Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Just about to order this

anyone be able to help me out and let me know if thats a better box or will I stick with the Dazzle

I doubt it's really £40 off. The S805 boxes seem to average €45 - €50. The Dazzle has probably more users, so may have a bigger/better community should anything go wrong that is specific to that box.
    corwill wrote: »
    My MINIX Neo X8-H Plus won't switch on, after a couple of months intermittent use. Any chance it's just the power supply?

I haven't really gone at it to investigate it, as I dislocated my right shoulder at the weekend, but I'm fairly confident everything is plugged in properly.

Try booting it without a HDMI cable attached, if it boots, leave it for about 10 minutes to ensure it boots fully and is staying on.
    Power it off, unplug it, reattach HDMI and try to power it on now.

Also try a different HDMI cable.

If that doesn't work than it may be power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Allyall wrote: »
    Try booting it without a HDMI cable attached, if it boots, leave it for about 10 minutes to ensure it boots fully and is staying on.
    Power it off, unplug it, reattach HDMI and try to power it on now.

Also try a different HDMI cable.

If that doesn't work than it may be power supply.

Cheers, I'll give that a shot once I have two functioning arms again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I've set up a couple of those Dazzle boxes for friends,they work grand.They've always been £39.99 so the £40 off is a bit misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭Invincible

Bluetooth keyboard available Thursday next in lidl, 3 yr guarantee, €19.99

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=26037

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

The mx3 box below seems to be around the same price with an extra gig of ram. Hasn't got a many good reviews a the dazzle but think that's because they didn't know how to use the box.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00OQ35BPG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1433578946&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=Mx3&dpPl=1&dpID=41cUDCNwK4L&ref=plSrch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The mx3 box below seems to be around the same price with an extra gig of ram. Hasn't got a many good reviews a the dazzle but think that's because they didn't know how to use the box.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00OQ35BPG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1433578946&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=Mx3&dpPl=1&dpID=41cUDCNwK4L&ref=plSrch

Chinese dispatch though, probably best going Chinese route yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

corwill wrote: »
    My MINIX Neo X8-H Plus won't switch on, after a couple of months intermittent use. Any chance it's just the power supply?

I haven't really gone at it to investigate it, as I dislocated my right shoulder at the weekend, but I'm fairly confident everything is plugged in properly.

A possible way to check out the power supply is to plug it in somewhere convenient.
    If you put your ear to it you should hear a faint humming sound.
    If you hear a ticking sound then the power supply is bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

looking back over thread, nearly decided on purchase but it looks like it doesn't have H.265 support, is this really an issue? it has H.264 support...
    No idea what H.265 is but see if mentioned by a good few people

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lads I have a Fire TV box and side loaded kodi and it works great almost instantaneously loads Kodi very little buffering . I wanted to pick one up for my Dad but the price is to high, I want to pick up an Andriod box that will run Kodi as well if not better. Would a monie Dazzle be a good choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Lads I have a Fire TV box and side loaded kodi and it works great almost instantaneously loads Kodi very little buffering . I wanted to pick one up for my Dad but the price is to high, I want to pick up an Andriod box that will run Kodi as well if not better. Would a monie Dazzle be a good choice?

I use the sunvision x4 and it rock solid.the dazzle is a clone of it so same box.iv sold over 600 of sumvision box's and never got 1 back for warranty.and I find sumvision great for firmware updates.also the x4 can run openelec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

massy086 wrote: »
    I use the sunvision x4 and it rock solid.the dazzle is a clone of it so same box.iv sold over 600 of sumvision box's and never got 1 back for warranty.and I find sumvision great for firmware updates.also the x4 can run openelec

where u sell / how much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Why not try the FireTV stick. I just got one and am happy with it so far.
    I've been using a Minix X8 for the last year as my main box with Kodi on it. I thought I'd try the Amazon stick as it was so cheap and I wanted to try it out for my folks (it cost me €37 from Amazon + €3.95 for Parcel Motel). It's a bit pricier now. It was on sale last week. I should have bought more.

I sideloaded Kodi on it by mainly following the video here.
    http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Fire_TV

I followed the instructions here to install Llama.
    http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-shortcut-on-amazon-fire-tv/

That installed Llama but didn't start Kodi on boot. I read this article and set up a new event.
    http://sideloadfiretv.com/add-kodi-xbmc-icon-to-fire-tvs-home-screen/

Now Kodi starts up after about 15 seconds once the box reboots. That's fool proof enough for my folks.

So now when I boot up the stick it just brings me Kodi. If I press Home it brings me to the FireLauncher which only has Kodi in the menu (handy for parents).

All in all that took me 20 minutes.

Then I ran the backup program in Kodi to back up my repositorys and add ons to a network share from my Minix box and restored it all to the FireTV. There are a couple of add ons where the video plays within 2 seconds so I've tried those on my Minix & FireTV stick and the performance is pretty spot on.

I'm on UPC so my internet is pretty good and the Amazon stick is in a room at the other end of the house on WiFi. I'm pretty happy with it.

The remote you get with it is pretty good too.

On a related note the Netflix that comes with the Firestick works great with the remote. When I installed Netflix on my Minix from the app store it was the normal phone / tablet version so it was configured for touch input and didn't work great on the Minix box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭Invincible

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    looking back over thread, nearly decided on purchase but it looks like it doesn't have H.265 support, is this really an issue? it has H.264 support...
    No idea what H.265 is but see if mentioned by a good few people

http://www.winxdvd.com/resource/h265-vs-h264.htm

timetogo wrote: »
    Why not try the FireTV stick. I just got one and am happy with it so far.
    I've been using a Minix X8 for the last year as my main box with Kodi on it. I thought I'd try the Amazon stick as it was so cheap and I wanted to try it out for my folks (it cost me €37 from Amazon + €3.95 for Parcel Motel). It's a bit pricier now. It was on sale last week. I should have bought more.

I sideloaded Kodi on it by mainly following the video here.
    http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Fire_TV

I followed the instructions here to install Llama.
    http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-shortcut-on-amazon-fire-tv/

That installed Llama but didn't start Kodi on boot. I read this article and set up a new event.
    http://sideloadfiretv.com/add-kodi-xbmc-icon-to-fire-tvs-home-screen/

Now Kodi starts up after about 15 seconds once the box reboots. That's fool proof enough for my folks.

So now when I boot up the stick it just brings me Kodi. If I press Home it brings me to the FireLauncher which only has Kodi in the menu (handy for parents).

All in all that took me 20 minutes.

Then I ran the backup program in Kodi to back up my repositorys and add ons to a network share from my Minix box and restored it all to the FireTV. There are a couple of add ons where the video plays within 2 seconds so I've tried those on my Minix & FireTV stick and the performance is pretty spot on.

I'm on UPC so my internet is pretty good and the Amazon stick is in a room at the other end of the house on WiFi. I'm pretty happy with it.

The remote you get with it is pretty good too.

On a related note the Netflix that comes with the Firestick works great with the remote. When I installed Netflix on my Minix from the app store it was the normal phone / tablet version so it was configured for touch input and didn't work great on the Minix box.

YeAh I was going to get the fire TV stick but missed out on the £25 price at £35 it's not such a great deal when for £43 you can get a standalone quad core box

massy086 wrote: »

Reading up on it seems ok the remote seems to be the weak link in the package

Reading up on it seems ok the remote seems to be the weak link in the package

Most users end up with a new remote or mini keypad anyway.

Think I'll buy one just cos its different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-MXIII-Android-4-4-2-TV-Box-Amlogic-S802-Quad-Core-2G-8G-HDMI-BT4-0-2-4G-5G-802-11a-b-g-n-LAN-XBMC-OTG--UK-Plug-344111.html

Good idea? I'm new to Android boxes, would this be a good start?

Slow delivery not a major problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Yes that is a great starter box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

corcaigh07 wrote: »

why the dodgy (affiliate tracking) link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

neacy69 wrote: »

Just noticed that, not really sure, I was only linking from Geekbuying so I'm guessing it's a sneaky move from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

neacy69 wrote: »
    I think it is a new Boards thing

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Lads, wondering would anyone be able to help out? Getting no letters on the on screen keypad for Kodi on my Fire tv, just blank.

Thanks

Lads, wondering would anyone be able to help out? Getting no letters on the on screen keypad for Kodi on my Fire tv, just blank.

Thanks

What build of Kodi is it, and what skin?

From here
    The virtual keyboard which included in Kodi has been the same for many years, with a set layout. From this alpha release, it’s now possible to change the layout to some well of the well known ones, like QWERTY and AZERTY. Additionally there’s also a Hebrew and Bulgarian layout included. Important: As an affect of this change you will notice that most of the third-party skins will now have a blank keyboard layout as they have not been updated yet.

Skins Compatibility List - Sorry, that's the wrong list. I'll see if I can find the correct one, but I'm on mobile.

Thanks

There is a fix within XUNITY Maintenance section.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Tried my box on a smaller 22 inch TV, now back on the main TV and it won't recognise the input at all.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Tried my box on a smaller 22 inch TV, now back on the main TV and it won't recognise the input at all.

Any ideas?

Make sure your tv is supports the resolution set in the box. If not change the setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Thanks Allyall, my system has Kodi 14.2, and Aeon Nox.

Aeon Nox doesn't have a problem with keyboard that I know of.
    dahats post about a fix will probably do it.
    I remember when XBMC android was in early stages, it was a problem but I haven't seen it happening in a long time. I just had a quick look there and it obviously has been an issue, as there are a few videos (probably pointing at the same fix as dahat).

Same set up and no issue but the fix in Xunity will correct your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Ok so I have set up my box and entered kodi but there is nothing inside where do I download everything from no links, I spent 3 hrs at it last night I haven't a clue I thought it would be pre installed and update its self? or am I wrong?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement