Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Companies should not be allowed cite "shipped numbers" as it deliberately misleads those who aren't listening closely. The Fox News of numbers.

They do it all the time to be honest and as said it's the only value they can quote accurately. The only sales figures they get are from NPD which are inaccurate since they ignore a lot of retailers and online retailers. Sony with their sold through figures are only estimating as well. Since there's a high demand they are equating shipped = sold through which to be fair would be fairly accurate if there is a stock problem (although there's probably only a stock problem with big online stores and built up urban areas).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

This post was shipped to 500,000 boards.ie users

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Was there any info posted about it at all? Cod always loves to shout out on how much copies they sold in first few days.
    Not that I can see.
    Of course they will but for the moment its the best game on console for the moment.BF4 is broken beyond repair at the moment and Ghosts is just COD,nothing new or inventive.Titanfall is an amazing game and probably the best and fun fps ive played in years but come November you right,there probably wont be as many playing but thats just down to other games being released around that time.COD is always the highest selling game in that period,but it damn sure doesn't mean its better than any other game.

Why would you want player stats brought back.It just brings out the retardness out in people.At least in Titanfall every player you meet is potentially a great player up until you play against them.

Haven't they fixed BF4 yet ? I've not played it but i've friends that do and have said its fine now.

Sorry, by player stats, im talking about player numbers etc. CoD used or (Maybe it still does ?) show how many people are online, as do steam games and the BF games. Its just a great stat to show how much staying power a game has as you can track it over a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Xbox one hasn't sold 5 million units, it has shipped 5 million but only about 4.3 million have been sold.

That's about 2.8 million (65% of xbox one total sales) less than the PS4 in 5 months. That is quite worrying seeing as the two consoles were equally matched last generation.

4.3 million is still very respectable but Microsoft needs to do something if it wants to be main console this generation.

It has sold 5 million units.

Shipped means sold in to the retailer. Which is a sale for Microsoft. Retailers have buying managers that have to forecast the stock they'll need and make purchases from suppliers such as Microsoft. They do not tend to fill buildings full of unwanted stock.

Of course Microsoft are quoting numbers shipped when they are the underdog. I'd expect Sony to do the exact same if they were in those shoes.
    The important thing to remember is a console generation is a grueling marathon ran over many years. It's not a sprint that is won in a few months.

PS4 has the well earned top sales spot, but now they have to keep it over the next few years.

*nice mention to Microsoft for refunding us (XB1 gamers) for Battlefield Premium and letting us keep premium. I thought that was nice of them. Have PS4 users had any luck with Sony?
    Over the weekend 8 of us here on boards contacted MS support and asked for a refund due to Dice's issues because we bought it via Xbox. If you have BF4 and premium on PS4 or XB1 contact support and ask for a refund due Battlefields cross platform problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Any chance of people moving on from the shipped/sold figures debate thingymajig. It's a tad dull.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

That's about 2.8 million (65% of xbox one total sales) less than the PS4 in 5 months. That is quite worrying seeing as the two consoles were equally matched last generation.

4.3 million is still very respectable but Microsoft needs to do something if it wants to be main console this generation.

Remind me again how many territories is PS4 in again, is it 40?

How many territories is XB1 in 13 or 14 or so ???

Seems to be Microsoft are more than keep up with Sony even though Sony are in more than 50% more territories.

Magill wrote: »
    Haven't they fixed BF4 yet ? I've not played it but i've friends that do and have said its fine now.

Still horribly broken. In fact Microsoft have been issuing refunds on BF4 premium and digital copies for a while now. Something unfortunately Sony didnt copy as it would only serve to ensure a repeat performance would happen again any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

miju wrote: »
    Still horribly broken. In fact Microsoft have been issuing refunds on BF4 premium and digital copies for a while now. Something unfortunately Sony didnt copy as it would only serve to ensure a repeat performance would happen again any time soon.
    You could also argue that Sony's stock is spread a lot thinner than MS because of that, so with less stock, the PS4 is still outselling the X1 in every territory.

This years fifa is utter ****e but if it had Titans id be all over it next year

Could be a great gam emode for Titanfall 2 - Titanball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    You could also argue that Sony's stock is spread a lot thinner than MS because of that, so with less stock, the PS4 is still outselling the X1 in every territory.

ms selling in 13 territory's , sony selling in how many is it now ? 72?
    I have both but some common sense as to why sonys stock is spread so thin is due too the fact their selling in 5times more territorys then ms

• Advertisement

_Redzer_ wrote: »

no that logic doesnt make much sense really as it's theory based. On otherhand mathematically if you were to scale up MS sales to another 27 territories they would have sold more than Sony but either way thats irrelevant.

The point I'm making that given the LARGE difference in the amount of territories each console is in I wouldn't be so quick to call the "war" over or a failure for either console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    ms selling in 13 territory's , sony selling in how many is it now ? 72?
    I have both but some common sense as to why sonys stock is spread so thin is due too the fact their selling in 5times more territorys then ms

Which is my point. MS have more stock in their territories than Sony, yet are being outsold in all of them. They're also selling in the biggest and most viable gaming markets and it doesn't seem to be making a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

no that logic doesnt make much sense really as it's theory based. On otherhand mathematically if you were to scale up MS sales to another 27 territories they would have sold more than Sony but either way thats irrelevant.

Wouldn't even make sense to do as it's already released in its largest selling markets. Probably why they released to those markets first.
    The point I'm making that given the LARGE difference in the amount of territories each console is in I wouldn't be so quick to call the "war" over or a failure for either console.

I agree, way to early to be making statements like "X1 is dead lol!". Both consoles need to step up their game and release a good few more good games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

It also assumes that all territories are the same, which they are not. MS reach the majority of customers by choosing big territories (US, UK, etc) while ignoring smaller territories (Iceland, estonia etc).

sarumite wrote: »
    It also assumes that all territories are the same, which they are not. MS reach the majority of customers by choosing big territories (US, UK, etc) while ignoring smaller territories (Iceland, estonia etc).

The XB1 will be released this September in the following countries,

Argentina
    Belgium
    Chile
    Colombia
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Finland
    Greece
    Hungary

India
    Israel
    Japan
    Korea
    Netherlands
    Norway
    Poland
    Portugal
    Russia

Saudi Arabia
    Singapore
    Slovakia
    South Africa
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Turkey
    UAE

:s Huh ? Sony have sold more in every region they're both competing ? How would the Xbox being available in countries that traditionally they have done poorly in put them ahead ? Thats just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I highly doubt anyone does, but does anyone know the difference in the number of populace between the territories the Xbox and the PS4 are available in, as in the maximum number each console could sell in its available territories, I am not gonna go Wiki every countries population :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Also untrue.

Considering that the PS4 has sold more in every common market.

Long gone are the days when we'd argue the merits of each console by the games that could be played on them.

Nowadays people want to win a stats war.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Xenji wrote: »
    I highly doubt anyone does, but does anyone know the difference in the number of populace between the territories the Xbox and the PS4 are available in, as in the maximum number each console could sell in its available territories, I am not gonna go Wiki every countries population :pac:

Bit more to it than population, Russia huge but I doubt they'll be buying much. Going by Sony they've only sold 700k to the "rest of the world" compared to MS and 400k, and the rest of the world being anywhere outside North America and Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_distribution_of_wealth

• Advertisement

Long gone are the days when we'd argue the merits of each console by the games that could be played on them.

Its cause for the most part... they both have nothing but garbage available at the moment. Give it a year or two and it'll be "Uncharted 5 sucks, Halo 7 Ftw".

I prefer to judge a console on the merits of the hardware. I thought the original PS3 was awesome and was upset that it died. I thought the Dreamcast was awesome and was sad it died. I thought the Atari Jaguar was awesome and was distraught that it died.

I should just stop liking consoles tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I prefer to judge a console on the merits of the hardware. I thought the original PS3 was awesome and was upset that it died. I thought the Dreamcast was awesome and was sad it died. I thought the Atari Jaguar was awesome and was distraught that it died.

I should just stop liking consoles tbh.

It is awesome, and its far from dead :confused:

I love my xbox one, and being honest, I'd have no problem in picking up a ps4 down the line when there are more games out for it, whats there at the minute just doesnt do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

I love my xbox one, and being honest, I'd have no problem in picking up a ps4 down the line when there are more games out for it, whats there at the minute just doesnt do it for me.

Snap. I'll pick a PS4 up eventually, if this Last of Us remastered coming out in June has any truth to it - that'll probably make me buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

maximoose wrote: »
    Snap. I'll pick a PS4 up eventually, if this Last of Us remastered coming out in June has any truth to it - that'll probably make me buy.

It was announced a couple of weeks ago on the Playstation blog. I don't know if they gave a final date but it's on like Genghis Khan.

maximoose wrote: »

Its true alright, And thats a game that I'd really love to try. I'm in no rush though, maybe in 6 months time or so would do me grand.

We are seeing a bit of a trend with remastered games, Tomb Raider, The Last Of Us and now supposedly The Walking Dead.

Xenji wrote: »
    We are seeing a bit of a trend with remastered games, Tomb Raider, The Last Of Us and now supposedly The Walking Dead.

The walking dead? I dunno what they'd do there, that has its own art style that doesnt really need updating. But if the whole thing was just made playable on the one and available for a tenner, yeah , I'd bite.

Personally I'm all for it, as long as it doesn't stifle the development of existing titles, it gives people a chance to play classics they might have missed first time round.

At least we can all look forward to Dragon Age : Inquisition on the 8th of October.

• Advertisement

It is awesome, and its far from dead :confused:

PS2 backwards compatibility, extra card readers and UBS ports, the little panel that opened up, the trayless disc tray, the deadswitch at the back, the strange bubble design and the simplicity of taking it apart and putting it back together again. All gone :(
    I'm really not a fan of what you can buy new now:
    ps3_us_4.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement