Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Why is both not an option? Or am I just the rich bitch with the two of them.

i really see no point in having both of them right now. Maybe in a year or so when there's a few exclusives on each that are worth getting but right now theyre both very similar. One of them would be enough right now Imo if your goin to go to a new console. That said if you can afford both and want both sure why the hell not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

i really see no point in having both of them right now. Maybe in a year or so when there's a few exclusives on each that are worth getting but right now theyre both very similar. One of them would be enough right now Imo if your goin to go to a new console. That said if you can afford both and want both sure why the hell not.

So I can make them knife fight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

So I can make them knife fight

Now there's a console war I'd like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The big killing blow for me is the Microsoft behind it all. I mean, I have Windows 8 everything, short of the bloody windows phone (Between RT and WP8, Microsoft hasn't been living up to the hype of building a successful app market yet). It doesn't make sense for me to even consider a PS4, not that I plan on buying an XB1 while I'm assuming $40k in student loans over the next 2 years. It would be like telling a Mac User with their fancy iPad iPhone iMac and MBP and Time Machine to go buy a Roku.

All my gaming however is all PC. Xbox One is earmarked for whenever I get the chance to settle down and splurge money on a Home Theater environment. Thats a long way off. Roommate has the XB1 though I have no complaints playing his Titanfall for free.

On a sidenote Smartglass is super neat and all but again, it's an under-appreciated app and few games make any good use of it.

Real life console war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I wonder what a new poll would say now given that a lot of votes were placed before MS's U-turn on just about everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I wonder what a new poll would say now given that a lot of votes were placed before MS's U-turn on just about everything.
    The poll was made right before the console came out in November. MS had made all those U-turns months and months previously in the summer.

I don't think it'd pan out much differently tbh considering nothing has changed since then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The poll should have included an atari jaguar option.

Edit: Now it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The poll should have included an atari jaguar option.

Edit: Now it does.

Well that was just stupid, if you should've added anything it'd be a 'both' option at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar option. Original.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Atari Jaguar option. Original.

Originality is mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    While this thread is a great catch'em all location for fans of certain consoles, hasn't it gone far enough?
    Move them on I say, this Hamsterdam approach just isn't working, sure the other corners are clear but too many trolls fans in one place, I don't know if the internet can take it!

This thread is awesome and should be here. It works perfectly and does what it needs to:

Informs us about any information of both consoles without needing to go to console forums.
    Gives us place to talk about both parties. If smart, with no polarities.
    Filters out fanboys and contains them on one thread instead off spreading them all over the boards.

Great thread and survived so long with minor incidents. I am proud of boards.ie community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

This thread is awesome and should be here. It works perfectly and does what it needs to:

Informs us about any information of both consoles without needing to go to console forums.
    Filters out fanboys and contains them on one thread instead off spreading them all over the boards.

Great thread and survived so long with minor incidents. I am proud of boards.ie community.
    +1 this thread is the only one going where you dare speak anything negative about either console you dont get shouted down with fanboy ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just out of curiosity, are all polls as easy to be dicked about with by mods? I always would have had a certain amount of faith in them as a barometer of what they people on the forum thought but if they can be changed just like that, I won't anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Just out of curiosity, are all polls as easy to be dicked about with by mods? I always would have had a certain amount of faith in them as a barometer of what they people on the forum thought but if they can be changed just like that, I won't anymore...

I was an admin on a gaming site forum , something similar to boards but not as big as boards
    YES ITS VERY EASY TOO DICK ABOUT WITH THEM :pac: but like anything else, most polls won't be touched by mods or admins I'd say , other wise the poll wouldnt mean anything just people messing about with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just don't trust any poll you can't see the voters names

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes it is easy to change, however be safe in the knowledge that polls like this are so meaningless that I really couldn't be bothered to change them.

Unless someone forgets the Atari jaguar option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In an unapologetic travesty of democracy, fairness and authority, I have added a single, solitary vote to one of the options, thus fatally undermining the integrity of the polling system and making everyone who reads this distrustful of online forum moderators for now and forever more.

Or have I? The answer is no.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm not happy.
    Where's the 3DO poll option.
    At least then folk would be able to vote for a decent system!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, now I was just joking!
    And I think it's as polarised as hell, at least some posts suggest as much.
    But most are balanced and it's always interesting to hear people with differing points of view.
    I do think the mods have their work cut out for themselves though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Having finally played titanfall on my dusty xbone, I can say.... its pretty good. Course the fact it has no single player at all slays it for me. But if you like this sort of thing, its great I'm sure.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I do think the mods have their work cut out for themselves though.

I sometimes light them a candle if I'm passing a church.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Having finally played titanfall on my dusty xbone, I can say.... its pretty good. Course the fact it has no single player at all slays it for me. But if you like this sort of thing, its great I'm sure.

That's something that writes it off for me too.
    Even though I know their are many who find single player campaigns to be a waste of time and resources, I found Infinity Ward, iv Torrey original configuration, to be pretty good at it, COD4:MW being a prime example.
    Now the teams heart is making the likes of Titanfall I had some hopes, ah well.

Well this generation is well and truly finished now. PS4 has won now that Akibastrip 2 has been announced for release with updated graphics. For those not in the know its about a vampire hunter looking for vampires then fighting them. These vampires are hidden in the population and to out them just like in all vampire lore you have to strip them to expose them to the sun. Stay classy Japan:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/21/akibas-trip-undead-undressed-coming-playstation-4-upgraded-graphics/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I didn't realise till I read this that Titanfall contains no single player content at all. Definitely a deal breaker for me so not missing out on much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've thought MP only Titanfall was a great idea since it was announced, and this has been proven the more I spend time with the 360 version. Every mechanic and piece of game design has been tailor made for multiplayer gaming, and major revisions would have had to be made for single player. They absolutely made the right call going online only. The game's dynamic design would just not suit a scripted SP campaign anywhere near as well.

More developers should go with the one or the other route, rather than wasting resources on a half hearted box ticking exercise. Battlefield is not a better game or better value because its mediocre single player mode is there - if anything, it's a lesser game. And I don't need to list the pointless multiplayer modes out there. Great SP and MP is obviously an ideal, but few games are in a position to achieve that.

If you don't like multiplayer point blank, obviously Titanfall isn't going to be for you, but then its hardly reasonable to expect every game to be single player. But IMO Respawn made the ideal call, and released a great game that is refreshingly focused and tightly honed. Maybe its commercial success will allow them access to the talent and money to offer a strong SP component in the surely inevitable sequel. But Titanfall 1 is a great game, and all the better for focusing on its strengths.

I thought the Battlefield 4 single player was good. I'm definitely glad I gave it a go.

I like to get used to the handling of a game offline before I go online. When the game suits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

sp for games like cod/battlefield are quite bad, I only ever enjoyed mw4's story but these games were made to be played online
    don't get why some people say its a deal breaker for titianfall been multiplayer only
    its not like the story was ever going to be good anyway even if it was offline :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well I mean, if people really like a good multiplayer experience, then fair play :) I'm just much better at single player, much prefer it, multiplayer is a bonus :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement