Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

lertsnim wrote: »
    How quickly a thread can descend into ****.

"My dick is bigger than yours"

How big is your's??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Just build your self a PC for the same money and it will be far more powerful then the equivalent steam box. Steam Boxes are like iPhones imo.

Im looking at steambox purely to save space as small 3 bed house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Im looking at steambox purely to save space as small 3 bed house

There's some pretty good form-factor case solutions these days from all the big fish in that industry. You could essentially build your own steambox which is what a lot of people have done. You also might want to consider if you really want a steambox because although Linux is great and is possibly the future of PC gaming, it's not the present, there's a lot of games that won't run on it and only on Windows 7/8.

All you need to do is get a small case and buy the mini-versions of whatever MOBO, GPU etc that you want (Mini ITX)- and if you've made a very small PC you could always install wireless capability and get some decent wireless peripherals if you want a handy portable gaming rig.

Building your own PC or steambox will be cheaper than buying one pre-made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    It seems that the best combination is PC and PS4 for exclusives and overall experience.

I currently couldn't justify, or afford upgrading my PC to a decent spec, so for now PS4 is giving me everything I need at the minute. Can't wait to for the visually upgraded TLOU!

I might counter and suggest a PS4/WiiU combination will give you access to the greatest breadth of gaming awesomeness.
    The overlap in content between the PS4 and PC will be enormous.
    Unless it's for the opportunity to play the XB1 titles that may come on the PC as well, on which case just buy a XB1 as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With the indie scene taking off you'll probably get more exclusives on the PC as well as a better selection of free to play games. That and you'll save money in the long run since it's so much cheaper for software. It's a toss up between a PC and PS4 but for me the fact that the PC actually has a software library and does more beyond what a console does while there's nothing to entice me on the PS4 at the moment and it makes a lousy media player, if I had a choice I'd go PC. I have a PC already so for me it's waiting until the PS4 library can justify a purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've a €250 voucher to spend and I'm thinking of taking the plunge on a PS4. I don't see the price shifting until next year, unless MS blinks first. So while there are not many games I may as well buy now.

I've always had Nintendo or MS consoles usually bought well after release. I've never owned a PlayStation either and never really liked Sony hardware of any sort. I went C64 > SNES > N64 > PC master race and then picked up a 360 for feck all in Tesco a few years back. However the PS4 is an appealing gaming platform, while MS alienated me with their ill conceived launch.

I don't doubt the XBone is a fine machine I just don't trust anyone with that much hubris. Sony seem to have learned somewhat from their PS3 failings.

I have a PC that can handle everything I throw at it. It'll be due an upgrade in a year or two perhaps. (i7 920 @ 3.7GHz, GTX 760, 6GB ram and a Samsung SSD) I'd like to build a Steambox at some stage to get through the controller side of my backlog but I also want to see what I've been missing on the Sony side.

I guess I'm not alone in these sentiments, many people bought the PS3 is recent months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Even when the Xbox hits 1080p the PS4 goes higher :D
    The PS4 game offers up a 1920x1280 image vertically super-sampled down to 1080p, providing extra anti-aliasing in the process, while Xbox One operates natively in 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It would be nice if you could actually post a link to what you are talking about, quite a lot to ask i know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Davei141 wrote: »
    It would be nice if you could actually post a link to what you are talking about, quite a lot to ask i know..

A quick google says it's the Eurogamer Hobbit Face-Off, a film where a hobbit and a goblin have surgery to have their faces are swapped.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-lego-the-hobbit-face-off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

RasTa wrote: »

I thought the PS4 would already be beyond 1080p by now with how much more powerful it is compared to XB1. I was shocked it only hit 900p in BF4.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    I have a PC that can handle everything I throw at it. It'll be due an upgrade in a year or two perhaps. (i7 920 @ 3.7GHz, GTX 760, 6GB ram and a Samsung SSD) I'd like to build a Steambox at some stage to get through the controller side of my backlog but I also want to see what I've been missing on the Sony side.

That's a decent rig. A CPU upgrade and then your system won't really need upgrading in the next two years, unless you're talking about ultra-settings on the most graphic intensive games(which I doubt you are considering you're interested in the PS4). Most multi plats you'll be able to play at high settings on that rig for the whole lifespan of the PS4/XBOne. I honestly see that €250 you have better spent beefing up your PC, it'll be cheaper with better payoff in game performance.
    I thought the PS4 would already be beyond 1080p by now with how much more powerful it is compared to XB1. I was shocked it only hit 900p in BF4.

Current gen consoles are not capable at going above 1080 at all, I don't know what made you think that would ever be the case.

Davei141 wrote: »

Yeah it's a lego game so wasn't being serious.

That was a launch title so not that shocking.

Did they manage to get Titanfall up to 900p?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Does the whole "much more powerful" really stack up in terms of specs or is it more a result of poor utilisation?
    From what I've read it is a ram issue primarily.
    This seems to be taking around after the XB1 like sh1te on its shoe.
    Outside of online discussion and early adopters I wonder how the XB1 is going to fare at its first real Christmas, this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So decided to treat myself after work. Grabed a few games to trade in and gone to Gamestop.

Picked up Second Son and BF4. I was mad to get Second son and one of my buddies was mad for me to get BF4 so he would have someone to play it with! :D

I traded in:

Last of us ( I did not even finished it, played maybe twice. I dont know why, but it did not grabed me, I will pick it up for PS4 later on to give it a go again )
    Gta 5 ( Finished it and have no interest in online as its pretty much 80% loading screen of the time. I will pick it up on PC for proper experience and mod heaven. )
    Nfs Rivals PS4 ( I like it, but after playing racing games with G27 I cannot go back to controller, I ruined it for myself )
    Diablo 3 ( No point in keeping it as expansion will never come out for it. I will get it on PS4 when its out, but for now I am balls deep on PC )
    Plus 30eu (20eu out of that for some game just to get gamestop " 2 games+9.99eu offer )

I know some people will get a heart attack, because I traded in some of those games, but I dont care! :p I did kept my Dark Souls 2 ps3.

Hopefully this will dust off my PS4 and I will finally play it a bit more.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That's a decent rig. A CPU upgrade and then your system won't really need upgrading in the next two years, unless you're talking about ultra-settings on the most graphic intensive games(which I doubt you are considering you're interested in the PS4). Most multi plats you'll be able to play at high settings on that rig for the whole lifespan of the PS4/XBOne. I honestly see that €250 you have better spent beefing up your PC, it'll be cheaper with better payoff in game performance.

Current gen consoles are not capable at going above 1080 at all, I don't know what made you think that would ever be the case.

TBH I'll likely just sell it and invest in a new build. My next build will be designed for 4k so this rig will need to find a new home. I don't mind spending over €1k of my hard earned on a high spec PC since they can last so long. It has served me well with relatively minor upgrades for about 5 years now.all it really needs a is another 6gigs of RAM. It'll run BF4 in all its horribly buggy glory on Ultra at 1680x1050 at 60 fps.

I've switched to OS X for most of my day to day and work computing. The only reason I still use Windows is gaming. Windows 8 isn't going to do much to change that.

This voucher of mine is part of a work bonus. I consider it free money I wouldn't have had and therefore goes towards something shiny, making the PS4 an easy option.

^ Jelly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The PS4 game offers up a 1920x1280 image vertically super-sampled down to 1080p, providing extra anti-aliasing in the process, while Xbox One operates natively in 1080p

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-lego-the-hobbit-face-off

You forgot the best quote of that article or maybe you selectively ignored it :P
    both PS4 and Xbox One basically deliver an identical graphical experience throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That was a launch title so not that shocking.

Did they manage to get Titanfall up to 900p?
    You forgot the best quote of that article or maybe you selectively ignored it :P

Could the two of ye just stop.. for the sake of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I think you may be cherry-picking. Here are the two conclusive paragraphs I picked up on:
    These occasional interruptions in smoothness manifest in different ways on each console. On PS4 we see some mild judder, followed by the odd tear when exploring the Middle-Earth hub world. Essentially, frames are delivered to the screen at irregular intervals despite the solid 30fps update, with a unique frame followed by two duplicates - whereas in a standard 30fps cadence we see one unique frame followed by a duplicate in a repeated pattern. Meanwhile, the Xbox One game momentarily freezes from time to time before delivering a torn frame, suggesting some kind of bug causing a GPU stall. Again though, it quickly recovers and rarely impacts gameplay.
    From a technical standpoint, there isn't much to shout about or choose between across the PC, PS4 and Xbox One versions, although PS4 has the smallest of leads in image quality if you're determined to be picky, while the PC version's 60fps refresh makes for the best-possible gameplay experience - despite a few glitches and toned-down effects that feel out of place in what could easily be the flagship version of the game.

Perhaps a bigger reason to opt for PC, though, is the price. At the time of writing, Lego The Hobbit is £22.99 on Steam, which is considerably less than either next-gen version. For that kind of saving, even we can put up with a couple of graphical bugs.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...obbit-face-off

So PC, yeah? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

tok9 wrote: »
    Could the two of ye just stop.. for the sake of the thread.

Tbf, it's been a a fair few of pages of massaged sales figures, debates about screen resolutions and PC specs. It's probably a thread that should have a DNR attached to it at this stage…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I dont know why microsoft are bothering launching xbox in japan , such a waste of money and time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I dont know why microsoft are bothering launching xbox in japan , such a waste of money and time

Because the localisation cost, testing and certifications is less than the predicted sales. Ignoring a market, even when saturated by a competitor, isnt a great idea.

It's a Lego hobbit game! I was just making light of the ps4 going over 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Tbf, it's been a a fair few of pages of massaged sales figures, debates about screen resolutions and PC specs. It's probably a thread that should have a DNR attached to it at this stage…

And...

"Don't forget to buy a Wii U, guys"
    Mario_Party_8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    And...

"Don't forget to buy a Wii U, guys"
    Mario_Party_8.jpg

No_Rage_Face.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Absolutely 100% agree with you.

I mean sure going by Wikipedia they only sold 1.5 million Xbox 360's in Japan as of June 2011.

I'm as confused as you as to why on they would want to launch the Xbox One there its only a piddly potential €500,000,000 or so.

miju wrote: »
    Absolutely 100% agree with you.

I mean sure going by Wikipedia they only sold 1.5 million Xbox 360's in Japan as of June 2011.

I'm as confused as you as to why on they would want to launch the Xbox One there its only a piddly potential €500,000,000 or so.

sarcasm01.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Glad you took it in jest

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »
    Glad you took it in jest

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

ah its all in good fun :L

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement