Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JellyBean Galaxy s3 today vodafone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Had to resort to a custom rom last night

Any chance you could give us a pointer on how to do this? I read some warnings at the weekend about incompatible firmware.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Guys, I have 2 S3's here in the office and both suffered from the update. However I have cleared the cache on mine and it has made it far better, maybe a few of you can try it out and port the results??

1: Power off phone
    2: Hold Volume UP + Home + Power all at the same time until the phone powers up into recovery mode.
    3: Use volume UP or Down to scroll down to Clear Cache and use power to select
    4: Choose reboot and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Any chance you could give us a pointer on how to do this? I read some warnings at the weekend about incompatible firmware.
    There is a windows installer which basically does everything for you, only thing you have to do is back up your media etc and charge your battery prior to install.
    http://www.androidpit.com/cyanogenmod-installer-a-simple-solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I'm having the same problems as everyone else and I'm having problems charging it as we speak. I am in contract to Vodafone for another year and a half with this stupid phone. I would love to know how I'm meant to get by with an unusable phone for another year and a half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Guys, I have 2 S3's here in the office and both suffered from the update. However I have cleared the cache on mine and it has made it far better, maybe a few of you can try it out and port the results??

2: Hold Volume UP + Home + Power all at the same time until the phone powers up into recovery mode.

Seems to have a difference to the wake up all right, fair play ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Seamus B

Will i loose all my media, pics, ect?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Seamus B wrote: »
    Will i loose all my media, pics, ect?

If you mean doing the clear of the cache then no yu wont lose anything.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I was on to Samsung again this morning and was told that the engineers are working on a fix but no indication as to when it will be ready. It really is a shocking situation - mine is actually getting worse, sometimes now if a call is coming in the screen remains black and the ringtone is all garbled so I can't even answer the bloody call!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Thanks for posting this Jonny. It's improved things for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gerrykeegan

Under option 3 I have "wipe cache partition" or "apply update from cache". I dont have clear cache as you said. Am I missing your option or is clear cache partion the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Wipe Cache Partition

Wipe cache partition, my apologies.

I believe this update slowed the phone down due to the size of the original install file, it was close to 1gig from what I remember so thats stored in cache memory mainly and causing the lag.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The guy in Samsung told me this morning it was due to the update being suited to the S4 and that the S3 couldn't cope with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

The guy in Samsung told me this morning it was due to the update being suited to the S4 and that the S3 couldn't cope with it!

Most likely because of their crappy touchwiz!
    If it was stock android it'd be fine as anyone can see if they run a custom rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Wipe cache partition, my apologies.

I believe this update slowed the phone down due to the size of the original install file, it was close to 1gig from what I remember so thats stored in cache memory mainly and causing the lag.

Wiped cache partition... thought there was an improvement for a while but then after about an hour popped my phone out of my pocket in the lift to send a text, it took 20s to unlock.
    It's weird because it's intermittent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

How does it perform if you disable the lock screen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

kiffer wrote: »
    Wiped cache partition... thought there was an improvement for a while but then after about an hour popped my phone out of my pocket in the lift to send a text, it took 20s to unlock.

Same here. I disabled some apps (S-Voice, S-Suggest, Samsung Apps, pagebuddy, Vodafone discover and vodafone updates) a few days ago and that gave a big improvement. Still can be slow to start from the lock screen maybe one time in five (instead of five from five). Also I stopped using Play Music to listen to music and instead moved to "Music". That isn't nearly as jumpy and jerky on playback as Play Music is.

Still boils down to Vodafone and Samsung need to fix the issue and need to do it very quickly. As it stands I am uncertain about either of them come the next renewal of my contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, I've an s4 and I'm definitely not upgrading when it comes out. One thing I've learned about phone firmware upgrades, if your phone is working fine and you're happy with it, don't upgrade! It's never worth it

Cienciano wrote: »
    Well, I've an s4 and I'm definitely not upgrading when it comes out. One thing I've learned about phone firmware upgrades, if your phone is working fine and you're happy with it, don't upgrade! It's never worth it

I have the S4 with the update and its perfectly fine. Only thing i notice now is KNOX messages thats all. No lag or anything on it.

kiffer wrote: »

Ill look into it a bit more later and see if there is anything else as I havent had much time this week to try much so if I find anything Ill post it here. Altho i notice that to get the phone to respond immediatly each time i hold the home button in for a split second and then release it and its fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

On your Samsung Galaxy S3 go to Settings > MyDevice (2nd option from the bottom) and disable these features. 

Screen lag has improved alot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Was just in with Vodafone there and the guy gave me a number to contact Samsung with. Apparently Samsung have recalled the update. I dont know what they do when you call them

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sir V Tec

This update is ridiculous. My alarm clock isn't even reliable since I installed it. Woke up 20 mins after my alarm was supposed to go off at 6am and the screen took nearly a minute to come on. The time was showing 1:55am and didn't update for 5 seconds. Is there any sign of this getting resolved? The phone i once thought was excellent is a paperweight at this stage.

Just going to install cyanogenmod at this stage, its been two weeks now....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone want to post their experiences of loading an alternative rom? Like how it compares to what you have before the upfrade. Do all apps etc work

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone want to post their experiences of loading an alternative rom? Like how it compares to what you have before the upfrade. Do all apps etc work

Im on HD Revolution 32.0 right now. Its stock but cleaned down. Memory tweaks and stuff. Rock solid and pretty damn fast most of the time. Only issue I have is screenshots sometimes get stuck saving, but that happened with stock too.

Cant find the 29/32 thread, but it seems Mike's done a 4.3 variant now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1797334 HD revolution 40. I'll probably flash that when I have a quiet evening.

If you dont already, use Titanium Backup to seamlessly transition between roms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Sir V Tec wrote: »
    This update is ridiculous. My alarm clock isn't even reliable since I installed it. Woke up 20 mins after my alarm was supposed to go off at 6am and the screen took nearly a minute to come on. The time was showing 1:55am and didn't update for 5 seconds. Is there any sign of this getting resolved? The phone i once thought was excellent is a paperweight at this stage.

I dont think it will be resolved any time soon. Vodafone have washed their hands of it and are not taking any responsibility. Samsung would prefer to spend their time on the KitKat rollout for their newer phones and dont seem too fussed about the S3 users. Their preferred solution is if you would move on to the S4.

Personally both Vodafone and Samsung are gone from my life as soon as my contract is up.

ED E wrote: »
    Im on HD Revolution 32.0 right now. Its stock but cleaned down. Memory tweaks and stuff. Rock solid and pretty damn fast most of the time. Only issue I have is screenshots sometimes get stuck saving, but that happened with stock too.

Cant find the 29/32 thread, but it seems Mike's done a 4.3 variant now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1797334 HD revolution 40. I'll probably flash that when I have a quiet evening.

If you dont already, use Titanium Backup to seamlessly transition between roms.

Install Cymod this morning, very straight forward install via android app/windows very smooth however after coming from the last jellybean update i'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

been on cyanmodgen for the past week after the 4.3 mess .. did the update before the new installer ..not a problem since, very happy I went this route .. found a nice theme as well .. called "Circle" from the play store...

but miss the calendar

• Advertisement

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    been on cyanmodgen for the past week after the 4.3 mess .. did the update before the new installer ..not a problem since, very happy I went this route .. found a nice theme as well .. called "Circle" from the play store...

but miss the calendar

Anyway of getting notifications to show instead by default of the toggle switchs on swipe down?

Advertisement