Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

That looks weird and interesting. Has a dual boot, $124 on geekbuying, decent enough price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Looking to get the MX3 2G.

Is geekbuying the best / fastest place to get same.

Thanks

Bought one of those on Ebay and got it sent via Parcel motel
    Had it in a couple of days.
    Great box.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dahat wrote: »
    Can a decent keypad (not Logitech) be gotten in bricks n mortar shop? Mine went all smokey just now....buggered I'd say!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95704341&postcount=153

Courtesy of BA,reduced to a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I've a two year old Minix X7 which has served me well. I use it mostly for XBMC including streaming content over Wifi from a local NAS.

I invested in a Minix Neo A2 mouse http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEO-A2.html when I bought the X7 and it was a bit of a disaster as the X7 kept setting the A2 mouse as the sound output - the A2 has a speaker to facilitate voice controls/Skype etc.

Anyway, the A2 was lost some time ago and replaced by a Logitech K400 which works great.

Unfortunately the device somehow reset sound output back to the A2 and although I can change it back in Sound Device Manager I am unable to complete the 2nd part of the process which requires me to go into the Minix Advanced Settings app and turn "No output to USB audio" to "On" and "Digital audio auto-detection" to "Off" as someone seems to have deleted the bloody Minix Advanced Settings App.

Here's the info about firmware etc on the X7

ao3v2o.jpg

And here's a screen shot I took from the how the Minix Advanced Settings app is supposed to be set to deal with this problem - it was occurring frequently so I saved this screenshot as a reference for what to do!!

2vnhukx.jpg

What I'd like to do in order of preference is

1. Somehow figure out a way to delete the A2 as a listed device/mouse, install the Minix Advanced Settings app and fix the problem without having to resort to....

2. Do a factory reset to see if that deletes the A2 as a device/mouse and reinstalls the Minix Advanced Settings app. If It does it means I have to reinstall XBMC, Nova launcher and 20 or so apps. Not the end of the world but would prefer not to have to do it. BTW, if I have to go this route I'd appreciate a steer on how to do a factory reset, I never did it on a media box/X7 before. Well used to doing it on Android phones but not on media boxes.

or

3. Reflash the Rom/New Rom and start from scratch. If I have to go this route are there any recommendations for ROM's other than the official Minix one?

Thanks for reading. Sorry about the long post.

^^ anyone got any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

^^ anyone got any suggestions?

These guys might be able to advise
    http://www.minixforum.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Hey, have a looking around and found the following from a website....anyone have any experience? It is coming in at $90 or am I better going with Pipo for extra $24?

It keeps mentioning gaming but I would guess very few games would play on these with the spec?

Wintel W8 Dual Boot Intel Mini PC Windows8.1 Android 4.4 Z3735F Quad Core 64Bit TV Box HDMI 2G/32G Bluetooth 4.0
    CPU:Atom Z3735F
    GPU:Intel HD Graphic(Gen7)
    2GB RAM +32GB Nand Flash
    Windows 8.1 with Bing,Android4.4 Dual OS
    Multilingual support
    Support USB Wire/WiFi 2.4G Wireless Keyboard,Mouse,Air mouse
    WIFI 802.11b/g/n+BT 4.0
    Capable of maintaining a normal temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Hey, have a looking around and found the following from a website....anyone have any experience? It is coming in at $90 or am I better going with Pipo for extra $24?

It keeps mentioning gaming but I would guess very few games would play on these with the spec?

Wintel W8 Dual Boot Intel Mini PC Windows8.1 Android 4.4 Z3735F Quad Core 64Bit TV Box HDMI 2G/32G Bluetooth 4.0
    CPU:Atom Z3735F
    GPU:Intel HD Graphic(Gen7)
    2GB RAM +32GB Nand Flash
    Windows 8.1 with Bing,Android4.4 Dual OS
    Multilingual support
    Support USB Wire/WiFi 2.4G Wireless Keyboard,Mouse,Air mouse
    WIFI 802.11b/g/n+BT 4.0
    Capable of maintaining a normal temperature

Looks like a pretty generic spec for these type of boxes with a z3735f Atom processor, you'll find many iterations of these coming from chinese suppliers. You haven't provided a link, so its difficult to know which one you mean.

On that basis, I'd be looking to the supplier and whether theres any nightmare stories about them, rather than the specs really.

Looks like a pretty generic spec for these type of boxes with a z3735f Atom processor, you'll find many iterations of these coming from chinese suppliers. You haven't provided a link, so its difficult to know which one you mean.

On that basis, I'd be looking to the supplier and whether theres any nightmare stories about them, rather than the specs really.

I looked back over thread and I didn't think you could link anymore? seems to be warnings or bans if you provide links?

It is just called Wintel W8 on website. No feedback on website. The website is having a 3rd anniversary sale and I found it on that....

I looked back over thread and I didn't think you could link anymore? seems to be warnings or bans if you provide links?

It is just called Wintel W8 on website. No feedback on website. The website is having a 3rd anniversary sale and I found it on that....

Yeah, I know the site you're referring to, I don't think reference or links to them are prohibited. Anyway, Check out freaktab and youtube for reviews, you may find some in either of those places.

Theres a review on here, not sure what he means with the Windows with Bing, as far as I know some of the guys on here bought the Pipo X7 with bing, and it worked out OK with them.

He also says it wouldn't replace his Roku box, I've never had a Roku, but with Kodi installed, I'm sure it'd be good enough as a Home theatre box of sorts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NlrFoqKfHs

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Guys new to this but have done a good bit of reading - Has anyone got a good recommendation (Including Link!) for one of these boxes ?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know the site you're referring to, I don't think reference or links to them are prohibited. Anyway, Check out freaktab and youtube for reviews, you may find some in either of those places.

Theres a review on here, not sure what he means with the Windows with Bing, as far as I know some of the guys on here bought the Pipo X7 with bing, and it worked out OK with them.

Thanks, do any of these boxes run games ok? like older version of Battlefield etc? I know none of the newer games but just wondering.....

Thanks, do any of these boxes run games ok? like older version of Battlefield etc? I know none of the newer games but just wondering.....

No idea, I've a Minix, but use it only for streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I've a 808b+ it plays asphalt 8 "top screen resolution "perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

GY A1 wrote: »
    Wetek play is full name
    It's getting good support, comes with either a terrestrial tuner or twin sat tuners or plain box also.
    Allyall wrote: »
    I've had a couple of them, you can buy the dual tuner for €10.
    It's the exact same hardware as the MX2 except for the tuners and only 4GB storage.
    Forget filling up kodi and using Android apps though, cleaner needs to be set to run automatically, and even then it still fills pretty quick.
    Openelec can be dual-booted from a micro SD.
    The wetek roms are buggy, real buggy.

It does have a good internet channel list that you can change the order on, but there are better options available. The IPTV can get irritatingly slow.
    Support is okay.

There are a lot of better options available.
    I'd say part of the reason most people haven't heard of it over here is because it's not a very attractive resell package, and it's not a €130 box imo.

:mad::mad:

Anyone getting a wetek play, prepare for non stop crap. Any problems are compounded by storage limitations, kodi build is very buggy, openelec is limited.

If I thought I could offload these now, I would. I may try.

I think I got them in March or February.
    I ignored the first review on cnx software, and even the 2nd review that was requested wasn't all that favourable.
    A few random reviews did say there were bugs, but updates might iron them out.

I think they're a long way away.
    Way too much of my time wasted on them. The Wetek Play 3 might be decent. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Anyone have any links so I can give myself a run down on the basics of these boxes? Looking to get one for my living room, im pretty alright with rooting etc andriod phones so I just need some tips to get started and weither im better off buying a box or building my own

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭Invincible

Anyone have any links so I can give myself a run down on the basics of these boxes? Looking to get one for my living room, im pretty alright with rooting etc andriod phones so I just need some tips to get started and weither im better off buying a box or building my own

Buy a box and load it up yourself with whatever add-ons you like. Reviews for most boxes on YouTube, look up Freaktab too for feedback.

Cool, any recommend sites for buying one off or they all pretty much the same

Amazon,aliexpress,geekbuying.If ordering from China be prepared to wait longer than delivery from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Tronsmart MXIII is €46 on Geekbuying with code MXIII20

This arrived yesterday hopefully will be plug and play will know tonight

For quick delivery try this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobie-Amlogic-Cortex-A5-Android-Streaming/dp/B00Q8DWZQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433290913&sr=8-1&keywords=mobie+dazzle+s805

Qualifies for supersaver delivery too.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

Looks pretty good, not too bothered about quick delivery though, not a bad price though

Been reading up a good bit on these all morning. There's just so many boxes to choose from, is there any box that really stands out?

Tronsmart MXIII for £2 more with free delivery is a better box with S802 chip from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I have a Minix Neo X8-H, and want to update it.

It is on the original firmware (001 I think) so it can't do an OTA update. I am unsure how to upgrade to the latest version though. Is it just as easy as downloading the firmware 5 and then going into settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

I have a Minix Neo X8-H, and want to update it.

It is on the original firmware (001 I think) so it can't do an OTA update. I am unsure how to upgrade to the latest version though. Is it just as easy as downloading the firmware 5 and then going into settings?

Check out http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x8-x8-plus-x8-h-official-firmware-005-20150507.5849/

Full instructions on how to upgrade etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Okay, thanks for that. A little confused on how to do it though. I have downloaded the firmware onto an SD card in the Minix. I don't have an available laptop etc, or a USB keyboard, so don't think I can use the USB_Burning_Tool, and the other method I see seems to need a USB connected keyboard? Or am I wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

i think there is an usb method as well, use update app on box.

Invincible wrote: »
    Tronsmart MXIII for £2 more with free delivery is a better box with S802 chip from Amazon.

Has anyone noticed that some sellers suddenly change their delivery policies on Amazon,got several boxes from one seller then boom,no longer delivers to Ireland,the same with another box that was linked to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Has anyone noticed that some sellers suddenly change their delivery policies on Amazon,got several boxes from one seller then boom,no longer delivers to Ireland,the same with another box that was linked to here.

Use Parcel Motel address then. That is risky as well though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

My MINIX Neo X8-H Plus won't switch on, after a couple of months intermittent use. Any chance it's just the power supply?

I haven't really gone at it to investigate it, as I dislocated my right shoulder at the weekend, but I'm fairly confident everything is plugged in properly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement