Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JellyBean Galaxy s3 today vodafone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Phone just rebooted itself and came back on in the slowest spinning Samsung circle I have ever seen - took about 1 minute to do a full revolution:mad:

I'm racking my brains here to think what can be done - no response from Samsung/Vodafone - could I demand a new/replacement phone with the old OS ?

I have a sick kid at the moment and cannot afford to be uncontactable - have a 3 hour drive tomorrow, 2 hour meeting and 3 hour drive back - I'll have to borrow a phone to be sure of getting a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

I have all the same issues.

This is very frustrating.

Crap battery
    Unresponsive
    Screen goes blank when receiving a call
    Switch itself off

I did a factory reset, little improvement.

We need a fix ASAP

I just rang Vodafone, basically told me, it is not there issue, nothing they can do. It's up to Samsung to fix. And offered to give me there no.

I'm due an upgrade in a month, off to a different provider and I think an iPhone I think !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

TommyGun wrote: »
    I just rang Vodafone, basically told me, it is not there issue, nothing they can do. It's up to Samsung to fix. And offered to give me there no.

I'm due an upgrade in a month, off to a different provider and I think an iPhone I think !!

Although realistically, they can do this, I would have thought that since your contact I'd with Vodafone they can't fob you off like that.

3rdDegr wrote: »
    Although realistically, they can do this, I would have thought that since your contact I'd with Vodafone they can't fob you off like that.

I have a business account with multiple phones and they basically said live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

Hi folks,
    Could you try disabling both the s-voice and s-search functions - let us know if there's any improvement after doing so.

Thanks,

Hi Darren,
    I have disabled s-voice, s-suggest, samsung Apps, pagebuddynotisvc, vodafone updates, discover and Facebook. That has brought my phone to a point that it takes 4-5 seconds to start. However I still missed 2 calls yesterday because my phone was ringing, I had it in my hand but I was waiting for the screen to come on so I could hit accept. At one point I checked my phone and had a missed call but it never even rang (it was beside me at my desk). That is utterly unacceptable. Disabling functions is NOT a solution.

This has been going on for almost a week since this so called update first appeared on your network and infected our phones (I use the word infected because this update has characteristics more akin to a virus than an upgrade). Your mail is the first recognition by vodafone that there is an issue. Vodafone's customers rely and trust your service to operate our businesses and we pay you very very well by international standards for that service.

What are vodafone going to do to compensate people for this? At the very least I propose that if this issue cannot be fixed today then all S3 owners should be immediately offered an upgrade to a new, working, phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Hi folks,
    Could you try disabling both the s-voice and s-search functions - let us know if there's any improvement after doing so.

Thanks,

Darren - any update on a fix on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

touts wrote: »
    Hi Darren,
    I have disabled s-voice, s-suggest, samsung Apps, pagebuddynotisvc, vodafone updates, discover and Facebook. That has brought my phone to a point that it takes 4-5 seconds to start. However I still missed 2 calls yesterday because my phone was ringing, I had it in my hand but I was waiting for the screen to come on so I could hit accept. At one point I checked my phone and had a missed call but it never even rang (it was beside me at my desk). That is utterly unacceptable. Disabling functions is NOT a solution.

This has been going on for almost a week since this so called update first appeared on your network and infected our phones (I use the word infected because this update has characteristics more akin to a virus than an upgrade). Your mail is the first recognition by vodafone that there is an issue. Vodafone's customers rely and trust your service to operate our businesses and we pay you very very well by international standards for that service.

What are vodafone going to do to compensate people for this? At the very least I propose that if this issue cannot be fixed today then all S3 owners should be immediately offered an upgrade to a new, working, phone.

I have to agree with you tout - this is vodafones problem. Its totally unacceptable to be tried out as guinea pigs with software that doesn't work. Surely Vodafone had to be aware and agree to this software being sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Awful awful update - screen takes forever and a day to show when I try to use it, sometimes doesn't load at all

Unresponsive, slow, definitely not an update I would recommend in any way, shape or form. I am looking at my wife's iphone now gliding effortlessly around and feeling a little jealous :(

Get it sorted Samsung\Vodafone!! :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I backed my S3 up last night and did a full reset this morning - so far so good in that the problems I had seem to be gone... pain in the ass in terms of the time it took and the overall hassle of the last few days but I'd recommend others try this too - I appreciate some have already and it's not worked but it did for me so there may be hope for others!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

:( Talk about flippin jinxing myself - five minutes later I go to use my S3 and back to the problem of a long delay when I hit a key to try use it. Balls... back to Samsung CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Awful awful update - screen takes forever and a day to show when I try to use it, sometimes doesn't load at all

Unresponsive, slow, definitely not an update I would recommend in any way, shape or form. I am looking at my wife's iphone now gliding effortlessly around and feeling a little jealous :(

Get it sorted Samsung\Vodafone!! :mad:
    Just spoke to Samsung customer service. They are saying its an Android issue not Samsung. They are working on it though the time frame for a patch is weeks rather than hours or days!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Kalyke wrote: »
    Just spoke to Samsung customer service. They are saying its an Android issue not Samsung. They are working on it though the time frame for a patch is weeks rather than hours or days!:mad:

... well it going to affect my future purchases as if it's a Samsung issue so for their own sake I hope they pull the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Have Samsung acknowledged the issue and made any statement on this?

On lunch this afternoon I dropped into Vodafone to pick up one of their leaflets for iPhone price plans....I'm due a new phone soon and ain't waiting around for the next "Lion bar" release\fix or whatever they are going to call it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Already decided to go HTC next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

FWIW, same issues here: v. slow to wake, if it'll wake at all. Since Sunday's update, I've had to remove the battery 2 or 3 times a day in order to reboot, so I can wake the phone.

Music playback (at least from Google Play) stutters to much as to make it unusable.

Battery life has also taken quite a hit.

In addition, there are problems with the SD card, at least with the camera: it can't save any photos to the card, but only to the device memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I had to pull the battery 3 times today, not sure if I missed any calls while it was frozen. I dont know I have the pateince to go the custom rom route, used to change the rom every couple of weeks on the s1, I'd rather just stay with proper firmware that works

Really pissed off with the phone at this stage. Why the hell can't vodafone rollback the firmware update to 4.1.2 instead of leaving us hanging. Im sick of them saying " try disabling s voice..s search options.. factory reset" WE HAVE TRIED THAT AND IS STILL DOESN'T WORK PROPERLEY.(listen to your customers!!!) I was late for work this morning because my alarm didn't go off, another thing to add to the growing list of problems with the bad firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Im not on Vodafone but I would have blindly did the update.... Thank god I seen this thread first....

Why don't ye cancel your Vodafone contracts? If its an error on their part then they are surely not living up to their end of the contract so it should be null and void.... To use its customers like guinea pigs is beyond riduclous and if I were a Vodafone customer I would be sure to call in and give them an ear full before cancelling.

Plenty of other providors out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Sounds like Vodafone have a had a mare here, I suggest people get googling how download and install the previous firmware, I'm sure it will be on sam mobile. Its not as hard as it looks and there is loads of great tutorials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Really pissed off with the phone at this stage. Why the hell can't vodafone rollback the firmware update to 4.1.2 instead of leaving us hanging. Im sick of them saying " try disabling s voice..s search options.. factory reset" WE HAVE TRIED THAT AND IS STILL DOESN'T WORK PROPERLEY.(listen to your customers!!!) I was late for work this morning because my alarm didn't go off, another thing to add to the growing list of problems with the bad firmware.

Unfortunely it's nothing vodafone can do its slightly out of their hands,alot of other people in different regions are having the same problem with update...read that samsung are blaming android, also a rumour there going to try and push out 4.4kit kat asap......I doubt it's going to be solved anytime soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

I would consider the "service degradation" piece to be applicable here and thus entitle us to compensation. .....
    http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/code/custcare/enquiries/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭muddle84

https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Samsung/Android-4-3-now-available-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-via-Kies/td-p/133270

Judging by "daz" post in this thread, Vodafone are wiping there hands of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Shadow78

Rang Samsung on call +44 (0)1932 454358
    They said they would send a prepaid jiffybag for phone collection to bring it to a repair centre to get an engineer to look at it. Not sure if they would try and revert the phone back to 4.2.

Didn't take them up on the offer as yet. I would need a replacement phone to tide me over so a bit reluctant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Glad (in a way) to see that it's not just me having these problems, as there's a chance we might ultimately get a fix, but it's pretty horrid to see a decent device take a massive step backwards (same thing happened to my S2).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

AndyP wrote: »
    I would consider the "service degradation" piece to be applicable here and thus entitle us to compensation. .....
    http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/code/custcare/enquiries/

Thats what I mean lads, don't let Vodafone sit back and do this to ye, when the contract was signed it must be upheld on BOTH ends, they are obviously not doing this so enforce it!

No way they should have rolled this out without being tested and don't sit back and just complain about it, cancel and move, its the only way to get to them

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

It's not Vodafone's fault tbh. It boils down to a bad Samsung update.

I updated with the BTU 4.3 update and have all same problems outlined above.

Still very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

aoshea83 wrote: »

Still very frustrating.

It may not be VF's fault directly but they do have a duty of care. It was their network that was used to deliver the update, its only on VF (no other IE service provider), they (presumably) gave the go ahead to release it.
    If I get bad petrol in a petrol station I deal with the garage owner - not the manufacturer.
    If I have a problem with my Samsung television I deal with the retailer whom I bought it from - even if its a firmware issue - I don't deal with Samsung.
    If I have a problem with the firmware on my phone, I deal with the service provider, not the programmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Had to resort to a custom rom last night, the thing that was putting me off was when I used to use them on my old phone I didn't like the way the contacts wouldn't sync with Facebook. I found a great app called haxsync for a euro thatgets around this. Only thing I miss now is the Samsung planner. Phone is like lightening now, none of that choppy carry on when using Spotify this morning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

aoshea83 wrote: »

Still very frustrating.

Bad update or not Vodafone must give to go ahead to release the update on it's network as the roms are customized to each provider. That's why the other providers in Ireland aren't releasing it.

It should have been tested by Samsung and Vodafone, it wasn't and it's crippled hundred of handsets.

Now the question is what the hell are they going to do about it! An official statement from Vodafone would be a start.

Advertisement