Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I had to go brush up on my MGS lore (my eyes hurt from reading so much!) as I missed out on Peace Walker and GZ, the only 2 games in the series I've never played. Also, they're the 2 games prior to TPP, if I'm not mistaken. Felt like I wanted to know wtf was going on before I jumped into this, and now I do :D

Anyways, after an hour or so of playing, I'm impressed. The game looks unreal graphics wise and I can't wait to get into the nitty gritty of this game. Some wtf moments during the prologue
    who is this big firey fella, and why is he riding a FIREY UNICORN?! Also did I just witness a giant fire whale destroy a chopper? :eek: I'm also gonna assume that little red haired kid is psycho mantis right? It fits in with the mgs timeline that he would be a kid circa 1984
    Can't wait to play later when I finally get more time to myself.

On a serious side note, how long is GZ? The actual canon part is only one mission, correct? (the trojan horse one). I managed to secure a copy today (thanks again to tok9 for the key!), would it be worth playing before I go into TPP? I pretty much know the whole story from reading about tonnes of MGS lore today, but if it's worth playing/necessary, I'll play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp play GZ.Took me 2 hours on my bound first run but can be done much quicker. You'll get to see the events that lead to the starting off TPP.

As for the prologue, in guessing the
    kid is either mini mantis or Paz from GZ....or maybe they are one and the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

google is fcking evil.

lesson learnt do not google any previous mgs characters...

even if it's just to get a quick spellcheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Prologue spoiler:
    I'd be very confident the kid is Psycho Mantis. One thing in particular that I noticed was how it's long sleeves hang off its arms resembling the front legs of a mantis. I gather that the fire man, horse and whale are some kind of apparitions created by PMs telekinesis. The fire man resembles Big Boss IMO. At one point when we get a close look we can see something very like shrapnel in its head and all over its torso, just like the xrays we see of Boss at the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Can anyone recommend a good article that will bring me up to speed with all of the MGS lore? I've only played the PS1 title. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

You get a lot of bonuses if you connect online daily. Also was able to upload my ground zeroes data finally

Can anyone recommend a good article that will bring me up to speed with all of the MGS lore? I've only played the PS1 title. Cheers.

I found this one brilliant.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2050xm/metal_gear_the_complete_story/

• Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've only done the first 5 or 6 missions, is it just me or is it a bit repetitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Just ordered from The Game Collection website, based on recommendations here. Great price. Looking forward to it now. Hope it gets here by the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

awec wrote: »
    I've only done the first 5 or 6 missions, is it just me or is it a bit repetitive?

I hope it's just you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭Evade

Prologue
    I think the flaming boss is supposed to be Volgin from MGS3. Whether it's actually Volgin (unlikely) or Kid Mantis projecting it or some sort of bone-in-brain induced halucination is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I hope no one is forgetting to shower! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wow, that prologue has to be one of the worst gaming experiences I've had in a long time. It's just painful. If I didn't know that it became a different game after it, I'd have turned it off. But once you do suffer past it, it's a great game. Not perfect, but there's so many little touches that I can't help smiling at (Ocelot's speech before he lets you loose in Afghanistan is pure cheese. I love it! Or "Guest Starring" in the opening credits). I haven't done much of the missions, instead I've just been exploring a small part of the map and I'm not finding much, yet still loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I agree. With the lack of equipment you have at the early part of the game you don't really have many options. I like the gameplay, but it just gets frustrating after a while, the enemy AI is extremely good, and the game introduces helmeted guards really early on if you are playing in a headshotting style(and realistically, what else can you do with just the tranq pistol and rifle and various grenades you have at the start of the game?) You need to fulton people to build up your base, so you are locked out of a lot of the possible gameplay options, at least until you get a decent base going.

Unrelated, did anyone order from GAME.co.uk? The game didn't arrive today. Very disappointing.(been playing on Steam)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

About 3 hours in... so that's like 3 missions i think?
    Just rescued Kaz. The Prologue was AMAZING i ****ing loved it. Volgin and Mantis :fap: :fap: what freaked me out though was the character customization at the beginning, all i could think was NO NO NO NOT A CLONE PLEASE DONT LET THE CLONE THEORY BE TRUE, ehhh but i guess that was just for your online character? Oh, that woman that killed the nurse and doc. that looked so much like Quiet. she's supposed to be Quiet i assume? or was i trippin'? GIMME GRAY FOX

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭nerd69

pretty confident the fire dude is just a hallucination and mantis is reflecting the attacks back on people not sure why the sprinkler would stop him though perhaps it overrides the subliminal messaging in your mind with regards fire/water who the **** knows its kojima it could just be a giant fire dude thats very protective of mantis. agree with people the prologue was a pain and i dread going through that on repeat runs but what iv played of the main game so far iv really enjoyed

MrMorooka wrote: »
    I agree. With the lack of equipment you have at the early part of the game you don't really have many options. I like the gameplay, but it just gets frustrating after a while, the enemy AI is extremely good, and the game introduces helmeted guards really early on if you are playing in a headshotting style(and realistically, what else can you do with just the tranq pistol and rifle and various grenades you have at the start of the game?) You need to fulton people to build up your base, so you are locked out of a lot of the possible gameplay options, at least until you get a decent base going.

Unrelated, did anyone order from GAME.co.uk? The game didn't arrive today. Very disappointing.(been playing on Steam)

So you're saying it gets better?

So far for me it seems to be basically:

1. Get dropped off by chopper
    2. Take out smaller outpost
    3. Get to main area
    4. Look around with binoculars
    5. Go in and kill / extract
    6. Leave

Rinse and repeat.

Welcome aboard Hideo
    360859.jpg

Zero C base coming along nicely..
    360860.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyone else unable to connect to the servers? I'm constantly in offline mode. This is Xbox One BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

3. Get to main area
    6. Leave

Rinse and repeat.

The enemies adapt to how you play. Keep taking headshots from a distance, they'll wear helmets. Keep CQCing, they'll wear body armour. Keep attacking at night, they'll use night vision goggles.

The mission structure is quite similar, but the game will begin to punish you for not varying things up yourself by using different tactics, equipment etc.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    Anyone else unable to connect to the servers? I'm constantly in offline mode. This is Xbox One BTW.

Yeah, same on PS4. Konami released a statement that they are working on the servers so need to take them offline for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Evade wrote: »
    Prologue
    I think the flaming boss is supposed to be Volgin from MGS3. Whether it's actually Volgin (unlikely) or Kid Mantis projecting it or some sort of bone-in-brain induced halucination is another story.
    Yeah it has to be Volgin, especially with the bullet belt across his chest. Why he can use fire instead of lightning or why he's there at all is beyond me. My guess is its Psycho Mantis using Big Boss's interpretation of Volgin (as in, Big Boss considers Volgin to be a demon so PM, in his youth, literally creates him as a demon instead of how he actually was)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

How does this compare to Far Cry 4? Similar type of game?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

quarryman wrote: »
    How does this compare to Far Cry 4? Similar type of game?
    Very similar. Open world with outposts, marking enemies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

MrMorooka wrote: »

Game cancelled hundreds of pre orders last week due to a glitch on their computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sigh how I intend to play......I am the night, a ninja, a blowy type wind.

What actually happens

-17 killed, alerts....fcuking alarms ......

ffs

3. Get to main area
    6. Leave

Rinse and repeat.

Actually just did mission 7 which is way longer than all the previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

So far, from my Ground Zeros save file Iv had
    Hideo, the eye and the finger join my ranks

:)

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sigh how I intend to play......I am the night, a ninja, a blowy type wind.

What actually happens

-17 killed, alerts....fcuking alarms ......

ffs

I've only managed to do one mission without killing anyone. It's difficult enough. If you trigger an alarm you may as well forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So far, from my Ground Zeros save file Iv had
    Hideo, the eye and the finger join my ranks

:)

How did you import your save, it won't let me.

Advertisement