Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I bought 4 Minnix X8H boxes & had problems with them in my bedroom only,the X8 would crash after 10 mins or sometimes longer,after a lot of switching boxes back & forth & 2 Months later,I found the problem,the X8H is not compatible with Toshiba TV's,I have 2 Toshiba's & it crashed with both of them.Works perfect with all the other TV's in the house.
    Any explanation would be appreciated or is it just one of those mysteries.

Put a HDMI multi splitter between the Minix box and the TV!

You can get this for under €13, you will be waiting a couple of weeks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

branners69 wrote: »
    Put a HDMI multi splitter between the Minix box and the TV!

You can get this for under €13, you will be waiting a couple of weeks though!

What's that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I already use a 1 in & 4 out splitter & it still crashes,tried direct to tv & same thing happens,it just don't like Toshiba's for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Allyall wrote: »
    I also have the other MXq on it's way over, beside it.

Assuming all the delays are over, they should both be here before or on Friday at the latest, I can post which (if either), I think is better.

They eventually arrived today. That was way too long to have paid for DHL and got stung for customs as well.. :(

I'll set them up and try them out this evening, for anyone that can still remember that far back.

I already use a 1 in & 4 out splitter & it still crashes,tried direct to tv & same thing happens,it just don't like Toshiba's for some reason.

Weird, I thought having a splitter would be a work around! Did you manage to find out why Toshiba tvs?

Any chance you could put a receiver between them?

By the way what are you doing when the Minix crashes - XBMC, browsing etc?

Is the Minix box set to 1080p, can your TVs handle 1080p? Have you tried dropping down to 720p?

• Advertisement

The MXq (hd18q)
    Build number
    KOT49H.20140903 test-keys

Is crashing on everything, including the preinstalled version of XBMC. I took XBMC off and installed another version, it crashed with that too (it wouldn't even open XBMC). I then installed Frodo 12.3 and it loaded up and all seemed fine, but Live TV wouldn't work, and Navi-X had a few issues also.

It crashed on many of the other apps too. I guess a Custom ROM may fix most of the issues, but for now I 'm going to put it aside and try out the other one..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The MXq (hd18q)
    Build number
    KOT49H.20140903 test-keys

Is crashing on everything, including the preinstalled version of XBMC. I took XBMC off and installed another version, it crashed with that too (it wouldn't even open XBMC). I then installed Frodo 12.3 and it loaded up and all seemed fine, but Live TV wouldn't work, and Navi-X had a few issues also.

It crashed on many of the other apps too. I guess a Custom ROM may fix most of the issues, but for now I 'm going to put it aside and try out the other one..

Christ that was a bad stock ROM then. Would I be right on assuming most if not all of Android boxes need a custom ROM?

Weird, I thought having a splitter would be a work around! Did you manage to find out why Toshiba tvs?

Any chance you could put a receiver between them?

By the way what are you doing when the Minix crashes - XBMC, browsing etc?

Is the Minix box set to 1080p, can your TVs handle 1080p? Have you tried dropping down to 720p?

All the tv's can handle 1080p,I have tried 720p,I find that there are 2 different types of crashes,the mild one,which I call it,the video I'm watching stops & goes back to the home page,I get this mild crash on some of the other X8's,depends what link I am streaming.
    The hard crash which I get while connected to the Toshiba's is,the video stops but the audio is still working,powering off from the unit & power back on,the video is still off & the audio is still working,the only way to get it to work again is by pulling the power cord out from the unit,replace it & power it up,I'm back to the home screen.
    The hard crash happens more often on Live TV,about every 10 mins,using istream,it could crash between 10 mins & 2 hrs.
    I have the Minix up to date & also XBMC,I have Gotham 13.2.
    I tried the Minix on a Bush tv,I think its the same as Toshiba,but it works with the Bush,something in the Toshiba is causing this problem,I have tried 4 x Minix X8H on 5 different makes of tv & works great,all 4 x X8H crashed with the 2 x Toshiba's I have.

I did try 2 different receivers.

dahat wrote: »
    Christ that was a bad stock ROM then. Would I be right on assuming most if not all of Android boxes need a custom ROM?
    Kind of... They all need a good ROM. Some of the ones that come from the Chinese shops can be terrible.
    I updated one of the apps on the other box and it also crashed, so maybe that's that app.
    XBMC has loads of stability issues anyway, and that ROM is crashing it.
    I'll update the firmware myself, as I don't see any custom ROMS available for it.

As for the othe box, it seems to be okay, haven't dona e whole lot with it yet. Currently installing one of my XBMC backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Ordered my Minix X-H this morning before work! Will have it tomo! Can't wait! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 thelynchs

DenMan wrote: »
    Ordered my Minix X-H this morning before work! Will have it tomo! Can't wait! :D

DenMan, do you mind if I ask where you ordered from ? Best deal I found was 105 sterling on Amazon. Hoping to get an X-8 next week. Thanks.

thelynchs wrote: »
    DenMan, do you mind if I ask where you ordered from ? Best deal I found was 105 sterling on Amazon. Hoping to get an X-8 next week. Thanks.

Hey!

I ordered it off Smart TV Box. €160. €155 for the box and €5 for next day delivery.

http://www.smarttvbox.ie/

X8-H I should say!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 thelynchs

DenMan wrote: »
    Hey!

I ordered it off Smart TV Box. €160. €155 for the box and €5 for next day delivery.

Thanks DenMan, will check them out. Have to just hope the x-8 passes the Wife test !!

Been seeing good reports on a few XBMC groups on this.

Video Review MyGica Atv1800: http://youtu.be/qpa3ABkg2vA

A bit pricey but looks decent.

I have 4 x Minix X8H around the house & the wifi is brilliant,the only thing that is **** is the air mouse & remote control,it is totally crap,I use a computer wireless mouse & a mini wireless keyboard (not all mice & keyboards will work)more control with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

All the tv's can handle 1080p,I have tried 720p,I find that there are 2 different types of crashes,the mild one,which I call it,the video I'm watching stops & goes back to the home page,I get this mild crash on some of the other X8's,depends what link I am streaming.
    The hard crash which I get while connected to the Toshiba's is,the video stops but the audio is still working,powering off from the unit & power back on,the video is still off & the audio is still working,the only way to get it to work again is by pulling the power cord out from the unit,replace it & power it up,I'm back to the home screen.
    The hard crash happens more often on Live TV,about every 10 mins,using istream,it could crash between 10 mins & 2 hrs.
    I tried the Minix on a Bush tv,I think its the same as Toshiba,but it works with the Bush,something in the Toshiba is causing this problem,I have tried 4 x Minix X8H on 5 different makes of tv & works great,all 4 x X8H crashed with the 2 x Toshiba's I have.

I did try 2 different receivers.

What firmware are you using in the minix. I recently updated to the beta v9 and it's pretty good, definitely the most stable version out there anyway. I have a Toshiba tv in the bedroom. If I get a chance over the weekend I'll connect up to it and see if I can replicate the crash.

Did you update to Beta 9? Have you tried SPMC instead of Gotham?

Have you posted on the Minix Forums, you might get a more informed answer there.

I have 4 x Minix X8H around the house & the wifi is brilliant,the only thing that is **** is the air mouse & remote control,it is totally crap,I use a computer wireless mouse & a mini wireless keyboard (not all mice & keyboards will work)more control with these.

Regarding the Toshiba. I think it may be to do with the refresh/frame rate on the Mali-450 GPU vs the TV.
    Also depending on the age of the TV it might be a HDMI issue.

Have you tried a different ROM? Preferably not the same OS version if possible, although I don't think it is on the Minix X8 yet..

There also should be patches for your current ROM, for the Mali-450.

My new M8 is in Parcel Motel HQ, hoping it arrives overnight to my depot.

Seller has flashed the Mediaman ROM on for me so hoping I have no real issues this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Have a Amazon Fire TV in ParcelMotel waiting for collection, wish I wasn't in work now :-)

So that is my evening sorted trying to build that up...will put up some feedback once I get it up and running

Anyone want to buy a perfect - fully build Minix X8-H? firmware up to correct level.....

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Have a Amazon Fire TV in ParcelMotel waiting for collection, wish I wasn't in work now :-)

So that is my evening sorted trying to build that up...will put up some feedback once I get it up and running

Anyone want to buy a perfect - fully build Minix X8-H? firmware up to correct level.....

You should have hit me up a few days ago...I'd have went for it. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Interested to see your review on this, as I'm torn between this and if the Nexus player pops up here.
    Finding the raspberry pi a bit slow on menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Big Nelly, might be interested, what sort of money are you looking for? Reply via PM if you prefer.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ste- wrote: »
    Interested to see your review on this, as I'm torn between this and if the Nexus player pops up here.
    Finding the raspberry pi a bit slow on menus.

I think it is going to be fun to get XBMC and the other app's up and running.....

But I love a challenge :P

Misses is working nights this weekend so will have loads of time to get it working.....hopefully :D

Did you update to Beta 9? Have you tried SPMC instead of Gotham?

Have you posted on the Minix Forums, you might get a more informed answer there.

My tech skills are exhausted now,I looked for the firmware version,all I could find is the Kernel Version 3.10.33 & the XBMC-13.2 Gotham-ARMEABI-V7a.apk or Root@User-Desktop#6

Is it one of them.

Regarding the Toshiba. I think it may be to do with the refresh/frame rate on the Mali-450 GPU vs the TV.
    Also depending on the age of the TV it might be a HDMI issue.

Have you tried a different ROM? Preferably not the same OS version if possible, although I don't think it is on the Minix X8 yet..

There also should be patches for your current ROM, for the Mali-450.

My TV has 4 hdmi & tried all of them & the tv must be 6 years old.
    As for the Mali-450,I'm lost in this tech world.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

I think it is going to be fun to get XBMC and the other app's up and running.....

But I love a challenge :P

Misses is working nights this weekend so will have loads of time to get it working.....hopefully :D

Just got one of these last week. Didn't take any time to set up - check out the step by step on tvaddons website, which I used (download adbfire to your pc and follow instructions). I had it up and running in a few mins. I didn't bother rooting it but you might want to consider this. Also installed llama which then enables you to link xbmc to an app you dont want on the homepage to save lots of clicks to access xbmc. Mine has worked flawlessly for the last week (using Gotham 13.2).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What do bye guys find is the best way for installing add ons on XBMC?

Would it be Fusion or something Like that?

• Advertisement

What do bye guys find is the best way for installing add ons on XBMC?

Would it be Fusion or something Like that?

Look for Total installer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement