Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

DJ98 wrote: »
    Whats the cheviot lambs like out of a lleyn ewe?

My experience was they are slow to finish. But make nice ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ewes and lambs doing well so far
    445176.jpg
    445175.jpg
    445174.jpg

I jinxed these 3 ewes.one of them went on her back, one had a lamb that got pneumonia and the other stopped letting a lamb suck. You coupdnt make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Our 'pet' ewe that had four this year, she's had 15 lambs in 5 lambings since she was born in 2013. Her line has very few females, she herself has only had 2 ewe lambs in the 15 lambs and they too are very prolific

Nutty2018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

wrangler wrote: »
    Our 'pet' ewe that had four this year, she's had 15 lambs in 5 lambings since she was born in 2013. Her line has very few females, she herself has only had 2 ewe lambs in the 15 lambs and they too are very prolific

Nutty2018.jpg
    I like her name :D
    As an aside, I was driving through Ballinlough Co. Meath on Friday and I was in bad form due to a fecker bouncing a cheque on us. I saw two lambs curled up fast asleep on their mothers back and the sight of them immediately lifted my spirits :)

Base price wrote: »
    I like her name :D
    As an aside, I was driving through Ballinlough Co. Meath on Friday and I was in bad form due to a fecker bouncing a cheque on us. I saw two lambs curled up fast asleep on their mothers back and the sight of them immediately lifted my spirits :)

Lambing to me always signifies that the winter is nearly over.....they're a kinda sign of hope :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Base price wrote:
    I like her name As an aside, I was driving through Ballinlough Co. Meath on Friday and I was in bad form due to a fecker bouncing a cheque on us. I saw two lambs curled up fast asleep on their mothers back and the sight of them immediately lifted my spirits

wrangler wrote:
    Lambing to me always signifies that the winter is nearly over.....they're a kinda sign of hope

Its good for the soul seeing lambs start to jump and lep around.. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Its good for the soul seeing lambs start to jump and lep around.. I love it!

And sunbathing

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

serfspup wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

hope this lad will breed lenght and a bit of height into his lambs out of lleyn ewes:)

bobtails lamb.jpg
    happy so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Weather starting to look up here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Long time since there's been blackie lambs born here, but they made lambing a lot simpler when lambing out and no assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭DJ98

Long time since there's been blackie lambs born here, but they made lambing a lot simpler when lambing out and no assistance.

Are they purebred?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Are they purebred?

Nope, far from it. Bought fifty of them in the mart one night as ewe lambs averaging £51. was planning on selling them on as hoggs, but after a bit of good treatment they started to look like a better investment to keep for the mountain, instead of me spending time spaying the bracken with azulox. Bought myself a lanark ram for £350 and out of the 47 put to the ram, there's 9 left to lamb and i have 66 lambs turned out.

As someone said in an earlier post, i might not have a £80 prime lamb to sell, but counting up my time and labour etc. they're looking like a better return on investment than the mules.

Experience is a wonderful thing. My father kept horny ewes all his life and when i took over the sheep the first thing i did was get rid of the scotch ewes and buy in mules for rearing prime lamb. Twenty years later and I'm back to doing his way of things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

What will you do with the ewe lambs?

Is your man still interested??:D
    Probably pick out a pen of replacements and sell on the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Are u still keeping the dry ewe lambs aswell?

sea12 wrote: »

Are u still keeping the dry ewe lambs aswell?
    Aye have couple hundred mules that will be sold as breeders in the autumn. Although there are a few plainer faced ones that are in good condition if I was to weigh them. They could be 24/25kg and would probably make £130 now killed, whereas keeping them to September they might only make £145 or less. Make my mind up time. The only reason they’re not killed yet is because I’m not stuck for grass yet, but getting close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

He didn’t buy any!

My horned ewes are getting very Agey so could do with a few myself this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Would the ewe lambs be suitable for breeding the first year or would you have to wait till their hoggets?

Would the ewe lambs be suitable for breeding the first year or would you have to wait till their hoggets?

I'd say some of them would tip, but I'll let them grow on out. Certainly a lot more of the mule ewe lambs would cycle and hold to the ram and some men prefer to buy them as sucked hoggets.
    There was a man sold about fifteen pens of mule hoggets one night in the mart last year, he had bought 400 as ewe lambs and put the ram to them. About 350 of them reared a lamb and he was getting £145-£130 for them as sucked hoggets. Now they were money makers, but he's from across the country and they would have been well done too in terms of grass and meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Moved some ewes and lambs this eve, it went from the bedlam of ewes callin for lambs and visa versa to silent grazing in the space of 10 seconds. Don’t think I’ve seen such young lambs so hungry for grass

• Advertisement

Bit crowded, eh
    Two day paddocks

Dense Stocking.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Bit crowded, eh
    Two day paddocks

Dense Stocking.jpg

They look ok, as long as you have about 11 of them :-)

They look ok, as long as you have about 11 of them :-)

yea, 17 days since they were on that paddock before, so going grand at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

yea, 17 days since they were on that paddock before, so going grand at the moment

What would be max number of ewes and lambs you could put in a 2 acre field?

What would be max number of ewes and lambs you could put in a 2 acre field?

there's about 1.2 acres in that paddock....it should do the two days, 80 ewes and 130 lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

Leitrim and the flock looking very photogenic on Saturday!

I think they were due a move this morning, they had the far side ate bare..
    Hopefully regrowth speeds up a bit, has been slow to come back to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I think they were due a move this morning, they had the far side ate bare..
    Hopefully regrowth speeds up a bit, has been slow to come back to date.

I'm the opposite. It's gone too strong in a couple of days

Some pics from Scotsheep farm tour, 1400 ewes, 200 sucklers on 1000 acres
    IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Some pics from Scotsheep farm tour, 1400 ewes, 200 sucklers on 1000 acres
    IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

No grass going to loss there!....the cows would want good teeth.

Advertisement