Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

donegal. wrote: »
    re: torrenting

is there any way i can search for a torrent on my phone (for example when i'm in work) and have download on my minix x8 at home ?

I had this question a while ago. It is possible but can be convoluted.
    The only way I found to make it work involved using dropbox and running syncing apps to move the torrent file and then using a torrent downloader to watch a folder for torrents

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

sounds very complicated for the very limited amount i'd use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

donegal. wrote: »
    sounds very complicated for the very limited amount i'd use it

Thats the conclusion I came to.
    You can alway download the torrent file then use ES file explorer to transfer it to the Minix when you get home

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Hey all. I am interested in getting one of these Android boxes for kodi. Whats the best value one to get delivered. I've read the thread to find several different models. I don't know which one to buy? Advice needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Indeed, watch till the end, or you can also highlight the programme, and right click/ C Key on it, then click "watched".

neither of them worked for me before, the only show i had that problem with was better call saul though

not sure if this is still relevant for trakt
    pirates-expose-their-download-habits-through-trakt

i used to use series guide a lot, on it's own, but not as much now. i find it's pointless for shows that already aired, all the infos in the kodi plugins. still useful enough for current shows

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Hey all. I am interested in getting one of these Android boxes for kodi. Whats the best value one to get delivered. I've read the thread to find several different models. I don't know which one to buy? Advice needed.

There is probably a thousand different models mentioned on this thread, back to my first T-R42 to the now top of range Minix models.

It does depend on a number of factors
    What do you want box for?
    Plan on using as full media centre?
    Android/Windows preference?
    Budget?

If you have a standard laptop/desktop you can install and get up and running with Kodi on it. Then use youtube and just look for Kodi wizards or get video on how to install Total Installer. Total installer will let you quickly search and then install add on's without having to link to everything which was main problem when I started. Always worth running it on laptop first to see if you will actually use or if you can get used to the GUI.

Just one thing to note, if work laptop/desktop do not install as it will raise massive alarm bells with any security software in companies.....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Just thought people might be interested Amazon Fire Sticks now only £25 sterling on Amazon.co.uk site. Well worth it I think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-W87CUN-Fire-TV-Stick/dp/B00KAKUN3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432119774&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+fire+tv+stick

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Just thought people might be interested Amazon Fire Sticks now only £25 sterling on Amazon.co.uk site. Well worth it I think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-W87CUN-Fire-TV-Stick/dp/B00KAKUN3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432119774&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+fire+tv+stick

Do they work OK in Ireland?
    Also they wont ship to irish address so would probably need to use ParcelMotel

Have they fixed the issue yet where you can't link kodi on the main menu?

neacy69 wrote: »
    Do they work OK in Ireland?
    Also they wont ship to irish address so would probably need to use ParcelMotel

Oh yes of course, Parcel Motel is a definite, but they do work and Kodi can be side loaded, so all good.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote: »

Give me a minute Nelly I'll check this out with a FB group I'm a member of. I'll get back to you.

Oh yes of course, Parcel Motel is a definite, but they do work and Kodi and be side loaded, so all good. I've heard only good about them.

It can be side loaded but on the Fire TV you could not link it so it was in a submenu which was a pain to browse to. You could download a program called Illanba or something like that which allowed you to change the action of an app on main screen to open Kodi, I bought the Fire TV and used for about 3 days and sold it on. The remote was great for the Fire TV but I found it a pain running Kodi.....

There was something on a website recently saying that Amazon might allow you to link non Amazon app on main screen but not sure if true.

As far as I am aware you still cant play anything from Amazon as we are in Ireland,.....

Note these are all personal opinions and I did get the Fire TV on pre-order so might be better now.....

Big Nelly wrote: »

I've just been given these two links, as a guide. Hope this answers your question.

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-shortcut-on-amazon-fire-tv/

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-launch-kodi-xbmc-spmc-and-other-sideloaded-apps-from-the-fire-tv-homescreen/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Can you use apps like showbox and HDCinema on these also?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

neacy69 wrote: »
    Can you use apps like showbox and HDCinema on these also?

Yes but No real need.

Don't work great unless you've a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I've done it on three fire sticks. It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

My streams keep freezing. Anyone know if I get a wi fi booster and connect that to my android box via Ethernet cable should that speed things up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

wawaman wrote: »
    My streams keep freezing. Anyone know if I get a wi fi booster and connect that to my android box via Ethernet cable should that speed things up?

Try for powerline sockets. That will take the wireless element out of the equation.

something like these
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1397640.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BandMember

deckie27 wrote: »
    Try for powerline sockets. That will take the wireless element out of the equation.

something like these
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1397640.htm

Pardon me for being a technological dumbass, but what exactly are those and how do they work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

BandMember wrote: »
    Pardon me for being a technological dumbass, but what exactly are those and how do they work?

They work by sending your internet line through your power line of the socket of your house, so the first one you connect to your router via the Ethernet cable and the next one you plug into your box.

Yep and you can link 4 together, so 1 for the router and then 3 boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭cullenswood

JamboMac wrote: »
    Yep and you can link 4 together, so 1 for the router and then 3 boxes.

Are they any good? Better than just normal WiFi for a Minix X8 box with the router in the next room?

Are they any good? Better than just normal WiFi for a Minix X8 box with the router in the next room?

I use them for my ps4, don't have an android box. But wifi can only go as fast as the slowest thing on the wifi. Definitely will give you as close to your full broadband speed and a more consistent connection.

I watched a movie on the ps4 last night full 1080p and was crystal clear streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BandMember

They work by sending your internet line through your power line of the socket of your house, so the first one you connect to your router via the Ethernet cable and the next one you plug into your box.

Thanks for that. So, basically, it's the same thing as running ethernet cables through every room? That would be very handy in a two story house with thick walls and android boxes in more than one room.... ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Do they slow your normal wifi down at all?

Why would they, they don't connect to your wifi just directly to your router. The things that slow down your wifi are crappy old laptops and other old devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

I use them for my ps4, don't have an android box. But wifi can only go as fast as the slowest thing on the wifi. Definitely will give you as close to your full broadband speed and a more consistent connection.

I watched a movie on the ps4 last night full 1080p and was crystal clear streaming.

Sorry for going off topic but how can you stream a movie on the ps4?
    Is it an app?
    Haven't used the ps4 for anything other than gaming do would like to get the most out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you are streaming HD content or playing games on a couple of devices at a time your WiFi speed would drop, but not because of these plugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I use this Measy RC 12.

No brainer compared with the remote that comes with the box.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement