant I got to see him a lot. I have at least 6 t-shirts with his name on, will have to break them out this weekend in tribute.

My favourite player that I've seen live. Hall of Fame....?

Ehhh....

Top 10, but I'd def say not the best, considering someone like Pedro Martinez:

www.bleacherreport.com/articles/298910-history-unblurred-the-10-best-starting-pitchers-from-the-2000s

• Advertisement

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Ehhh....Top 10, but I'd def say not the best,
    Arguably...

I rest my case.

And I argue he was the best. So shoot me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I rest my case.

That article was written in 2009, the year before Roy's perfect game and postseason no-hitter.

I haven't been to many games myself but he is the easily the best pitcher I seen live. Threw one of the many complete games that day and made it look easy. Pity injury has cut his career short but good to see him retire as a Jay!

I rest my case.

I argued back, with stats.

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    I argued back, with stats.

Fro Bleacherreport? Seriously? :eek:

The sports equivalent of quoting the Daily Mail. :rolleyes:

ha ha. I hate the Bleacherreport. Worst sports website out there.

ha ha. I hate the Bleacherreport. Worst sports website out there.

Hardly.

Especially not for baseball. That would have to be the SportsIllustrated site.

And the other point is that the stats aren't created by BR. You can easily compare the official stats and reach your own conclusions.

The problem I have with the Bleacherreport is that it's seems to be aimed at the Facebook generation where everyone wants big fancy pictures and photo galleries at the expense of actual articles.

I know it's each to their own and who says my opinion is more right than yours but I actually like SI, especially Tom Verducci and Joe Lemire. Good quality articles that you don't have to flick past loads of photos to read.

The problem I have with the Bleacherreport is that it's seems to be aimed at the Facebook generation where everyone wants big fancy pictures and photo galleries at the expense of actual articles.

I know it's each to their own and who says my opinion is more right than yours but I actually like SI, especially Tom Verducci and Joe Lemire. Good quality articles that you don't have to flick past loads of photos to read.

I hear that.

I find that SI often neglects it's baseball coverage whereas Bleacher Report, especially the BR iOS app, is jammed full of baseball coverage, on a daily basis... some of it is silly, especially what they generate, but as an aggregator it kills it's competitors.

I almost never find enough to keep me interested on the SI page, but check BR multiple times a day for it's ongoing coverage.

• Advertisement

Getting back to the original question though, it's subjective who was the better pitcher. You can pick and choose stats and manipulate them and present them to make a guy look better than some other guy (in fact, in the article you quote from BR, the author even admits to making up his own stat)

Now this is ironic, but look what article I just found and where I found it!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1882094-breaking-down-roy-halladays-hall-of-fame-case

According to this BR story, Halladay's WAR is second only to Randy Johnson and we all know that these days WAR is the be all and end all of stats and some baseball writers base all their opinions on who's WAR is better. By the way I hate WAR as a stat (the whole 'replacement level player' definition annoys me).

So basically, stats will never prove who was better in a case like this.

I only started watching baseball in 2005 so Martinez was past his prime but I did watch some of his games as a Met and even towards the end of his time there, he was still very crafty but I'm obviously in a position to grade him for his overall career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Apparently the trade market for Logan Morrison is heating up.....Brewers, Jays, Pirates, Rays and Orioles are the initial teams involved.....Reds seem to be getting in on the action, he would be a good fit for them.....would challenge Ludwick for the left-field starting role (Ludwick never regained form after his injury on opening day)

Getting back to the original question though, it's subjective who was the better pitcher. You can pick and choose stats and manipulate them and present them to make a guy look better than some other guy (in fact, in the article you quote from BR, the author even admits to making up his own stat)

Now this is ironic, but look what article I just found and where I found it!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1882094-breaking-down-roy-halladays-hall-of-fame-case

According to this BR story, Halladay's WAR is second only to Randy Johnson and we all know that these days WAR is the be all and end all of stats and some baseball writers base all their opinions on who's WAR is better. By the way I hate WAR as a stat (the whole 'replacement level player' definition annoys me).

So basically, stats will never prove who was better in a case like this.

I only started watching baseball in 2005 so Martinez was past his prime but I did watch some of his games as a Met and even towards the end of his time there, he was still very crafty but I'm obviously in a position to grade him for his overall career.

I may have a bit of prejudice myself as I lived in Boston during the Martinez hayday. On his best days he was the best I've ever seen. Really shockingly good.

But hey, if I'm honest, I'm just happy to be talking about baseball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Sad to see Roy hang up his hat. Makes me feel very old...First time I saw him pitch in person was just after he got called back up:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR200108010.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

The thing is with Bleacher Report is that you cannot expect informative articles from it. If you're expecting that then you will obviously be let down.
    If you're expecting some mildly amusing sports stories then it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Is Matt Kemp on the way somewhere?

Is David Price on the way somewhere?

Lots of big trades to come I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Will the Yankees keep Cano? As well as Granderson and Kuroda.
    MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Who will out bid the Yankees? Is anyone silly enough to give 10 year deals after the disasters with A-Rod and Pujols?

Not having a dig Moyvilla9, just pointing out there was a silly enough team out there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Not having a dig Moyvilla9, just pointing out there was a silly enough team out there :D

Haha, if even the New York Yankees are saying "Hmm.. Maybe we shouldn't give him that much money" then what does that say!

• Advertisement

This week's been a great time to be following Twitter feeds. The rumours and possible deals going back and forth has been very entertaining

Advertisement