Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JellyBean Galaxy s3 today vodafone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yeah got OTA update on Vodafone network. It's XXUG. Seems all good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Mine seems fixed. Unlocks quick anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Looks like it might be fixed.

But that's just on the first 5 min of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah me too. Just got that new download.

Response seems to be better. Jury is out on the battery consumption though. I've gone from 100% battery to 73% with about 45 mins of browsing net and Facebook app etc via wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

How spastic is this....
    Check phone for updates
    It gives me the max number exceeded error above, suggests using Kies
    I download latest version of Kies from their website & install it
    I first run Kies, it tells me there is a newer version, please uninstall Kies and re-Install the new version
    I do this, I now get an Unsupported connection mode warning, telling me to change the connection mode to Media Device (MTP) before connecting

I have no idea what this is or how to do it. And with the last software update I cant even find Developer Mode and other stuff in settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Are yous getting the update via kies? I'm trying to update mine in the device settings and update but it's telling me I already have the latest.

My phone wont connec tto Kies because of this MTP connection warning, and I feel like a spa but I cannot find the USB settings stuff on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

My phone wont connec tto Kies because of this MTP connection warning, and I feel like a spa but I cannot find the USB settings stuff on the phone

As far as I remember theres on ongoing notification in the swipe down bar and you can change it there?

As far as I remember theres on ongoing notification in the swipe down bar and you can change it there?
    Thanks, that's right, click on the USB icon in the notifications and you can enable MTP

And after all that, against all expectations, an epic fail - Kies tells me "This is the latest firmware". What genius stuff.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Are yous getting the update via kies? I'm trying to update mine in the device settings and update but it's telling me I already have the latest.

It's telling me I have the latest fimrware too. I'm not on WiFi here so not sure if that is the issue. i.e. Kies does not have the latest firmware, and VF is blocking updates over their Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

I updated mine and it seems fine now

blainj2 wrote: »
    I updated mine and it seems fine now

Did you use the VF Network or was your internet connection via Wireless?

Wireless for me...

I reckon VF are throttling the update or only allowing it via Wireless. Will try when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I was able to download it through the Vodafone network not using Kies.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Wireless but i got offered it on the VF network then switched to wireless to download it.

Just done the same 20mb update and there is a still a few bugs im noticing

1. Share button in gallery not working
    2. Time on lockscreen not the same as time in top right hand corner of screen(out buy a few mins)
    3. Battery drain still there
    4. Under battery use Android OS is running at 30% on 4.1.2 it was never this high.

Will never buy Samsung again and thinking of moving from Vodafone altogether now.

Very dissapointed

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

No sign off an update for me where exactly do I find it? What is this kies thing ye are on about?

Just done the same 20mb update and there is a still a few bugs im noticing

1. Share button in gallery not working
    2. Time on lockscreen not the same as time in top right hand corner of screen(out buy a few mins)
    3. Battery drain still there
    4. Under battery use Android OS is running at 30% on 4.1.2 it was never this high.

Will never buy Samsung again and thinking of moving from Vodafone altogether now.

Very dissapointed

It's better alright, but the battery issue is the big one. Looks like you'll need to charge it twice per day with normal usage.

They should just release kit-kat straight away! Seems to be a lot lighter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Am seriously considering the Cyanogenmod install, but still a bit dubious as I'm well within warranty.

One question, if I back up the phone with Kies before installing Cyanogenmod can I then restore settings/messages/pics etc the same way?

I tried using Titanium, but apparently the phone has to be rooted

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Highly unlikely. If you want KitKat you need to root and install a custom ROM

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Bosh wrote: »
    Am seriously considering the Cyanogenmod install, but still a bit dubious as I'm well within warranty.

One question, if I back up the phone with Kies before installing Cyanogenmod can I then restore settings/messages/pics etc the same way?

Thanks

Root the phone and do a backup to SD card of your stock ROM via the recovery console.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=33305767&postcount=1

Once rooted it will show a ! in the top left corner of your screen which indicates that you have modified the phone. Should you have a warranty issue just use Triangle Away, flash your backup and the Samsung techs won't know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Downloaded new version of Kies. It says I have the latest firmware.
    When I try over WiFi it tells me that the maximum number of roll-out updates have been exceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

When I try over WiFi it tells me that the maximum number of roll-out updates have been exceeded.

Yeh I'm getting the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Bosh wrote: »

Thanks

I installed Cyanogenmod even though I'm still in warranty. I won't be going back to Samsung stock ROM. This is very reliable. I had problems with Bluetooth even before this update. Everything is working perfectly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

pippip wrote: »
    Yeh I'm getting the same.

Same here, this is very frustrating. Alarm did not go off this morning. I'm in China on business.

When will this be available to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

It's better alright, but the battery issue is the big one. Looks like you'll need to charge it twice per day with normal usage.

Yea battery seems poor for me also but everything else is working better.

I'd say we can forget about Kit-Kat. By the tone of "updates" we got from them my guess is Samsung & Vodafone see S3 owners as ungrateful children who don't appreciate everything they do for us and as punishment they will do nothing more for us. I'll be reviewing my options when my contract is up in a few months and right now Vodafone and Samsung have some serious ground to make up on their rivals for my business.

Me too, still. Tried on broadband connection last night and still no dice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Anyone wondering about battery life on cyanogen, i found recalibrating the battery with BatteryCalibration helped.
    Looks like you'll need to charge it twice per day with normal usage.

Thats a bit of an exaggeration. More like once a day, and i managed to get 36 hours from my last charge, all be it with practically no use though. Coming from stock on an s3 though can be frustrating to see it drop away with literally no use, stock would drop barely 1% an hour.

Advertisement