Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JellyBean Galaxy s3 today vodafone

Options
  • 04-11-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.3 started today, first region to get it is Ireland (VDI).

Ireland to get something first is a first.

Got info from SAMSUNGUPDATES site

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Downloading now, 444mb

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

Can anyone confirm if it has the drama shot setting for the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

is it just vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS IN ANDROID 4.3 UPDATE
    - GALAXY GEAR Support
    - TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
    - ANT+ Support
    - Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
    - New Samsung Keyboard
    - GPU drivers have been updated (Higher GPU benchmark scores)
    - New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
    - New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
    - Daydream
    - Driving mode
    - Actionable notifications
    - Move-to-SD-card feature
    - New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
    - New Additions in Notification Centre
    - Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the Galaxy S4)
    - Implementation of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
    - New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
    - Full screen Samsung apps
    - New S-Voice (from Galaxy S4

from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

Can anyone confirm if it has the drama shot setting for the camera?

Can't see it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

Downloaded the S3 4.3 ROM and no sign of the drama shot. This was the one feature that I was hoping would be there. Bugger! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I'm having problems since update, also did a clean factory reset, after awhile i cant turn on the screen only way is to hold powerbutton for it to reboot

I'm having similar problems ...have had to remove the battery a few times to reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    is it just vodafone?

Was going to ask the same.... any meteor?

Vodafone Ireland s3 are the first to receive jellybean update...

• Advertisement

I downloaded it and installed it from the link above .. i'm with emobile ... is the ANT+ supposed to work on the S3 now? how do I check it?

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    I'm having similar problems ...have had to remove the battery a few times to reboot

After having a quick look on xda it would seem alot of people are having same issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

It's VERY slow to start up when the screen has gone off. Wifi seems significantly slower and more prone to dropping a signal. The look of the UI seems less slick and refined than the previous version. Other than that there seem to be a few cosmetic changes to messaging etc.

Overall I have to wonder why they bothered with this "upgrade" unless the intention was to make the S3 seem older and more glitchy and make people think about upgrading to the S4. I was very happy with the S3 but I'm not happy today.

Ok I've been using this all day and I'm still very disappointed with this new upgrade. it can take 20sec for the screen to come on. Playing back podcasts or music seems to get jerky at times. Cant see any significant improvements. Texts and alarms display on the lock screen but I would trade those for a better performance. I've seen some people recommending a full factory reset but to be honest I dont have the time to spend wiping the phone and rebuliding all my apps widgets folders etc. I might do it at the weekend.

My advice is do not install the update and wait for samsung to issue a fixed version. I wish I had done that. If they dont issue a fix you are better off on the older version of Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

touts wrote: »
    It's VERY slow to start up when the screen has gone off.
    touts wrote: »
    it can take 20sec for the screen to come on

Just came on to say this. It's the first thing I noticed straight away and thought maybe it was just my phone. Wish I'd held out for the fixed version.

Just came on to say this. It's the first thing I noticed straight away and thought maybe it was just my phone. Wish I'd held out for the fixed version.

My 2 cent I did a factory reset and didn't make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Did you guys download a leaked rom?

Nope I installed on a via official Vodafone fw. Vodafone Ireland were there first to release s3 jellybean. Which I wish they weren't knew it was to good to be true.

Nope. I downloaded the official update and have never used any unofficial roms on my phone. This morning I had to take the battery out to get the bloody thing to switch off.

Oh and I noticed it eats battery life. 99% after I managed to switch it on this morning. An hour later when I got to work 86% with no phonecalls, internet etc. Just in stand by, screen off the whole lot. It might have connected to bluetooth while in the car but that always happens and normally I would have no less than 95% when I got to work. I had noticed the battery was down to 8% when I plugged it in last night but just assumed that was normal. If it uses 14% battery just for an hour of no calls etc then we'll be lucky to get a day out of it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to undo a Firmware upgrade. I really want to go back to the old system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yes you guys need to get on to sammobile.com and download an Older official firmware from it.

Flash the firmware via odin.

If you're unsure, use Google.

• Advertisement

yeah .. its a bit of a nightmare . .I have changed the lockscreen ripple effect .. that has improved the wake up time .. but the battery is rubbish and already this morning I have had to take the battery out ... think I will go back to the old version tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Ah Here

any sign of it for 02 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ah Here wrote: »
    any sign of it for 02 yet?

Dont bother, its junk.

OK. After my phone completely froze twice yesterday (including once during an important business call) I decided to do a full factory reset last night. Between the reset and then signing into all the apps and setting up the shortcuts on my homepage etc it took about 2 hours (and there are still some things I've not set up). End result is it seems to be running a little better but not as well as it was before the upgrade. Battery life is still rubbish. There must be something running in the background but I haven't worked out what. It now takes 4-5 seconds for the screen to come on as opposed to 20+ seconds.

Overall I would highly recommend people do not download this upgrade no matter what network you are on until it is clear that the upgrade is bug free. There is absolutely nothing in it worth the significant drop in performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Must be Samsung/Vodafone bloat ware. I have vanilla 4.3 on my sgs2 and it's fast, no battery drain or boot lag..

Now that ye'r phones are goosed anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of custom ROMs.

Gokei wrote: »
    Must be Samsung/Vodafone bloat ware. I have vanilla 4.3 on my sgs2 and it's fast, no battery drain or boot lag..

Based on that suggestion I looked again at what was running. S-Voice was one of the biggest running parts. I never use it so I disabled it and sure enough the phone is working much better. Not perfect but much better. I'd still recommend anyone who has not yet installed the update to avoid it until there is an official fix but anyone who is having trouble should try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gokei wrote: »

Now that ye'r phones are goosed anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of custom ROMs.

Its not, its same on the official Sammy release. The's something very broken in the release they sent to networks and are now pushing to unbranded devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

ED E wrote: »
    Its not, its same on the official Sammy release. The's something very broken in the release they sent to networks and are now pushing to unbranded devices.

Samsung bloat ware as I said. Better to go for the vanilla 4.3. Though if you wait a few weeks there'll be stable vanilla 4.4 ROMs for your sgs3

I must have been lucky, I've had none of the issues mentioned. Working the same as it ever did just with the few extras

• Advertisement

OK. Here is my latest (and probably final) update on this issue. As I mentioned yesterday I disabled S-Voice and saw an immediate improvement. I also disabled Vodafone updates. The phone is now much faster to start up. This morning my one hour commute to work only dropped the battery to 95% instead of 84%. Playback on music and podcasts is much better but still stutters at times. I think that is related to the wifi. The phone seems much slower to connect to a wifi-signal and struggles to hold onto the signal at times. When it is connecting things seem to slow right down and the playback of audio becomes stuttery. I installed Facebook app (which has always been troublesome on some S3s) last night and the whole thing slowed right down again so that was immediately taken off.

So IF you have upgraded and find yourself in trouble with the phone.
    1. Backup your phone
    2. Do a factory reset
    3. Do a restore of apps etc
    4. Disable S-Voice (go into settings, Applications to do this).
    5. Reboot the Phone.

If you have not yet upgraded my advice is still don't. Its not worth the hassle.

Advertisement