Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Been a while maybe others can post more specifics , but I recall Big Boss date of birth being changed and made 20 years younger in the data base in 4.

Ah I didn't know that. Thought there was something more seriously put out with the story line (if that's possible)

Also there is a short comic that links up the story as well, worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Corvo wrote: »
    Also there is a short comic that links up the story as well, worth seeing.

Do you have the link by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,393 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Corvo wrote: »
    Can you explain a little further?

Off the top of my head...

They revealed the Dr.Clark who operated on Grey Fox was female (specifically ParaMedic) rather than male as referred to by Naomi in MGS1.
    Revealed Big Boss was still alive
    Revealed Solidus was still alive
    Revealed Dr.Madnar was still alive (the doctor they bring Raiden to to be fixed up, was in MG2 I think)
    Said Liquid helped Naomi escape from prison (was implied in MGS2 that it was Solid who had helped her)
    Revealed the Patriots to be AIs instead of the names in the list Otacon got at the end of MGS2 (some say the list must have been the list of original Philosophers, but the last one (the Boss' father I think) died in the 1930s, less than what Otacon says about how everyone on the list died over 100 years ago).
    Rose saying Campbell was Raidens commander even though they'd never met and Campbell had been retired before that

Fair enough, some of that can be explained as stuff being implied or not fully confirmed, and I think the first one about ParaMedic is explained through Dr.Clark only being referred to as male in the English version, not the Japanese version, but Kojima has an immense talent for "What did we say before? Yeah, f*ck that, let's just ignore that."

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

This is a strange game.

The gameplay is quite good overall. The freedom of how you want to approach the missions is nice, but you feel kinda feel forced into using non lethal weapons in order to capture as many enemies as possible for the purpose of building up your base and enabling the development of new toys. There was only 1 decent boss battle but overall the core gameplay is probably a step above the previous games in the series.

The game world looks nice but is devoid of secondary activities and there is far too much travelling between objectives. The fast travel system requires you to still travel to an enemy camp and then sneak in undetected to use it.

Why is there a time delay on developing weapons and mother base facilities?

The main story line is long enough which I find it odd they felt the need to pad it out by locking missions that progress the story behind side ops or repeats of older missions on higher difficulty.

The story while better than MGS 4's is still bonkers. Kojima is a terrible director. There is good idea's in his story but the execution can be way off. My god the character of Emmerich was insanely annoying, up there with Jar Jar Binks. The story is not helped by the odd structure of accessing the missions.

Quiets appearance is embarrassing. The explanation given for it is rendered meaningless by the fact you can develop normal clothes for her that cover her up.

The reduction in codec calls and their replacement with audio tapes you can listen to during missions is a good idea, but the audio tapes are quite boring and the game lacks the humor of the previous games.

Odd that they go to the trouble of hiring Keifer Sunderland and he hardly says a word throughout the game, seems a pointless change to make.

They seemed to never finish off Eli's part of the story.

A very uneven game overall. A good game to drop in and out off. I like replaying the missions where the enemy have adapted there equipment to count your previous tactics.

• Advertisement

This is a strange game.

You can say that again!
    The gameplay is quite good overall. The freedom of how you want to approach the missions is nice, but you feel kinda feel forced into using non lethal weapons in order to capture as many enemies as possible for the purpose of building up your base and enabling the development of new toys. There was only 1 decent boss battle but overall the core gameplay is probably a step above the previous games in the series.

Exactly, which totally goes against the whole "open" way of approaching missions. Really, you are punished for killing enemies. So it's not open. The inclusion of Quiet is a game breaker, she is seriously over powered.
    The game world looks nice but is devoid of secondary activities and there is far too much travelling between objectives. The fast travel system requires you to still travel to enemy camp and then sneak in undetected to use it.

I found Africa to be very bland, extremely "brown" too (The landscape! Before ye report me! :pac: ) and nothing about the enemies actually changed. Would have liked to have seen the African troops a bit more undisciplined in comparison to the Soviets, or more erratic.
    The story while better than MGS 4's is still bonkers. Kojima is a terrible director. There is good idea's in his story but the execution can be way off. My god the character of Emmerich was insanely annoying, up there with Jar Jar binks. The story is not helped by the odd structure of accessing the missions.

I won't lie, on reflection I really liked the "true" ending and felt it was a really fitting end. Of course, further expansion on it would have been nice, and I'm sure there would have been only for the situation with Kojima.
    Quiets appearance is embarrassing. The explanation given for it is rendered meaningless by the fact you can develop normal clothes for her that cover her up.

Agree totally. I actually really liked her character and story arc, it was one of the best parts of the game and I genuinely needed her on missions at times. But yes, the appearance is shocking. Like a 14 year old created it.
    The reduction in codec calls and their replacement with audio tapes you can listen to during missions is a good idea, but the audio tapes are quite boring and the game lacks the humor of the previous games.

Probably only useful to people who followed the previous games or had interest in the lore of MGS. I enjoyed them in parts.
    Odd that they go to the trouble of hiring Keifer Sunderland and he hardly says a word throughout the game, seems a pointless change to make.

Probably too expensive to keep in the studio. Total waste. Wouldn't have argued if David Hayter was used again.
    They seemed to never finish off Eli's part of the story.

The infamous cut mission 51. Check youtube for the cinematic scenes. It would have greatly enhanced the overall game, pity it was not included.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got this during the 12 days sale on PSN, as well as ground zero. Will be likely starting off this weekend.

I also want to say I quite liked the 80's soundtrack to this game. Some good tunes in there.

Also the PC port was very good, ran very well and not a single crash.

PC Gamer have named this as there game of the year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Horse84

I'm completely stuck after mission 43. There's no important sideops or main missions not completed. Suggestions??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Horse84 wrote: »
    I'm completely stuck after mission 43. There's no important sideops or main missions not completed. Suggestions??

Have you listened to the cassettes in yellow?

• Advertisement

Yea that's all done too

Have you done Side-op #150?

Azza wrote: »
    I also want to say I quite liked the 80's soundtrack to this game. Some good tunes in there.

Also the PC port was very good, ran very well and not a single crash.

PC Gamer have named this as there game of the year as well.

Guess they missed the Witcher 3 memo :pac:

Joking aside , there is no way this game should have GoTY status anywhere given the BS that whet along with it even though on a technical level it's better than 90% of games this year, I can't see beyond it not being finished and it's terrible choices in terms of story and how it's presented,
    like the skull face monologue with the rubbish music over it
    near the end or worse .... massive spoiler
    you weren't even playing as big boss at all
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,610 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Surprised on the lack of nominations for this in the Best Music category in the Boards Games awards.The soundtrack is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sportstar583

Just got this game and am loving every minute of it. I should've got it sooner to be honest.

Have you done Side-op #150?

There's no option for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

There's no option for it??

Need to do a few things before it unlocks.

Spoilered an important of side op 150, imo you should leave the mission alone unless you are done with the game and need closure on it.
    To unlock "Mission 46: Truth: The Man Who Sold the World", you must first fulfill the following requirements:

Complete all main story missions (excluding 45 and 47-50)
    Complete all the core Side Ops that are marked yellow on iDroid
    Upgrade Mother Base and its platforms as you keep progressing to unlock Mission 45. (Note: Accessing Mission 45 also requires you to complete Side Op 150, a mission with its own pre-requisites.)
    How to unlock Side Op 150

Side Op 150
    leads tot he finale of Quiet's story, but doesn't necessarily bring Quiet back. In o rder to unlock it, you'll need to fulfill the following requirements:

Do not kill Quiet in Mission 11: Cloaked in Silence. You need to keep her alive.
    Quiet must be battle-ready, and no recuperating.
    Max out Quiet's bond level with you.
    You must have seen the cinematic cutscene at Mother Base in which Huey is exiled.
    Do not use the Butterfly design on your Emblem.

Guys does any know if a
    Nuke
    can be stolen while in development? and if the time to make it is real or in game time ? I'll be doing it online as I don't have the resources to do it offline.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Need to do a few things before it unlocks.

Spoilered an important of side op 150, imo you should leave the mission alone unless you are done with the game and need closure on it.

Thanks for this. How do I see the cutscene about Huey? This game is a mess

Thanks for this. How do I see the cutscene about Huey? This game is a mess

Keep doing main and side ops the game will bring you back to motherbase for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Just heard somewhere that MGO launched for PC. Gonna try it when I get back tonight.

Edit: Booted it up, don't see it or any notice for it launching. Guess the info was wrong.

See this has come out on top of metacritics best reviewed game this year.

I can't decide if I like this game or not.

See this has come out on top of metacritics best reviewed game this year.

The opening line from a "Tale of Two Cities" sums this game up for me "It was the best of times it was the worst of times"

I'm so bittersweet about it , but how any one objectively reviewed it having finished it and not nailed it to the wall for it's flaws and what it could have been bugs me a little. Don't get me wrong here I'm not out to grind an axe with this game , I know i've been vocal in my criticism of it on here but really if it was that bad a game I wouldn't still be playing it :o

I guess the fact is inspite of it the game is better than 90% of all AAA released this year, like I said I'm still playing it doing side ops etc which is more than can be said for most of the other games I played this year I could still do stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I think I just don't like conceding that I like it.

It bugs me to admit that something as flawed and incomplete as this is still (IMO) tremendously good fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,393 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Essien wrote: »
    I think I just don't like conceding that I like it.

It bugs me to admit that something as flawed and incomplete as this is still (IMO) tremendously good fun to play.

It's weird, isn't it? The shine went off the game for me after a few weeks and all the flaws came to the forefront. But... it's still a damn fantastic game at its core. The gameplay itself is spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Arturo Bandini

I'm about 10 hours into this game and was wondering does the game change visually, or does the vast majority of the game have the same look? I can see it getting repetitive quickly if there's no variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm about 10 hours into this game and was wondering does the game change visually, or does the vast majority of the game have the same look? I can see it getting repetitive quickly if there's no variation.
    You go to a different map after mission 13 that's different than the Afghanistan brownness.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MontyChips

Just finish the game today after purchasing about six weeks ago. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it but feel that there are a few elements that prevent it from being a true masterpiece.

Firstly gameplay is very good. It feels fluid and cohesive. The stealth mechanics are the best in any Metal Gear game and a massive improvement from Guns of the Patriots. Furthermore the amount of choices and weapons at your disposal is overwhelming and I've yet to experiment with half of them. Being able to approach missions in a variety of different ways is refreshing and personally rewarding. However I'm not in favour with missions having opening credits as I feel it spoils the mission knowing what characters will appear. Also I'm not a fan of the ranking system used ( S,A,B etc..) I feel it entices the player to play in a certain way (mainly non lethal) and this can dampen the experience at times. While I always try to take the stealth approach, sometimes it can be more exciting and logical to call in an airstrike or attack helicopter but this will prevent you from achieving a high rank.

Enemy AI is frustratingly good and they display excellent awareness and sharpness. It's also pleasing to see enemies adapt based on your style and strategy. Attempt too many night infiltrations and enemies will begin to wear night vision goggles. I never played Peacewalker so this was my first experience with the Fulton. I have mixed feelings. On one hand I understand its inclusion; it's a quicker way from Snake to recruit and rebuild Mother Base rather than haul people onto a chopper over an over but I feel it takes away a tactical element to the game as it is so much easier to Fulton enemies rather than hide bodies which I found myself doing less off.

Afghanistan and Africa are stunning and aesthically breathtaking at times. However like others I feel they are too barren and empty. There is very little to do outside of the enemy outposts (which I thought they did a great job on as no two are the same and need to be approached in different ways). I mean there was a war between the afghanis and soviets. Surely they could have included a few skirmishes similar to MGS4 or even the odd cave or two to explore. As magnificent as these environments are, there was so much potential that was not touched. They game could have also benefited with another location perhaps a more urban style base like shadow Moses or camp omega. By the way didn't kojima say ages ago players would return to camp omega??

I know a lot of people had issues with the story/ending. At first I had mixed feelings but I feel it was really clever and does answer one or two questions that surface in later games but ultimately presents new questions and doesn't tie up a lot of lose ends. My main issue is the build up or lack of build up. Chapter two is disappointing and the latter portions of the game feel rushed and incomplete. I felt the ending came suddenly with no exciting lead up I am used to. It was also annoying to have to repeat older missions on harder difficulties which effected pace and caused the story to feel disjointed; I know there were production issues at the end but it still feels lazy and like a cop out.

Lastly the characters. I enjoyed David Hayter as Snake/Big Boss in previous games but thought Sutherland did a great job here. Hayter's voice suits a more younger snake whereas Sutherland fits that middle aged soldier out for revenge. Additionally he helps create a darker tone and atmosphere by saying very little. I thought Miller was excellent and Kojima created a wholesome character by conveying his emotions of anger and resent. Quiet was an intriguing character whose little speech helped create a mysterious personality that made you want to discover more about this silent assassin. Ultimately grew attached to her as she was the buddy I used the most in the field and felt a great deal of sympathy towards her in the latter stages of the game. However Ocelot and Skull Face disappointed me as I felt they were not developed enough and Ocelot had no substance whatsoever. I recall him taking his revolver out once and his purpose was just to brief Snake; not like the Ocelot from previous games. I know kojima replaced cut scenes with cassettes to make the story move quicker, but I feel that more cut scenes would help develop characters further. The tapes can be hard to listen to at times and I always found myself getting distracted.

I'm a massive Metal Gear fan and anticipated this game for awhile. Apart from it feeling rushed and incomplete, I enjoyed the experience And I'm sure I'll get a few more hours of it. I know this is a long post and thanks if you read but I've loved this series since the PS1when MGS came out and needed to get a few things off my chest. Feel free to comment on anything you agree/disagree with or PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Agree with the above but I feel this isnt the game Kojima wanted to make it was the game he was forced to release.

Now i dont think the story would change much if he had more time and resources but i do think the overall issues would been resolved (empty world etc). This is an actual game changer in open world games. The sheer amount of things I wanted to do in this vs the things i CBA arsed doing in Far Cry for example is astounding.

• Advertisement

It took a couple of hours today... but I managed to capture all 47 animals. I had 28 captured before today. I looked at a YouTube video in order to get any of the remaining ones. I don't know how you'd manage it without some help.

Advertisement