Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Storm / Strong winds 26th to 28th October 2013 ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm in the SW of the UK and winds beginning to pick up a little here.

It's getting blustery in Bournemouth at the moment, the clouds overhead seem to be traveling at high speed all morning. We had heavy rain and high winds last night, there's some local flooding and road closures, a few trees down too.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/10760784.UPDATE_with_video__Weather_already_causing_problems_as_severe_storms_predicted_to_bring_winds_of_up_to_80mph_to_Dorset_on_Sunday_night/

The normally calm sea around Boscombe pier is starting to rough up so I'm taking a stroll down to have a look for myself.

http://www.sortedsurfshop.co.uk/webcam_boscombe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Met Eireann just on the news now saying the storm is getting too close to Ireland for comfort now

Ireland will experience it's strongest winds today in association with the parent low. Winds will abate overnight. The so named 'storm' that is to affect southern England won't result in strong winds over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭smokey20

Very, very windy here outside Wexford town... Otherwise a very bright day.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Big gusts blowing around Dublin at the moment, if it picks up a bit more it could be a day to avoid driving.

Still a nice bright day though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Extremely windy here just outside of Derry this morning. Lots of cells moving in over with heavy rain!

EDIT: Just realized as well that I have a handheld anemometer which I didn't take with me to record wind speeds :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

This shows the storm mid Atlantic from around 10.15 this morning. Still has a long way to travel before it reaches us or the UK.
    Looks like it's merged with the jetstream though, should speed things up?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/natl/flash-rgb.html

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

smokey20 wrote: »
    Very, very windy here outside Wexford town... Otherwise a very bright day.

yeah it's picking up, just back from curracloe beach, it an angry sea, there is ~100 peeps here. :o ladies island would have been better as it's more exposed and wind is now southernly, or maybe west cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One of the Met.ie team was on Today FM saying its not going to get much worse than it is now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Met Éireann on the local radio saying that it is not the wind that they fear, but the possible associated flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The 'storm' is still being hyped up to apocalyptic levels by sections of the media here, I can see the met office taking a bit if a hammering tomorrow unless there's a late upgrade in severity. Windy today but nothing too interesting

• Advertisement

Quite windy here at the moment. I reckon the wind we are experiencing today will be a lot stronger than most experience in England tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Been very gusty and stormy here in Castlebar since early morning, does not show any signs of abating, power went for a short period as well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Xenji wrote: »
    Been very gusty and stormy here in Castlebar since early morning, does not show any signs of abating, power went for a short period as well.

Same as, nice thunder and lightening last night from 10.30pm and was still at it around 4.30am.
    Was torture on the bike this morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

yop wrote: »
    Same as, nice thunder and lightening last night from 10.30pm and was still at it around 4.30am.
    Was torture on the bike this morning! :D

Yeah woke me up last night, only about two rumbles, was there more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Storm for next weekend could be interesting according to Evelyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Quite rough sea here on Galway bay, but the wind has slackened in last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Would i be right in thinking that Cork could get the worst of this tonight? Any thoughts on expected gusts in the area?

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Would i be right in thinking that Cork could get the worst of this tonight? Any thoughts on expected gusts in the area?

It will be relatively calm in Cork tonight, no high winds are going to affect Ireland as a result of this system.

Going to be a lot head scratching in the morning in the UK methinks. Latest GFS has the storm quite weak.

Rtavn181.png

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems the cost to prepare for the storm will be way higher that cost to repair storm damage, as still no storm formed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Dosnt look like much of a storm on the latest charts:confused: this is what happens when you over hype a storm they can have this so called storm looks abit rubbish:pac:

They had a proper weather forecast on sky news with a presenter there she said winds up to force 12 where are they gettin this from:confused: what do i know their the experts i suppose:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

UK Met Shipping Forecast for this evening/night- Areas with winds up to Hurricane Force 12:

-German Bight
    -Humber
    -Thames
    -Dover
    -Wight

Areas with winds >Force 9:

-Portland
    -Plymouth
    -Biscay
    -FitzRoy
    -Sole
    -Lundy
    -Fastnet

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~All

According to BBC news, lots of train and possibly plane services cancelled tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Going to be a lot head scratching in the morning in the UK methinks. Latest GFS has the storm quite weak.

V_Moth wrote: »
    UK Met Shipping Forecast for this evening/night- Areas with winds up to Hurricane Force 12...

Huh??:confused::confused:

There will be a swathe of very strong winds going through the channel and 950hPa wind predictions do indicate the potential for gusts to 70kt in the channel and along the south England coast. (which are hurricane force GUSTS)

Its now a Superstorm according to Sky News:rolleyes: and the Met Office said its not a storm you see every year....youd swear it was a Cat5 Hurricane must be a slow news day:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

And they have named it "St Jude"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

"O most holy apostle, Saint Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the Church honoureth and invoketh thee universally, as the patron of hopeless cases, and of things almost despaired of. Pray for me, who am so miserable. Make use, I implore thee, of that particular privilege accorded to thee, to bring visible and speedy help where help was almost despaired of. Come to mine assistance in this great need, that I may receive the consolation and succor of Heaven in all my necessities, tribulations, and sufferings, particularly the lack of a forecasted storm and that I may praise God with thee and all the elect throughout eternity. I promise thee, O blessed Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favour, to always honour thee as my special and powerful patron, and to gratefully encourage devotion to thee. Amen."

The perfect storm is on tv now lol:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Huh??:confused::confused:

oops - misread post

Advertisement