Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Thanks lads, it's more about the spec of the box. I can configure it myself so will buy elsewhere. I will be running the usual apps on it & hoping to see improvement from my Apple TV 2 on HD Streams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Thanks lads, it's more about the spec of the box. I can configure it myself so will buy elsewhere. I will be running the usual apps on it & hoping to see improvement from my Apple TV 2 on HD Streams.

I'm using a Pipo x7. Its flawless so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Catmologen wrote: »
    He means that the box is overpriced. You could buy the box and configure it yourself for 50 euro less at least. But you may not want to do that...

The price of the box is what it is for small Irish based sellers,there's plenty to consider as to why the price is that.Mainly VAT and import costs,I don't see the €170 - €180 price tag as ripping off.
    There are lots of benefits of buying locally...better support,quick shipping,fast returns/replacements(if needed),no hidden fees,etc,etc.Plus the more people start supporting local business,the faster the prices can start to come down on all these products.
    Now before all the super scrimpers start jumping down my throat,I'm just voicing reality here.I help out a couple of businesses and I know what's involved for the Irish based ones and no I don't get paid for it.I usually bite my lip at some of the comments here.But I'd genuinely like to know what one or two of the regulars save here,by constantly buying plenty of sub-par boxes from overseas.
    Argue if you want,I'm honestly interested in how much you really save and how appropriate it is to resolve hardware issues....with overseas sellers.Thanx

P.S. I'm aware there are guys ripping people off big time,even here in Ireland.But lots are genuine and trying to develop good business....That quoted adverts post,states what's in the setup and how it was done.They are not ripping
    off people in my eyes...Big Nelly you make lots of these comments so I'm just referencing your post(not having a go).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I'm using a Pipo x7. Its flawless so far!

Was reading on a forum about over-heating being a problem with these ?

Was thinking of getting one, but would be leaving it on all day (and maybe all night!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd be tempted to go for the pipo or something similar.
    Like the new windows tablets using the latest low cost Intel chips we're starting to see small desktops with same hardware/software. You should be able to get a decent windows setup for EUR 109-150.

If I needed a new under TV box I'd shop around for something similar to this http://www.banggood.com/VOYO-Smart-Mini-PC-Intel-Bay-Trail-T-CR-Z3735-Windows-8_1-Quad-Core-p-966824.html

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/VOYO-Mini-PC-Windows-8-1-4K-Media-Player-Intel-Z3735F-2G-RAM-64G-ROM-WIFI-Bluetooth---White-341214.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

i have an mobie tv android box and its working great. just one problem . when i try and download a movie and have the download path as usb drive the movie appears to download but i cant find it once finished. if i change the path to internal storage it works and i can copy it over but would prefer to save direct to usb. the drive is fat32 formatted. any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Big Nelly wrote: »
    God that is some rip off, he is charging you over 50 euro to run a free wizard which take 2-3 mins to run......:confused:

Its actually not, I bought the X8h plus from gearbest in december, it was €113, and a2 airmouse cost me €22, Vat and an AnPost charge from customs was nearly €33, all in it was €167.
    He's offering the A2 lite, but its a minimal difference along with the M1 airmouse.
    Also at that time the exchange rate was 1.25/1.00, now its closer to 1.13/1.00

Were I looking to buy now, I'd be seriously looking at this as an option, seeing as it took mine 6 weeks to arrive from china.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

bazzz wrote: »
    The price of the box is what it is for small Irish based sellers,there's plenty to consider as to why the price is that.Mainly VAT and import costs,I don't see the €170 - €180 price tag as ripping off.
    There are lots of benefits of buying locally...better support,quick shipping,fast returns/replacements(if needed),no hidden fees,etc,etc.Plus the more people start supporting local business,the faster the prices can start to come down on all these products.
    Now before all the super scrimpers start jumping down my throat,I'm just voicing reality here.I help out a couple of businesses and I know what's involved for the Irish based ones and no I don't get paid for it.I usually bite my lip at some of the comments here.But I'd genuinely like to know what one or two of the regulars save here,by constantly buying plenty of sub-par boxes from overseas.
    Argue if you want,I'm honestly interested in how much you really save and how appropriate it is to resolve hardware issues....with overseas sellers.Thanx

P.S. I'm aware there are guys ripping people off big time,even here in Ireland.But lots are genuine and trying to develop good business....That quoted adverts post,states what's in the setup and how it was done.They are not ripping
    off people in my eyes...Big Nelly you make lots of these comments so I'm just referencing your post(not having a go).

Answer one question, what is this support you talk of? The guy on the link above is just running the TV add on's wizard, nothing else so how is he supporting anybody?

It is a complete rip off, all this person is doing is buying the box, running the wizard and then selling it on. So they are charging over 50 euro for a wizard that is not there, have they given any cash for each sale to the dev team for tv add on's? :p:p:p I think I can guess the answer to that

If you are helping people set up business then they are better looking at droidsticks etc for a business model, at least they actually add some value to the end user....not just a large price and nothing else.

You picked my post so I answered, I could give you loads more reasons why they are a complete rip off but don't have the time.....

Answer one question, what is this support you talk of? The guy on the link above is just running the TV add on's wizard, nothing else so how is he supporting anybody?

It is a complete rip off, all this person is doing is buying the box, running the wizard and then selling it on. So they are charging over 50 euro for a wizard that is not there, have they given any cash for each sale to the dev team for tv add on's? :p:p:p I think I can guess the answer to that

If you are helping people set up business then they are better looking at droidsticks etc for a business model, at least they actually add some value to the end user....not just a large price and nothing else.

You picked my post so I answered, I could give you loads more reasons why they are a complete rip off but don't have the time.....

I'm not going to argue....but I think you should read my post again.You are 100% wrong on the rip off in that case and so many other cases.You've been spreading this message the whole time and unless you know the actual costing for Irish businesses to import the boxes direct from the manufactures,including the VAT,import duties that's paid.
    Your whole support approach is wrong in many cases,I personally can tell you guys that buy from legit resellers in Ireland get great after sales support.You are tarring everyone with your not so well informed brush.That's not on,how can the small business grow in Ireland and offer competitive prices.When end users are being misinformed and directed outside of the country.
    I suppose I've contradicted myself by saying I'm not going to argue with you.As I said in my initial comment,I usually bite my lip and try not to comment....but this just had to be pointed out and yes it's my opinion...like you have yours.But I'm not looking for an argument,honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭Invincible

Does it state he's charging €50 extra for the wizard?Can't see it.

Someone on here said before they were related to an android box seller on adverts, was it you by any chance bazz? :)

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    Someone on here said before they were related to an android box seller on adverts, was it you by any chance bazz? :)

He has, a number of times.....guy in waterford from memory.....

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

I'm not going to argue....but I think you should read my post again.You are 100% wrong on the rip off in that case and so many other cases.You've been spreading this message the whole time and unless you know the actual costing for Irish businesses to import the boxes direct from the manufactures,including the VAT,import duties that's paid.
    Your whole support approach is wrong in many cases,I personally can tell you guys that buy from legit resellers in Ireland get great after sales support.You are tarring everyone with your not so well informed brush.That's not on,how can the small business grow in Ireland and offer competitive prices.When end users are being misinformed and directed outside of the country.
    I suppose I've contradicted myself by saying I'm not going to argue with you.As I said in my initial comment,I usually bite my lip and try not to comment....but this just had to be pointed out and yes it's my opinion...like you have yours.But I'm not looking for an argument,honestly.

Can you provide more on costs etc? Does this guy buy direct from a manufacturer?

You're also tarring all non-Irish sellers with a large brush there that you can't get good after sales support and all their boxes are knock off.

Also, How can you tell a 'Legit' Irish seller from a non-legit seller? - they're all selling the same thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

I love this idea that just because you are an Irish seller you are incapable of ripping someone off and the high price is because you have to grow your business. There are plenty of other Irish sellers selling similar spec boxes for around 120, thats about the right price point. Caveat emptor in this case.

Mickalus wrote: »
    Can you provide more on costs etc? Does this guy buy direct from a manufacturer?

You're also tarring all non-Irish sellers with a large brush there that you can't get good after sales support and all their boxes are knock off.

Also, How can you tell a 'Legit' Irish seller from a non-legit seller? - they're all selling the same thing...

1 : lol Nelly and Co to the reply;)

2: Can you provide more on costs etc? Does this guy buy direct from a manufacturer?
    Well the guy in Waterford does?What more could I provide on costs for you.

3 :You're also tarring all non-Irish sellers with a large brush there that you can't get good after sales support and all their boxes are knock off.

You are clutching at straws here and that statement is rubbish and petty as a reply.

4 :Also, How can you tell a 'Legit' Irish seller from a non-legit seller? - they're all selling the same thing...

Logic and a small bit of research.

You can all have a go at me,but what I'm stating is mostly if not all truth and can be backed up.I'm not interested in the ones actually ripping off people,just the legit ones.Now I won't make any more comment in this thread,as it's starting to derail.

Final post on this.....

If someone wants to start up a business and add some value I would more than support them, but running a free wizard and then flogging on a box is not a good business model......also seriously you cannot call it a business.....

I ask again if the business you work with provide any support/funding back into the dev community for XBMC/Kodi?

Add some initiative, development, something and then you might be able to call it a business....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭Invincible

Catmologen wrote: »
    I love this idea that just because you are an Irish seller you are incapable of ripping someone off and the high price is because you have to grow your business. There are plenty of other Irish sellers selling similar spec boxes for around 120, thats about the right price point. Caveat emptor in this case.

All about greed and screwing the uninitiated customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Banner12

Hi folks,

I purchased this box==> Sumvision Cyclone Android X4 AMLogic Quad Core Android 4.4 XBMC TV Box Media Streamer Player. I can't post a link unfortunately.
    before Christmas and have found it hit and miss. It freezes when I try to run the preloaded xmbc and will freeze when trying to play a movie from a usb drive. The only solution is to remove and reconnect the power from the box. It has played movies from the usb drive previously

It it a dodgy box or am I doing something wrong. My internet connection is ridicuously slow (1.4 mb max).

If I am in the wrong thread/forum my apologies.

Cheers

Final post on this.....

If someone wants to start up a business and add some value I would more than support them, but running a free wizard and then flogging on a box is not a good business model......also seriously you cannot call it a business.....

I ask again if the business you work with provide any support/funding back into the dev community for XBMC/Kodi?

Add some initiative, development, something and then you might be able to call it a business....

I don't work for anyone,I provide help for them and yes I work with some of the main dev's from a help point on a day to day basis.Plus I organize as much respect for the Devs...in form of donations,boxes to build addons on etc.
    You need to see my point here,also could you just point out to me on the original adverts post this stemmed from....where it says €50 for using the generic wizard?I asked you already,but you didn't point it out.Also reminder to the Catmologen person,that these posts came about because we are talking about the specific Adverts post relating to the Minix X8 H PLUS.Also I don't have a problem with somebody recommending where to buy a box.
    So Big Nelly if you want to continue the discussion,you can PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 southlower13

Where can I get this minix box for 50 euro less than the price on adverts. That would make it 120 euro.Its 116 pounds plus postage on amazon uk and around 160 dollars on gearbest. Would appreciate if someone could give me a link to get this box for 120 euro., seems a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

2: Can you provide more on costs etc? Does this guy buy direct from a manufacturer?
    Well the guy in Waterford does?What more could I provide on costs for you.

3 :You're also tarring all non-Irish sellers with a large brush there that you can't get good after sales support and all their boxes are knock off.

You are clutching at straws here and that statement is rubbish and petty as a reply.

4 :Also, How can you tell a 'Legit' Irish seller from a non-legit seller? - they're all selling the same thing...

Logic and a small bit of research.

You can all have a go at me,but what I'm stating is mostly if not all truth and can be backed up.I'm not interested in the ones actually ripping off people,just the legit ones.Now I won't make any more comment in this thread,as it's starting to derail.

To respond to your questions....
    I wasn't having a go, I was asking valid questions, the fact you're resorting to calling my posts petty says a lot about your weak arguments here. You've not provided much in ways of a solid reply at all.
    There are lots of benefits of buying locally...better support,quick shipping,fast returns/replacements(if needed),no hidden fees,etc,etc.

I help out a couple of businesses and I know what's involved for the Irish based ones

But I'd genuinely like to know what one or two of the regulars save here,by constantly buying plenty of sub-par boxes from overseas.

So again,
    you know what's involved for the irish ones.... please tell more... (really)

I've highlighted your previous posts - how's my reaction to that clutching at straws? How's the statement rubbish and petty?
    "sub par boxes from overseas". People are buying EXACTLY the same boxes from different vendors, and suddenly if you buy direct from over seas they're sub par????? explain that one....

3. Logic
    Small bit of research shows you can get better value if you shop around.
    If you're really buying directly from the manufacturer (and this doesn't mean a guy from China on Ebay) then you should be able to bring in goods, pay taxes and other import charges and put products on the market for close to what competitors are.
    I haven't seen any Irish seller provide a unique service that's better than elsewhere.

I was actually hoping you'd provide some substance to your answers and back up your statements and show how this is good value.
    You've done nothing to demonstrate that thus far, I'm hoping you can now cos I'd prefer to spend my money locally....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Where can I get this minix box for 50 euro less than the price on adverts. That would make it 120 euro.Its 116 pounds plus postage on amazon uk and around 160 dollars on gearbest. Would appreciate if someone could give me a link to get this box for 120 euro., seems a bargain.
    Very much doubt you will find an X8H Plus for 120 without getting it shipped from China (meaning a wait of up to six weeks and possibility of 30e customs) but I too would like to hear such options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

S85 MXQ S805 AmLogic 1GB RAM 4K Quad-Core Android 4.4.2

Would the above box be recommended ? Have been looking through the threads but am going around in circles with different boxes and different sites to buy from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

eamonnq wrote: »
    S85 MXQ S805 AmLogic 1GB RAM 4K Quad-Core Android 4.4.2

Would the above box be recommended ? Have been looking through the threads but am going around in circles with different boxes and different sites to buy from.

For around €40 quid from gearbest you can't go wrong.

Edit
    well saying that one of my ones is ****ed waiting on gearbest to get back to me about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    For around €40 quid from gearbest you can't go wrong.

Edit
    well saying that one of my ones is ****ed waiting on gearbest to get back to me about it.
    Lads get a firetv through parcel motel and it runs xbmc very well. No messing with roms or dodgy power leads. It just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

Lads get a firetv through parcel motel and it runs xbmc very well. No messing with roms or dodgy power leads. It just works.

Is it easy to load xbmc and is it easy to buy and get it sent to Ireland?

I had fire tv, lasted about 3 days and I sold it on :D below are my personal opinions.....I bought when Fire TV was first released, I got one straight after release so it might have improved since...

Con
    The Amazon content does not work in Ireland
    You cannot link non-Amazon app to menus
    Used the Lamba method to link XBMC to app on main menu but wasnt great
    Would be better if you could flash to run standard Android
    xbmc did not seem to run great on box because you are side loading but I didn't spend long setting it up
    If running Showbox etc you cannot link any of these apps to main menu....so you end up with a main menu with loads of app's you cannot use because the content is not available here, annoyed the hell out of me....

Pro
    Nice hardware
    Nice remote
    Very compact neat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

has anyone got a minix x5 mini??? if so what firware is best to run and also is there a kodi version for the box as i can only find gotham???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I had fire tv, lasted about 3 days and I sold it on :D below are my personal opinions.....I bought when Fire TV was first released, I got one straight after release so it might have improved since...

Con
    The Amazon content does not work in Ireland
    You cannot link non-Amazon app to menus
    Used the Lamba method to link XBMC to app on main menu but wasnt great
    Would be better if you could flash to run standard Android
    xbmc did not seem to run great on box because you are side loading but I didn't spend long setting it up
    If running Showbox etc you cannot link any of these apps to main menu....so you end up with a main menu with loads of app's you cannot use because the content is not available here, annoyed the hell out of me....

Pro
    Nice hardware
    Nice remote
    Very compact neat

I don't want any of the Amazon or Android stuff, I just sideloaded xbmc and it's running perfect since last October.
    I've had an atv 2, ouya, pi and I've a nuc 2820 in my other room. I still use the firetv as my main box. It's a flier through the menus and the Bluetooth remote is great. It just does a great job for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

I don't want any of the Amazon or Android stuff, I just sideloaded xbmc and it's running perfect since last October.
    I've had an atv 2, ouya, pi and I've a nuc 2820 in my other room. I still use the firetv as my main box. It's a flier through the menus and the Bluetooth remote is great. It just does a great job for the price.

Does p2p-streams work on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭robbe

Does p2p-streams work on it?

Yes it does work and quite well - I'd agree with the previous poster, compared to ATV2 it's quicker, remote is nice and it's relatively easy to sideload (can even be done through android app rather than the still straightforward adbfire method). Only slightly painful thing is the ability to have the app listed on homescreen which can be done with a few small commands via llama. Replaced atv2 with it and haven't looked back, much better kit and wired/wireless works great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement