Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

It's reassuring to talk to other ladies around the same stage as all our little niggles seem to correspond, things like back ache and an apparently teensy bladder! One thing I've noticed and Mr. Merkin has especially in the last few weeks is that baby brain is here in earnest!:o I'm normally very sharp/quick on my feet and my brain is ever so spongy and I've been pretty vague. Hubby says I have a propensity to ask him a question and then ask the exact same question again five minutes later. And just general forgetfulness as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Ha! I have been doing the same thing. I'd say it's frustrating for people to be asked the same question over and over again. I think the protective instinct is the one that's knocked me a bit, for instance as a passenger in a car I'm forever looking for the Jesus pedal. I was never nervous of other people's driving...I'm even a bit nervous of myself behind the wheel! I'm driving round like a granny ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Ha! I have been doing the same thing. I'd say it's frustrating for people to be asked the same question over and over again. I think the protective instinct is the one that's knocked me a bit, for instance as a passenger in a car I'm forever looking for the Jesus pedal. I was never nervous of other people's driving...I'm even a bit nervous of myself behind the wheel! I'm driving round like a granny ☺

Baby brain has negatively affected my driving :(
    Concentration is shot when I'm tired. So I need to seriously concentrate on the journey home from work so that I don't reverse out without looking or something!! I've already reversed into my gate while stressed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Hmmmm......OceanBlue, I accidentally reversed our brand new car into a bollard due to baby brain :( Luckily it was slow so just a scratch or two that can be patched easily, but I'm getting a bit worried about that.

My mind is a sieve too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sinker

Haha I got all the same symptoms:
    Baby brain for sure in everything really, work and personal life.. but I find it funny until now (thankfully, I haven't crashed the car or anything like that)
    I have cravings for carbs from the beginning of the pregnancy but lately I have been having cravings for junk food and I feel a bit bad for what I am feeding my baby.
    Horrible back-aches (sciatica) immobilize me many times.
    Oh and that tiny bladder.. some days I have to go every half an hour and with me being so heavy now it's frustrating to have to get up every half an hour.. haha

Feels better to know that you are not alone and others can understand what you are going through. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Baby brain drive ng, tiny bladders and major fatigue... tick, tick, tick!!! We're all in the same boat by the looks of it :D

Betsie I absolutely don't know how anyone does this and looks after a little one too. Mind yourself xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

It is hard looking after my lg and working and running a house but its worth it in the end im sure :) xx

baby has moved into I dunno what position today but its so uncomfortable :( hope it doesnt stay this way too long xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Well I had my first final exam yesterday, with my second on Thursday. Baby brain seems to be giving me extra memory power! Or at least, it's leeching my ability to do the most basic tasks like put on knickers before trousers in the morning to save them for my studies :pac:

I'll be 32 weeks on Thursday. I'm beside myself with excitement.
    I WANT MY DAUGHTER NOW! :mad:

i find time is starting to drag a bit now im so impatient i would love my little girl here too xx

hope the exams go well for you shasha

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Well I had my first final exam yesterday, with my second on Thursday. Baby brain seems to be giving me extra memory power! Or at least, it's leeching my ability to do the most basic tasks like put on knickers before trousers in the morning to save them for my studies :pac:

I'll be 32 weeks on Thursday. I'm beside myself with excitement.
    I WANT MY DAUGHTER NOW! :mad:

you're doing finals too! Mine start next week, having a girl too and I can't wait to not think about exams and to just think about her all the time! I'm due in Aug :) I have MAJOR baby brain right now but I hope it turns into productive, memory-enabling baby brain like yours.
    Good luck in the rest of your exams!

• Advertisement

Cameoette wrote: »
    you're doing finals too! Mine start next week, having a girl too and I can't wait to not think about exams and to just think about her all the time! I'm due in Aug :) I have MAJOR baby brain right now but I hope it turns into productive, memory-enabling baby brain like yours.
    Good luck in the rest of your exams!

I think it's just extra motivation because repeats are in August and I really don't want to sit them then so I'm working extra hard to avoid that! Good luck in yours too and hopefully when our results come out we'll have nothing to worry about except cute coming home outfits! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sinker

I'm getting so impatient too! I want her in my arms right now (also a girl) :)
    Yesterday I think I got my first Braxton Hicks contractions.. Very unpleasant and I got frightened for a bit. But I took a hot shower and the pains went away.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm doing my exams too. I had one on Monday and have one tomorrow. My head isn't working properly, I can't remember anything and have zero motivation. I'm just hoping to scramble past the pass mark of 50%. My exam repeats are in August too but I can't see myself doing them with 2 week old baby at home! It sounds a bit like I'm on the same course with Sasha :D
    Baby is kicking like crazy, esp in the mornings and evenings, to the point that it gets annoying!

j@utis wrote: »
    I'm doing my exams too. I had one on Monday and have one tomorrow. My head isn't working properly, I can't remember anything and have zero motivation. I'm just hoping to scramble past the pass mark of 50%. My exam repeats are in August too but I can't see myself doing them with 2 week old baby at home! It sounds a bit like I'm on the same course with Sasha :D
    Baby is kicking like crazy, esp in the mornings and evenings, to the point that it gets annoying!

Only for I know no-one else in my class is pregnant, I'd be wondering if you WERE on the same course :P

But I totally agree, when I started I thought "Oh I want a fantastic GPA that is really big so I can get the best degree". And now I am like "Hey, once I get the piece of paper..."

hope all your exams are going well girls, bet ye cant wait to finish up now and get ready for the new arrival xx

hope all your exams are going well girls, bet ye cant wait to finish up now and get ready for the new arrival xx

Second last exam in one hour, last exam on Wednesday at 9!
    To say I want them over is an understatement! :D

Oh god it will be an enormous relief to you all to have the exams over and done with! They were hard enough when I went to university many years ago, and I was single and fancy free.

A bit stressed here myself. My mother was sent to hospital on Friday (my parents live in New Zealand.....), and is still there. Seems to be some kind of heart condition, but will find out more tomorrow. Pretty hard being on the other side of the world when something like this happens. Have to try not to stress too much. My siblings don't seem to be too concerned, and they've all seen her.

Hoping our little nipper will start school there at the age of 5, depends on a whole host of things really.

Try not to worry Rua. I live away from my family too and distance can really magnify any concerns like that but if you're siblings are not unduly worried then I would try my very best not to let the worry get to me. Has she got a tablet that maybe you could have a Facetime or Skype with her? I think if you actually were able to talk to her you would probably feel very reassured.

Merkin wrote: »
    Try not to worry Rua. I live away from my family too and distance can really magnify any concerns like that but if you're siblings are not unduly worried then I would try my very best not to let the worry get to me. Has she got a tablet that maybe you could have a Facetime or Skype with her? I think if you actually were able to talk to her you would probably feel very reassured.

Thanks very much for your response. I did give her a call there, but there is no internet access in that hospital for anything else. Still a bit worried as she was supposed to be home already.

32 weeks for me on Thursday. I started my antenatal classes last thursday evening at the Coombe, so getting there.

Try not to worry, discharge dates in hospitals are contingent on so many factors, maybe the consultant who she needed to see to be discharged was called in to surgery or something - there are any number of extenuating circumstances not actually relating to her health that could delay that process so don't read too much into that, she will be fine xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Rua1 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your response. I did give her a call there, but there is no internet access in that hospital for anything else. Still a bit worried as she was supposed to be home already.

32 weeks for me on Thursday. I started my antenatal classes last thursday evening at the Coombe, so getting there.

I'm sure your Mum will be fine but I fully appreciate how difficult it is to accept the word of other people for something like this.
    My parents were involved in a car crash a few years ago and when I got the phone call from my aunt to tell me, she stressed that they were in hospital for a check up but were perfectly fine. I trusted my aunt so much but still it took forever (or so I thought) to get to the hospital. When I did another aunt and a cousin tried to stop me going through to the cubicle in A&E to see them as they were fine. Wild horses couldn't have kept me out of there.
    I got in, saw them, saw they were ok and promptly burst into tears with relief that people weren't lying to me:o

I'm attending the Coombe too, due Oct 7th (will be confirmed on Friday at my big scan which I'm dying for) and have booked in for the long day Saturday ante natal classes on August 30th. I'll be 35 weeks then. I'm a bit worried that it might be a bit too late but the lady I spoke to said it isn't at all. :(
    How was your class?

Had hospital appointment today. Midwife consult, Doctor consult with mini - scan.......All within 25 mins!! Love Love Love Wexford hospital :)

I couldn't make much out on the mini scanner they had in the room but Doctor said everything looked fine. Head is way up under my boobs which surprised me because I've been feeling most movement up there which I assumed were feet kicking me, but I suppose it could have been little hand punches instead! Or else baby is still very mobile in there and is moving positions.

Just been to Monaghan Hospital for my 32 week placental localisation scan. So, so glad they no longer have a maternity unit - I'd rather give birth in a shed! Appointment for 10 past 11, and they call me in at 20 to 12. They have NONE of my details, insist I can't be on their system as I did not have a scan there before (I protested that 20 weeks ago was rather a long time, but surely I was there somewhere :p ). I had to sign a consent form and have reiterated to me TWICE that I was NOT getting an anomaly scan, and that no fetal abnormalities would be noted at this scan and that I would be receiving NO diagnostic advice or information. They then asked why I was wasting their time with scans when Cavan could do an equally good job (where I am registered to give birth). I had to remind them that it was THEY who kept sending me out appointments for the scans in Monaghan - I never asked for them there!

Then, to top it all off she DESTROYED me in gel from my actual pubic hair to my bra CAKED in it, left me very bruised and tender (and by the feeling of movements Abigail didn't care much for it either) and then exclaimed that it was "useless" taking measurements when the "foetus" was moving. What did she expect her to do, lie still and co-operate??? :mad:
    I got a copy of the results, one of which indicated that her BPD was on the 7th centile and too low. They refused to tell me what it meant, what it stood for and if it would have any effect on my daughter. I had to go home in a flood of tears and Google it, then ring my midwife to be told that it was simply a measurement from ear-to-ear and the reason it was so small was likely because my baby is engaged and being squashed by my pelvis.

Seriously so, so angry right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

My God Shashabear what an awful experience! I'd need therapy after all that. You may get into the bath for a while and do some relaxation breathing.
    Glad your midwife could help you. Will you have to go back to Monaghan again?

My God Shashabear what an awful experience! I'd need therapy after all that. You may get into the bath for a while and do some relaxation breathing.
    Glad your midwife could help you. Will you have to go back to Monaghan again?

Thankfully not! They wanted me to have all my checkups there too but I refused because the waiting times were so horrendous. Mind you, if it was just the waiting times I wouldn't have minded! Only had to go for the 12 week scan and then this one. She didn't even show me my baby's face, didn't even think to tell me my baby had engaged (had to glean this info from the printout she gave me to give to my MW!).

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Thankfully not! They wanted me to have all my checkups there too but I refused because the waiting times were so horrendous. Mind you, if it was just the waiting times I wouldn't have minded! Only had to go for the 12 week scan and then this one. She didn't even show me my baby's face, didn't even think to tell me my baby had engaged (had to glean this info from the printout she gave me to give to my MW!).

Lucky you aren't in the rotunda re waiting times... I had appointment for 2:30pm last week arrived at 2 and finally left at 5pm! 3 bloody hours for a routine checkup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Lucky you aren't in the rotunda re waiting times... I had appointment for 2:30pm last week arrived at 2 and finally left at 5pm! 3 bloody hours for a routine checkup!

And were probably seen for all of 5 minutes when you actually got to see someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

January wrote: »
    And were probably seen for all of 5 minutes when you actually got to see someone.

Scan went like this.. Lie down. Yeah there's the head, heartbeats fine, fluid is fine. See you in two weeks.
    Thank god the midwives have a little more time than the doctors!

Trying to decide whether to buy a breast pump or not. I'm 100% planning on breastfeeding if it works for baby and myself, in which case I plan on investing in a Medela Swing pump. I've seen one for a good price so thinking maybe ill get it now. But then it's a lot of money to spend in case feeding doesn't get established. I have the basic bottle feeding equipment purchased already in order to be as prepared as possible whichever way things go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I've hummed and hawed about buying a pump too Ocean, but I've decided to wait - I'm hoping to breastfeed too and I'm operating on a best-case-scenario assumption i.e. if/when (:D) all goes well I won't need a pump for a while. But when I do get a pump it'll likely be a Medela Swing.

Advertisement