Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Is the CS918 the same as the T-R42?

Yeah it is I think.

I ordered the Mele F10 mouse and the cs918 box from aliexpress. Dhl Shipping. In total it was 91 euro.

Got a shipping email just there too. Ordered it Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭BobMc

bit the bullet went for Minix Neo X-8 looking forward to trying it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Just wondering can you / should you root the Minix X8-H device and put something like open elec on it? If I'm only using XBMC is there any need for android on it at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Just wondering can you / should you root the Minix X8-H device and put something like open elec on it? If I'm only using XBMC is there any need for android on it at all?

XBMC isn't an operating system. It's an app. It needs an OS (Android, Windows, Linux, Mac). Only Android will work on the X8.

As for rooting it. I have an X7. All I used it for was XBMC and a couple of other apps. I had no issue with any videos at all under XBMC so I didn't see any need to root it.

timetogo wrote: »
    XBMC isn't an operating system. It's an app. It needs an OS (Android, Windows, Linux, Mac). Only Android will work on the X8.

As for rooting it. I have an X7. All I used it for was XBMC and a couple of other apps. I had no issue with any videos at all under XBMC so I didn't see any need to root it.

Thanks for that, ya I'm just wondering what the lightest underlying OS would be, android or openelec?

Suppose I'll test away with android, might be things in it that I'd use after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Ordered the Minix X8-H through geekbuying with DHL shipping and got stung for 32 euro in customs so I would definitely recommend the adverts prices, very competitive in fairness.

You can get them for €100 shipped fedex to Ireland + €32 customs, cheapest one on adverts is €155 so you'll save €23 buying from china and even more sometimes if your seller marks it at a lower value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

You can get them for €100 shipped fedex to Ireland + €32 customs, cheapest one on adverts is €155 so you'll save €23 buying from china and even more sometimes if your seller marks it at a lower value

When something goes wrong you then have the hassle of posting to China. I'd prefer paying the extra and being able to return to local seller.

I bought the Minix X8-H yesterday. I know the guy selling them in Waterford.
    Well you would say that seeming as your mate sells them lol, conflict of interests.

Well you would say that seeming as your mate sells them lol, conflict of interests.

In fairness I'd agree with him, China is good for prices, pain in the a$$ for customer support and shipping times.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dlnv27

You could try androidsticks.co.uk. I have got a few of the MX2 boxes from them and the one I had problems with they repaired it online for me .They also have their own add-on for updating the box and I find customer service very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I don't even know the fella. It was my mates friend that sells them. I gain nothing out of it & I couldn't give a fcuk where u get it tbh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

I'd also like to vouch for www.smarttvbox.ie and yes because I know him.The service is quick and reliable.If there are any issues arise with a purchase from him,they get sorted pronto.
    The business is in its early stages,so it will take time before he can get competitive with prices.But he'll go out of his way to help you out.
    So I will stand by him and recommend the business as much as possible.Keep it in the country;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Karen23 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I ordered MX-II RK3188 Quad Core Android 4.2 2GB RAM 8GB ROM TV Box / Mini PC Built-in Bluetooth / Wi-Fi / HDMI and it was delivered today.

Plugged it in tonight and pressed the power button and there is a very faint light but nothing else.

Anyone any idea if there's something else I need to do on the initial set up that I'm missing

Thanks in advance

Did you hear any more, did you have to send it back?

bazzz wrote: »
    I'd also like to vouch for and yes because I know him.The service is quick and reliable.If there are any issues arise with a purchase from him,they get sorted pronto.
    The business is in its early stages,so it will take time before he can get competitive with prices.But he'll go out of his way to help you out.
    So I will stand by him and recommend the business as much as possible.Keep it in the country;)

Good for you helping promote your friends company but I'm all about saving money instead of giving some middleman my hard earned cash when I can buy from the source and pay €55 cheaper if your smart about how you order your goods.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Good for you helping promote your friends company but I'm all about saving money instead of giving some middleman my hard earned cash when I can buy from the source and pay €55 cheaper if your smart about how you order your goods.;)

We'll leave it at that then......He's not just a friend,he's a family member;).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Probably already know the answer to this but other than the Sky Sports streams, can you stream live TV from these? BBC, Channel 4 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Basq wrote: »
    Probably already know the answer to this but other than the Sky Sports streams, can you stream live TV from these? BBC, Channel 4 etc.

Use mobdro

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

and FilmOn

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

toe_knee wrote: »
    Use mobdro
    Actually have that on my Nexus and never used it! :D

Is it reliable / prone to jitter etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Yeah it is I think.

I ordered the Mele F10 mouse and the cs918 box from aliexpress. Dhl Shipping. In total it was 91 euro.

Got a shipping email just there too. Ordered it Sunday evening.

Just got delivered to me there. No duties to be paid. He marked it as a "Sample TV box with Remote control" and the value was 27 dollars

Review to come later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Anyone see this box? looks like same spec as Minix!!

Specs seem good on this, reviews are mostly positive, I think the minix boxes are overpriced for what people are using these android tv boxes for, mainly xbmc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

The remote (from those pictures) doesn't have a play/pause button. I've an X7 and that's an annoying niggle. It means it confuses some users (eg my folks). It not hard to get around but it means you to press a couple of buttons to pause.

Comparing with the X8, the X8 comes with the air mouse, has 16gb rather than 8 gb, has a bigger antenna (dunno if that makes any difference) and has an extra Usb port (which you use up for the air mouse anyway).

None of those make much of a difference if you're only going to use Xbmc.

The X8 is £40 more on Amazon than the M8. To me that's worth it for the extra storage and air mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

CinSoots wrote: »
    Caved in and bought an M8 instead :(

Should be here next week so I'll update then on it!!

M8 has arrived along with a Mele F10 Air Mouse. Grand total of €106 including customs so not bad!

Tried out Mobdro with it and it was flawless. Seemed much better/stable than using it through the Chromecast or Miracast so happy with that. Installed the App that cant be named and streamed a movie in HD and watched a show also in HD. Flawless again!!

Very happy with it. Didnt try out XBMC yet and I intend to flash FInless 1.7 and Oman 13.1 XBMC onto it but it worked fine with the standard firmware. I was also a little worried about heat from reading some reviews and it didnt get very hot at all in actual fact the UPC modem beside it was much much warmer during use so thats another positive. When Ive updated the firmware and played around a little more I will be baclk with more details!

timetogo wrote: »
    The remote (from those pictures) doesn't have a play/pause button. I've an X7 and that's an annoying niggle. It means it confuses some users (eg my folks). It not hard to get around but it means you to press a couple of buttons to pause.

Comparing with the X8, the X8 comes with the air mouse, has 16gb rather than 8 gb, has a bigger antenna (dunno if that makes any difference) and has an extra Usb port (which you use up for the air mouse anyway).

None of those make much of a difference if you're only going to use Xbmc.

The X8 is £40 more on Amazon than the M8. To me that's worth it for the extra storage and air mouse.

I use wireless keyboard/mouse so I just throw the remote back into the box so I don't mind about that.

The 8GB is not a concern as I stream everything so don't use up internal space

Just wondering has anyone else tried this no brand version of this model or previous? any issues with firmware?

CinSoots wrote: »
    M8 has arrived along with a Mele F10 Air Mouse. Grand total of €106 including customs so not bad!

Just wondering where you purchased from? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Basq wrote: »
    Actually have that on my Nexus and never used it! :D

Is it reliable / prone to jitter etc.?

If you have half decent wifi, then you should have smooth reception. Though I would'nt hook it up to a tv, as the picture quality dissipates on the bigger screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

This looks like an interesting alternative to Chromecast, perhaps for a 2nd/bedroom TV which you use from time to time for streaming content form a NAS or casting a sports stream from your phone.

http://www.w2comp.com/itm/727030/90980/HD-Media-Players/Digital-Media-Receivers-(DMR)/Aircast-T516-Miracast-DLNA-Airplay-Android-Windows-Mirror-screen-HDMI-dongle-Chromecast-aircast-t516

I assume this will basically cast anything from your phone/NAS to the stick providing the stick, NAS and phone are all on the same network?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement