Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Xenji wrote: »
    Well after the large MGO patch, it looks like Konami will now no longer support MGO due to it closing of Kojima Productions LA studio today, looks like the PC version cold be dead in the water also.

They have said they are moving the support to the Japan based studio so they are still supporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

They have said they are moving the support to the Japan based studio so they are still supporting it.

Never officially, it is just a line taken from a Eurogamer report saying it had moved before the games release, with the way Konami is being ran at the moment, it would not be surprising if they started washing their hands of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Not sure if anyone else has an issue but it was annoying me since day 1

At times, snake would move of his own accord. If I stood still I would twitch. Very annoying in a cardboard box, or in a tower or over a ledge and has gotten me caught or killed on many an occasion

I finally figured it out that the issue is when im charging the controller. Plug it out and the issue stops immediately. Plugging in the charger you can literally see snake going from still to twitchy straight away. stops immediately when i unplug

also caused me no end of issues trying to place markers, select landing zones, etc...... I'm happy I finally found the cause but I really wish it could be fixed, so irritating, especially with the DS4 battery life. Anyone know how to report the issue now I know the cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Not sure if anyone else has an issue but it was annoying me since day 1

At times, snake would move of his own accord. If I stood still I would twitch. Very annoying in a cardboard box, or in a tower or over a ledge and has gotten me caught or killed on many an occasion

I finally figured it out that the issue is when im charging the controller. Plug it out and the issue stops immediately. Plugging in the charger you can literally see snake going from still to twitchy straight away. stops immediately when i unplug

also caused me no end of issues trying to place markers, select landing zones, etc...... I'm happy I finally found the cause but I really wish it could be fixed, so irritating, especially with the DS4 battery life. Anyone know how to report the issue now I know the cause?

I get this too using keyboard and mouse. It's an in-game ghosting issue... never seen anything like it and seems to not be getting any serious attention by Konami to patch it.

I've managed to trigger it on purpose a few times. I think it has something to do with pressing a lot of buttons at the same time. Also note it doesn't just happen to the movement keys (WASD) or stick movement on pads... I've had it constantly pressing down E or the whatever the action button is on pad. It seems like it could trigger on anything but I guess these are the most common because of their placement or usage during barrages of multiple inputs to the game.

To stop it, you don't have to disable the controller. Just press the key that is getting turbo'd and it will stop in my experience. Has killed me once.

Seems to have been confirmed that after the most recent patch you can get back
    Quiet
    by playing 'cloaked in silence 7 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭brady12

They want us to grind more ? **** off konami

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭Penn

brady12 wrote: »
    They want us to grind more ? **** off konami

In fairness, not that much of a grind.
    Play the normal version of it and just use supply drops on her. You'd have her back in no time.
    Compared to some of the sh*t Konami have pulled with resources and FOBs, this can barely be considered a grind in comparison to many other elements of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭Evade

Quiet
    Tried it. It works. It only took about 30 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I 'finished' the game last night, albeit still with 48% left on the completion percentage :pac: But having completed all the core missions and put in close to 60 hours, I definitely feel done with the game.

Chapter 2, as messy as it is, does feature possibly the best mission of the game. Shining Lights, Even in Death illustrates what a lot of the game is missing - a tightly scripted situation that at the very same time feel like a surprising culmination of the mechanics you've been engaged with from the start. And it doesn't
    play out in menus like the earlier 'virus' episode. Few games would ask you to point a gun at potentially valuable characters and pull the trigger (that there's no choice in the matter makes it more effective if anything)

While there are unquestionably hours of fun to be had in the two sandboxes and playing around with the plethora of tools available, it's a game that ultimately suffers from the same issue as all open world games - so much stuff, but a relative lack of moments that truly stick in the memory. Even a couple more 'scripted' situations that pushed the Mother Base system, for example, in fresh directions would have done so much more to make everything feel more substantive and meaningful. That there's actually a handful of moments that do achieve it actually makes it more disappointing - I've seen the clips of the incomplete proper finale, and to have the isolated Mother Base sections more involved with the proper gameplay would have been a brilliant conclusion. Especially if there had been more moments throughout the game that achieved it - as is, once you fulton soldiers they're little more than ants for there on in, unless they become embroiled in the pair of
    'infection sections'

As for Quiet, I was reluctant to pass full comment until having played through her full arc. As jumbled and convoluted is at is - it's Metal Gear, lest you forget :pac: - Kojima I think just about manages to justify the silence of the character in a way that makes thematic and narrative sense, and maybe even enhances them. The skimpy clothing though - pretty sure he just likes boobs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I haven't played too much, maybe up to Mission 13 or so, and probably won't get back to it for a while as Fallout 4 is out now.

But the part that stuck out in my memory the most...due to the feeling of anticipation it gave me (probably because it seemed like Metal Gear Solid - small location, inside , not open world)...was when you first encounter that new Metal Gear thing in the mountains looking for Dr,Emmerich.

Walking down the mountain tunnel into the mountain and seein the SkullFace and the Metal Gear...I thought 'Yes !!!' I am going to have some stealth action inside this base like back on Shadow Moses or something.
    There will be narrow corridors, and guards posted in rooms and security cameras and I will have to make use of the cardboard box properly (because why would there be a cardboard box in the middle of the road in a desert)

Unfortunately the Metal Gear was wheeled away behind a big blast door, and I was told to exit the tunnel and make my way directly out of that base that I spent time sneaking past to get inside the mountain in the first place.....got on a horse..galloped away...and was called by Miller to tell me to visit the base...that the men will miss me. What a let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Corvo

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I haven't played too much, maybe up to Mission 13 or so, and probably won't get back to it for a while as Fallout 4 is out now.

But the part that stuck out in my memory the most...due to the feeling of anticipation it gave me (probably because it seemed like Metal Gear Solid - small location, inside , not open world)...was when you first encounter that new Metal Gear thing in the mountains looking for Dr,Emmerich.

Walking down the mountain tunnel into the mountain and seein the SkullFace and the Metal Gear...I thought 'Yes !!!' I am going to have some stealth action inside this base like back on Shadow Moses or something.
    There will be narrow corridors, and guards posted in rooms and security cameras and I will have to make use of the cardboard box properly (because why would there be a cardboard box in the middle of the road in a desert)

Unfortunately the Metal Gear was wheeled away behind a big blast door, and I was told to exit the tunnel and make my way directly out of that base that I spent time sneaking past to get inside the mountain in the first place.....got on a horse..galloped away...and was called by Miller to tell me to visit the base...that the men will miss me. What a let down.

Ha, I know, that part was utter tosh. I spent a lot of time scoping out that base, got through without as much as tranquilising someone. Did that whole scene with the Metal Gear, cut scene ends and all my tags are gone off the soldiers outside so I have to make my way back through to then go back to where I came from.

Disgusted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Argh need help! Mission 22 where a 'commander' has invaded MB. Any tips? It's frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

faceman wrote: »
    Argh need help! Mission 22 where a 'commander' has invaded MB. Any tips? It's frustrating!

Thats exactly where i am aswell. Its very tough as the invading force are uber alert at all times. Plus its very hard to tag them as you start from below them. I smoked a cig to get to night time thinking it would be easier but i ended up falling to my death climbing in the end. I'll give it another bash tonight.

In regards to the game in general i've put a lot of hours in even though i'm only on mission 22 i've completed a lot of the side missions as well. I enjoy the game and i know fulton gets a lot of abuse but i like it (think its a little too overpowered though as others have said being able to run up to tank and fulton it seems a little odd).

The open world design does feel off for a MGS game and i think there's a slightly disjointed feel to whole thing - even down to the fact that each mission has an end credits scene doesn't really help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

IIRC he was up on the roof of one of the platforms, I was able to climb up another one and snipe him from there (never actually managed to reach him). That still required dealing with a good few enemy soldiers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ugh. These side-ops really do become a chore. I've 70 completed. A long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Ugh. These side-ops really do become a chore. I've 70 completed. A long way to go.

I dumped the game entire a few weeks back after wasting so much time on this side ops. Sorry - I've better games to play that an endless repetitive set of mini missions.

Loved the game itself, but the VERY ODD ending that then chucked up missions already completed in harder difficulty settings seems such a cop out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Woah, I thought the game was finished at the end of "chapter one", was about to freak because the game has been an utter bore up until now...

Still trudging through this. Think I'm at mission 22 or 23, what does it matter, they are nearly all the same!

Given up tranquilising troops, just straight out murder now. One tap to the dome. Letting Quiet loose. Breaking out D-Walker.

Damn you all to hell.

Corvo wrote: »
    Still trudging through this. Think I'm at mission 22 or 23, what does it matter, they are nearly all the same!

Given up tranquilising troops, just straight out murder now. One tap to the dome. Letting Quiet loose. Breaking out D-Walker.

Damn you all to hell.

Damn you all to hell.

Damn you all to hell.

Damn you all to hell.

Damn you all to hell.
    Still trudging through this. Think I'm at mission 22 or 23, what does it matter, they are nearly all the same! It gets boring, very quickly.

Damn you all to hell.
    Still trudging through this. Think I'm at mission 22 or 23, what does it matter, they are nearly all the same! It gets boring, very quickly.

Damn you all to hell.

Too much Metal Gear Solid make Corvo go crazy!!

I was just emphasising my point!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

I can't stay interested in this game at all. The intro was great but quickly got bored with riding a horse around the desert. Is it that repetitive the whole game?

I think I'm too old or don't have the time to waste. I just need a game I can pick up and get straight into the action where I previously left off!

Anyone still playing this? Anyone still playing this and still have their sanity intact? :pac:
    I'm at 54% completion (Mission 32 and about 65% of Side-Ops completed) with about 86 hours sunk into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I boot it up now and then and do a few FOBs. There's just not a whole lot else to do. All I can do is repeat missions or do identical ones for and fulton every soldier in sight to up the MB/FOB quality. I do enjoy it when I play it but I don't play for long. If MGO3 was available on PC I might play a bit more but from what I've seen and heard of that (I watch a veteran MGO2 player play/commentate on it) I'm not excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭Penn

After completely binging on it for over a month, haven't played it in about 2 months. Never even bothered with MGO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm on chapter 2 but just been doing side ops since getting here to raise cash. I'm just buying time tbh till I can get my hands on fallout 4.

I can't really see myself going through all of Chapter 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

It's only like 5 hours max. You don't need to do the [EXTREME], [SUBSISTENCE] etc missions. It's like the endgame in Peace Walker, you just do sideops and that will unlock new missions.

As for me, I am at 71%, I was basically done once I got the endings(I play games for the story primarily), but I did some sideops to kill time over the last couple of months and now I have them all completed. I tentatively started replaying missions and getting the optional objectives, but I'm not going to continue, that style of completionism isn't for me.

Also, at this endgame stage, the only way to get new equipment is to engage with the FOB mode, as it's the best way to get soldiers and resources and it's the only way you're likely to get your teams to high enough ranks. And I have no interest in doing that.

Now that a few months have passed and it's clear enough that there is no massive 'ruse' and that the game is just in the state it's in, I'm coming to terms with it. It was very ambitious, but it clearly had a troubled development and there were some missteps. It is still the game Kojima wanted to make, just I don't think it's the game I wanted to play. He has more or less outright said that he originally didn't want the game to have a story at all, he focussed on the free open world stealth aspect. Really my biggest problem is that the game fails to flesh out its themes- the trailers, the lyrics to original songs, dialogue and Kojima's comments say it's all about revenge and becoming demons, but that never comes through at all, it's just something Kojima says but it's not backed up by your experience playing the game.

I still can't decide though if the title of 'The Phantom Pain' is a hint, that the game(and the prerelease material) was crafted specifically to create this kind of hollow empty feeling I have. It seems plausible, MGS2 did something similiar by subverting your expectations and introducing Raiden. If so, that it's intentional(create a game that is still objectively a 9/10 great game, but neuter aspects of it, leave threads dangling, hint at things that aren't fleshed out, so that it leaves you feeling unsatisfied in a way you can't define)it definitely worked, but I also don't want to give Kojima credit that isn't due when he might just have ****ed up.

Theres so much wrong with the game, I wouldn't even know where to start.

Can't wait to fling it in a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xavier8228

Anyone still playing this? Anyone still playing this and still have their sanity intact? :pac:
    I'm at 54% completion (Mission 32 and about 65% of Side-Ops completed) with about 86 hours sunk into it.

I'm still playing, close to where you are. Just finished mission 34 last night. Can't get online as my psn has been down for the past month so I'm just playing missions and side missions. Still enjoy it immensely but it does drive me mad sometimes!

I'm on chapter 2 but just been doing side ops since getting here to raise cash. I'm just buying time tbh till I can get my hands on fallout 4.

Short on GMP or short on cash to buy Fallout 4?

• Advertisement

Short on GMP or short on cash to buy Fallout 4?

Sorry meant GMP. :)

Advertisement