Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Storm / Strong winds 26th to 28th October 2013 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nomnomnom

Have been keeping an eye on the weather here in Dun Laoghaire hoping for a site of some big waves or wind (originally from Donegal so miss the Atlantic wind and waves!). Am I being a bit unrealistic hoping for some rough weather here?

Have just realised this thread is for technical discussion only, sorry folks, I'm not on here much, please delete if this is totally in the wrong thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Apologies in advance for the "what will it be like in my location post " BUT in due to fly home from Manchester to shannon at 9pm tomorrow night on one of the old Aer Arann propellor powered planes and I'm worried about a cancellation ?
    Getting conflicting reports ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

km79 wrote: »
    due to fly home on one of the old Aer Arann propellor powered planes

God rest you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

km79 wrote: »
    Apologies in advance for the "what will it be like in my location post " BUT in due to fly home from Manchester to shannon at 9pm tomorrow night on one of the old Aer Arann propellor powered planes and I'm worried about a cancellation ?
    Getting conflicting reports ?

From what I can see similar weather forecast for both Shannon and Manchester, 15 knot winds gusting to mid-20's tomorrow evening so no real problems there. I would say the flight might be a tad bumpy though...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Darwin wrote: »
    From what I can see similar weather forecast for both Shannon and Manchester, 15 knot winds gusting to mid-20's tomorrow evening so no real problems there. I would say the flight might be a tad bumpy though...

That's what i thought/hoped
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It could be an interesting drive to work tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

It could be an interesting drive to work tomorrow morning.

You working on a bank holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Mesut Ozil wrote: »
    You working on a bank holiday?

Unfortunately, it's not a bank holiday over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The system is even less developed on latest runs. Watching the news headlines is car crash stuff. Serious reputation damage for the UK MetOffice and other Met organisations to come when this passes through with nothing more than a breeze for most in England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

Unfortunately, it's not a bank holiday over here.

Interesting drive to work for me in the morning too, Bournemouth to Brighton!

It's quite windy here now with gusts that are difficult to keep your footing in. The wind had died off to nothing about 6pm and it rained very heavily since then but the wind has picked up considerably in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Horrific scenes along south coast:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=190467

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

The system is even less developed on latest runs. Watching the news headlines is car crash stuff. Serious reputation damage for the UK MetOffice and other Met organisations to come when this passes through with nothing more than a breeze for most in England.

Is there any reason they've yet to hire you?

Mod note
    No need for personal remarks like this - they don't add anything of value to the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep I'm more and more confused as the night goes on, I'd expect it from the papers but even BBC and met office are building it up to apocalyptic proportions. Here in London all the morning trains are cancelled, flights cancelled, people already getting the day off work, people being warned not to go outdoors unless absolutely necessary etc. Either I'm missing something or there's going to be a big backlash against the met tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looking at sky news youd swear hurricane katrina was coming through!

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looking at sky news youd swear hurricane katrina was coming through!

It's nuts!

Have a look at the daily mail headline for tomorrow... go on i dare ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a quiet news weekend, the British media could whip up a frenzy about a cat in a tree so theyre loving this. Poor old Michael Fish was subjected to his own 1987 forecast whilst in the Sky newsroom this morning. The Brits also love a good colour coded alert or a COBRA meeting. As for the UK Met, who'd be a chief forecaster! As the old saying goes, youre damned if you dont and youre damned if you do, in this case theyll be damned as they have...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The usual sky news and Britain over hype of weather events! So ridiculous, Donegal and parts of west Ireland get stronger winds pretty much every year. Really is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

Have a look at the daily mail headline for tomorrow... go on i dare ye!

Where does one find that? Checked the website and can't see anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Ah well - I battoned down the hatches, had the candles at the ready and flasks full of soup to last for days ............... nothing happened ....!!!!??:D

Maybe next weekend ......!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

For those of you who are apparently in London (hello, we've chatted before but you weren't in London then) would expect gusts to about 50 and possibly 60 mph during the late overnight. Gusts to 80 mph are still quite possible on the south coast and in exposed parts of southeast England between 0200 and 0600h. The low is currently starting to develop a closed circulation near Somerset and is headed for the south Midlands and then into the North Sea from Lincs.

There is enough energy available to create some minor wind damage in my estimation, but I would not expect anything too dramatic. France, Belgium and Holland may see considerably stronger gusts.

The key to any significant damage will be thunderstorm development, any high-topped convection will be able to bring down some powerful wind gusts. If there is a swath of moderate damage in England, I would expect it to run just inland from about Shoreham to Canterbury.

No doubt there will be just enough minor damage to prevent a total perception of forecast bust. Will certainly update if I see anything out of line with this assessment which is based on current pressure of 985 mb and 06z forecast of 975 mb.

Unconfirmed reports of a gust of 103mph on the Isles of Scilly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Daily Mail got the aul time machine out to catch that fallen tree.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Reports of 100mph gusts in the Isles of Scilly.

Now a report of 108mph gust on Scilly!! Fupin hell!

Now a report of 108mph gust on Scilly!! Fupin hell!

No way is that correct, almost impossible unless there was some tornadic type event there. An erroneous reading!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

No way is that correct, almost impossible unless there was some tornadic type event there. An erroneous reading!

Indeed, would be mad stuff entirely if that were true.

EDIT: Anyone watching SkyNews? Airport management have been apparently informed by the Met Office that strong winds will continue for a few more hours than originally forecast.

• Advertisement

Indeed, would be mad stuff entirely if that were true.

EDIT: Anyone watching SkyNews? Airport management have been apparently informed by the Met Office that strong winds will continue for a few more hours than originally forecast.

From owner of station
    It is a glitch, I've reset it now. For the last few months the station here has been giving false readings when the wind gets over 50 knots, hopefully we will get it sorted soon.
    The true value would be more like 55-60 knots in the gusts, we had about 10 minutes of strong wind. Its dropped back down now but still gusting to 40 knots. Pressure down to 982.2 mb, still dropping.

Advertisement