Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

branners69 wrote: »
    I installed Quickshot v2 firmware on my Minix 7 and Beyond xbmc is excellent with it. I also have Gotham xbmc installed but it isnt as stable for me for some reason. I cant remember the last time I used Gotham as Beyond hasnt failed me yet!

I got the Beyond for the Minix 7 from here. There is also a Nexus version, is that what you are using?

I used this version: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407583710

Only one I could find on google.....running this box: http://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6-GHz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-BT-RJ45-External-Wifi-Antenna-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317424.html

After a bit of tweaking on Xbmc I have it running great, that is why I am unsure of Beyond Xbmc.....I tried to have both running at same time on box but they seem to cause problems with each other.....

Update.....info here on version http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?10139-UPDATED-Beyond-XBMC-%28Beta-3-4%29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Got my X8 on Wednesday, only ordered it on Sunday so fantastic service there. Box seems great so far, excellent build quality and feels very solid in your hand compared to the very flimsy, lightweight MX2. Sticking with the stable firmware at the minute even though it has some bugs, can't be bothered with beta's and according to the Minix forum V2 isn't to far away. The box is very very responsive and snappy which is a pleasure coming from the MX2. XBMC works good so far but haven't given it a good road test but will over the weekend. Overall I'm very happy, yes it's a little overpriced but really does feel like a premium product. Let's hope Minix and developers support it well over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Got my X8 on Wednesday, only ordered it on Sunday so fantastic service there. Box seems great so far, excellent build quality and feels very solid in your hand compared to the very flimsy, lightweight MX2. Sticking with the stable firmware at the minute even though it has some bugs, can't be bothered with beta's and according to the Minix forum V2 isn't to far away. The box is very very responsive and snappy which is a pleasure coming from the MX2. XBMC works good so far but haven't given it a good road test but will over the weekend. Overall I'm very happy, yes it's a little overpriced but really does feel like a premium product. Let's hope Minix and developers support it well over the coming months.

Hi What kind of bugs, please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi What kind of bugs, please

The weather widget/app doesn't work for one thing, there's a few other small things but nothing that takes away from the overall experience. Their forums has any issues pointed out, a few seem to be with XBMC but I haven't noticed yet. It's a new box and the firmware is bound to have some teething troubles but they seem to release fixes pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

What's the best way to watch the sports channels on the minix 8?

• Advertisement

threein99 wrote: »
    What's the best way to watch the sports channels on the minix 8?

With your eyes

Can't discuss on thread about illegal streaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Big Nelly wrote: »
    With your eyes

Can't discuss on thread about illegal streaming

So there's no legal way?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

timetogo wrote: »
    So there's no legal way?

Course there is. Pay for a sky sports subscription and use the skygo app.

CinSoots wrote: »
    Course there is. Pay for a sky sports subscription and use the skygo app.

Ah great, the last time I checked SkyGo wouldn't work on the X7.

Which android box are you running the Sky app on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Ah great, the last time I checked SkyGo wouldn't work on the X7.

Which android box are you running the Sky app on?

If it's rooted then the sky app won't work.

• Advertisement

jgbyr wrote: »

My box wasn't rooted. Does it work on yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

My box wasn't rooted. Does it work on yours?

Mine is rooted.

Mine is rooted.

I'm trying to find out what box (non rooted) the Sky app works on. Sky seem to have limited their app to certain devices but CinSoots said they have it working on TV box.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You can temporarily unroot it with SuperSU.

Or use Voodoo OTA Root Keeper (If you are below 4.3)

There are other ways you may want to try.

Hey guys

Anyone use a TV Guide? I was looking at TV Guide Dixie but it looks to have been changed to OnTapp.tv and now they are charging for it.....just wondering are they any use?

Is there still any free versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Hey guys

Anyone use a TV Guide? I was looking at TV Guide Dixie but it looks to have been changed to OnTapp.tv and now they are charging for it.....just wondering are they any use?

Is there still any free versions?

Deleted my post and replying via PM, as grey area...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

Allyall wrote: »

Can you pm me also looking for a good tv guide thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

.......but CinSoots said they have it working on TV box.

No I didn't.

CinSoots wrote: »
    No I didn't.

Sorry. We're in a Android Box thread and it was asked how to get sports TV legally.
    You said use SkyGo. I assumed you were talking from experience. My mistake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Lads I have an MX2 box running xbmc, but everything is buffering lately.

Anyone know how to fix this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

FYI, the MX8 I ordered from Geekbuying on June 7th, which was shipped to me on June 25th arrived this morning. €115 delivered and no customs charged that I'm aware of anyway!!

Included in the €115 was the Minix Neo M1 Air Mouse (which looks pretty snazzy) and a little FOC goody bag which included an all in One for USB 2.0 4 port Hub, an OTG/USB Card Reader, an 8GB micro SDHC card and a Geekbuying branded NFC tag which I'm looking forward to having a play with.

The delay was too long but now that I have it I'm very pleased with the value for money. I would still however be prepared to pay a bit of a premium to the local reseller for after sales support.

Now all I have to do is set it up etc.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Air mouse is very nice, what I find annoying is that when you go to the text entry part of any section of XBMC it forces you to use the mouse instead of the directional arrows for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Air mouse is very nice, what I find annoying is that when you go to the text entry part of any section of XBMC it forces you to use the mouse instead of the directional arrows for some reason.

In XBMC if you go into System>Settings>Input Devices and switch on the "Remote sends keyboard presses" . This will sort that issue for you.

Does the air mouse have keyboard on it? or do you have to scroll around the keyboard if typing in anything?

At the moment I just use Keyboard and mouse because I find it handy to have keyboard to type....pain is having a full sized keyboard sitting around...

I know there is smaller version but havent ordered in yet!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Does the air mouse have keyboard on it? or do you have to scroll around the keyboard if typing in anything?

At the moment I just use Keyboard and mouse because I find it handy to have keyboard to type....pain is having a full sized keyboard sitting around...

Airmouse supplied free with Minix doesn't have the keyboard on the back.

This one does however: http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Mele-Fly-Mouse-F10-3-in-1-Air-mouse---Wireless-mouse---Keyboard---Remote-control-for-Android-smart-TV-HD-Computer-HTPC-306590.html

No it doesn't have a keyboard.

The Minixs allow remote control from their remote app though.
    http://www.minix.com.hk/Apps.htm

I've used that with my X8. Works fine. It's a little bit clunky but miles ahead of trying to type into XBMC using a mouse and all you need for URLs, XBMC configs etc.

I have one of those small sized keyboards (one of these http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/07/12/new-product-miniature-wireless-usb-keyboard-with-touchpad/).

I never use it. The touchpad is average and when pressing keys, because there's little tactile feedback you (or at least I do) can end up typing characters multiple times or not at all. The Minix app is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i use this one which works perfectly

$_35.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

The Minixs allow remote control from their remote app though.
    http://www.minix.com.hk/Apps.htm

Which version works with the X7 and which with the X8? I've read their bump a couple of times and it's not clear to me :o

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Allyall wrote: »

can i get a pm with a guide too please?thanks

• Advertisement

BenThere wrote: »
    Which version works with the X7 and which with the X8? I've read their bump a couple of times and it's not clear to me :o

Ben

Yeah, it could be clearer on that site.

The link near the bottom is for the X8. (http://minix.com.hk/downfile/RC_MINIX.apk)

The Version 2 link is for the X7 (http://minix.com.hk/firmware/RKRemoteControlGeneralCastV2.0.3.apk)

Edit: The links don't seem to work above but work on the Minix site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement