Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Cran

rangler1 wrote: »
    Picture came up on my facebook, wouldn't be my type.....he's an 81kg lamb.
    wonder did he make a good price

Think that pic & weight is from month ago was heavier than 81kg today. He's very smart lamb great muscle, made 2,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Cran wrote: »
    Think that pic & weight is from month ago was heavier than 81kg today. He's very smart lamb great muscle, made 2,000

I don't like a sheep to be ''arrow shaped'' so I supposed it's each to their own.
    Someone's laughing all the way to the bank anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

Does anyone know what the average ram lamb price was?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

One of the ewe lambs I got this week...

I like this lamb, lovely thick set lamb with a nice speckled face...

I'd say she knows what a bag of meal is too.......it's a waste not to put her in lamb ;)

Cracking Lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

424439.JPG
    A few of the texel ewe lambs, you'd know they're out of Suffolk ewes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

424439.JPG

What would they like as replacements?

• Advertisement

Mac Taylor wrote: »

I used to use them, found they got very big and udders would be dragging the ground.....high replacement rate if they didn't die before you got to cull them.
    Looked the part though

I used to use them, found they got very big and udders would be dragging the ground.....high replacement rate if they didn't die before you got to cull them.
    Looked the part though

We still have some of the first texel ewes I can remember, a lot of them are on their last legs but the majority have lasted . don't find them any worse then Suffolk for big elders.some can get big alright

Wat were they during off, ?

We still have some of the first texel ewes I can remember, a lot of them are on their last legs but the majority have lasted . don't find them any worse then Suffolk for big elders.some can get big alright

Wat were they during off, ?

Mastitis and going on their back mainly, they grew into huge ewes.....it was the reason we introduced Lleyns into breeding replacements ......only 7 ewes died here this year out of about 550, and only four or five cases of mastitis

We like them but read ranglers description of them, we find them prolific, bought ten hoggetts this year and all had couples and trebles and their milky too . the speckled ones are better than the white heads in my opinion , abit more strength about them ,less finicky mastitis and pneumonia and the likes

Mastitis and going on their back mainly, they grew into huge ewes.....it was the reason we introduced Lleyns into breeding replacements ......only 7 ewes died here this year out of about 550, and only four or five cases of mastitis

Had ur original ewes speckled or plain white heads

Had ur original ewes speckled or plain white heads

Only had 200 ewes at the time, used to buy some replacements and breed some, hogget ewes i bought were usually suffolky and crossed then with texel, the rams i bought then were usually big thick h...rs, buy them more maternal now, makes some difference to the lambing when the ewes do most of the work themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

we find them prolific, bought ten hoggetts this year and all had couples and trebles and their milky too
    That makes them appeal more to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

buy them more maternal now, makes some difference to the lambing when the ewes do most of the work themselves.

Similiar to what teagasc are advocating now. More maternal flocks that produce more profit per hectare.

Couldn't care less about the width of the ram as long as he'd long, have enough pigs around the place that are slow to out on weight, I don't really care if you have to pull them or not cos we have to take them out fairly quickly cos they can get cold on slats and risk of navel infection. Last lamb we lost from being too big at birth was a big Suffolk single off black ewe and the one before that was a.deformed texel that had to be sectioned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Couldn't care less about the width of the ram as long as he'd long, have enough pigs around the place that are slow to out on weight, I don't really care if you have to pull them or not cos we have to take them out fairly quickly cos they can get cold on slats and risk of navel infection. Last lamb we lost from being too big at birth was a big Suffolk single off black ewe and the one before that was a.deformed texel that had to be sectioned

Going down opposite road here, attempting to have none that need pulling. Trade off is they wont push down scales as much, but hoping there'll be more of them there to make up difference. As said before, up to each farmer to decide what suits their farm and setup best.

• Advertisement

20 years ago it was easier get length in texels, width was and is always there
    It would have been one of the reasons we started lambing them as yearlings hoping to stop them growing too big, they develop into right cows if they had the first year off

20 years ago it was easier get length in texels, width was and is always there
    It would have been one of the reasons we started lambing them as yearlings hoping to stop them growing too big, they develop into right cows if they had the first year off

These old ones had lambs as yearlings , a few of them are still dogs of ewes, one ewe I remember had 2 lambs as a yearling and got stunted and you'd still know it in her

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Would not recommend them for replacements. The majority of Ewes here would be Texel x Suffolk. They are nice big sheep and have good lambs. However, they are not prolific and we would be doing well to get 1.4 lambs/ Ewe since we are crossing them with Suffolk,Texel and Charollais Rams. We bought a Belclare Ram last year for breeding replacements. The plan is to have no Suffolk or Texel Ewes here in 5 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Would not recommend them for replacements. The majority of Ewes here would be Texel x Suffolk. They are nice big sheep and have good lambs. However, they are not prolific and we would be doing well to get 1.4 lambs/ Ewe since we are crossing them with Suffolk,Texel and Charollais Rams. We bought a Belclare Ram last year for breeding replacements. The plan is to have no Suffolk or Texel Ewes here in 5 years time.

I use to have a good few of them. Found them good ewes. Crossed with a Charolais ran snd the lambs were fantastic factory lambs. I averaged 1.8 so didn't find them too bad. Took a bit of feeding though as big ewes to feed with a healthy appetite. 😀

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/in-photos-mixed-trade-at-blessington-s-suffolk-cheviot-breeding-sale-299290

Pictures and prices from breeding sale of Hogget ewes in Blessington yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

sako 85 wrote: »
    http://www.farmersjournal.ie/in-photos-mixed-trade-at-blessington-s-suffolk-cheviot-breeding-sale-299290

Pictures and prices from breeding sale of Hogget ewes in Blessington yesterday

dam our lambs didn't make the pictures :(

ganmo wrote: »
    dam our lambs didn't make the pictures :(

What they maje

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What they maje

90 odd. Dad wasn't happy

424439.JPG

Sold 20 today,
    Better ten 55kg 130e 2nd prize
    Other ten 52kg 125e. Haooy enough always nice to get s a ribbon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Bit of dressing and dyeing going on yesterday. Sold last night averaged £142. Back a bit on the previous week.

Advertisement