Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JellyBean Galaxy s3 today vodafone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Installing Cyanogenmod via installer also roots your phone in process.. Oh adblock how I missed you

I had a hard job installing it but it's on now :). I had to uninstall AVG, reinstall the USB driver on the Windows 7 PC and enable debug mode on the phone before it worked.

I'm so glad to be rid of that crap Samsung update.

The only thing I miss is the weather widget. I downloaded the AccuWeather one but it has an advertisement on it. Will have to find another.

Thanks for recommending Cyanogenmod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Mad Benny wrote: »
    I had a hard job installing it but it's on now :). I had to uninstall AVG, reinstall the USB driver on the Windows 7 PC and enable debug mode on the phone before it worked.

I'm so glad to be rid of that crap Samsung update.

The only thing I miss is the weather widget. I downloaded the AccuWeather one but it has an advertisement on it. Will have to find another.

Thanks for recommending Cyanogenmod.

Ok, so I've JUST rooted my galaxy s3 and am looking to install a custom rom, how do I go about doing this, where do I get the cyanogenmod file from and is it just a drag and drop .apk job or is it more complex???

Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

Newstalk are having a "gadget of the year" awards. They are looking for nominations. They are also looking for nominations on the WORST gadget of the year.

I suggest we all nominate the "Samsung Galaxy S3 following Jelly-Bean Upgrade". The only thing companies like Samsung understand is bad publicity.

To do so e-mail ghtech@newstalk.ie or tweet #ghtech

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

There wasn't any need to root it yourself, download the cyanogenmod app on the appstore and go from there.
    Ok, so I've JUST rooted my galaxy s3 and am looking to install a custom rom, how do I go about doing this, where do I get the cyanogenmod file from and is it just a drag and drop .apk job or is it more complex???

Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

touts wrote: »
    Newstalk are having a "gadget of the year" awards. They are looking for nominations. They are also looking for nominations on the WORST gadget of the year.

I suggest we all nominate the "Samsung Galaxy S3 following Jelly-Bean Upgrade". The only thing companies like Samsung understand is bad publicity.

To do so e-mail ghtech@newstalk.ie or tweet #ghtech

To be fair it's not just Samsung on this Vodafone are partially to blame also. They vet the firmware and add whatever else to it, so it's not jsut 100% samsungs fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Any sign of Vodafone fixing this or letting us downgrade again.. Paying 40 a month for this phone and its barely working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

OriginV wrote: »
    Any sign of Vodafone fixing this or letting us downgrade again.. Paying 40 a month for this phone and its barely working

waiting for a fix myself......cant believe Samsung released this upgrade........

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Guys, I have 2 S3's here in the office and both suffered from the update. However I have cleared the cache on mine and it has made it far better, maybe a few of you can try it out and port the results??

1: Power off phone
    2: Hold Volume UP + Home + Power all at the same time until the phone powers up into recovery mode.
    3: Use volume UP or Down to scroll down to Clear Cache and use power to select
    4: Choose reboot and see how you get on.

Seems to make a difference..........................for now :rolleyes:

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Has anyone that changed to cyanogenmod after this mess found that people find it harder to hear them on calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

I had to install Revolution HD 40.0 (4.3) with G-Lite kernal to fix my phone.

Battery life has jumped up exponentially.

I suggest everyone who is able, to do so.

XDA Forum Link for Android Revolution HD 40.0 (4.3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

There wasn't any need to root it yourself, download the cyanogenmod app on the appstore and go from there.

Hi, any chance you could put up a link to that app please? :-)

Newbie here & couldn't find it!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Cm app has been removed from the play store.
    keredern wrote: »
    Hi, any chance you could put up a link to that app please? :-)

Newbie here & couldn't find it!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

elderlemon wrote: »

Ah! Don't feel quite so foolish now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

elderlemon wrote: »
    You can still get it here: Link

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭chelseaaremagic

i'm with o2 andi got offered the'upgrade' this morning which i installed----what a disaster battery seems to have evaporated;it kept freezing ;had to remove battery 3 times;then i noticed it was in 'in flight' mode which i switched off ;it improved;my saved numbers have practically halved--so i'm real p#ssed at the moment.sorry i didnt find this forum earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Why would o2 release this update with all the trouble thats going on?

Zipppy wrote: »
    Seems to make a difference..........................for now :rolleyes:

Cheers

24hrs on this I still a huge improvement..........you should deffo do this

Still waiting for fix though

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭paddy_joe

Any idea on when there will be an update?
    Is it easy enough to change to cyanogen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

paddy_joe wrote: »

Very very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Kalyke

And can you revert back when the new update is available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

paddy_joe wrote: »
    Any idea on when there will be an update?

It seems that Samsung have released what they claim is a fixed firmware on other networks, though it's possible it won't hit Vodafone until it beds in elsewhere - typical knee-jerk reaction of withholding it in case it exacerbates the problem, even though it sounds like the only way that would happen would be if it actually bricked the phone! Details here anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had the freezing problem but unrelated to Vodafone, had tried Cyanogenmod but still froze. eventually used Mobile Odin to root the S3 and installed the international 4.3 version and running like a charm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Seems VF are offering some people a months free rental as compensation

Anyone else get a similar offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Just sent them an email! Paying near 40 a month for a phone that has not been working right is madness!

Zipppy wrote: »

That article would be far more convincing if they didn't basically admit they pulled the whole thing out of their arse "it is highly unlikely that Samsung engineers have been sitting idle all this time. Though we have no concrete sources to confirm this claim, a speculation from our side".

If the author of the piece had gotten out on the other side of the bed or if he had been handed de-caf instead of regular at the coffee shop he could just as well have written that there will be no update before the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Poster on VF Community forum got this reply from Samsung:

Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

I am sorry to hear about the issues that you are having with your Smasung Galaxy S3. I realise that this can be frustrating as you cannot operate your device successfully.

We are aware that customers have been affected by the 4.3 update, however we have released a new update to fix any errors that have been caused. Although you have not recieved any possible updates yet is because the network providers are checking it out and putting their own brand and software on the update also. Therefore the update should be available to you in due course.

I hope this helps!

If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

Our Customer Support Team love feedback! Share your thoughts on this response by completing the survey at the bottom of this page.

Kind regards,

Aaron
    Online Support Team
    SAMSUNG Customer Support Centre

(My emphasis in bold)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just tried to to see if there was an update via settings on the phone and today I'm getting the following:

"The software update service is not available. Maximum number of roll-out updates has been exceed. Try later or update your device using Samsung Kies"

Don't have a usb in work so will have to wait till I get home. Haven't got this error before, usually just says all updates installed.

Anybody else getting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

pippip wrote: »
    Just tried to to see if there was an update via settings on the phone and today I'm getting the following:

"The software update service is not available. Maximum number of roll-out updates has been exceed. Try later or update your device using Samsung Kies"

Don't have a usb in work so will have to wait till I get home. Haven't got this error before, usually just says all updates installed.

Anybody else getting this?

I got the same message. I tried Kies, it is stating I have the latest updates :-(

• Advertisement

Just got an OTA system update. Installing it now.....

Advertisement