Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Merkin wrote: »
    Oh Rua do, it's absolute bliss! Quite a few places do pregnancy massages and packages and it's so relaxing and lovely. Rose oil in particular is a lovely gentle oil to use in pregnancy and while all our energy is going towards growing and nurturing our little bubbas, it is lovely to have some me-time as well, whenever I have a treatment I feel enormously relaxed and pampered. :)

I also can't recommend swimming enough, it has been a godsend since my bump has become really big as it allows me to exercise and keep fit but takes all that pressure off my back and hips, the baby loves it as well! I try to do 25 lengths every visit and I always feel great afterwards as I just can't walk the distances I used to, I'm hoping it will help come labour time!

I wish I could swim/had facilities to swim :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Even if you can't swim Sasha I'd still recommend going into the pool. Having a paddle about and holding on to the sides and splashing the legs would really help your back or any weight bearing joints as you feel weightless in the pool (when on dry land we're feeling ANYTHING but weightless :o). Even if you don't have a pool near you, is there a hotel pool or gym you could use?

Even if you can't swim Sasha I'd still recommend going into the pool. Having a paddle about and holding on to the sides and splashing the legs would really help your back or any weight bearing joints as you feel weightless in the pool (when on dry land we're feeling ANYTHING but weightless :o). Even if you don't have a pool near you, is there a hotel pool or gym you could use?

Hotel local to me has a gym and pool, neither of which you can use without yearly membership. 4 figure sum required! :eek:

I'd have to get OH to drive me half an hour to the closest pay as you go pool and it's always desperately crowded. Not that I'm embarrassed in the slightest, but I would panic in the water with that many people close by me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Hotel local to me has a gym and pool, neither of which you can use without yearly membership. 4 figure sum required! :eek:

I'd have to get OH to drive me half an hour to the closest pay as you go pool and it's always desperately crowded. Not that I'm embarrassed in the slightest, but I would panic in the water with that many people close by me!

Where are you based? There's a really nice pool in portmarnock, it's quiet enough during the week :)

loubian wrote: »
    Where are you based? There's a really nice pool in portmarnock, it's quiet enough during the week :)

Border of Monaghan and Norn Iron :pac:
    Dublin would be way too much effort just to swim. I fill the bath really full every night and try to float in it, but since I don't float, it's getting hard :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

God, ShaSha, 4 figures for a yearly membership........:eek:

Keep on getting these terrifying emails from apticlub - the one I got today says my baby is due in 6 weeks! How did that happen????!!!! It seems like it was only yesterday that I was sitting in the hospital for my first appointment, feeling like a fraud when surrounded by lots of baby bumps.

Very excited, but feeling very unprepared at the same time.
    Am starting to get my freezer stocked with home cooked meals, will need to search around for more ideas as I'm sure I'll turn into a shepherd's pie or spaghetti bolognese after a little while....

Rua1 wrote: »
    God, ShaSha, 4 figures for a yearly membership........:eek:

Keep on getting these terrifying emails from apticlub - the one I got today says my baby is due in 6 weeks! How did that happen????!!!! It seems like it was only yesterday that I was sitting in the hospital for my first appointment, feeling like a fraud when surrounded by lots of baby bumps.

Very excited, but feeling very unprepared at the same time.
    Am starting to get my freezer stocked with home cooked meals, will need to search around for more ideas as I'm sure I'll turn into a shepherd's pie or spaghetti bolognese after a little while....

Want an even bigger fright? I'm considered full-term at 37 weeks. Which is 20 days from now. 20. :confused:
    We haven't bothered with the freezer, it's more like a glorified ice box, and we're spending the first 3-4 days between my mums and his mums house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

<...>
    I'm planning to freeze some meals too. Sheppard's pie is the only one on the menu so far, I don't eat flour/grain stuff, so my options are even more limited :rolleyes: gonna google for some ideas...

20days! I wouldn't mind, I'm not enjoying being pregnant at all. We're getting tons of baby stuff from my BF brother this weekend. we should all set for the baby's arrival by next weekend but... I'm not due until 23rd of July! That's ages!

j@utis wrote: »
    I'm planning to freeze some meals too. Sheppard's pie is the only one on the menu so far, I don't eat flour/grain stuff, so my options are even more limited :rolleyes: gonna google for some ideas...

20days! I wouldn't mind, I'm not enjoying being pregnant at all. We're getting tons of baby stuff from my BF brother this weekend. we should all set for the baby's arrival by next weekend but... I'm not due until 23rd of July! That's ages!

Realistically if I go 2 weeks over my due date, I'll not be going till about then either :( Seems like too long, because I'm well and truly finished with being pregnant :P

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Hello ladies, haven't posted in a while. Hope ye are all well. Hard to believe we are in single digits now.

I'm off work last week and this week. My iron is very low and I dont tolerate oral iron very well so trying to get it up with my diet. Aside from the pure exhaustion, I was feeling grand until yesterday. Ive awful pain inside my legs on the left side. Desperate when I walk of climb stairs. Any of ye experience this or know what it might be???

• Advertisement

dizzymiss wrote: »
    Hello ladies, haven't posted in a while. Hope ye are all well. Hard to believe we are in single digits now.

I'm off work last week and this week. My iron is very low and I dont tolerate oral iron very well so trying to get it up with my diet. Aside from the pure exhaustion, I was feeling grand until yesterday. Ive awful pain inside my legs on the left side. Desperate when I walk of climb stairs. Any of ye experience this or know what it might be???

I get a lot of pain in my legs and back now if I overdo it. And by overdo it, I mean spend more than 5 minutes picking things off the floor. :o

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I get a lot of pain in my legs and back now if I overdo it. And by overdo it, I mean spend more than 5 minutes picking things off the floor. :o

I spent yesterday gardening and did a good bit of hoovering this morning. Went to pick up my little lady off the floor and thought I'd pass out with the pain. Holy god.

dizzymiss wrote: »
    I spent yesterday gardening and did a good bit of hoovering this morning. Went to pick up my little lady off the floor and thought I'd pass out with the pain. Holy god.

Yeah, we got a new hoover (been doing a less than acceptable job with our taped together one) and I hoovered last night too. Spent no more than ten minutes at it, but was stiff as a board this morning! Shocking how little we can actually manage.

My OH actually said last night that he wished he knew what it felt like when the baby moved on the inside - it must be utterly magical to make you want to feel fat, tired and in so much pain all the time :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

I'm only really starting to feel heavily pregnant this week. I feel about as agile as an elephant, the bump is stopping me bending at my middle so every movement just feels stiff and awkward - I'm not a happy camper!!
    Also out of breath the whole time and I now have heartburn. I'm constantly wishing baby would start moving down out of my ribs even though i know when baby drops it just brings a whole other set of symptoms :)

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I'm only really starting to feel heavily pregnant this week. I feel about as agile as an elephant, the bump is stopping me bending at my middle so every movement just feels stiff and awkward - I'm not a happy camper!!
    Also out of breath the whole time and I now have heartburn. I'm constantly wishing baby would start moving down out of my ribs even though i know when baby drops it just brings a whole other set of symptoms :)

Know exactly what you mean OceanBlue. I started to feel like that last week. Bump has started to get in the way. Bending over to pick stuff up (just leaving it on the floor now), picking up my 11month old up etc. Im completely out of breath when carrying her around, especially upstairs. The big little 24lb munchkin that she is.

I have the heartburn since before 20weeks and a nice glass/litre of cold milk always fixed that but have been told to lay off the dairy until my iron levels come back up!!! Oh the fun of it all :)

Period cramps/aches. All day. Only mildly uncomfortable but keep forcing me to need the loo so I cam only assume they are actually mild contractions! Bump has well dropped and its done nothing for the breathlessness and heartburn :( Ive really loved being pregnant and I cant wait to meet my daughter but mt body has had enough now I reckon!

This is the first night I haven't slept well. Let the practice for having a newborn commence :(

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

I've had period like cramps and needing to wee every 5 seconds from time to time. Then I go back to normal and can last a good few hours without needing the loo.

Haven't yet had the issue with not being able to sleep, but I'm informed I snore like a freight train, so I guess my husband is getting used to the sleepless nights. Although he hasn't yet slept elsewhere, so I can't be THAT bad???!!

Pretty much finished off the nursery over the weekend. I'm surprised my wallet didn't grow legs and run away, as we went to ikea for furniture, mothercare for a few bits and then boots for loads of stuff.

I've had period like cramps and needing to wee every 5 seconds from time to time. Then I go back to normal and can last a good few hours without needing the loo.

Haven't yet had the issue with not being able to sleep, but I'm informed I snore like a freight train, so I guess my husband is getting used to the sleepless nights. Although he hasn't yet slept elsewhere, so I can't be THAT bad???!!

Pretty much finished off the nursery over the weekend. I'm surprised my wallet didn't grow legs and run away, as we went to ikea for furniture, mothercare for a few bits and then boots for loads of stuff.

My house isn't even painted yet never mind having furniture bought or the room organised! I'm nowhere near as organised as I had hoped :(

Has everyone got their bags packed? Another thing I've yet to do.........
    Do you guys plan on keeping them at home or will you have them in the car going to work etc once you're down to the last few weeks??

I was so organised last timr. Really bad this time. No bag packed yet but have the stuff packed away from last year (wouldn't be caught dead in those nighties normally :D). Have to arrange stuff for the baby also and make space in the wardrobe. Oh god. So much to do!!!

• Advertisement

Have got most things for bubba Merkin now although we have yet to decorate the nursery and have yet to pack a hospital bag etc. I feel there's lots of time! Is everyone else feeling huge?! I keep forgetting I'm heavily pregnant so have been overdoing it a little (long power walk on beach, up baking at all hours of the morning, thinking its business as usual) and was in bits yesterday with lower back ache which we were afraid was early labour but rested up today and that has helped enormously, need to pace myself! WE ARE ALL DUE NEXT MONTH LADIES!!!:eek::P:D I'm a little apprehensive but more than anything just really excited about meeting the little fellow and being able to cuddle him! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Good morning folks. Lying awake most of the night :/
    Went to a breastfeeding workshop yesterday. I thought it was very informative and it's made me more hopefully to stick at it if I can. I love the idea of skin to skin contact as soon as the baby is delivered. We were shown a wee video of a baby latching on and it gave me a warm lovey dovey feeling...soon this will be me :-)
    Over the last two weeks I've been feeling heavily pregnant too. My ankles and fingers swell up easily and I have this prickly heat rash that comes on at night. I've been using Silcocks Base as a moisturiser after the shower and I've found that helps a bit.
    We started our 'nesting' last weekend. Put the cot up, drawers filled with donated newborn clothes (my friend gave me about 8 bin liners full of varying sized clothes...won't have to buy anything for 2 years!) I haven't my hospital bag packed yet but I have everything lined up ready for it. I think I'll leave mine in the car.
    Are any of ye not going to use a Moses basket? We've decided (for now) that we'll try going straight to the cot. We'll live in the nursery for the first 6/8 weeks or so and then come back into our room.
    It's 4.30 and the birdies are singing outside zzzzz

I hear you with the swollen hands! Mine are horrendous when I wake up but then thankfully ease as the day goes on.

Had really weighed up about putting bubs in a cot straight away but we found a beautiful Moses basket in Mothercare which arrived yesterday, I like the thought of having him sleep in any room in the house during the day for those first few weeks (and in our room at night!) and will keep the cot in with us until he's six months once he's ready to move into that. Have some delightfully snuggly grobags for him too, would love some for myself! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Are any of ye not going to use a Moses basket? We've decided (for now) that we'll try going straight to the cot. We'll live in the nursery for the first 6/8 weeks or so and then come back into our room.

I've ordered the Chicco cosleeper cot from Mamas & Papas, there's every chance she'll only sleep on one of us for the first few weeks but I'm reasoning that as I'll (hopefully) be breastfeeding this is the most convenient option as we're quite hugely limited on space.

We have the Uppababy Vista and the bassinet on that is approved for overnight sleeps so that's always an option for daytime too. We're in an apt. so we don't have stairs to worry about going up and down to for rooms that makes makes things considerable more straightforward (if much smaller!!).

Merkin are you going to use the grobags from the beginning? I'm humming and hawwing, something is telling me not to use them straight off the bat but they do look so handy and cosy!

Im the opposite with swollen hands. Wake up grand but they gradually become bigger as the day goes on. Havent worn my wedding rings in weeks.

I hadnt planned on getting a moses basket last time but then got one as a gift. So so handy. Can transport baby with you from room to room without disturbing them and then up to your own room at night. And very handy if ye go away any night. Easy throw in the back of the car. When our little lady got too big, we were given a crib and she stayed in that until about 7month. This is when she then went into her own cot in her own room.

This time around we're going to keep the moses basket downstairs and use the crib at night. This is all from a woman that swore she'd only use a cot.

Only started using grobags when she went into the crib and as the weather got cooler. Last summer was so warm, they weren't needed. So will see how it goes. The cellular blankets are very handy. Great for out and about and just as a throw over during the day.

The bassinet is very handy alright and a great alternative to the moses basket.

Our pram has a carry-cot and we plan to use that for downstairs napping and we're going to put it in the cot at night time until she's a little bigger :o
    Hospital bag is almost ready. I have everything I need for her (which is the important stuff) and all I am missing for me is something comfy to come home in and stuff for tying my hair back. Think my mum and sis are going to bring that though - so I just need to pick up a comfy outfit for myself and I'm sorted (but obviously no rush with this, I'd happily come home in my jammies :D)

Was reading all about the different stages of labour last night, scared me a bit how the timeline progresses and how long it can be. Hadn't really thought much about the baby coming out! :P
    I have my labour and breastfeeding class after my 36 week appointment Thursday week - and then I get my results from college and find out if I got my degree :confused: Nerves are shot!

Jerrica wrote: »
    Merkin are you going to use the grobags from the beginning? I'm humming and hawwing, something is telling me not to use them straight off the bat but they do look so handy and cosy!

We were going to get the Chicco co sleeper also but in the end decided against, I think it looks like a gorgeous little thing, very snug!:)

I've bought two 1.5 tog and two 2.5 tog gro bags (for summer and winter) from Jojo Maman and I also have a few cellular blankets so covered for all eventualities! Our home is a 150 year old cottage so the walls are two feet thick which keeps it quite cool in summer and then toasty in winter so I think the bags should be fine. In any event, the 1.5 tog bags are recommended for summer use as they are actually very light and would be perfect if baby is in a little long sleeve vest.

Have any of you bought room thermometers and which came recommended? I've been looking at the egg ones but not sure what to go for!

Have any of you bought room thermometers and which came recommended? I've been looking at the egg ones but not sure what to go for!

We got the groegg Merkin. Works perfectly. Have used it in a couple of different rooms over the summer last year. Our monitor also has a built in room thermometer whuch is great. You can always see what temp the room is. It's a Tomy monitor.

Thanks for that dizzy, had been looking at that one so thank you for the recommendation. On the subject of thermometers, what baby one would you recommend? Are the ones that look like a stun gun good? A couple of people have said they're great because you can read baby's temperature without actually disturbing the little thing by having to stick it in their ear!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that dizzy, had been looking at that one so thank you for the recommendation. On the subject of thermometers, what baby one would you recommend? Are the ones that look like a stun gun good? A couple of people have said they're great because you can read baby's temperature without actually disturbing the little thing by having to stick it in their ear!

We got the Braun tympanic thermometer. Think that's the stun gun one you're talking about. You pop it in their ear and it reads almost instantly. It costs about €50 but it's an investment. My gp uses the very same one and it's very similar to that used in the hospital.

Advertisement