Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

look great value at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

razor8 wrote: »
    look great valve at that?

Aye razor, was hoping for more considering the price of ewe lambs was mental at a special show and sale. But there's plenty of hoggets in the country too, going by sales I've been at so far and its not even September yet.
    Its taking a very good strong hogget coming off excellent lowland field ground to make over £150 atm.
    Mine would all be coming off fairly hill ground.

Aye razor, was hoping for more considering the price of ewe lambs was mental at a special show and sale. But there's plenty of hoggets in the country too, going by sales I've been at so far and its not even September yet.
    Its taking a very good strong hogget coming off excellent lowland field ground to make over £150 atm.
    Mine would all be coming off fairly hill ground.

very good, whats the plan for next year, are ya buying in as ewe lambs now that youve stopping lambing sheep?

have you all hoggets sold?

Still have couple hundred hoggs to sell, hundred mules and hundred blackies. Have hundred lambs bought so far, with probably another three hundred to buy in the next month as the hoggs go.
    Bought a couple pure bred dorset ewe lambs and a ram to go with the handful of pb dorsets I kept.
    Bought a ram carrying the myomax gene for the craic, so I'll see how he breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Still have couple hundred hoggs to sell, hundred mules and hundred blackies. Have hundred lambs bought so far, with probably another three hundred to buy in the next month as the hoggs go.
    Bought a couple pure bred dorset ewe lambs and a ram to go with the handful of pb dorsets I kept.

Thats a super dog. Whered u get hee. We had one a few years ago but got killed before she was working proper. Neighbour has one and does come visiting our bitch every so often . Have a pup out of him but he came black

• Advertisement

Getting into a busy time, what type of blackies have to sell. Where they on done deal?

Pm if you want

Getting into a busy time, what type of blackies have to sell. Where they on done deal?

Pm if you want

Yeah, busy weekends trimmng and dyeing. A lot of the outside sales here are on saturdays aswell, that would be the good hill ewe lambs coming off.

nope blackies weren't on DD. Some Lanarks but mostly North type blackies. I'll see if i can get a few pics at the weekend.

Thats a super dog. Whered u get hee. We had one a few years ago but got killed before she was working proper. Neighbour has one and does come visiting our bitch every so often . Have a pup out of him but he came black

He's a blue merle, about 14 months now, and is really taking shape over the summer as he's had a fair bit of sheep work to do. He's still prone to the odd bit of a bolloxing for doing something completely stupid, but coming well. Have a wee beardie collie that pupped three weeks ago and he's fathered at least one of the pups going by the colour of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Bit of dressing and dyeing going on yesterday. Sold last night averaged £142. Back a bit on the previous week.

If they didn't make over the €170-80 mark here in Donegal I'd be surprised,thinner lesser well made mule hoggets making that

IH784man wrote: »
    Bit of dressing and dyeing going on yesterday. Sold last night averaged £142. Back a bit on the previous week.

If they didn't make over the €170-80 mark here in Donegal I'd be surprised,thinner lesser well made mule hoggets making that

Looking in the journal tonight at the hoggs in the ballinrobe sale. No way would they be making that money up here. Too dear at that sort of money. Good sheep all the same.

• Advertisement

Shore the ewes today. 6 ewe lambs we are keeping
    426860.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Just Bumping this up if you don't mind.....on the countdown now.
    The maternal abilities of the Lleyn crossed with the conformation of maternal Texels, a great combination
    130 hoggets sorted at the moment,
    2s, 3s, and 4yr old, to near 350 altogether.,

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGtsGl6XYAAMAiA.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

rangler1 wrote: »
    Just Bumping this up if you don't mind.....on the countdown now.
    The maternal abilities of the Lleyn crossed with the conformation of maternal Texels, a great combination
    130 hoggets sorted at the moment,
    2s, 3s, and 4yr old, to near 350 altogether.,

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGtsGl6XYAAMAiA.jpg:large

Hope the sale goes well for ye rangler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Bullocks wrote: »
    Hope the sale goes well for ye rangler

Yes best of luck rangler. Hope it's a successful trade for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

You should get that page framed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You should get that page framed.

He scrubbed up well too

427816.jpg
    Looking for work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

36851126890_e4643ae8af_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

New ram bought at the Cheviot Premier Show and Sale on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

sheep 159.JPG

hope this lad will breed lenght and a bit of height into his lambs out of lleyn ewes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭DJ98

serfspup wrote: »
    sheep 159.JPG

hope this lad will breed lenght and a bit of height into his lambs out of lleyn ewes:)

Whats the cheviot lambs like out of a lleyn ewe?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Whats the cheviot lambs like out of a lleyn ewe?

i like them so far,definitely grow bigger .the lleyns have good tight wool and it has come through in the lambs.have not lambed cheviot x lleyn ewes yet.have a wicklow cheviot out with the smallest ewes and a north country type with the bigger ewes.the hoggets are out of northie rams and I let a wicklow out with them.

How do they scan?

How do they scan?

havent scanned chxlleyn yet.
    this year is the first hoggets and not all of them are chx.

I was breeding the lleyns to increase prolificacy but they havent
    (not all their fault I haven t been looking after my grass very well so they have not been flushed well enough this last few years :mad: my bad)

Ewes and lambs doing well so far

Ewes and lambs doing well so far

Nice grass underneath them too

Nice grass underneath them too

Reseeded from last autumn. Was grazed bare in November, came back nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Some of the 25 Belclare x ewes I recently bought. A few are PB Belclare to. , all 2,3 and 4 year olds in lamb to Belclare Ram.

Advertisement