Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Storm / Strong winds 26th to 28th October 2013 ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

BBC BRITISH broadcasting company clue is in the name......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    pffft nothing new there. we're lucky that have us on the map at all. bbc completely ignore us.

We dont pay British TV License fees thats why they dont include the republic
    Gas though, the BBC get more viewers in ROI then NI id say :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I thought Sky News still covered Ireland too? And, I don't mean Sky News Ireland when it was on. Yes, the BBC only cover the UK and NI for the reason explained by Clonmel1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Should not matter, geez they cover storms in US, but Ireland, I find it incredible how Sky news weather won't even say the word '' Ireland'' in its weather forecast, it's simple not there . Simply no possibility this storm with hit south of Ireland maybe ? Geez

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

And am I correct to say that as of this time this storm does not even exist yet? That it's not even formed yet? That it may not come to anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Just noticed some airports in southern UK are forecasting 60kt gust in the early hours of Monday.

Gatwick

TAF EGKK 262309Z 2700/2806 21013KT 9999 SCT025
    TEMPO 2700/2701 20020G30KT 6000 RA BKN012
    PROB30
    TEMPO 2700/2701 3000 +RA
    TEMPO 2705/2709 22020G30KT 6000 RA
    PROB40
    TEMPO 2705/2707 21025G40KT 3000 +RA BKN014CB
    BECMG 2709/2712 24020G32KT
    BECMG 2718/2721 20013KT 7000 RA BKN012
    BECMG 2721/2724 19022G35KT
    TEMPO 2722/2801 3000 +RA BKN009
    BECMG 2801/2804 21030G48KT 9999 NSW SCT020
    TEMPO 2803/2806 23038G60KT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Should not matter, geez they cover storms in US, but Ireland, I find it incredible how Sky news weather won't even say the word '' Ireland'' in its weather forecast, it's simple not there . Simply no possibility this storm with hit south of Ireland maybe ? Geez

You are completely wrong. Sky News Weather often mention Ireland and tbh I've heard them mention Donegal more times than RTE weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Curtains21

Due to the generally pessimistic weather forecasts i have downgraded my finish time aspirations for the Dublin marathon on Monday morning :-( But are current best guesses suggesting just a bit wet and windy for dublin monday morning or possibly torrential rain and gales? My missus is getting a chuckle out of my dilemma of what clothes to pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    pffft nothing new there. we're lucky that have us on the map at all. bbc completely ignore us.

Do they report on Norway, Holland, France? No, why? Because they are foreign countries, just like Southern Ireland. You shouldnt moan, at least you get the BBC for free and enjoy commercial free TV. Imagine all you had was the Irish stations, I think I would have to kill myself if I had to watch any of the channels in Ireland, or even worse, pay for a tv licence and still have to endure adverts!

Come on storm, hit strong and cause havoc an mayhem! I love storms, they are so utterly exciting. There are not enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Depends on the weather person on sky, some do indeed mention the Irish Republic, Republic of Ireland, Donegal, Dublin and Cork. Others say Southern Ireland and others don't say anything at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

So will there be anything to take notice of or will it just be a good day or two to hang out the washing? :)

Woken up in Roscommon with heavy Rain and thunder and lightning!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sky news usually gives ireland (north & south) a mention,

anyway nothing happening in the mid-west at the mo, not even a puff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Curtains21 wrote: »
    Due to the generally pessimistic weather forecasts i have downgraded my finish time aspirations for the Dublin marathon on Monday morning :-( But are current best guesses suggesting just a bit wet and windy for dublin monday morning or possibly torrential rain and gales? My missus is getting a chuckle out of my dilemma of what clothes to pack.

For the marathon the weather will be ok. Maybe a shower but probably dry. A breeze you will only notice in a few exposed spots. It might even be behind you. Stick with plan A. I'll still be gunning for 3:10. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

When an F5 tornado or Category 5 hurricane hits Ireland come back to us with this argument. Maybe the extreme SE of Ireland will feel some force but reality is this is a storm that will impact Southern England with the most notable winds.

If you want an Irish forecast then there's plenty of Irish sources both professional and unpaid to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

winds picking up down Ballybunion way

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Weathering wrote: »
    You are completely wrong. Sky News Weather often mention Ireland and tbh I've heard them mention Donegal more times than RTE weather

True,to get the full Irish forecast just use the red button on Sky News,they have a full regional forecast there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

A bit of fun to pass your time while waiting for more wind

The 27 Most Glorious Moments In The History Of BBC Weather
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/the-27-most-glorious-moments-in-the-history-of-bbc-weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Can we get back on topic please!
    Possible Storm/Strong Winds 28th October to 1st November posts only

Start a new thread if you want to discuss TV weather forecasts

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Can someone explain how this storm will ''batter UK'', yet hit Ireland as a breeze seeing as it hits Ireland first

I really believe MT did an excellent job of doing exactly that in a post just a few posts before yours.

I normally never respond like this, but in this case MT's reports is so detailed and exact that I urge you to read the forum. It's not pages and pages back like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm in the SW of the UK and winds beginning to pick up a little here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

4e2dj.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a general windiness long the south east coast at the moment. Clear skies. Good day for a bracing walk! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Apparently the storm for today and into tomorrow morning has been christened St Jude. Named after a feast day which is celebrated tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Its nice and blustry here at the moment.

If time permits, I will pop out and get wind speed reading (albeit it at 2mtrs agl rathr than 10mtrs agl but it will give an idea of things anyways...)

I see that there are a lot of members logged in and watching the weather forum, kinda reminds me of Snow Watch times :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Right, fine "fresh" day out there :)

Blowing steady at 22km/h and gusting to 39km/h from a Southerly direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well the storm appears like it is going to be a real flop! Latest runs showing it just a disturbance in the flow. Still very high winds in the English channel but nowhere near what was expected just yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann just on the news now saying the storm is getting too close to Ireland for comfort now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Met Eireann just on the news now saying the storm is getting too close to Ireland for comfort now

?? Weather check just said it was going to be a big flop?! I'm confused now!

Advertisement