Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

BenThere wrote: »
    This looks like an interesting alternative to Chromecast, perhaps for a 2nd/bedroom TV which you use from time to time for streaming content form a NAS or casting a sports stream from your phone.

http://www.w2comp.com/itm/727030/90980/HD-Media-Players/Digital-Media-Receivers-(DMR)/Aircast-T516-Miracast-DLNA-Airplay-Android-Windows-Mirror-screen-HDMI-dongle-Chromecast-aircast-t516

I assume this will basically cast anything from your phone/NAS to the stick providing the stick, NAS and phone are all on the same network?

Ben

Would also like some feedback on this, anyone have one? Does it play anything you throw at it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Pulled the trigger and ordered the MINIX X8 from Futeko for about 138 euro via parcel motel. Was shipped today so should have to by the weekend. Can't wait to retire gbox mx2 piece of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just wondering does anyone use the internal memory on the boxes? I have 8GB and hardly use any of it apart from apps and OS....

Any reason for needing anything bigger than 8GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone use the internal memory on the boxes? I have 8GB and hardly use any of it apart from apps and OS....

Any reason for needing anything bigger than 8GB?

I cant see any need to be honest, I only use the box for streaming so use no storage either

• Registered Users Posts: 6 det750

Hi
    need some help i just got MINIX X8 and I don't really understand the best way to get sport,films etc if there is anyone out there that could help as i'm not very up to date with this. Obviously I have connected to the internet and have filmon but that's about as far as I've got, sounds stupid I know but I thought I could just plug in and it would be ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

det750 wrote: »
    Hi
    need some help i just got MINIX X8 and I don't really understand the best way to get sport,films etc if there is anyone out there that could help as i'm not very up to date with this. Obviously I have connected to the internet and have filmon but that's about as far as I've got, sounds stupid I know but I thought I could just plug in and it would be ready to go.

XBMC has all the movies and tv shows, Showbox has the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Do a youtube/google on how to get the most out of xbmc.

It should show you what you need to install etc.

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Do a youtube/google on how to get the most out of xbmc.

It should show you what you need to install etc.

Sent PM with some info.....

If looking for more details fire a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I'm also in the same boat. I don't think I am getting the best out of my box, any chance of that PM with some advice also please?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6 det750

Think you sent the pm to Big Nelly would you forward on to me, as any tips and advise would be great. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i've got a box arriving soon. I think i know what to put on it, but a copy of that PM would be great , thanks.

If your looking for a deal on an xbmc box you wont get much better than below

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/H5-BOX-RK3188-1-6GHz-Quad-Core-Android-4-2-2-2G-16G-TV-BOX-with-Bluetooth-4-0-RJ45-2-4G-5G-Dual-Band-WIFI-Clock-XBMC-HDMI-FHD-1080P-Mini-PC---Black-329450.html

Spec is good, not sure if Rk3188 proper proc or T version, tried to ask question but nobody coming back on live chat

Also to get it shipped via DHL is 8.73

Only 500 in stock and limited time......

Wondering myself if I will pull the trigger on it for spare room

Edit: quick update, got the chat working and proper RK3188 processor

oh now can I buy and hide from wife :-)

Doing a bit of digging around and found "Beyond Xbmc", anyone heard of this or using it?

It is Xbmc for the Rockchip 3088 and 3188 processors, so no good for all the X8 people on here, but I know there is a good install with the RK processor so wondering does anyone use?

I have downloaded and might give it a try later on today

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Can't receommend Beyond XBMC enough.
    Install the latest Beta...and thats it.
    All main add ons are pre installed...except maybe MashUp I think.
    Use it on the X7.

uRbaN wrote: »
    Use it on the X7.

Will fire it up later and see how I get on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Right just put my best foot forward, dented my bank account and bought an X8 off of Amazon, should have it next week..

Looking forward to getting it and trying to get everything running smoothly!

Was going to get it off the waterford company but my paypal is acting up :/...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

uRbaN wrote: »
    Use it on the X7.

Can Beyond XBMC be used on the X8?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

BenThere wrote: »
    Can Beyond XBMC be used on the X8?

Ben

Yeah it can Ben. Its the Gotham edition which is on mine. It came pre installed though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Yeah it can Ben. Its the Gotham edition which is on mine. It came pre installed though

Cheers Lucky. I'm looking forward to installing my X8..........if I ever get it. I ordered it on June 8th, it was shipped on June 28th and I still haven't received it. :(

When I ordered it the local re-seller (who has a family member on this thread) was just starting and hadn't any X8's in stock. Although he (naturally) charges a premium over Geekbuying for holding stock locally and giving local support etc I would happily pay that premium in future rather than have the messing around I've had thus far from Geekbuying.

I bet if I ordered an X8 from the local guy today I'd have it before the one I ordered on Geekbuying on June 8th :o

C'est la vie I guess.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Could you send me a PM?Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

Saw this on hduk http://www.futeko.com/products/MP053.php
    Might be of help to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Bit the bullet and bought a Tronsmart A928 nearly 2 months ago, arrived this week !

Just spent the last couple of evenings playing around with it and trying to get different apps up and running.

Re: XBMC, is it possible to have XMBC see an external hard drive that I have connected to the box ?
    Is there an add-on I need to download ?

Also is it normal for XBMC to run a little slow sometimes ?
    Would running apps like Atorrent in the background affect the speed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

will56 wrote: »
    Bit the bullet and bought a Tronsmart A928 nearly 2 months ago, arrived this week !

Just spent the last couple of evenings playing around with it and trying to get different apps up and running.

Re: XBMC, is it possible to have XMBC see an external hard drive that I have connected to the box ?
    Is there an add-on I need to download ?

Also is it normal for XBMC to run a little slow sometimes ?
    Would running apps like Atorrent in the background affect the speed ?

You should see an Add sources option in your videos / music / pictures folders. When you click that you can browse to your external HDD. As long as it's picked up in Android it'll appear somewhere in that folder list. Once you find it and add it, it'll ask you what type of media is in the folder (TV / Movies) so it can scrape information about the files from sources such as IMDB.
    Once you add the source it'll appear in your videos list forever.
    You can add USB keys, hard drives, network shares etc. etc.

As for running slow I've only really found mine to be slow when browsing Add Ons such as Icefilms but that's because it's going off to the internet and dependent on the remote servers.

I dunno about running Atorrent at the same time. That's probably using up your bandwidth so if you're streaming that might affect video playback.

Got my X8 last week and have been playing with it. I got it from Amazon from a supplier who shipped from China so that was a bit annoying but it came without any hassle after 3 weeks.

The airmouse isn't bad. It's not as good as a mouse but for the odd item like passwords or web addresses it's fine and I don't feel the need to keep a mouse plugged into the box. A handy point about the airmouse is that it's wireless rather than infrared so I have my box out of sight.

The new fancy launcher is OK. It's not very customisable.
    E.g. when you see this http://minixneox8.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Minix-Launcher.png
    you would think that pressing XBMC opens up XBMC. Nope. It opens up a submenu of your video players. It's a niggle and a first world problem. I'd like to be able to configure a couple of buttons to open apps rather than submenus and then have other buttons with submenus. However I couldn't find any configuration for the layout or functions of the buttons. So I default back to the standard launcher and just put my 5 or 6 apps on the homescreen.

I have mine set up for WiFi (using UPC) and any videos I've streamed using "those apps that shall not be named" have been pretty flawless.

On my phone & tablet I've purchased Yatse. It allows you to control XBMC from your mobile device. It also allows you to play video from certain apps to XBMC. It seems to just send the URL to XBMC and then XBMC goes off and fetches the content and plays away. Pretty seamless.

I leave mine on 24 X 7 and it's been on for a week and its still cool to the touch.

I got the 16GB version. I don't think I'll ever use more than the 8GB but the price difference isn't all that much between the 8GB and 16GB.

I've seen the X7 in use and comparing it to the X8, they seem exactly the same. I know the X8 has an updated chipset but the X7 I saw had XBMC working flawlessly on it too. I suppose there's a difference if you try to play 4K video. That's not something I really need to do.

I think I may be getting one of these for my folks. With boxes like these Smart TVs are dead. They're cheapish, easily upgradable with software and replaceable (without replacing your TV).

I followed the instructions on here to install every Add On for XBMC. This will keep you busy. His accent is a bit mad but it's a good video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GYXPm5fENw

timetogo wrote: »
    You should see an Add sources option in your videos / music / pictures folders. When you click that you can browse to your external HDD. As long as it's picked up in Android it'll appear somewhere in that folder list. Once you find it and add it, it'll ask you what type of media is in the folder (TV / Movies) so it can scrape information about the files from sources such as IMDB.
    Once you add the source it'll appear in your videos list forever.
    You can add USB keys, hard drives, network shares etc. etc.

As for running slow I've only really found mine to be slow when browsing Add Ons such as Icefilms but that's because it's going off to the internet and dependent on the remote servers.

I dunno about running Atorrent at the same time. That's probably using up your bandwidth so if you're streaming that might affect video playback.

I've tried adding sources but doesn't seem to show the HDD.
    The drive shows up when I browse to my folders using ES Explorer or just the normal explorer app on the machine.

Might try again this evening before I load any other apps

will56 wrote: »
    I've tried adding sources but doesn't seem to show the HDD.
    The drive shows up when I browse to my folders using ES Explorer or just the normal explorer app on the machine.

Might try again this evening before I load any other apps

Just had a look at mine.
    I started XBMC, then went to Videos, Files, then Add Videos

When I went to Add Videos I went to Browse

Then on the listing of sources I went to Root Filesystem. Note there was an External Storage menu option. My drive didn't appear in there. Dunno why.

Once you choose Root Filesystem you'll see all of your folders.

I found my external drive in
    /storage/external_storage/sda1

The drive I tried was formatted as NTFS. I don't know what filesystems are preferred, but that worked anyway.

Thanks I'll give that a go this evening

Hey Guys

Just wondering what the difference between Xbmc and Beyond xbmc? is it just it runs better with the RK chip? it wont coexist with version of xbmc I am running so just wondering should I uninstall and start with Beyond xbmc and set up to the way I like?

I have it running on Nexus but dont see much difference in speed!

timetogo wrote: »
    Just had a look at mine.
    I started XBMC, then went to Videos, Files, then Add Videos

When I went to Add Videos I went to Browse

Then on the listing of sources I went to Root Filesystem. Note there was an External Storage menu option. My drive didn't appear in there. Dunno why.

Once you choose Root Filesystem you'll see all of your folders.

I found my external drive in
    /storage/external_storage/sda1

The drive I tried was formatted as NTFS. I don't know what filesystems are preferred, but that worked anyway.

Found the drive under root filesystem /mnt. Managed to pull in my library but then it crashed.
    Could my hard drive be causing problems as it's a couple of years old now 5+?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

Hey Guys

Just wondering what the difference between Xbmc and Beyond xbmc? is it just it runs better with the RK chip? it wont coexist with version of xbmc I am running so just wondering should I uninstall and start with Beyond xbmc and set up to the way I like?

I have it running on Nexus but dont see much difference in speed!

I installed Quickshot v2 firmware on my Minix 7 and Beyond xbmc is excellent with it. I also have Gotham xbmc installed but it isnt as stable for me for some reason. I cant remember the last time I used Gotham as Beyond hasnt failed me yet!

I got the Beyond for the Minix 7 from here. There is also a Nexus version, is that what you are using?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement