Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Time is marching on now - can't believe this is week 26 for me! All going very smoothly still, apart from some tiredness I can't think of a single thing to complain about.

I'm starting to get organised, my aim is to have as much as possible of the big things (paint babys room, buy furniture etc.) within the next month. I've a weeks holidays after the May Bank Hol and then its full on work until my leave starts so that week needs to be productive!!!

I'm starting to realise I don't really know what I need to buy, and how much. Obviously the big things are straightforward but how many vests, babygros, nappies etc do I need to get to tide me over the first couple of weeks. Any advice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I'm interested in figuring that stuff out, I haven't a notion really! With nappies I got told just buy one pack initially, no point in getting more until you see how big/small baby is and if they suit the ones you have. They're so easy to pick up anyway.

A dozen vests and babygrows, I figure we'll get so many as presents there's no need to get more.

I'm hoping to breastfeed but I'll pick up a couple of bottles to have - I'm veering towards the MAM ones and they have a bf starter kit that includes a manual pump.

A portable changing mat, a bath, loads of muslin cloths and some cellular blankets.

Travel system is ordered and sue for delivery June 1st. Moses basket being provided by MIL (my husband's old one with new bedding)

Jerrica wrote: »
    I'm interested in figuring that stuff out, I haven't a notion really! With nappies I got told just buy one pack initially, no point in getting more until you see how big/small baby is and if they suit the ones you have. They're so easy to pick up anyway.

A dozen vests and babygrows, I figure we'll get so many as presents there's no need to get more.

I'm hoping to breastfeed but I'll pick up a couple of bottles to have - I'm veering towards the MAM ones and they have a bf starter kit that includes a manual pump.

A portable changing mat, a bath, loads of muslin cloths and some cellular blankets.

Travel system is ordered and sue for delivery June 1st. Moses basket being provided by MIL (my husband's old one with new bedding)

Ha, I never even thought of bottles! I'm a disaster :)

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Ha, I never even thought of bottles! I'm a disaster :)

No you're not!! Sure there are SO many things that could go on that list, even if you were to get none of them you'd still manage when the little one comes along. Sure we're all learning as we go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm starting to realise I don't really know what I need to buy, and how much. Obviously the big things are straightforward but how many vests, babygros, nappies etc do I need to get to tide me over the first couple of weeks. Any advice??

I'd be less interested in the quantity, than in the brands and sizes.

For example, you could stock up on twenty Dunnes babygros and then realise, crap, these don't have scratch gloves! To me this doesn't matter 90% of the time, but it does the 10% of the time that he does go at his face. (Dunnes baby clothes in general are great - just not the babygros!)

Boots and Next both have babygros that wash really well and have scratch gloves. Boots often have 3 for 2 offers. Mothercare have great ones too, but more expensive. The babygros in Next are surprisingly inexpensive, compared to most of their baby clothes!

Personally, if I had no idea of size, I'd have one pack of short-sleeve vests in 0-3 month size. And one pack of babygros in Newborn size, and one pack of babygros in 0-3 month size.

And just have your partner/a friend/family member prepped to go out and buy you several vests/babygros - and, most importantly,get them washed and dried for you - before the baby comes home, or soon thereafter.

As a general rule, I'd go for a ratio of two babygros per vest. In my experience they mostly spit up lightly onto their babygro and that's all that needs changing, it doesn't come near to soaking onto their vest (and anyways it's usually through a bib.) I know, you're probably horrified and thinking you'll bath your baby and give him a full change of clothes every time he spits up a little. In reality, no, tbh. :)

Nappies - we're buying Pampers off Amazon, delivered to the door (which is great as long as I'm on maternity leave) and they seem to be working out quite cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Rose1000

Hey there, I havent been on here in a very long time maybe since week 9 and I am now on week 24.
    I have been getting a few bits and pieces too. I have about 9 0-3 months baby grows and vests from Mamas and Papas as I thought the new born size looked very small. I should probably get a few new born ones too though! I also have a breast pump, feeding cushion, moses basket and 4 cellular blankets. This maybe a funny question but do babies usually sleep with a flat sheet underneath their blankets? I don't have a clue :)

I cant really look around the shops too much at the moment as I have SPD. I have been off work for the last week as it is quite painful.
    The hospital prescribed me a codeine based drug and I am going for Physio. I was just wondering if anyone else has SPD or Pelvic Girdle Pain? and if so how did they cope in work? I work in an office and sitting on the chair for 7/8 hours a day has really aggravated it.

I had my big scan a few weeks ago and we found out that there is a slight abnormality with the babies umbilical cord. Most umbilical cords have 3 vessels - 1 vein and 2 arteries, however our one only has 1 vein and 1 artery. The doctor said that they will be monitoring the babys growth closely but to try not to worry. Which is of course impossible! :( Does anyone have the same condition?? Id love to hear your experience if you do have it or have had it in a previous pregnancy. Apparently it effects about 1 in 100 woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Pillow cases are a great fit for Moses basket mattresses, just bought some plain ones and slipped them on and off when changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

January wrote: »
    Pillow cases are a great fit for Moses basket mattresses, just bought some plain ones and slipped them on and off when changing.

Yes, this!

Pillowcases are all we ever used in our pram mattress and Moses basket ... Do NOT waste money on cot mattresses, they'll only last a few weeks. Pillow cases fit perfectly and can be used again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Yes, this!

Pillowcases are all we ever used in our pram mattress and Moses basket ... Do NOT waste money on cot mattresses, they'll only last a few weeks. Pillow cases fit perfectly and can be used again. :)

We bought five, but they were 50c each in SVDP, figured they were as good as any :P

Today - exhaustion and fatigue to the point of being eyed up by security in Dunnes as I wandered aimlessly around the aisles all glassy eyed like a junkie....

Tonight - insomnia :(

Arghhhh!!!!

• Advertisement

The six month mark is getting quite tiring alright!!! Hope you're feeling a little more rested today Ocean :) I'm starting to struggle to put on socks now, and I'm huffing and puffing a lot if I walk up a lot of stairs.

Oh and is anyone else clumsy as heck?? I'm black and blue from walking into doors/.walls/ furniture :o

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

+1 on the exhaustion, although I think I'm VERY lucky that I still sleep like a log. Hope you feel a bit better today, Ocean.

I'm also pretty clumsy as well, feel like a bit of a muppet at times! I struggle a bit with the socks too these days.

Rua1 wrote: »
    +1 on the exhaustion, although I think I'm VERY lucky that I still sleep like a log. Hope you feel a bit better today, Ocean.

I'm also pretty clumsy as well, feel like a bit of a muppet at times! I struggle a bit with the socks too these days.

Thankfully that sort of tiredness is very rare for me! Usually I'm grand, a bit more tired than pre-pregnancy but nothing terrible. I also am still sleeping like a baby most nights, except for last night when I think I let myself get overtired. Should have napped yesterday when I felt so crap!! Lesson learned :)

Just waiting for my bladder to start waking me up at night, not yet but I'm sure its inevitable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just waiting for my bladder to start waking me up at night, not yet but I'm sure its inevitable!!

Oh don't! I normally have a fair idea of the way baby Merkin is lying given the urgency with which I need to go! A few days ago I literally had a more or less constant need to pee and then rushing to the lav only to find that I'd have a pathetic little dribble :o Went for the scan and the little chap had his head to my bladder so it's not wonder the need was constant. Thankfully he's turned and it has eased up.

I really am growing big though. Thankfully I haven't put on much weight anywhere else (bar my comedy boobs) but I am finding it harder to get around. Mr. Merkin kindly informed me that I have developed a waddle. I bought a nice maternity swimming costume which should arrive today and I'm going to concentrate on swimming to keep my fitness up from hereon in. Because my bump is so big I just don't feel steady enough to go for long power walks or treks so I think swimming is probably the best bet for now and should hopefully keep me fit for labour.

We're all nearing the third trimester girls, July will be here before we know it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm sleeping well too except that I have to get up for a pee once early in the morning around 6am. but I usually fall asleep after that, so no complains. Socks are no challenge to me (yet!).
    I went for a scan yesterday, everything is fine, except that it's a boy! and I wanted a girl :cool: baby weights a hefty 873g already. I'm not very surprised with that - I've put on 7.5kg so far and my weight is going up and up every time I step up on the scales (scary!!).

my 25wks bump:
    Mepregnant25wks_zpsa72dba12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Merkin wrote: »
    ...I just don't feel steady enough to go for long power walks or treks so I think swimming is probably the best bet for now and should hopefully keep me fit for labour.

We're all nearing the third trimester girls, July will be here before we know it! :)
    I don't feel comfortable walking at all, even at reasonable pace. my womb hardens, I feel like I have a rock inside me, it's not good. I tried cycling yesterday, oh my poor bottom! I haven't cycled since last October, so it'll take a while for my bottom to get used to it again, plus that extra weight it has to deal with.

and yeah, it's only 3 months left till the D-day, or B-day, I should say. But I'm not scared or even worried about that whole labor thing. and why would I, it's inevitable, I can't do anything about it, thousands of women get over it every day, so will I when my turn comes!

j@utis wrote: »
    I don't feel comfortable walking at all, even at reasonable pace. my womb hardens, I feel like I have a rock inside me, it's not good.

I'm the same. My centre of gravity has shifted I think so I just am not able to pound the pavements like I used to. I also don't want to do anything that stretches my bump if that makes sense? I've managed to avoid any sign of stretch marks so far and I feel something like swimming will be toning but without being really hard on the skin around the bump! You're so neat by the way! I'm all bump but mine is about three times the size of yours! :eek:

First bout of round ligament pain this morning when I turned suddenly in the bed...........Thank goodness it only lasts a second, it nearly brought a tear to my eye!!

Oh poor Ocean! This has happened me a couple of times (when I turn in bed also) and it feels like you've just torn something doesn't it?!:eek:It's such a searing pain although thankfully very transient like you say, it's relatively common so nothing to worry about,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

(not to be taken literally, but)

... and I'd like a side order of early delivery, please.

• Advertisement

Had the GTT this morning. The test itself was grand but so boring due to the sitting around. It was the first (and hopefully last time) I ever drank Lucozade, horrible stuff. After I came out I had something that I needed to do urgently before I could take time to eat and I experienced the most horrible sugar crash. Shaking, feeling faint, hot sweats. Awful feeling so I'm home from Wexford the last while and back in the bed for a power nap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

I have been following the thread for a little while and finally decided to post. Im 27 weeks with my second baby. My little girl is 9.5 months so will be flat out come July. If this baby is half as good as she has been, we'll be flying it :)

Aside from the first 14 weeks of god awful morning sickness, the pregnancy is completely different. I work night duty as a nurse so the tirdeness is a big factor but I have plenty of time off to recuperate and it means I get to sprnd so much time with our little lady.

Some people think we are daft having them so close together and while it wasnt strictly planned we are delighted and so so lucky. I do worry if im up to the task but we'll just get on with it.

I have my GTT on Friday and have a feeling I might be diabetic this time around. Hopefully an unfounded feeling.

Hope all you ladies are feeling well.

Hi dizzymiss :)
    dizzymiss wrote: »
    Some people think we are daft having them so close together and while it wasnt strictly planned we are delighted and so so lucky. I do worry if im up to the task but we'll just get on with it.

For whatever reason, some people have absolutely no qualms about casting judgement on other women's pregnancy. Don't mind them, it's between you and your husband and you're happy and delighted and that's ALL that matters!! Congratulations to you both.

I've heard from a few other mums that first and second pregnancies can be worlds apart, hope your energy levels are back up and a little more normal these days.

Thanks Jerrica, it's such an exciting time be it your first or subsequent pregnancy and honestly enjoying it more this time. July is a lovely time of year to have a baby too, we can get out for walks and enjoy the sunshine (hopefully :))

Threads like these are a great source of comfort and something I enjoy thralling through.

dizzymiss wrote: »
    July is a lovely time of year to have a baby too, we can get out for walks and enjoy the sunshine (hopefully :))

That's the plan :D I'm going for a sling consult tomorrow evening with my husband, I have terribly romantic mental images of walking the park on a lazy sunny summer evening with my gorgeous new baby snuggled against my chest!!

Jerrica wrote: »
    That's the plan :D I'm going for a sling consult tomorrow evening with my husband, I have terribly romantic mental images of walking the park on a lazy sunny summer evening with my gorgeous new baby snuggled against my chest!!

Promise you, it's the nicest feeling in the world. I used a sling for the first few months whilst out walking with our dog. Inward facing first and then forward. As she got bigger she loved being able to see everything and keep a close eye on her furry friend. Mostly use the buggy now as im getting too big as is she but plan on doing the same this time around.

Hello dizzymiss, you're very welcome to the July club! I'm 27 weeks on Thursday so our due dates must be very close! Hope you're feeling ok, my Mum is a nurse and she was just saying yesterday how hard it must be doing long nursing shifts while pregnant so I hope you're managing to get lots of rest and relaxation in between your shifts. I think it's great having bubbas close together, they're great company for each other and they have a ready made little pal at their side for fun and frolics!! :)

I'm feeling good. Had very very slight light pink spotting the other night which freaked me out initially but I think it's because I overdid it so have been taking it easy. Bubba is very busy and growing strong. Am being treated to a pregnancy massage and facial at the spa in Solis Lough Eske and I can't wait for the sheer self indulgence of it!

Thanks Merkin.

Glad you're feeling well. I had a bloody tinge at 20weeks and was a tad freaked out. Turns out it was a bit if cervical erosion and nothing to worry about. Love the idea of a bit of pregnancy pampering. It's always welcomed :) Would love a pedicure. My feet are diabolical :D

I do get plenty of rest and we are lucky enough to have two brilliant grannies who are always willing. And my hysband is the best in the world. Looking forward to finishing up work all the same.

Oh you poor thing, it is frightening. Was told cervical erosion as well and that it's only when there is mucus or heavier bleeding involved that its a cause for concern, not something I wish to repeat though!

Glad you're managing to put your feet up and rest as well, nice having a lovely hubby too, it's such a special time in our marriage waiting for the little fellow to arrive! I love the anticipation.

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »

Glad you're managing to put your feet up and rest as well, nice having a lovely hubby too, it's such a special time in our marriage waiting for the little fellow to arrive! I love the anticipation.

I sound like a proper sap (it's a hormone peak :)) but it really just gets better. We were just looking at some pics I took of her and saying, look at this amazing little thing that we made. We made her. She's in her granny's as im working tonight and my husband is at college. I miss her when she's gone.

Advertisement