Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

mid March ewe lamb to be kept as replacement

Nice one , will you put her to the ram this year or wait ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Bullocks wrote: »
    Nice one , will you put her to the ram this year or wait ?

Hopefully pull another 40 - 50 like her out of the crop and put them to a ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

mid March ewe lamb to be kept as replacement

Was looking through the best of the ewe lambs (heaviest) and one was out of a ewe with a big x on her :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Brought home rams for shearing this morning, just a few pics of some the easycare lads that shore themselves in the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

Brought home rams for shearing this morning, just a few pics of some the easycare lads that shore themselves in the spring
    How do you find the easy care?

• Advertisement

DJ98 wrote: »
    How do you find the easy care?

Find them great, have been using them on ewe lambs for the last 4 years and started crossing some of the ewes with them to keep replacements, going to cross half the ewes with them this year and more in the future until the flock is 100% easycare cross
    Lambs are easily fleshed and finished, hardy and lively at birth its quite hard to catch them after about ten minutes!
    Lambing 220+ ewe lambs each year has been a breeze compared to when we used beltex and vendeen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sheepfarmer92

If you breed an easycare Ram with other non easycare ewes will he pass on the wool shedding traits?

In keeping with the thread, here is a video (searched but didn't have a picture on the phone) of a zwartble and her two lambs. One lamb is snow white, she was crossed with a Lynn

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSsppFnB1kJ/

JJayoo wrote: »
    Sheepfarmer92

If you breed an easycare Ram with other non easycare ewes will he pass on the wool shedding traits?

In keeping with the thread, here is a video (searched but didn't have a picture on the phone) of a zwartble and her two lambs. One lamb is snow white, she was crossed with a Lynn

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSsppFnB1kJ/

The off spring will either shed fully or partially shed, the lambs have very tight skins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭razor8

What's growth rates like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Have them here with the last 2 years. Have a handful of ewes in the flock but aiming for about 60 easy care ewes in the flock for October.
    A

A first generation easy care ewe that had a set of twins this April, she nearly has all the wool shed
    IMG_20170612_191730_zpscnl4cbtx.jpg
    Another 1st generation easycare starting to loose her wool around her belly
    IMG_20170612_191743_zpsvgwr9qvh.jpg
    These are a set of twin easy care lambs, 1 is male the other is female. The mother is to the right

IMG_20170612_193216_zpsckwkni7j.jpg
    We are very impressed with the easy care breed and their growth rates are very good. The first few will be sold in 3 weeks.

The oldest lambs are being creep fed. They are very fast learners.
    IMG_20170612_184716_zpskg9fn7tk.jpg
    There's 105 ewes and their lambs in this bunch and they are being moved every 3 days to fresh grass
    IMG_20170612_193251_zpsuimcwqpp.jpg

• Advertisement

Would you prefer the easycare or the zwartables best ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Would you prefer the easycare or the zwartables best ?

I can't really compare just yet due to numbers. Both breeds make excellent mothers, easy care have slightly better conformation, the biggest advantage is obviously no wool and no need to shear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How does the wool fall off? Is it in clumps? Would 100 sheep have the place destroyed with wool?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Some ewe lambs for breeding or possibly for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

DSC01952%20-%20Copy_zpsb9c1qqfi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

orm0nd wrote: »
    Some ewe lambs for breeding or possibly for sale.

What breed(s) are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭orm0nd

DJ98 wrote: »
    What breed(s) are they?

they're belclare off mostly texel and mule x ewes,

have a batch of vica versa's as well i.e texel off belclare x ewes, might get a few pics later if I think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭White Clover

orm0nd wrote: »
    they're belclare off mostly texel and mule x ewes,

have a batch of vica versa's as well i.e texel off belclare x ewes, might get a few pics later if I think of it

Lovely lambs

Find them great, have been using them on ewe lambs for the last 4 years and started crossing some of the ewes with them to keep replacements, going to cross half the ewes with them this year and more in the future until the flock is 100% easycare cross

The easycare sheep , do you have to put clik on them at any stage over the summer ? When you shear ewe of a standard breed, she's grand for a month or so but then at risk of flystrike ?

The easycare sheep , do you have to put clik on them at any stage over the summer ? When you shear ewe of a standard breed, she's grand for a month or so but then at risk of flystrike ?
    We put everything through the dipper and will continue to do so as i hear horror stories about lads getting scab, was talking to a shearer the other day he told me the country is full of it, to answer your question the easycares havent got wool like other sheep its like hair so i dont think they would maggot as easily, havent had any with maggots yet so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

We put everything through the dipper and will continue to do so as i hear horror stories about lads getting scab, was talking to a shearer the other day he told me the country is full of it, to answer your question the easycares havent got wool like other sheep its like hair so i dont think they would maggot as easily, havent had any with maggots yet so

+1
    its a wonder scab control wasn't in the sheep welfare scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Would it be better than doing nothing to spray some 'winter dip' I have left over using Knapsack on hoggetts sheared about 5 weeks ago?.....to prevent fly strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Cran

Charollais premier sale this Saturday in Tullow, 2 of my entries in working clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Cran wrote: »
    Charollais premier sale this Saturday in Tullow, 2 of my entries in working clothes

Great sheep. Good luck with them.

Cran wrote: »

What dya need to part with them? 7OO+?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

rangler1 wrote: »
    Nice sheep but didn't think he'd be getting ribbons at any decent sale, is he a tad short? Is he lamb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Nice sheep but didn't think he'd be getting ribbons at any decent sale, is he a tad short? Is he lamb?

Picture came up on my facebook, wouldn't be my type.....he's an 81kg lamb.
    wonder did he make a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭razor8

rangler1 wrote: »

He's a good one if grass fed if not he's a poor looking animal from photo imo. Definitely nothing special. How much did he make?

• Advertisement

On the plus side, from that photo, looks nice and arrow shaped for easy lambing.

Advertisement