Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Not much of a multiplayer gamer but damn i'm having soooo much fun with Titanfall i have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    sp for games like cod/battlefield are quite bad, I only ever enjoyed mw4's story but these games were made to be played online
    don't get why some people say its a deal breaker for titianfall been multiplayer only
    its not like the story was ever going to be good anyway even if it was offline :L
    I agree with you. If BF4 focused all on the online it wouldn't have been in such a state, and the SP is absolutely no justification for it given how generic and derivative it was.

That said, I still don't think full price for a purely online game is worth it. If the games were €40 online online, I'd be happy about it, but that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I agree with you. If BF4 focused all on the online it wouldn't have been in such a state, and the SP is absolutely no justification for it given how generic and derivative it was.

That said, I still don't think full price for a purely online game is worth it. If the games were €40 online online, I'd be happy about it, but that's not the case.

It all depends were you spend your gaming hours. I spend only a few hours on a campaign mode and that's it.

In multiplayer I'll play 500+ hours so for me multiplayer only games are worth the money.

Many of us here on boards bought Titanfall for between €43 - €46 from the US Xbox store so well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Titanfall multiplayer only approach is maybe not bad, but if you are going multiplayer only way, then make sure Content is there. I personally think that Titanfall is not worth 70eu as an multiplayer bare bones shooter. I dont care that some people do the "american psn shop" thing. Its not for everyone and I can bet its a minority even on boards.ie Its 60-70eu here on top of that it needs Xbox live, even if it is multiplayer game only. We already sow how fare other camp treating multiplayer only and free to play games. PSN is not required to play Free to play games.
    Titanfall is one of those "one game console games". That means that a gamer buys just one game and plays it to death. Its very popular between Cod, BF and Fifa players. They just dont buy any other games, just update the franchise they stuck with. So if they go for Xbox one and Titanfall they getting Xbox live jammed down their throat too.

What is really worrying, that MS "putting all its eggs in to one basket" aka Titanfall did not payed off. A game that was supposed to get Xbox one out of the hole did not even managed to get Xbox one to catch up with PS4 sales. Yes, we got numbers few days ago, yes you can trust them or not, bla bla bla, everyones lies bull****. Its still a rough idea on sales, which is sort off believable. Specially from Sony as PS4 is still a lot harder to get then Xbox one.
    So yeah, Titanfall helped to shift a few consoles and they were forced to give the Titanfall for free in bundle. All in all Its not a Second Christ Coming as some Fans made it look like. I have ability to buy Titanfall on PC for half the price and with all eye candy up to tit heaven. Shockingly enough it is not even remotely sparked any interest in me, and I am a person who likes a bit of cod or Battlefield now and then. I am actually more interested in less Popular Second son, but even then, I wont pay 60-70eu for it right now.
    I just wonder whats going to be next "Xbox one saver" now. Destiny? Nope. Division? Nope. Halo in 2015? Those who like Halo already bought Xbox one. Again, I personally think it will sell a few Xbox ones, but not the tit loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Well if you like Titanfall I guess you only play Fifa, Cod or BF. Some amount of tripe. Out of the 8 or so next gen games I have bought I don't think I have spent more than €55 on any of them between xbox one and ps4, but you keep saying €70 is too expensive, try not shopping in gamestop and using gamestops prices in every next gen price related post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Titanfall wears it's influences on it's sleeve where Fifa is concerned. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they even nicked some code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Davei141 wrote: »
    Well if you like Titanfall I guess you only play Fifa, Cod or BF. Some amount of tripe. Out of the 8 or so next gen games I have bought I don't think I have spent more than €55 on any of them between xbox one and ps4, but you keep saying €70 is too expensive, try not shopping in gamestop and using gamestops prices in every next gen price related post.

So because we like titanfall, that obviously means we only play fifa/cod games
    :rolleyes:

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    So because we like titanfall, that obviously means we only play fifa/cod games
    :rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic, that's what shadowhearth said. Pretty lazy stuff to say, sure when you can't say criticise the game just talk nonsense about Cod and fifa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Grayditch wrote: »
    Titanfall wears it's influences on it's sleeve where Fifa is concerned. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they even nicked some code.

This years fifa is utter ****e but if it had Titans id be all over it next year

Yeah i think i seen Gareth Bale hop out of a Titan at one point.

• Advertisement

Yeah i think i seen Gareth Bale hop out of a Titan at one point.

Up Down Left Right Start Select for God Mode. 30ft Robbie Fowler.

Up Down Left Right Start Select for God Mode. 30ft Robbie Fowler.

Losing team get Michael Owen commentary.

WOW WOW WOW. Calm the feck down ladies. I did not said that if you like Titanfall, you play only Fifa. Seriously, some people can screw any words the way they want it.
    I said that Titanfall is a popular for "one game console game". Fifa, Cod and BF are example of games like this. Where gamer just plays one franchise he likes and is not interested in other games. I know a bunch of people like this and I bet there are people like that on boards.ie. It does not mean that if you like Titanfall you are that gamer or that you like only Cod, BF or Fifa... Jesus fecking Christ.

WOW WOW WOW. Calm the feck down ladies. I did not said that if you like Titanfall, you play only Fifa. Seriously, some people can screw any words the way they want it.
    I said that Titanfall is a popular for "one game console game". Fifa, Cod and BF are example of games like this. Where gamer just plays one franchise he likes and is not interested in other games. I know a bunch of people like this and I bet there are people like that on boards.ie. It does not mean that if you like Titanfall you are that gamer or that you like only Cod, BF or Fifa... Jesus fecking Christ.

your the only one cursing and using CAPITALS :pac: calm down

Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6.gif
    Well if you like Titanfall I guess you only play Fifa, Cod or BF.

Pretty sure it was Dave people were responding to.

I dont get it. :confused:

And i was responding to shadowhearth...

I dont get it. :confused:

Well you were asking ladies to calm down, but they were responding to Dave's Titanfall/Fifa thingiemabob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I've thought MP only Titanfall was a great idea since it was announced, and this has been proven the more I spend time with the 360 version. Every mechanic and piece of game design has been tailor made for multiplayer gaming, and major revisions would have had to be made for single player. They absolutely made the right call going online only. The game's dynamic design would just not suit a scripted SP campaign anywhere near as well.

More developers should go with the one or the other route, rather than wasting resources on a half hearted box ticking exercise. Battlefield is not a better game or better value because its mediocre single player mode is there - if anything, it's a lesser game. And I don't need to list the pointless multiplayer modes out there. Great SP and MP is obviously an ideal, but few games are in a position to achieve that.

If you don't like multiplayer point blank, obviously Titanfall isn't going to be for you, but then its hardly reasonable to expect every game to be single player. But IMO Respawn made the ideal call, and released a great game that is refreshingly focused and tightly honed. Maybe its commercial success will allow them access to the talent and money to offer a strong SP component in the surely inevitable sequel. But Titanfall 1 is a great game, and all the better for focusing on its strengths.

I actually completely agree. I feel like it's better off if we go down this route for the most part where a game either focuses entirely on SP or entirely on MP because they are practically two different games. I'm not going to get Titanfall because I don't like MP but now I feel like it's much easier to just ignore, compared to seeing rave reviews of BF or COD or whatever and then playing it only to find the single player is pretty weak. I think multiplayer kind of reached the point MMOs were at a few years back where there was one that got in early (WoW for MMOs, CoD for online multiplayer) and was a huge success that raked in money because it had a model that caused people to play absolutely nothing else for months on end. This meant they could charge a sort of subscription for minimal content (map packs for CoD are crazy expensive) and make huge profits off it. I feel like loads of publishers saw this and basically said "me too" not realising that the brand and the already established community being in someone else's court put them at a huge disadvantage because people who like that sort of thing are already playing something else. We ended up with loads of games having multiplayer modes that they really didn't need as a result.

Hopefully it will instead become a thing that devs will instead focus on a few core multiplayer games to make those the best they can be instead of flippantly throwing them into nearly unrelated single player games. As a single-player gamer, I would definitely prefer it if it became more common for developers to just focus on that in quality single player games and not divert resources to a half-assed multiplayer that nobody is going to play.
    So yeah, Titanfall helped to shift a few consoles and they were forced to give the Titanfall for free in bundle. All in all Its not a Second Christ Coming as some Fans made it look like

I just wonder whats going to be next "Xbox one saver" now. Destiny? Nope. Division? Nope. Halo in 2015? Those who like Halo already bought Xbox one. Again, I personally think it will sell a few Xbox ones, but not the tit loads.

Personally, I didn't see fans hyping Titanfall that much in the last few months, it was more a case of aggressive marketing by EA and Microsoft.

As for the Halo comment, that's just not true at all. Not everyone who likes Halo shows it such devotion that they will spend $/€500 on a console for the not-even-officially-announced next instalment in the series that may or may not exist. Not sure how much strength the franchise still has (each game in the series since 3 seems to get less and less hype) but of course there are people who like it and didn't yet buy an Xbox One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

We must've been on two different planets if you think fans didn't hype Titanfall. Even here if you'd point out a negative about the X1 all that would be said in response was simply 'Titanfall'.

It was hyped to be the be all and end all for the xbox by everyone, MS, EA and fans included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

We must've been on two different planets if you think fans didn't hype Titanfall. Even here if you'd point out a negative about the X1 all that would be said in response was simply 'Titanfall'.

It was hyped to be the be all and end all for the xbox by everyone, MS, EA and fans included.

I think it's a bollox idea

It was hyped alright. The reviews and opinions seem to justify the hype, though. But let's not pretend it wasn't hyped up, marketing wise, as well as excited Xbox owners anticipating it after it did well at E3. Which is obviously normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

It was hyped alright. The reviews and opinions seem to justify the hype, though. But let's not pretend it wasn't hyped up, marketing wise, as well as excited Xbox owners anticipating it after it did well at E3. Which is obviously normal.

Though how many of these reviews and opinions were a result of the reviewer getting on board the hype train themselves. From I what I have read it is a solid FPS which has added much needed new elements to the genre. That said, for an MP only game it seems a bare bones with limited gamemodes and options on release. I really enjoyed playing the beta, but it was not the revolutionary system selling goliath many (including some reputable review sites) had billed it up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

We must be. I heard a lot about it around E3 last year but honestly in 2014 I've heard very little from anyone, personally. Compared with something like GTA 5 where I had friends buying it on launch day and where my Facebook feed was getting filled up with GTA 5 stuff and all the internet was going crazy, Titanfall seemed like nothing. I don't know a single person in real life who even seemed that interested in it. I haven't seen any humorous Titanfall videos or comics online, I just saw loads of ads for it. I didn't even see much of the "it's actually the worst game ever guys" backlash that I usually associate with successful games, just a few complaints about it being small on content. Maybe I just had my head in the sand.

C14N wrote: »
    We must be. I heard a lot about it around E3 last year but honestly in 2014 I've heard very little from anyone, personally. Compared with something like GTA 5 where I had friends buying it on launch day and where my Facebook feed was getting filled up with GTA 5 stuff and all the internet was going crazy, Titanfall seemed like nothing. I don't know a single person in real life who even seemed that interested in it. I haven't seen any humorous Titanfall videos or comics online, I just saw loads of ads for it. I didn't even see much of the "it's actually the worst game ever guys" backlash that I usually associate with successful games, just a few complaints about it being small on content. Maybe I just had my head in the sand.

Hype died off when people realised it is not second Jesus coming Sounds normal. It did not even helped to boost xbox one sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hype died off when people realised it is not second Jesus coming Sounds normal. It did not even helped to boost xbox one sales.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-17-titanfall-boosts-xbox-one-sales-by-96-per-cent-in-the-uk

Really? If you're intent on posting waffle, at least give a quick Google before typing the first thought that enters your head.

It did help sales. Do some research . If ur gonna bash a game or console at least look up what ur bashing so your not talking ****e :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

sarumite wrote:
    That said, for an MP only game it seems a bare bones with limited gamemodes and options on release. I really enjoyed playing the beta, but it was not the revolutionary system selling goliath many (including some reputable review sites) had billed it up to be.

This is something that frustrates me a bit recently and think is unfair to game companies. It's quality over content, that's what matters. Respawn have nailed it in my opinion, they have produced an incredibly fluid, fast paced game that is well balanced and feels fresh compared to the competition, and relatively bug free too! It is also an online FPS game that has pretty much no camping in it either (mainly because it's too much fun to traverse the maps), which is a great achievement and makes for a pleasant surprise in my opinion.

Had they tacked on a SP campaign, or added more game modes it would have affected the overall quality of the game. You cannot compare this to Cod or BF as those games have been around for years and are basically the Fifas of the FPS genre. We should expect more in Titanfall 2, but for a brand new franchise they have done an excellent job.

Regarding SP, if I want a good SP experience I play HL or Bioshock( for the story, the game isn't all that IMO), I wouldn't play Cod or Bf, as these are just tacked on and are pretty poor when compared to the likes of HL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose part of the issue Titanfall walked into was the install base of the host console.
    GTAV had the vast number of PS3 and 360 owners to buy their game, while the Mech'em up had the XB1 owners only to choose from.
    And, regardless of how good it is, most people who buy games right now can't play it.
    So no buzz.
    The one or two XB1 owners I know aren't interested, but then, and I'm not making this up, haven't played the console in a while now.
    But that's fairly typical for a console in its early stages, pickings are always quite light, waiting for decent releases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Titanfall (PC + Xbox one) was the best selling game in March

Microsoft's strategy to boost sales in the UK was successful. Many pro PS4 fans here think the Xbox one is in a hole... This keeps getting mentioned again an again. The fact is that both the PS4 and Xbox One are both selling incredibly well, the PS4 even more so.

Regarding Titanfall and XB1, the gem that most people haven't mentioned which is by far the biggest selling point of the Xbox One in my opinion is the dedicated servers or THE CLOUD as MS calls it. When we play Titanfall we are connected to servers in Dublin which is giving amazing results for lag free gaming. Sony simply does not have this quality of infrastructure. Microsoft provides these dedicated servers completely free of charge for games developers.

Last week we found out that Sony didn't share details of the PS4 with Respawn studios when they were considering making Titanfall for PS4 and were told 'just make a Vita version instead'. - yikes, lol.

When Respawn studios ran out of funding and almost shelved Titanfall Microsoft stepped in by investing money and expertise in the project. I mention this to emphasize another point that Microsoft have the coin to make things happen.

I really like having the underdog console this generation. Xbox One keeps getting better due to Sony's PS4 success.

Competition in the console marketplace is great for gamers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement